The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

Shit, sorry I missed this thread for a week or so. Count me in on whatever the group consensus is. I don't know what all the parts I want are, but I know I couldn't find a better group of guys to argue and come up with something for me than this crew. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

On 10/11/2021 at 12:00 AM, tbone_ said:

What pickups?

Not fancy pickups

5DF783FF-FA75-41B4-82AA-6EF51BD06FA8.thumb.jpeg.a669d64643047af33bb665d81dadef37.jpeg

ASCENDAS HP5 Double-conductor Wire Electric Guitar Humbucker Pickup for Gibson Les Paul Replacement. 

I have some black screws coming along with the pots and switches. Thinking of going to a black bridge and saddles. 

• Hook 'Em 3

Laying back messing with some Neil Young.  The guitar is an Epiphone FT134, I think – made between 1970 and 1975. It’s what they call a Japan “blue label”, although the label is mostly gone. It’s a fantasticly playable guitar. I suck at harmonica.  

spacer.png

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 3

20 minutes ago, Deej said:

You're supposed to blow on a harmonica. I think I found your problem. 

You only found one, 999 to go!   Seriously I’m now having trouble id’ing this guitar.  It has an odd pick guard.

spacer.png

Edit again, I think it’s actually an Ft-134, around 1973 to 1975.   

Edited by Judge Roybeanbag
  • Hook 'Em 1

30 minutes ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:

You only found one, 999 to go!   Seriously I’m now having trouble id’ing this guitar.  It has an odd pick guard.

spacer.png

Edit again, I think it’s actually an Ft-134, around 1973 to 1975.   

Have we talked about the Mid 50s Super?

8 hours ago, AnotherUTFan said:
10 hours ago, Judge Roybeanbag said:
Long ago.  It’s a 1959, I have the original receipt from my great uncle buying it, slightly used. 

I can personally attest to the awesomeness of this Super. The real deal.

The ES has a loose fret, I need to find a luthier I can trust to fix it, and set it up after.  You got any suggestions here in Austin?  I’d try to reglue it myself but am scared of fucking it up.  Basically it’s loose on the top side of the neck, popping up a bit.  

12 hours ago, Buzzrock said:

There’s worse to spend a nice evening than listening to John Mayer jam clean licks for a few hours. The crowd doesn’t seem to mind the Silver Sky. Phil is playing a good looking Strat.

My silver sky is in… I passed on it. Gonna by a new head instead increase the tones

• Like 1

I just got these Grover tuners delivered. They are too big. I can either drill the holes wider or get new ones again. Thoughts?

2cfa58b689b175f817b8a2055a7a825f.jpg
I would get new ones. I tried drilling out once and ended up getting a crack in the overlay. The ferrul covered it, but it was still a scare.

There are 3 or 4 different sizes manufactures drill for and they are all so close its hard to figure out what you have. I usually read reviews until I find someone who has successfully installed a set into something very similar to what I have, then buy those - or see what size they are and find something in that size.
  • Hook 'Em 1

10 hours ago, Fastbreak said:

I just got these Grover tuners delivered. They are too big. I can either drill the holes wider or get new ones again. Thoughts?

2cfa58b689b175f817b8a2055a7a825f.jpg

May be similar to my 90s Epi Les Paul Jr. I bought some Wilkinson Vintage style tuners like that, but they had smaller posts. I ended up staying with the original bushings that were on the guitar to avoid drilling or awling, as I seem to remember. The pegs fit the holes that way. Your results may vary. Specs may vary from model and year.

These are the ones I bought.  

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01JLT7ZN0/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Edited by DougO

9 hours ago, Gil Bang said:

If you have someone to pour over a bunch of them, hand pick the ones made at 10 a.m. on a Wednesday, expertly set them up, and, since I'm already speculating, replace the pickups and other electronics for something reliable and better sounding for the road, then there's no reason it won't sound great.  One of my most oft grabbed guitars is a partscaster strat with a classic vibe Squire strat body and a 41 year old USA made guitar shop replacement neck.  It has American Standard pickups and ebay parts for the internals and sounds and plays absolutely beautiful/beautifully. 

SRV played a partscaster too.

Edited by dcbc
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

My local used shop had a Reeves Gabrels model that I LOVED, but they wouldn't come off the price at all.  I really liked the neck of that guitar and it sounded fantastic.  It was an older version of this one before they did the rails on the wound strings but they were just asking too much for a used guitar.  

1452017675reeves2_ORG_edit_2014.png

• Hook 'Em 1