The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

12 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

Is 5k enough to consider an actual 1960’s Hummingbird?   That’s about what they run, says Reverb.  

Never thought of that lol. The one thing I like about new old stock is you are not inheriting other peoples problems. I wish I had a vintage store that I could play the difference 

1 hour ago, Bogeywon said:

you are not inheriting other peoples problems.

Yeah, I get that.  I still think there's a price point for everything where you're better off buying vintage.  5K for a new microphone will get you something nice, but it will be worth 4K the day you unbox it and 3K a year or two later.  As opposed to spending that on a vintage mic that is almost certain to go up... many of them appreciate substantially.  

But you're right that you're on-the-hook for repairs, which are far more likely than with something new.

I would also be really interested to hear that guitar side-by-side with a couple 55-year old versions.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

Anyone here ever played an acoustic with walnut back and sides? I've don't know anything about walnut as a tonewood, but looking at the Gibson SJ-200 studio guitar in walnut, I can get it for $1,500 cheaper than the typical maple back and sides of the standard SJ-200. 

I can't find one in person to play around here, but I'm gonna keep looking. 

Edited by JSB

Anyone here ever played an acoustic with walnut back and sides? I've don't know anything about walnut as a tonewood, but looking at the Gibson SJ-200 studio guitar in walnut, I can get it for $1,500 cheaper than the typical maple back and sides of the standard SJ-200. 
I can't find one in person to play around here, but I'm gonna keep looking. 
I had a conversation with the local Gibson rep about this a couple years ago. He says Walnut is the tonewood of the future because rosewood and certain mahogany is getting so scarce.

I heard that as buy rosewood and mahogany while you still can.
  • Hook 'Em 3

2 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I had a conversation with the local Gibson rep about this a couple years ago. He says Walnut is the tonewood of the future because rosewood and certain mahogany is getting so scarce.

I heard that as buy rosewood and mahogany while you still can.

Absolutely this.  Brazilian rosewood is essentially gone.  Indian will follow.  I've been reading articles about ebony being extremely difficult to come by these days.  

I have a Lakeland bass that I've been pondering selling but for the fact that it has a really nice rosewood fretboard.  Maybe it'll appreciate enough to make it worth holding onto this long.  Or maybe I just can't be bothered to get off my ass and list it.

Edited by Chad Fuck

1 hour ago, Chad Fuck said:

Absolutely this.  Brazilian rosewood is essentially gone.  Indian will follow.  I've been reading articles about ebony being extremely difficult to come by these days.  

I have a Lakeland bass that I've been pondering selling but for the fact that it has a really nice rosewood fretboard.  Maybe it'll appreciate enough to make it worth holding onto this long.  Or maybe I just can't be bothered to get off my ass and list it.

Pics aren’t showing up for me. 

NSIAP

I know we're all old as fuck in here (I mean we just had about 3 pages of Rickenbacker posts), but here's a young Dallas guitarist doing guitarist from Dallas type things (changing the game the way Dallas guitarists seem to often do).

What's in the water up there?

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 1

And this reaction. LOL

And you get to stare at yet another unnaturally gorgeous PRS...

Which reminds me, I'm right outside Pasadena ATM, which means Wild West Guitars and their bonkers collection of PRSs, Strats, LPs, and Gretches. Gonna have to stop in and look at guitars I have no business looking at.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Like 2

51 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

And this reaction. LOL

And you get to stare at yet another unnaturally gorgeous PRS...

Which reminds me, I'm right outside Pasadena ATM, which means Wild West Guitars and their bonkers collection of PRSs, Strats, LPs, and Gretches. Gonna have to stop in and look at guitars I have no business looking at.

Speaking of PRS here’s my faded whale blue Vine. I believe it’s the same color as he’s playing C11E171A-2690-46EF-93D7-9DC8AAE967A6.thumb.png.d01bd09fa05f5d2833e83ba619b076f6.png7AD16192-E3CB-488C-94CC-43572092B93F.thumb.png.f1de537847eed2825c7fdd62ccc738e4.png6D0AEC00-099D-4C2F-9EE0-7CF7343526BD.thumb.png.1682f126d77649ee7f89ec58993e6825.png

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

I

57 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I posted it a long while ago. It was my go to bass for a while until I upgraded to a Japanese 62 RI that I sold.

I’ll dig it out and post again.

I finally got enough motivation to list some stuff. Sold 4 basses and 2 amps over the past month. Actually feels nice to be free of some excess gear. I know....... I'll show myself out now. 

Edited by topochico
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

NSIAP

I know we're all old as fuck in here (I mean we just had about 3 pages of Rickenbacker posts), but here's a young Dallas guitarist doing guitarist from Dallas type things (changing the game the way Dallas guitarists seem to often do).

I wish I had never heard that.

Talented though.

26 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

When absolutely everything about the guitar needs to flex.

That’s what PRS does. No one has better over the top tops then them IMO. They are hands down my favorite guitars. The only reason I don’t own more then 2 is because the ones I want are in the 4K-5k range. 

• Like 1

Ok the Polyphia shit. Took me a couple listens to wrap my head around it.

Wow. Outstanding.
It's like someone looked at the calendar and realized it was once again time for someone from the Metroplex to change the way guitarists think about guitars and dropped this Henson dude on us. Like, here you go, have fun with the tab.

Homes with a plugin ad playing a Jem without the silly handle, I guess, and I'm looking for my credit card to buy more software I already know I'll never learn...

I mean, how beautiful must his brain be? What must it be like to think in that dimension?

22 hours ago, BoomMF said:

NSIAP

This shit is just the F what I need, yet another example of why me having 20-something guitars is epicly light years beyond full regard.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Deej said:

So...Sweetwater was bought out by a private equity firm. 

Fuck! GC fucking sucks now Sweetwater! My local mom and pop fucked up so bad on my last order. Took my money and never ordered the guitar I mean wtf. I always got a fair deal from Sweetwater and the gear was always mint and shipped right 

Yep.  I read this in a news release and my heart sank.   I couldn't tell if this applies to just the music store or also all of his other businesses.  

“Sweetwater has a strong track record of sustaining long-term, scalable growth by identifying and capitalizing on new market opportunities,” says a news release from Providence Equity.

36 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

We may all eventually have to rely on BogeyGored.com inventory...

There's a NorthTexas guitar trader group on fb.  That's where I bought my Mesa.  I think we're headed back to the local trading if everything is taken over by these nameless/faceless beancounters.  

1 hour ago, Buzzrock said:

Imma just ignore that Sweetwater news.

Regarding that Polyphia track: I dig that kind of playing but I need a little more groove. I like stuff like this:

Then of course there is the master:

I agree.  Technical wizardry is just that.  I mean it is jaw dropping what some people can do.  But if I want to alter my mood or revel in a feeling - joy, melancholy, what have you - I'm not putting these guys on.  It doesn't move me particularly, but that's just me.  Music is like ice cream - I may enjoy mint chocolate and you enjoy strawberry but they're all good but in different ways.  

I am a fan of the current trend I see of metal backing bands with hot singers.  Thanks Evanescence for that particular business model. 

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I'm going to post this here because of that white LP. ...probably my dream guitar..and he KILLS that Skunk Baxter guitar.....   I LOVE the way he plays along with the horns at 1:24.   What an amazing cover.    And Cousin @Steel Shank  Her name is Ksenia Buzina.  

My buddy who trades a lot has one of those aged Alpine White LP Customs.  

image.png.5d52a7b513816469f4d52a120c2713b9.png

• Hook 'Em 1

15 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

I'm going to post this here because of that white LP. ...probably my dream guitar..and he KILLS that Skunk Baxter guitar.....   I LOVE the way he plays along with the horns at 1:24.   What an amazing cover.    And Cousin @Steel Shank  Her name is Ksenia Buzina.  

Oddly enough, she's in my wheelhouse!!! Imagine that!?!?

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1