The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

So apparently my "free" guitar is a classical guitar and they said they can't put steel strings where there is nylon strings on it now. They gave me a reason, but it went over my head, whatever. Needed new strings anyway plus they did say the action looked really high on it. So maybe getting that fixed with some new better strings will help my fingers out. Guess i'll find out after picking it up. 

On 11/5/2021 at 3:49 PM, BERT said:

So apparently my "free" guitar is a classical guitar and they said they can't put steel strings where there is nylon strings on it now. They gave me a reason, but it went over my head, whatever. Needed new strings anyway plus they did say the action looked really high on it. So maybe getting that fixed with some new better strings will help my fingers out. Guess i'll find out after picking it up. 

Steel strings put way more tension on the top of the guitar than nylon strings, and so the two types of guitar are braced differently. Steel strings on a classical would probably buckle the top. I haven’t googled but I bet there are pictures

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Well now that football season is back to Charlie Strong levels,  I am going to look for more guitars. 

If they made this lefty, it would be my Christmas present to myself:

J13566000001000-02-2000x2000.thumb.jpg.958b4374de4a6c7e083a375887457d88.jpg

2 things:

1. Flip it lefty if they don’t make one (good enough for jimi good enough for you)

2. Buy it anyway. That’s how we do things

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Butch Had Not said:

Well now that football season is back to Charlie Strong levels,  I am going to look for more guitars. 

If they made this lefty, it would be my Christmas present to myself:

Aside from the fact I only see it in blue on Charvel's website, I'll add my standard answer:  build it (or something close to it).  Warmoth lefty "Soloist" body is $309, ask if they'll angle the single coil pickup routs.  Neck would be $264, more if they'll paint the headstock.  Pickups, hardware, etc. is probably another $350 (varies), getting a guitar tech to build it for you is probably $250.  Damn fine guitar for less than half the price of a new one.  BUT, not branded and not identical.

image.png.f06e117e05bbae647db459060999c8ce.png

• Like 1

The blue Jake e lee signature charvel is the newer one but sites like GC and SW still have the one above listed. 

The lefty problem limits my purchases. I wouldn't be opposed to building my own to exact specs. Ideally HH, no floyd,  maple neck/fingerboard,  strat style,  white w/black pick guard,  locking tuners, passive pups, 22 fret. 

The white Jake had my attention more than other charvels due to the hardtail bridge. I don't like floyds.

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

You could also go to the fender configurator and dial up a lefty HSS strat in that color combo. Could be a similar guitar for less dough.

Oh yeah,  mod shop is beautiful for a lefty. HH, HSH, SSS, HSS. I've created quite a few on there that I've wanted order. Thinking of it next month maybe. I've probably have to use a color that's far more different than what's readily available for a lefty.  Like desert sand,  or autumn blaze metallic. 

I'm going to put this one here.  One of the great, unknown guitarist passed about on 10/27/21.  Rick Kurtz, from Birmingham.  He was a really nice guy and one of the best guitarists I've even been around.  
He toured mostly with Delbert, 
Watch him in action here with Stephen Bruton and Delbert.  That strat on the stand is probably my favorite guitar of all time.  I saw one yesterday that looked just like it at a used shop and if I can scramble the money up before it is gone, I'm going to own one.  
[/url]  
https://www.al.com/life/2021/10/rick-kurtz-guitarist-and-former-mainstay-on-birminghams-music-scene-has-died.html
This is probably my favorite of him with another Birmingham legend and friend, Lolly Lee.  In the late 80s and early 90s, Birmingham had a wealth of musical talent and these two were at the center of much of the action.  It is a damn shame none of them got more well known.  RIP to Rick Kurtz.  

77be869c4f3ccb781479a3a787ff960d.jpg

Edited by hullabelew
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

Why do you guys hate Bonnie Raitt?

Or Jimmy Page or The Reverend Billy G.  Some great slide stuff from those guys.  It's what got me interested.  To say nothing of Duane Allman and all those guys they borrowed from like Robert Johnson. 

It's a tough skill, slide.  

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

It's a really nice guitar, and even sounds great unplugged. I took it to Willie's luthier, Mark Erlewine, for some warranty work (had a pickup that would intermittently cut out). He was really impressed and said Epiphone really did a good job on these 62 reissues and that it was remarkably close to the originals. It also has a nice, thin finish on it. 

• Hook 'Em 1

10 minutes ago, Deej said:

They made 1,962 of them. Used, they go for about 400 bucks more than I paid new. Probably the only one I have that has appreciated. 

That would look so good in our Tuesday Night Jam Band.*

*we don't actually have a tuesday night jam band, but if we did that guitar would own it

Edited by TOR
  • Hook 'Em 1