The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

I've posted this before.  This little group did a 7 or 8 day tour, announced as David, Gillian and 3 special guests.  When they came out on stage, no introduction, but you could kind of hear a sweep across the audience as some people started realizing who was on mandolin.  When they came back from their intermission at the halfway point, the place when nuts when JPJ walked out.  Then it got deathly quiet in the room and one drunk dude says, in a really loud voice, "That's John Paul Fuckin' Johns, man".  It was like he was talking to his buddy, but everyone in the room heard it.    

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

4fb8a4a77f908d0f8760216ea479b184.jpg
For the amp fiends.

2393ccd211d86a1bdbd5ad7656524869.jpg
I thought this was a nice compact test board.

b6a8fd0bc5ec22acee50986d9d60d2c4.jpg
Real rare bird. Burst must’ve been mod and buckers must’ve replaced P-90s. The interesting part to me
was the unbound neck. I had read that the very first LPs weren’t bound necked. Never saw one before.

90848a6fb3e65815dde7bee98c8aeda6.jpg

90079605d79fabb255b468b0ea4d8cef.jpg
Cool Fender double neck.

• Hook 'Em 3

9 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Way better than the game thread

Went to the guitar show today with my brother. Drove from Dallas. Listened to mid-3rd Qtr -> late 4th Qtr on the drive. Went into the show rather than listen to the final 3 1/2 minutes in the car. 

The photos above are far superior to the few that I took, except for this t-shirt that was sized 5XL. 👀

E2C3F847-7515-491D-9535-5CC33A17101C.jpeg

• Hook 'Em 1

20 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

de957f831324cee06d8072695885b2ea.jpg

9ed4352c6f6ac117d4638928a63dd882.jpg
Some beauty’s

1594d7c0fd60d6996e9ccdf3a8c34045.jpg
Love me some Buck.

774a95a436b4f9ba178f0fabf6b720b3.jpg
Someone told me the first RI Black Beauties from the early 70s were built from surplus 50s parts thus the crazy high price. No idea if that’s true or not.

2d6a92c3546dcddf87a82cfc9846e243.jpg
Some very nice and very pricey LP reissues.

Thank you for all of that. And there is no fucking way I would have walked out of that building without buying something.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

i was pretty close

You were.  I've seen tons of pin-ups on guitars before.  Period decals as well.  But I don't think I've ever seen an image like this before.  I just have to wonder where did it come from and why did someone think, "Man, this is really gonna set me apart by sticking this naked white girl getting dragged off by some vaguely oriental buff black guy on my Martin. Especially when they have to get up real close  to look at it?"  So weird.  

And that's why I love these shows.

2 hours ago, Chad Fuck said:

You were.  I've seen tons of pin-ups on guitars before.  Period decals as well.  But I don't think I've ever seen an image like this before.  I just have to wonder where did it come from and why did someone think, "Man, this is really gonna set me apart by sticking this naked white girl getting dragged off by some vaguely oriental buff black guy on my Martin. Especially when they have to get up real close  to look at it?"  So weird.  

And that's why I love these shows.

I would never place a sticker on anything, but I understand why some do. 

In fact, for some it turns iconic, like Alvin Lee’s peace sign on his 335, or SRV’s initials 

I would never place a sticker on anything, but I understand why some do. 
In fact, for some it turns iconic, like Alvin Lee’s peace sign on his 335, or SRV’s initials 

Oh yeah. I have no arguments against stickers.

I just have questions - so many questions- about that particular sticker.

14 minutes ago, noharleyyet said:

...livin' the life AUTF...good for you man.

Thanks.

BTW, it was supposed to be a one-time thing with our friend ad-libbing lyrics. We put the name "Dirty Years" on the flyer and I think we spent more time coming up with that name than we did rehearsing. It went well enough that we got invited to play a halloween party next weekend, so i think Im in a band again.

Dirty Years, I like it.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, BoomMF said:

Great name!

In other news, on the flight from Austin to L.A. I noticed a dude get on with an old beat up Fender case. When he sat near me I asked him what was in it. He said, "Buddy Holly's Telecaster" and I mentioned how interesting that was since he's so identified with Strats. He mentioned how he went from an Ensquire to the Tele and I was floored. Never heard that before! The guy turned out to be Randall Bell, Leo Fender biographer (whose book with Phyllis Fender is available on Amazon). Very cool guy, (even showed him a pic of the music room to prove I was a kindred spirit) we talked quite a bit and when we arrived at LAX I made a joke about it being a win that we were flying with one of Buddy Holly's guitars and we landed safely. The plane landed better than the joke which surprised me cause that shit's funny.

In the terminal he opened the case to let me see the guitar. He opens it up and it turned out to be Buck Owens' Telecaster! A-ha! His mind mustve been somewhere else and Buddy Holly's name slipped out. All of sudden our conversations made much more sense and all my references seemed less like I was a crazy person who only talks about Buddy Holly to strangers.

He let me hold it which was surreal. I grew up on Buck Owens and classic country. Bakersfield sound > Nashville sound.

Super cool guy. He's opening a Leo Fender museum in Fullerton where this guitar will be featured.3078f1f90ec46569c42a030d23183722.jpg6fcf7cabadcb703ca806ad380677d8e7.jpg

BoomMF indeed.  What a score!

• Hook 'Em 1

Thats cool as hell, BMF.

Sometime when you're in LA you should drive out to Bakersfield and have lunch at the Chrystal Palace, or catch a show there. It was a venue owned by Buck and has a museum of his stuff inside. Aside from the guitars, costumes, and photos, the Nudie Buick Convertible that he bought from Elvis is on display above the bar.

• Like 1

Pat Green was my close friend David's little brother in Jr High, up until they enrolled in a local private school. Probably the wealthiest family in our town. I loved spending time at their place. My family was dirt poor, but they had a big ranch with horses, ATVs, go carts, you name it. From what I've been told, Pat grew up to be a giant douche to everyone we grew up with.

31 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

And Buck Owens' Tele?  WTF?  One time I was on a flight with Pat Green's band.  Oh, and Joey from Fastball.  That's all I got.  I never get to fly with Buck Owens' fucking Tele.

Buck Owens' Tele...that's better than the time I flew to Vegas, and when switching planes in Dallas, the last two open seats were next to me and the last two passengers boarding the flight were Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.

• Drool 1

42 minutes ago, Deej said:

Buck Owens' Tele...that's better than the time I flew to Vegas, and when switching planes in Dallas, the last two open seats were next to me and the last two passengers boarding the flight were Dallas Cowboys cheerleaders.

I saw Jimmie Vaughan wheeling a giant road box into the old Austin airport one day.  I asked if it was his speaker cabinet -- he said yes, he played extra deep 4x12 cabs because they had a lot more grunt.  Nice guy.  Didn't know me from Adam and had no reason to talk to me.  Did anyway.

4 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

I saw Jimmie Vaughan wheeling a giant road box into the old Austin airport one day.  I asked if it was his speaker cabinet -- he said yes, he played extra deep 4x12 cabs because they had a lot more grunt.  Nice guy.  Didn't know me from Adam and had no reason to talk to me.  Did anyway.

I've told the story before, but when I was in high school, the neighbor across the street was the keyboardist for Junior Medlow. They were opening for the Thunderbirds at the Austin Opera House, and he asked if I'd set up and breakdown his gear in return for getting backstage for the show. Jimmie came up to me in the green room and asked if I would carry his guitars out onstage and put them in their stands. He also said to feel free to help myself to the beer. Nice guy. 

Edited by Deej
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

So, five and a half years after the accident, the last two fingers of my right hand have become so arthritic that I can't really do anything with them. As far as playing goes, they kinda just fall away when strumming and tend to hit strings they shouldn't. I have no idea how to correct it. 

There has got to be a workaround. 

20211021_204219.thumb.jpg.794e8599096442357921a00394883ac4.jpg