The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

No decided I’ll never use it. Gonna grab a old schecter 6 string set it up for B tuning and if I love that make the purchase. Also my drummer is in rehab right now and we haven’t jammed in a while 

My drummer had brain surgery last year for a tumor. Jammed with him last night actually for the first time in forever. Was a great night. So much fun playing with a really good drummer.
  • Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

My drummer had brain surgery last year for a tumor. Jammed with him last night actually for the first time in forever. Was a great night. So much fun playing with a really good drummer.

Dang glad to hear he’s doing good. And yes my buddy is a awesome drummer. Soooo easy to play with too. BUT my boundary with Hims gonna be

stay sober = jam 

drink = no jamming with me

if he falls off the wagon I told him I’d help him again but he’s gotta know I have limits. Drumming besides his wife and child are is everything to him

• Hook 'Em 2

43 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I don’t know what your jamming dynamic is but if jamming with you is a safe activity with some built in accountability that will be awesome for him right out of rehab.

Playing drums and writing music with me is one of his favorite things to do. I can’t threaten to not be there because that’s not the type I am but he has to stand to lose something. Is that bad? Honest question

• Hook 'Em 1

44 minutes ago, Bogeywon said:

Playing drums and writing music with me is one of his favorite things to do. I can’t threaten to not be there because that’s not the type I am but he has to stand to lose something. Is that bad? Honest question

Nah that’s what he needs - you’re down to jam and have fun times with him but you’re not going to participate in him killing himself and you won’t be around for it. Rehabs vary in their approach but whatever he is he should be getting a big dose of “you are accountable for what’s on your side of the fence “. He’s getting back from rehab - a simple message of “bro I can’t wait to jam with you and I’m so excited you’re making the changes you need to make and it goes without saying that I don’t want you to see you slip and we’re going jam sober.” is good and appropriate and he should neither be surprised or hurt

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

On 9/27/2021 at 9:13 PM, Celery Man said:

Definitely a me thing. When I’m not flailing aggressively and possibly knocking the selector toggle I have my palm right up on the bridge and my pinkie anchored right where the volume knob is. On a strat I have to play a little farther up.

This is from when I bought one of those cheap Tribute ASAT’s from mf stupid deal of the day. You can see the flail and the anchor. I actually want to replace the bridge assembly on my real telecaster with one like this (not flat). Love anchoring my pinky against it

I've watched your acoustic noodle and this one.  Your left hand thumb is really interesting.  In the acoustic vid it actually holds a finger down.  Incredible!  I have 5 guitars and know 4 chords...so take that for what it's worth.

I can't or won't get out of my own head with my own guitar playing.

3 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Nah that’s what he needs - you’re down to jam and have fun times with him but you’re not going to participate in him killing himself and you won’t be around for it. Rehabs vary in their approach but whatever he is he should be getting a big dose of “you are accountable for what’s on your side of the fence “. He’s getting back from rehab - a simple message of “bro I can’t wait to jam with you and I’m so excited you’re making the changes you need to make and it goes without saying that I don’t want you to see you slip and we’re going jam sober.” is good and appropriate and he should neither be surprised or hurt

Not to further the sidebar, but what the hell:  we recently pulled an old friend of ours back into the drum spot of our dad band.  He had gotten sober prior to us all parting ways maybe 20 years ago.  2 of the 3 of us other guys drink at rehearsal, and I was worried it would be an issue for him.  Man, he's steady as a rock, not as a drummer (well, he's pretty good these days) but he is clean as a whistle.  He even pulled out a 0-alcohol "beer" the other day, which scared the shit out of me, and then did that "nah" routine before pouring it down the toilet.  I for damn sure don't want to be part of any temptation he might have to go back after decades, but he seems really on top of things.  It's good to see.  I'd certainly be happy to not drink at all during rehearsal if it mattered to him.  (Gigs?  Eh, not sure about that.)

I haven’t run the serial number on it but the guy I got it from said he bought it new about 6 years ago. It’s got some forearm shine on it, so it’s been played some but the frets are in great shape with almost no wear on them. The strings that were on it were disgusting. Wouldn’t surprise me if they were the original strings. 

10 hours ago, tigol said:

I've watched your acoustic noodle and this one.  Your left hand thumb is really interesting.  In the acoustic vid it actually holds a finger down.  Incredible!  I have 5 guitars and know 4 chords...so take that for what it's worth.

I can't or won't get out of my own head with my own guitar playing.

Oh that's interesting - I've never noticed that with my thumb grabbing my finger. Honestly it's probably somewhat bad form having the thumb hang over like that (although jimi certainly would throw his thumb over the top) and it was never a conscious decision. I did notice it at some point and realize that I'm using it to mute/unmute the low E when playing chords. And I did make the conscious decision to start playing F shape chords by using my thumb to fret the low E. It's going well although it's difficult to not squeeze the chord out of tune on electrics. Would have helped me in that C to F transition I was trying to hit better in the electric noodling video.

A thumb thing I'd be interested in is what the impact of hitchhikers thumb is. When I do have my thumb on the back of the neck, it makes a right angle against the back of the neck.

Apropos of whatever (and because this is one of the songs my daughter likes so I'm listening to it again constantly) this is the basis of the noodling in the ASAT video - 

great Austin band from about 5-10 years back. I grew up playing with that guy, he's a lawyer I think working for the state in some capacity now. Their album "Plague" is great.

9 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Not to further the sidebar, but what the hell:  we recently pulled an old friend of ours back into the drum spot of our dad band.  He had gotten sober prior to us all parting ways maybe 20 years ago.  2 of the 3 of us other guys drink at rehearsal, and I was worried it would be an issue for him.  Man, he's steady as a rock, not as a drummer (well, he's pretty good these days) but he is clean as a whistle.  He even pulled out a 0-alcohol "beer" the other day, which scared the shit out of me, and then did that "nah" routine before pouring it down the toilet.  I for damn sure don't want to be part of any temptation he might have to go back after decades, but he seems really on top of things.  It's good to see.  I'd certainly be happy to not drink at all during rehearsal if it mattered to him.  (Gigs?  Eh, not sure about that.)

I'm not sure if I'm reading it right but, while people certainly can and do fall off the wagon after a long time, I'd hope after 20+ years of sobriety he's got a decent handle on things. For me, I think I'd be bored/irritated jamming with guys where it's more about drinking and less about jamming, but I wouldn't have an issue with someone drinking a couple lone stars. I'd love to gig again, I don't think that would be an issue at all. But everyone's different. I had started playing a little bit acoustically with a couple of guys right before the pandemic kicked off, which is a bummer since we also subsequently moved. I joined a raleigh/durham/chapel hill musicians group on facebook to kinda see what I could see and I think it'll be challenging interesting to find folks I vibe with if it doesn't just happen organically. The last time I did this involved talking to people in the high school band hall.

Foggy smelling his new guitar

maxresdefault.jpg

10 hours ago, Foggy Notion said:

Here’s something to hold y’all over til noharley’s FedEx man shows up. I picked up this D-15M a couple days ago for a ridiculous price. It needed a good cleaning which I’m not totally done with just yet. Interested to see how it sounds once these strings break in, but I’m digging the mahogany so far.

C45B9E37-C8A9-485E-A17D-6DED90C6B8E7.jpeg

D731C8C8-26A5-480E-B771-CEF7DB465473.jpeg

If it's on Craigslist, it's only there because Foggy didn't already buy it. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Deej said:

If it's on Craigslist, it's only there because Foggy didn't already buy it. 

Even if you see it listed, don’t get your hopes up. It might be mine already.

For example, this guitar appears to be for sale. But it’s not. It’s mine.

https://collegestation.craigslist.org/msg/d/dime-box-electric-guitar/7380438538.html

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Paul Wesley said:

A friend has one of those mahogany Martins.  They're nice guitars.

Celery, I love the sound of the Matchless.  Remind me what model you have?

DC-30. Looks like I'm on channel 1 there, which is the 12AX7 channel. You're also hearing a lot of Strymon Flint+Capistan. They sell DC30s with reverb but mie does not have reverb.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Bogeywon said:

Ok! Need someone to find me a midnight rose PRS silver sky. The one one reverb sold. It was Buy It Now at 1700. I’ll pay that all day. HELP!

Guitar resurrection in Austin has a lot of PRS and Silver Skies.  Is this what you are looking for?

http://www.guitarrez.com/prsinventory/prssilskymagrose.html

Edited by Goredho

Need recs on a decent value acoustic guitar with onboard electronics for my daughter.  (No pics, assholes.  You'll have to come see her play.)

She writes her own stuff and is pretty damn close to phenomenal -- played her first jazz-pop "gig" at a friend's art show on Saturday and absolutely blew away the audience, which included a few well-known local musicians who were effusive in their praise.  She's already stolen my Yamaha S80 keyboard, which is her main instrument, but as it turns out she's written a few tunes on acoustic guitar and stole my Yammie acoustic-electric as well.  I'm tired of her stealing my shit.

Emphasis is on the sound through a PA.  I could do $600-$750 or so.  Wondering if there are some "value" brands like the old Seagull line, etc.?

38 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Need recs on a decent value acoustic guitar with onboard electronics for my daughter.  (No pics, assholes.  You'll have to come see her play.)

She writes her own stuff and is pretty damn close to phenomenal -- played her first jazz-pop "gig" at a friend's art show on Saturday and absolutely blew away the audience, which included a few well-known local musicians who were effusive in their praise.  She's already stolen my Yamaha S80 keyboard, which is her main instrument, but as it turns out she's written a few tunes on acoustic guitar and stole my Yammie acoustic-electric as well.  I'm tired of her stealing my shit.

Emphasis is on the sound through a PA.  I could do $600-$750 or so.  Wondering if there are some "value" brands like the old Seagull line, etc.?

Fender's acoustic are the most popular starter/student guitars on the market currently and you get Fishman elecs in the ~$300+ models.

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

In that range I’d probably go seagull or Maybe Taylor Academy or 100 series.

That’s said, if emphasis is really on sounding good through a PA, I have found after probably 75 live acoustic shows in the last 16 months that making an acoustic guitar sound actually good amplified is much more involved than making an electric guitar sound good amplified. I’d be happy to share what I’ve learned if you are interested.

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I would look at a used Eastman in that price range, something like this:  https://reverb.com/item/42799161-must-see-eastman-solid-wood-acoustic-electric

xgy59pwnndkijkacwfpt.jpg

Edit:  Eastman's have a reputation for punching above their price range. I've owned two, and I would say they both lived up to their hype -- they were at least as good as American-made standard grade equivalents.

Edited by Goredho
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1