The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

BTW, anyone actually believe the story that the guitars were truly unsalvageable/had unsafe components?  I bet they finally realized they were such shit and to give them away, it would hurt their image even more than Henry already has.  Plus, those things would still be out in the public.  Destroyed accordingly?  There has to be a better, more effective way to destroy guitars.   

37 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

That gal has an extraordinarily nimble musical mind.  Everything about what she does is effortless, and quick, but not rushed.  Wow.

And even has a perfect bluegrass name.  Molly Tuttle could be a character in the Andy Griffith Show, a-singing with these boys.    Maybe the Darlins' long lost cousin, Cousin Molly Tuttle from over Mount Pilot way.  

26023605673_8375910799_b.jpg

6 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

BTW, anyone actually believe the story that the guitars were truly unsalvageable/had unsafe components?  I bet they finally realized they were such shit and to give them away, it would hurt their image even more than Henry already has.  Plus, those things would still be out in the public.  Destroyed accordingly?  There has to be a better, more effective way to destroy guitars.   

There is never a good reason to destroy guitars.  I get the Pete Townshend thing, although I don't like it, but at the VERY least they could have sold those guitars for a song (heh) and donated 100% of the revenue to charity.  Or, they could have donated them to schools, churches, after-hours programs, whatever.  It was a completely tone-deaf move.  Not surprising.

14 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

It's almost as if they did it and filmed it...because they wanted people to know:  "That old CEO guy who sucked?  His day has passed..."

There is never a good reason to destroy guitars.  I get the Pete Townshend thing, although I don't like it, but at the VERY least they could have sold those guitars for a song (heh) and donated 100% of the revenue to charity.  Or, they could have donated them to schools, churches, after-hours programs, whatever.  It was a completely tone-deaf move.  Not surprising.

4 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Holy shit.  That is that cutie from The Goodbye Girls.  And good lord, I would need 5 right hands to keep up with that pace.  She did that effortlessly.  

I always loved this version of "Gentle On My Mind"  I first heard about her from an interview with Buddy Miller.

FFS

(When the fiddle kicks in is one of those... moments.)

4 hours ago, hullabelew said:

My favorite term is "Unsafe Components".  What a load of crap.  

If one of those guitar strings had gotten into the hands of a severely depressed individual he may have hung himself or cut himself real bad.

2 hours ago, Anton Chigurh said:

Crossposting this photo a little from some other threads I put it in, but can anyone identify this guitar?

3598dc83bdc5870a0dfe457b03859784.jpg

I believe that is a Bruno Royal Artist, and like DougO said, it was a Japanese import. 

Do you know what year that photo was taken? From what I can tell, the model SRV is playing came out in 1970. It looks like the earlier models from around 1967 had the input jack on the front of the guitar. 

F542-CC6-B-410-F-481-D-812-E-8-B4-B1-CBD

• Like 5

I believe that is a Bruno Royal Artist, and like DougO said, it was a Japanese import. 

Do you know what year that photo was taken? From what I can tell, the model SRV is playing came out in 1970. It looks like the earlier models from around 1967 had the input jack on the front of the guitar. 

F542-CC6-B-410-F-481-D-812-E-8-B4-B1-CBDB370.jpg

1971. See this post.

That definitely looks like it. Nice job. Thanks!

On 8/2/2019 at 5:51 PM, tbone_ said:

Recommend me a comfy leather acoustic strap that extends to at least 60 inches. What ya got?

https://kochleather.com/collections/accessories/products/adjustable-horween-leather-guitar-strap-for-acoustic-or-electric-guitar

This guy makes the straps for Larrivee. If you wanted one a bit longer, email him and he will make what you need. Solid guy and Horween is top notch leather. 

15 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve listened to that JB clip no fewer than 67,000 times. Mercy.

Is it bad that I think that if he dressed like that on stage I’d like him more? For some reason I find the suit/shades/slicked hair off-putting.

Yeah, there's still something else about him that doesn't quite fit with the guitar player thing. He looks more like a douchebag who would be throwing batteries at football players from the 40th row in Philly game than a guitar slinger. Great player, though.

I agree.  His persona throws me off.  He's obviously a brilliant player, but I lump him in more with a bizarro blues-Malmsteen than I do the greats of rock & blues.  I just never got a feeling of true soul out of the guy the way I always did with Page, Clapton, EVH, etc.

Am I wrong or is nobody else hearing his spin on "Eruption" in that take?  It's not a direct interpretation, but the bombs and certain other licks make me think he was definitely channeling Eddie.  Most likely it was total improv where he was working out on the guitar and just threw in some classic Eddie moves for fun.

• Like 1

I hear it.

And I agree with your take on him. Fantastic player. And I really want to like him and I try all the time. But something about his persona just rubs me weird. And I’ve never felt really any soul in his playing. There’s more feeling in the Lovestruck Baby into alone than in JB’s entire catalogue.

But like I said, I really do want to like him.

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Goredho said:

Will be seeing Joe Bonamassa at Red Rocks Amphitheater on Monday.  Am pretty stoked.

I was very close to making the trek out to Pasadena to see him the other month (coincidently, given the current convo about his "playing with an EVH guitar, but does he deserve/have the "heart" to play an EVH guitar lol convo"). I WILL make one of his shows soon. Believe it.

If he does something with Beth Hart again, brother, I will absolutely make that happen regardless of trekking distance.

• Like 1

On 8/7/2019 at 1:41 AM, BoomMF said:

Those top comments tho:

He's super fast, but other than the speed it's pretty basic.   I slowed it down, and the first part is just straight E minor pentatonic, the middle is D minor pentatonic, and then he does an E minor (aeolian) scale pattern before ending with E minor pentatonic.  He hardly even throws in a passing note or rhythm change; it's all just straight up and down the scales vertically and then moving to a different position horizontally.   Practice your pentatonics, boys!

Edit:  someone mentioned Eruption above, and I just put that on to compare.  Eddie starts in A minor pentatonic but almost immediately does a weird pull-off to the open B string followed by the tritone D# note at the 6th fret and goes from there.   Much more advanced and difficult. 

Edited by Mojo Hand

3 hours ago, Mojo Hand said:

He's super fast, but other than the speed it's pretty basic.   I slowed it down, and the first part is just straight E minor pentatonic, the middle is D minor pentatonic, and then he does an E minor (aeolian) scale pattern before ending with E minor pentatonic.  He hardly even throws in a passing note or rhythm change; it's all just straight up and down the scales vertically and then moving to a different position horizontally.   Practice your pentatonics, boys!

Edit:  someone mentioned Eruption above, and I just put that on to compare.  Eddie starts in A minor pentatonic but almost immediately does a weird pull-off to the open B string followed by the tritone D# note at the 6th fret and goes from there.   Much more advanced and difficult. 

I was just posting because I thought the top comments from an impressive list of obviously more real guitarists were funny. Bonamassa is clearly junk and he could stand to learn a thing or two from us.

• Like 1

I’m sorry I was told there would be no actual music theory involved in this thread

ac23736cdcfa4dd5d1b891a1d1e77aa7.jpg

2 hours ago, BoomMF said:

I was just posting because I thought the top comments from an impressive list of obviously more real guitarists were funny. Bonamassa is clearly junk and he could stand to learn a thing or two from us.

I don't claim to have his talent. I just think his music is not the least bit inspiring.

• Like 1