The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I got confused until I found this picture to see what you meant about the ashtray and the P90 bridge route.  I can't wait for our new guitar to be built!  Every time I go to Warmoth, I get overwhelmed by all of the options.  

http://gretschpages.com/media/img/fretboard/2015/6/111212-Tele P90-0808.jpg.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1

Appreciate y’all’s  input.  

As for ferrule spacing, I think wider is better for lining up with P90’s, right?
If you do a wider spacing i think you'll want the compound radius fingerboard that Warmoth offers. I'd get their recommendation on that. Im fairly certain you'll have trouble setting it up properly if the fingerboard isn't matched to the spacing.

Looking forward to the project.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, hullabelew said:

I got confused until I found this picture to see what you meant about the ashtray and the P90 bridge route.  

http://gretschpages.com/media/img/fretboard/2015/6/111212-Tele P90-0808.jpg.540x540_q85_autocrop.jpg

Yeah, that photo was what I had in mind... until I started hearing about ferrules lining up with bridges, which need to line up with pickup magnets, string spacing...  I also saw the advice several times that many bridges that have the word "vintage" in the title are NOT actually vintage spaced.  And then the website wouldn't let me select a tele bridge anyway.  I *think* I figured out the solution (drill for ferrules but not for mounting screws), but I'm waiting for Fralin's advice before placing the order.  

AUTF - good advice on the neck.  Fortunately, that's what I like to play anyway, so it should be OK there.

And I also feel overwhelmed by the endless Warmoth choices.  I go to their website, I start out excited, then I start feeling uncertain, and finally just close the laptop without ever buying anything.  I've been "designing" and walking away from this project for a while now.

• Hook 'Em 1

32 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

If you do a wider spacing i think you'll want the compound radius fingerboard that Warmoth offers. I'd get their recommendation on that. Im fairly certain you'll have trouble setting it up properly if the fingerboard isn't matched to the spacing.

Looking forward to the project.

I think it's less related to the compound radius than it is to the nut width/spacing?  Definitely worth giving a call to Warmoth.  They're great folks to deal with. 

That said, I had a thinline tele project that I had a single coil at the bridge and Gibson style humbucker at the neck.  I used a standard Tele bridge/spacing and used a Fender neck spacing with a Warmoth compound radius neck.  I have noticed no difference in how well the neck HB sounds compared to my other Gibsons that are factory spaced (LP/SG) and I'm certaInly no "Eric Johnson can hear if the battery is dying or not" kind of guys.  But it still sounds pretty danged good to me. 

• Hook 'Em 1

7 minutes ago, Paul Wesley said:

Yeah, that photo was what I had in mind... until I started hearing about ferrules lining up with bridges, which need to line up with pickup magnets, string spacing...  I also saw the advice several times that many bridges that have the word "vintage" in the title are NOT actually vintage spaced.  And then the website wouldn't let me select a tele bridge anyway.  I *think* I figured out the solution (drill for ferrules but not for mounting screws), but I'm waiting for Fralin's advice before placing the order.  

AUTF - good advice on the neck.  Fortunately, that's what I like to play anyway, so it should be OK there.

And I also feel overwhelmed by the endless Warmoth choices.  I go to their website, I start out excited, then I start feeling uncertain, and finally just close the laptop without ever buying anything.  I've been "designing" and walking away from this project for a while now.

I felt the same way with my first project.  Like I said, now I have three.  

BTW, after playing the Warmoth compound radius necks I'm totally spoiled.  

• Hook 'Em 1

Thats the problem with Warmoth. Paralysis from l the choices. I was in that state with a sparkly Tele inwas dreaming of, then one day I saw that shell pink comfort body and had an instant vision for it. I ordered everything but the pickups from Warmoth within 15 minutes.

A girl recently told me put of the blue that it was the prettiest guitar she'd ever seen and was floored when I told her I assembled it from parts myself.

20210317_181049.jpg
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 2

52 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

Thats the problem with Warmoth. Paralysis from l the choices. I was in that state with a sparkly Tele inwas dreaming of, then one day I saw that shell pink comfort body and had an instant vision for it. I ordered everything but the pickups from Warmoth within 15 minutes.

A girl recently told me put of the blue that it was the prettiest guitar she'd ever seen and was floored when I told her I assembled it from parts myself.

20210317_181049.jpg

If it is to impress a girl, it's allowable to say you made it from scratch.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

7 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

20210317_181049.jpg

You did a nice job on that. It shows very well. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

20210317_181049.jpg

New amp?

I have a naked strat body that I bought on eBay years ago. It was supposedly a Fender second. Needs edges rolled, sealing, and all that stuff, but has all the pickups and hardware stuff cut out of it. Never did anything with it. Just lost time and inspiration. Maybe someday...

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

What’s a good budget? I want a humbucker in bridge and neck

Go to the website and start building.  That'll get you some idea of price.  Generally speaking, I'd say somewhere between $1500-$2000 will get you pretty much everything you ever wanted.  That said, for my projects I would get some bits from Warmoth (say, body/neck/pickguard) and other bits (say, pickups and wiring harnesses) somewhere else.  That takes longer.  I have one project I bought soup to nuts from Warmoth and it was in the $2k range.  But it's also one of my favorite guitars that I had been dreaming up since like 8th grade or something.  

What’s a good budget? I want a humbucker in bridge and neck

I put TV Jones Classics - Filtertrons in everything and they are a very common choice for Telecasters. They have the warmth of a Gibson humbucker, but manage to retain the bright twang of a Fender single coil.

Go to the website and start building.  That'll get you some idea of price.  Generally speaking, I'd say somewhere between $1500-$2000 will get you pretty much everything you ever wanted.  That said, for my projects I would get some bits from Warmoth (say, body/neck/pickguard) and other bits (say, pickups and wiring harnesses) somewhere else.  That takes longer.  I have one project I bought soup to nuts from Warmoth and it was in the $2k range.  But it's also one of my favorite guitars that I had been dreaming up since like 8th grade or something.  
I built that pink one for about $900, every part came from Warmoth but the pickups. I did put low budget pickups in it though, so say a grand. Im gonna swap the pickups with the 51 Nocaster set in the scratch built one I keep in Texas.

Of course it'll be more if you do a fancy body finish or a thin line. A figured wood neck will drive it up a bit too.
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Get those bar patrons soldering. 
They're too busy doing coke in the bathroom.

Edit - actually now that I think about it, most of the coke heads haven't been at the bar recently 'cause the bar requires proof of vaccination. For whatever reason, the guys who are snorting whatever is in that bag without question are the same guys who are afraid to get a shot because they have no idea what's in it. Just an observation.
  • Like 2
  • Rage+1 1

I usually shop the Warmoth "Screamin' Deals".  I don't think I've paid more than $1K in parts for a great guitar, and then I'd pay Alex from Musical Exchange $200-$250 to do final assembly and setup.  Sometimes I'd buy loaded pickguards from 920DCustom or others, because that would take most of the soldering out of the cost w/o actually costing more.

Build.  Your.  Dream.  Guitar.  

You'll learn more about part selection, etc. at a lower cost than buying off the rack.  Plus, it's yours.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1