The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

13 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I just looked at the Gibson page.  If I were in the market for a Les Paul, just within the Original series alone I think it would take me a month to figure out which finish is "best" and even then I'd probably stress about it afterwards.  Lordy those are beautiful guitars.

Any idea on the main difference between the '50s and '60s models (not the P90 version of '50s)?

Different tuning machines, hotter pickups in the 60's. (Burstbucker 1 and 2s, vs Burstbucker 61's). Differenr knobs. Fatter neck on the 50s.

45 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I just looked at the Gibson page.  If I were in the market for a Les Paul, just within the Original series alone I think it would take me a month to figure out which finish is "best" and even then I'd probably stress about it afterwards.  Lordy those are beautiful guitars.

Any idea on the main difference between the '50s and '60s models (not the P90 version of '50s)?

Ooooh, JJ is going to be LP #3!  I think the biggest differences are the neck profile and pickups.  Here's a better list of diffs:

https://www.reidys.com/blog/gibson-les-paul-standard-50s-vs-60s-whats-the-difference-2801/

• Like 1

Just wow. Gibson made a really nice guitar, here. It's flawless from head to toe. Plays great, sounds better. I usually prefer the more vintage voiced pickups, but these Burstbucker 61's have a touch more "oomph" that really shines when you crank them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

Can't wait to see yours, Goredho.

I’ll post pics when it comes in.  Collecting some inspiration at the Aristocrats show at the Dirty Dog, atm.  Can’t imagine the unburst is going to be as purty as yours.

Edited by Goredho

This thing is a beast. I go from playing it for 20 minutes, to staring at it for another 20. I keep seeming to play Zep riffs. Go figure. 

I set it in the case on the floor, and one of my dogs went and laid next to it and set her chin over the top. Good sign. Lol.

Edited by Deej
  • Like 3

Just watched a rerun of Tommy Shaw with Cleveland's Contemporary Youth Orchestra, and while he mostly played acoustic guitar and mandolin, he brought out a couple of gorgeous Les Pauls -- one blonde with almost no burst, whereas the other appeared to be a tea burst with a whammy bar:

Image result for tommy shaw "contemporary youth orchestra"

Side note:  the guy is a phenomenal musician.  Say what you will about Styx, but those songs are more complex than one might think, and heavily grounded in English folk progressions.  His voice is still absolutely superb at age 63 (when taped), and he's obviously a smokin' rock guitarist.  It's a thoroughly enjoyable concert.(AXSTV, 340 on DirecTV).  The youth orchestra absolutely kicks ass, in particular a young guy in the concertmaster position (violin).

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Like 1

Just watched a rerun of Tommy Shaw with Cleveland's Contemporary Youth Orchestra, and while he mostly played acoustic guitar and mandolin, he brought out a couple of gorgeous Les Pauls -- one blonde with almost no burst, whereas the other appeared to be a tea burst with a whammy bar:
17187_2.jpg

Side note:  the guy is a phenomenal musician.  Say what you will about Styx, but those songs are more complex than one might think, and heavily grounded in English folk progressions.  His voice is still absolutely superb at age 63 (when taped), and he's obviously a smokin' rock guitarist.  It's a thoroughly enjoyable concert.(AXSTV, 340 on DirecTV).  The youth orchestra absolutely kicks ass, in particular a young guy in the concertmaster position (violin).
Styx drummer is a badass. His video of the impossible drum beat is wicked

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Yeah, Todd Sucherman is a monster.  I don't understand drummers -- half of them can't tie their shoes but they can get all 4 limbs working completely independently with about a half a brain controlling it all.  (No offense, drummers, I'm trying to be complimentary here.  That video and lick are insane.)

After waking up early and spending a good part of my day with the new Les Paul, I am really impressed with it. Hands down the best playing guitar I own. I fully expected to need a setup, but intonation is spot on, and has a nice, low action with zero frets buzzing out. Very easy to play .

• Like 1

Both of you, remember to install strap locks on those bad boys.   Take it from me, the owner of this Les Paul that fell off its strap one night 

20170115-132337.jpg

You can always return it to stock by taking the strap locks out, but you can never return a cracked headstock to stock. 

Edited by Mojo Hand
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Topper13 said:

@Goredho

I'll bet that LP sounds amazing plugged into the Dirty Shirley. Happy NGD to both you and Deej.

Thanks and absolutely sounded great.  I’ve played it through the mini dirty Shirley, Vox and Orange and I loved the tone through all.  Some really awesome smooth jazzy tones available when you tweak down the tone knobs.  These pickups are not as hot as the burstbucker pros, but better imo clean/smooth & classic fuzz tones.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Image result for tommy shaw "contemporary youth orchestra"

I never cared for Styx until I saw the concert they did without Dennis DeYawn. I never realized that the other guitar player is also awesome, and their vocals were better, made those songs really kick up a notch minus the doucherag Roboto guy.

The guitar that has been in my room rotation the longest is my 2016 Worn Cherry SG. I just love the resonance. Second is the Epiphone Les Paul that I dang near stole from the pawn shop. And I still have the Squier Bullet butterscotch Tele that I keep behind the computer desk. I also just pulled out the 90s Epiphone Les Paul Junior with P90 because I finally ordered a new set of tuners for it to install, some Gibson style vintage Wilkinsons. I'm not at all bashful about being Gibson or Gibsonesque, despite their recent issues.

Edited by DougO
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

I want to hear clips of that awesome unburst through that Diezel.

emoji869.pngemoji41.pngemoji869.png

So here are some examples of the LP through the Diezel recorded on my phone.  I was playing fingerstyle, and I generally suck, so hold the tomatoes :P

Channel 1 (bright & clean)

Channel 2 (smooth)

Channel 3 (overdriven)

Edit: After playing through the amps some more, I clearly like the tones coming through with the Orange & Dirty Shirley best.  Both of them, I can get some great dynamics with and changes in tone based on how hard I play.  I can get an almost clean sound playing softly that goes into a pretty strong crunch when I play more strongly.  I may have to pick one of them up.
Edited by Goredho
  • Like 5