The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

If we all chip in a couple hundred each maybe we could take turns with it.

first-les-paul@1400x1050.jpg

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/les-pauls-number-one-auction/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Les Paul’s number one guitar set for auction at Christie’s

The first Gibson Les Paul owned and approved by Les Paul himself is set to go under the hammer at Christie's in New York on 13 October 2021.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Drool 1

I was never really a big gold top guy, but the sheen on that one isn't like modern production models. I would give about tree fiddy for a replica of that setup, not necessarily antiqued, but the pickups, funky trem, chicken-head knobs and stuff (including un-broken headstock).

Edited by DougO

Fail report for the day. I came reasonably close to NGD touchdown at Guitar Center a while ago. I've been wanting a decent acoustic to play around with since my old Epiphone suddenly seems to kinda suck. It pissed me off that all the good stuff was locked on the wall. I would have stongly considered a Taylor MIM if I found just the right one, but screw GC and their commie guitar locks. Not worth getting assistance from one of their "experts."

Played on a bunch of budget models and was decently pleased with a couple of Yamahas and a Mitchell. Never played with a Mitchell before but it wasn't bad. Still, a bit too beginnery, even though my playing level does not remotely approach my age or guitar ownership quotient. I passed.

It's a shame there seems to be no place to find a decent used acoustic any longer, since the pawn shop arena has hit rock bottom as far as buyable inventory.

5 hours ago, DougO said:

If we all chip in a couple hundred each maybe we could take turns with it.

first-les-paul@1400x1050.jpg

https://guitar.com/news/gear-news/les-pauls-number-one-auction/?utm_source=hootsuite&utm_medium=&utm_term=&utm_content=&utm_campaign=

Les Paul’s number one guitar set for auction at Christie’s

The first Gibson Les Paul owned and approved by Les Paul himself is set to go under the hammer at Christie's in New York on 13 October 2021.

That guitar is 70 years old and the finish has aged better than the ones on the new Murphy Labs Les Pauls.

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

11 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

I really like the look of these.  

image.thumb.png.f83f54bd374a66b45d60aebc95a6107f.png

Wow.  I *really* like that color combo.  To me, that color scheme screams "jetglo Rickenbacker," which I think is cool.  I like guitars that don't seem to fit easily into a "country" or "rock" or "metal" or "punk" box... guitars that sort of straddle genres and are hard to put in a category.  I think this is why I like the Telemasters so much.  

Anyway, that made me look up Rickenbacker pictures to see if my impression was correct.  It's not exactly the Rickenbacker jetglo color template - the knobs and the metal pickup covers are a little different -  but it's very close.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-19-at-8-43-15-PM.png

Would it look as good with a maple neck?  That's the question I'm asking myself.

Edited by Paul Wesley
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Wow.  I *really* like that color combo.  To me, that color scheme screams "jetglo Rickenbacker," which I think is cool.  I like guitars that don't seem to fit easily into a "country" or "rock" or "metal" or "punk" box... guitars that sort of straddle genres and are hard to put in a category.  I think this is why I like the Telemasters so much.  

Anyway, that made me look up Rickenbacker pictures to see if my impression was correct.  It's not exactly the Rickenbacker jetglo color template - the knobs and the metal pickup covers are a little different -  but it's very close.

Screen-Shot-2021-08-19-at-8-43-15-PM.png

Would it look as good with a maple neck?  That's the question I'm asking myself.

I just bought a jetglo snd he’s it is awesome

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Gretsch created the Filtertron around the same time that Gibson created their original humbucker. My '58 Gretsch Anniversary has a single pickup, but its a Filtertron stamped PAF which is cool.

TV Jones started making a recreation of the Filtertron sometime in the late 90s or early 2000's, after Gretsch was long gone. When they revived the Gretsch brand in the early 2000's, most people preferred TV Jones version to Gretsch's own. In fact, most of the top of the line Gretsches still come with the TV Jones version installed - including all 3 of mine, though then Billy-Bo has the higher output Powertron version.

I posted audio clips from the TV Jones site up thread a day or two ago. They keep the bite and twanginess of a single coil, but still have the warmth of a humbucker.

He offers several versions of it now, with multiple mounting configurations. The TV Classic is where its at, thats the original great Gretsch sound. Everything I do and try, I always end up back at them. I put a set in my V and think I created a perfect guitar. Plays like a Gibson, sounds like a Gretsch.

Edit - I also said this upthread, but they are a very popular choice for Telecasters because the provide plenty of twang.

BTW, I met Tom V Jones, the man who makes them, at NAMM one year. Very nice guy.

• Hook 'Em 1

14 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

They make a 3 pickup model called “the Liverpool” for around 3600. Then they have the “John Lennon signature”. That’s in the 5000s I think

I've seen those.  They've had various iterations of Beatle guitars for some time.  The "360/12 v64" and "325 v59" come to mind.  No matter the label, they ain't cheap.

The thing is, I've never played a Ric guitar that fit my hand well.  I start playing those cowboy chords and all my fingers are stuck together.  And I don't have particularly big hands.  Doesn't stop me from wanting one though.  

image.thumb.png.1d9bbd55b7ab12daff0027cd670f742a.png

• Like 1
  • Drool 1

Very true for me. For better or worse. Sometimes I wanna quit cause I can't get the sound I'm looking for, other times I love my sound.

Last week after the bar closed we were hanging out and dude I will eventually be in a band with was there. I think he's a great front man in one band and a great lead guitar player in another he's in. He always tells me how great my sound is, always telling me I have it in my fingers.

So I bring him upstairs to show off the bedroom rig ive been jamming on. I can't get enough of it. Just sounds like Rock and Roll in every way I love it.

I handed him the V and cranked the Marshall louder than I probably should at 2:30am.

He sounded like hell. Sharp, shrill, piercing. He kept turning knobs, "how do you tweak in that sound?"

I dont know if he needs a drummer or if it was the booze, but it was erratic and he had no time. You would think he juat started and somebody showed him a pentatonic scale. There was nothing musical about what was coming out. So we turned it off and went downstairs and hung out some more. Me thinking maybe something was wrong w my amp. I didn't pick up the guitar at all while up there.

Next morning I crank it up and get a big smile from crunch I was pulling out of an A chord. Just how I want it to sound.

Little bit of a Ray Charles experience.

Still want to be in a band with the guy, technically I already am.

I was in your neck of the woods this week but didn’t have any time to get up to the city. I’m hoping the stars align in September and I have a weekend there. Definitely swinging by the bar if so!

Thought I had found a deal on a used Taylor today, but the neck was too jacked up. So I decided to concentrate on getting my old Epiphone more playable, tweaked the neck, shaved down the plastic bridge insert. Much better, and it was free.

Renewed Old Guitar Day, I guess.

• Hook 'Em 2

17 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Taylor necks are super easy to recalibrate.

I might have considered it further if Guitar Center wasn't a dumpster fire. It was a used 114ce the had bolted to the wall with their stupid lock on it and some jackass was hogging up the acoustic room getting the dipshit employee to take down guitar after guitar that he wasn't going to buy. GC flunky could not smell the cash burning a hole in my pocket, possibly because of the goofy mask he was wearing.

From what I could tell with limited access the neck was bowed and there was probably room to shim the bridge piece and get it right, but I figured it wasn't meant to be after waiting half an hour and just bailed. It was 20 years old and I was afraid it might be somewhat played out, from what little I could see.

6 minutes ago, Deej said:

Yeah, I need to go down the pickup rabbit hole. It was a cheap Tele that was thrown in as a bonus on a trade, but it plays well and the body is pretty. 

I have a set of Telecaster pickups that I pulled off my Telemaster.  They are stock wound (the run of guitars that mine came from had pickups and hardware that were all from the Fender custom shop).  I replaced these with a set of underwound Fralins.

PM me an offer if interested.  I'll say yes.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1