The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I agree.  Technical wizardry is just that.  I mean it is jaw dropping what some people can do.  But if I want to alter my mood or revel in a feeling - joy, melancholy, what have you - I'm not putting these guys on.  It doesn't move me particularly, but that's just me.  Music is like ice cream - I may enjoy mint chocolate and you enjoy strawberry but they're all good but in different ways.  
I am a fan of the current trend I see of metal backing bands with hot singers.  Thanks Evanescence for that particular business model. 

And sometimes, you’re looking for some nice European cheese:

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:
Imma just ignore that Sweetwater news.

Regarding that Polyphia track: I dig that kind of playing but I need a little more groove. I like stuff like this:

[/url]

Then of course there is the master:

Grooving is why I plucked Polyphia out of this new wave of chops driven math rock. They are skilled beyond whatever level exists 10 or so places above me, beyond what I thought the ceiling was, but they groove. (Like, can you listen to Danny Carey and also not think this Polyphia drummer is on that grooving spectrum? Flippin nay.)

Polyphia isn't as angry as I'd like, but there is evil is that drummer and bassist.

Can you listen to this and not feel grooved?

Flippin nay.

(And it's been some time since I watched a band's video and couldn't ID a single one of the guitars. That's kinda cool for a lot of reasons.)

Chon is another mathy group whose songs tell a story musically. And they quite possibly groove.

Edit:  hope you like Animals as Leaders (I can take them or leave them), because Tapa decided everything needed to be a link to their videos. (Fixed.)

Edited by BoomMF

2 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Used/Fender/Vintage-1970-Twin-Reverb-2x12-Tube-Guitar-Combo-Amp.gc
I want a twin reverb. What’s a good year on these? Is this one good? Just scrolling through GC’s vintage section 

Just curious. Is it just a nostalgic thing, or do you actually dig the sound?

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

They're heavy as hell and are hard to make sound good.

Best of luck.  I'd get an old Princeton myself.

They're definitely heavy as hell.  But I've never heard anyone say it was hard to make a Twin Reverb sound good.  Still, I'd rather have a Deluxe Reverb all day long.

That 1970 is a pretty good year.  Fender messed with the largest of their amp line a bit in 1968 and 1969, but I think I read that they undid the worst of it by 1970 (and you can get a tech to undo them if not.  It will have a pine cabinet in 1970 and no master volume, which is a good thing.  Seems like a sweet spot, but Guitar Center seems pretty proud of that one at that price.  For a while, the big amps were going for a bit less.  But it seems used guitar and amp prices are pretty stupid high right now.

• Hook 'Em 1

I’m a huge fan of silver face non master volume twins. Not crazy expensive compared to a black face and most towns should have an amp tech who can make them sound absolutely glorious with a just a couple of minor mods. Best pedal platform there is IMO.

But yes they are heavy af. An alternative is to get a dual showman head, which is just basically a twin, and use with a cabinet.

I love deluxes for sure, but to my ears a twin (or DS) just has balls that a deluxe doesn’t.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

I’m a huge fan of silver face non master volume twins. Not crazy expensive compared to a black face and most towns should have an amp tech who can make them sound absolutely glorious with a just a couple of minor mods. Best pedal platform there is IMO.

But yes they are heavy af. An alternative is to get a dual showman head, which is just basically a twin, and use with a cabinet.

I love deluxes for sure, but to my ears a twin (or DS) just has balls that a deluxe doesn’t.

For sure.  The answer for can I make this smaller Fender amp sound like a Twin Reverb/Dual Showman, the answer is no.  Nothing sounds like that. 

24 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Could be that I've just played some duds.  In my experience, the ones I played stayed clean too far up in the volume range, and were a little brittle.

And, heavy as hell, which was the icing on the cake of "nah".

Plug one of these in. 

download (18).jpeg

I did some work on a Twin Reverb for Foggy a few years ago. Instead of a rectifier tube it had this plug covered in silicone. A little research and I figured out it was a home made solid state replacement for that tube. A Solid State rectifier sounds cleaner and more piercing. Back in the day they were all about that bright, clean headroom and thats what Fender spent the 70's chasing.

Guy coulda saved himself the trouble for $17 at Stewmac.

https://www.stewmac.com/electronics/amps/tubes-valves/tube-amp-doctor-solid-state-rectifier/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=shopping&utm_campaign=2021-08-gp&gclid=CjwKCAjw4KyJBhAbEiwAaAQbE1irivsepGZlyIvYrwgquLdfDhrpKLLr9YcUb7aLmrLkDcrJybRwPBoCBQkQAvD_BwE

Yeah, I had a 50 W Marshall JCM900 head that never, ever sounded as good as my buddy's 50W JCM800 head.

One of the main differences?  My JCM900 had a solid state rectifier, his JCM800 had a tube rectifier.

Both lines varied over time, though, but depending on release date, the JCM800 could be a fantastic amp.  I don't think the JCM900 ever hit that mark for anyone with ears.

There's a JCM800 in my practice space that I play through sometimes that is just incredible sounding. I dont know the variables over the years, but I'd happily trade my 1987x for one that sounds like this one. For one reason, my 1987x doesn't have a Master volume so it has to be cranked loud to get the sound Im after. I can dial in nice Marshall crunch with that JCM800 and not even need earplugs.

20 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Ok I’m listening what year? 64? Is that the sweet spot? I have a hot rod deville but want something else 

The DR on the left is a 68 that I bought non-functioning a few years ago. AUTF brought it back to life with a cap job. It’s an early silverface with blackface circuit. The one on the right is an early 64 that I rescued in pieces in a trade and restored over the past couple years. For some, blackface era circuitry (63-67) is a sweet spot. Most early silverface circuits can be blackface’d pretty easily by a good amp tech.

1 hour ago, Foggy Notion said:

For some, blackface era circuitry (63-67) is a sweet spot. Most early silverface circuits can be blackface’d pretty easily by a good amp tech.

My Princeton was a '68 silverface that was apparently exactly the same as a '67 blackface out of the factory.  Someone had done some mods, though, but it sounded great.  Scrappy Jud liked to record on it.  It could get some good crunch.

For some reason I sold it, because I am a dumbass.

I produced & engineered an album for a bunch of Austin teenagers in the early 'aughts.  They had a thing for G'n'R and hair metal.  It's the only guitar amp on this tune, no pedals, just a Les Paul straight into the amp.  For all their flaws, they could write some hooks.  The guitarist reminded me of Joe Perry in so many ways, including his look, but he played a little more metal, a little less blues.

Chemical_Imbalance.mp3

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 3

17 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

My Princeton was a '68 silverface that was apparently exactly the same as a '67 blackface out of the factory.  Someone had done some mods, though, but it sounded great.  Scrappy Jud liked to record on it.  It could get some good crunch.

Details please and thank you.  

7 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Details please and thank you.  

Not much to say . . . I recorded the demos for one of the Loose Diamonds albums and he'd play my Princeton as much as his tweed Peavey Classic.  (That's not a bad amp, either, even though it says "Peavey" on it.)  Later I engineered a bunch of different records that he produced, and he'd sometimes guest on my Princeton then, too.

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Buzzrock said:

I’ve always heard that Twins are just stupid loud. Never played one though.

I have a Super Reverb, and in order to get it to break up, it has to be so loud that you would never ever sit in the same room with it.   Not coincidentally, it’s the amp I play the least. 

You can pull out a tube, which helps a little… but not nearly enough.  

I might try some of these other mods:

http://fenderguru.com/amps/super-reverb/

7 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

I have a Super Reverb, and in order to get it to break up, it has to be so loud that you would never ever sit in the same room with it.   Not coincidentally, it’s the amp I play the least. 

Would a Power Soak help with that?  I've never tried one.  Don't know where it would be inserted, might need a mod.  I think they go between the amp output and the speaker.

39 minutes ago, Buzzrock said:

I’ve always heard that Twins are just stupid loud. Never played one though.

They are.  I have a 66 and it's exactly as you say.  Stupid loud.  Clean clean all day long.  Takes pedals very well though.  I just have nowhere to play that thing out.  

I have a '68 Princeton that seems to get dirty on occasions, but only on those occasions where it feels like it.  Not sure about that.  In any case, it's been my goto amp for decades now.

20 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Would a Power Soak help with that?  I've never tried one.  Don't know where it would be inserted, might need a mod.  I think they go between the amp output and the speaker.

Someone here, probably @Paul Wesley suggested an attenuator made by some fella in Austin I believe, but I never got around to buying it.  I'm watching for them on Reverb though.

I have an attenuator… a really nice one, but I guess I don’t love the sound of the amp enough to patch it in. 

I’m sort of lazy that way… I just want to sit down and start playing.  It’s why I spent so much time getting a good pedalboard together… because I hate having a guitar hanging around my neck while I’m fucking with patch cables and 9-volts.  

Baseball caps and fender amps… I see guys all around me making them look good and sound good, but I just feel awkward and unnatural with either one. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

If you have a Sweetwater account, go put $5k worth of shit on your wishlist by tomorrow. They will draw one winner in October to get their wishlist. 

I've got a Jimmy Page white Tele, a Black Magick amp, and a couple of pedals on mine. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1