The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

This is a hell of a set up. You should definitely pull the trigger on that.

I would certainly be the God of Thunder with that setup.

No way I can justify the amp. But the Thunderbird has me very tempted. I would like to try one out in person and see what the ergonomics are in real life, but nobody has them in stock.

45 minutes ago, Foggy Notion said:

70’s Norlin era Gibson’s just aren’t as collectible and valuable as earlier vintage. Gibson made some changes to the J45 around 1969 that included square shoulders vs slope and some feel these are also overbraced compared to earlier J45s.

More info in link below.

https://umgf.com/gibson-j-45-s-from-the-1970-s-t2068.html

Oh man, I missed entirely that that is a J45. Looks like an unadorned Hummingbird. It might be a great guitar but the slope shoulders are a defining characteristic of the J45 and that's not really a J45.

• Hook 'Em 1

Why would this 1970 Gibson J45 for $1850 be hanging around on Reverb for 5 months?  New ones list for  $2749 on Sweetwater.  Cheapest on EBay is a 2014 for $2395.  Next cheapest on Reverb is a 1969 for $2995.
https://reverb.com/item/39437831-gibson-j-45-1970-cherry-sunburst?utm_source=rev-ios-app&utm_medium=ios-share&utm_campaign=listing&utm_content=39437831

D2CED457-8271-45CE-A5A9-38558E03D627.thumb.jpeg.915a59f080c16cf142db1f2948fe97ee.jpeg
I had posts here a few years ago about a 68 J45 i bought locally for $1,500. I ended up trading it in on my Hummingbird. The dealer was pretty fair on the trade in. He told me that he'd get somewhere between $1700 and $2k for it and offered $1,300 plus came down on the Hummingbird to make it work.

Those are the years with the valute at the headstock.
  • Hook 'Em 2

1 minute ago, Superhero said:

Been eyeing one of these. Absolutely don't need it, and can't justify it with the wife. But damn it's pretty.

Godin 5th Avenue Kingpin II CW HB. There's also a P90 version.

image.png.30aaf1e6f0655821e6f854fe39225838.png

image.png.232f179def1373ae8ef4cf658acb5bf5.png

I've had nothing but good experiences with Godins, especially for the price.

• Hook 'Em 1

To add to the I made a boo boo on my otherwise perfect Gibson stories.  In 1995, I saved up and bought a 1970 ES 335 from Guitar Resurrection.  It was the Walnut, looks like a coffee table, color.  They speculated it was left under some kid's bed when he went off to war and brought in years later by mom.  Just perfect.  Well, in 2001, I moved into our new house (current house) and had a music room in one of the upstairs bedrooms pre kids.  The upstairs bedrooms have 8 foot ceilings.  So I'm playing the 335 one night and I get finished and lift it over my head to get the strap off  and put the head stock into the ceiling fan, which was running on a medium setting.  I could have cried (at the time).  But it was so minor.  Just a chip on the back of the top corner headstock.  So minor, I've never gotten it patched.  Now, I look at it and just smile.  The guitar still looks, otherwise, perfect.  And that one imperfection was a bedroom wound.

335.jpg
I thought of this guitar when I saw this guy playing a similar one with the trapeze tailpiece the other day in a little hippi town down the coast near Neil Young's ranch. ES-345. Close enough.

20210829_165151.jpg
  • Like 1
  • Drool 1

9 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I had posts here a few years ago about a 68 J45 i bought locally for $1,500. I ended up trading it in on my Hummingbird. The dealer was pretty fair on the trade in. He told me that he'd get somewhere between $1700 and $2k for it and offered $1,300 plus came down on the Hummingbird to make it work.

Those are the years with the valute at the headstock.

That guitar is beautiful, but I can't stop staring at the Sunn rig behind it.  I had a 1970ish Sunn 412 with the flat magnet eminence speakers in it.  That, along with a 1973 Bassman 100 was my first real guitar amp rig, both components of which I kept from the early 90s until about 5 years ago.  I have a lot of good memories of that rig.

My 1970 335 has a small volute at the headstock.  I never knew about it until I read somewhere that I wasn't supposed to like it.  It just has never been something I noticed. 

But some of the collectors avoid these like the plague for that and narrow neck concerns.  Again, never bothered me much and I have some fat neck guitars I love too.  Just don't need to play one before the other when the latter performance requires you to be perfect out of the gate.  There is an adjustment.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, AnotherUTFan said:

I thought of this guitar when I saw this guy playing a similar one with the trapeze tailpiece the other day in a little hippi town down the coast near Neil Young's ranch. ES-345. Close enough.

20210829_165151.jpg

Nice.  How did it play?  Mine can best be described as really "even" playing and having the benefit of getting along with whatever amp I plug it into perfectly.

Edited by dcbc

I've posted this before.  But here is a closeup on my #1.  Shows the wear nicely.  It's a N_9 very early 1990 American Standard Telecaster in "vintage white."  It smells of pipe tobacco as does the case from wherever it lived before I got it in 1997 or so.  If that smell goes away, I'll start smoking a pipe and blowing smoke into the case.  Just part of the mojo at this point.  The only mod is removing the double gang tbx tone pot and putting a regular one in there.

For you Fender types out there, go read up on the 1988--very early 1990 (such as those with the botched serial number) American Standards.  Handpicked woods.  Fantastic pickups.  Small production #s before Fender moved to the new factory in mid/late 1990.  This one is a beauty and stands atop my 52 AV reissue and 64 AV reissue.

1.jpg

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 3
  • Drool 1

Travis Bean on the right is a rare bird in the wild.
Thank you for identifying that, I was trying to figure out what it was.

Great player and singer, but the guy was way too loud and his tone sucked; that muffled/compressed sound that comes from too many effects in the chain.

At least to my ears. They brought a pretty solid crowd, so what do I know?

I'm getting the itch again, probably won't do anything before the holidays so I can at least get my family to target their gifts to me (using my money) at something I actually want, but I'm mulling over a Tele Deluxe partscaster.  I'm thinking this hardtail blue burst would be cool with a classic mother-of-toilet-seat pickguard and some chrome humbuckers.  What neck would y'all do?  Maple or rosewood?  I'm leaning maple.  It's a mahogany body with a maple top, by the way.  (I'm trying to get close to a Les Paul, although obviously the maple bolt-on neck would deviate.  So does my playing skill.)

image.png.55fa5e03dca46f57a3c2a786afe6c058.png

Edited by jimmyjazz
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I'm getting the itch again, probably won't do anything before the holidays so I can at least get my family to target their gifts to me (using my money) at something I actually want, but I'm mulling over a Tele Deluxe partscaster.  I'm thinking this hardtail blue burst would be cool with a classic mother-of-toilet-seat pickguard and some chrome humbuckers.  What neck would y'all do?  Maple or rosewood?  I'm leaning maple.  It's a mahogany body with a maple top, by the way.  (I'm trying to get close to a Les Paul, although obviously the maple bolt-on neck would deviate.  So does my playing skill.)
image.png.55fa5e03dca46f57a3c2a786afe6c058.png

Maple w TV Jones Classics!

8 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Roasted Maple. 

Sitting here on a Saturday night / Sunday morning thinking about the TS-10 that I sold for $250 a few years ago. It was the one pedal I should have kept when I purged my pedal board and replaced it with a Boss multi-effects pedal. I traded tone for convenience. but now I want a TS in front of the pedal board. Has anyone tried the JHS Bonzai? I really just want a TS-10 (but they're selling for $500+ on Reverb, and the JHS Bonsai is "only" $239.

JHS Pedals: from mods in the attic to a leader in boutique guitar pedals

7 hours ago, Superhero said:

Sitting here on a Saturday night / Sunday morning thinking about the TS-10 that I sold for $250 a few years ago. It was the one pedal I should have kept when I purged my pedal board and replaced it with a Boss multi-effects pedal. I traded tone for convenience. but now I want a TS in front of the pedal board. Has anyone tried the JHS Bonzai? I really just want a TS-10 (but they're selling for $500+ on Reverb, and the JHS Bonsai is "only" $239.

JHS Pedals: from mods in the attic to a leader in boutique guitar pedals

No need. I have a Shaggy Screamer and it fucks. 

• Like 3

On 9/3/2021 at 12:12 PM, AnotherUTFan said:

My D18 doesnt either, nor did the 000-18 when I was shopping. Ill admit, I thought the valute was sexy when I was deciding between a 000-18 and a 000-28. Its not the reason I chose the -28, but it definitely didn't hurt.

I bet your higher end Martin's have one?

Yeah - DM, no, OOO-15M no, D-28 yep, D-41 yep.

The funniest "ooh this is the nice Martin" thing is the D-41's beveled pickguard edges.