The Guitar Pron Thread

Celery Man

1 hour ago, noharleyyet said:

D28

The Martin was so clean it looked like NOS. It's a single owner guitar that spent most of its life in a closet. The only work done is a replacing of the pegs which developed cracking and a rebracing which was done by Martin. It's the only one on the wall that I played (I only held the Les Paul) and it sounded like angels singing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, BoomMF said:

This wall has something for everyone, but if you could only pick one, putting aside raw value, which one would you get? ('56 Les Paul, '64 Firebird, '04 Masterbuilt Number One, '44 D-28)

Side note, as part of the provenance papers with the Firebird, it belonged to Nikki Sixx (bassist, I know, but it's the guitar most similar to the bass he's most identified with).

d7866c27122ca3e674675bb233e2c7d8.jpg

2, 3, 4, 1

jt method

I’m really both a collector and a player. As a player, the answer is D28. As a collector, it’s still D28 but the LP is a lot closer than the firebird which is wayyy closer than an 04 master built srv. There’s a world where the strat could move up if like… this is my only guitar and I take a pill where I don’t think the vintage element is super cool and at that point I’m ranking “have a strat” vs have a Les Paul. But it’s D28 every time. Also the rick can get in on the action.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 3

2, 3, 4, 1
jt method
I’m really both a collector and a player. As a player, the answer is D28. As a collector, it’s still D28 but the LP is a lot closer than the firebird which is wayyy closer than an 04 master built srv. There’s a world where the strat could move up if like… this is my only guitar and I take a pill where I don’t think the vintage element is super cool and at that point I’m ranking “have a strat” vs have a Les Paul. But it’s D28 every time. Also the rick can get in on the action.
Also wondered about the Riches-right-you-know.jpg

8 hours ago, Celery Man said:

2, 3, 4, 1

jt method

The in-house luthier said the Custom Shop Masterbuilt SRV with the Ybarra-made overwound modified Texas Specials was one of the nicest, most sonically impressive guitars he's ever played. The Les Paul had a "killer" tone but was a fight to play. The Martin was a fucking 1944 D-28 and every bit the part.

For making music he picked the SRV.

I still pick the Les Paul because I can't get past the fact it's a primordial Les Paul and I would kill to have something from the top of the family tree.

Edited by BoomMF
  • Hook 'Em 1

I really want need a new acoustic.   I'm wanting to try out those new Epi 'Inspired by Gibson' guitars.  I've watched every review and although I really want a Gibson, I just can't afford it right now.   Looking mostly at the J45, although I really dig those Hummingbirds.  

Also, I'm about to head back to Carter's and Gruhn's to see if I can find maybe a D18.  Only probably with that is the fucking sales tax adds 9.25% to the price.  

So, to the Which Guitar?    D28 all the way.  

18 hours ago, Goredho said:

Not buying anything for awhile, but I’ll probably start looking at a White Falcon when I get the itch (next week).

Edit to add: it won’t be a star caster.  That thing is fugly.  Looks like an alligator gar with pickups. 

Ha!  Yeah, I thought that too when I was a kid, but at the same time, it's just that kind of "out there" vibe about it I find it appealing.  I've always had a penchant for the odd and unusual and a Starcaster is most definitely that.  Never picked one up and I'm dying to know if it too suffers from being overweight like most every 70s Fender I've ever picked up.  It's like they started making them out of lead sometime around 1971.

• Hook 'Em 2

6 hours ago, hullabelew said:

Dammit Bogey...I have work I have to get done today.  

Yeah work on dope pedal board accessories for me to get to the Inlaw’s to order! The board is $129 from Sweetwater. I have $70 to max out my $200 limit my MIL spends on me. I’m thinking some patch cables to bridge the pedals I will buy! Let’s gooooo

Newb question here. On my acoustic, am i supposed to have to press down so hard on the strings to get the notes to sound right? Or hell, sound at all? I ask this cause i don't remember having to press down this hard on my electric i had years ago. Again, this is my first time playing an acoustic guitar. 

So is this normal? Need new strings? Needs to be setup correctly? or do i just need to stop being a pussy? 

Newb question here. On my acoustic, am i supposed to have to press down so hard on the strings to get the notes to sound right? Or hell, sound at all? I ask this cause i don't remember having to press down this hard on my electric i had years ago. Again, this is my first time playing an acoustic guitar. 
So is this normal? Need new strings? Needs to be setup correctly? or do i just need to stop being a pussy? 

The action may be too high. Get a setup. Stop being a pussy.

41 minutes ago, tigol said:

The action may be too high. Get a setup. Stop being a pussy.

1 minute ago, tbone_ said:

Yes you have to push down harder on acoustic than electric. As said above, your action (distance between strings and fingerboard/frets) could be too high. A tech can look at that for you.

Yeah that's my next step. The tech, not the stop being a pussy. 

thanks for the feedback 

• Hook 'Em 2

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fender-Stratocaster-Player-Series-Electric-Guitar-with-Deluxe-Case-White-/124955308645?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0
these any good? Thinking of buying and dropping that Seymour Duncan my buddy gave me in it. They are $719 new on reverb. This is new out of box. Description says out of box just to take pictures.

48 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Pro tip:  take half the time you spend surfing for new guitars and just practice.

Well, I can’t afford a new guitar so I guess I’ll be practicing. It’s just aggravating, if I hadn’t sold my guitar 20yrs ago and kept playing, who knows what crappy cover band I could be in right now!! 

16 hours ago, BERT said:

Get it setup first and tell them you have a light touch. 

20 hours ago, BERT said:

Yeah that's my next step. The tech, not the stop being a pussy. 

thanks for the feedback 

Get lighter gauged strings.

You probably have 12s on the acoustic. Get rid of those strings!

Get some 10s for your acoustic and you will be soooo much happier and will actually look forward to practicing. 

21 minutes ago, Napoleon said:

Get lighter gauged strings.

You probably have 12s on the acoustic. Get rid of those strings!

Get some 10s for your acoustic and you will be soooo much happier and will actually look forward to practicing. 

Thanks for the tip

• Hook 'Em 1

14 hours ago, tbone_ said:

Never seen 10 gauge acoustic strings. 11 is the lightest I’ve seen, and they sound thin to me.

There’s a local string maker in the North Dallas area that makes .010 gauge strings.

image.thumb.jpeg.5f9abad3cbac20caf027ffbc32b8cf44.jpeg

You can buy them at a local mom & pop music shop or hat has remarkably convenient hours of operation.

image.png.c52ddb0161d304daa0fdfb6801abcc18.png

If you don’t have a similar mom & pop shop around you, I believe that these guys are considering creating a website soon, so you may have to sit tight.

There is also a crazy new General Store start up that was initially a bookstore-turned-haberdashery that is a full on early 20th century general store (kind of an  almacen  in Argentina) that may currently stock guitar strings and you may be able to find them there.

image.png.fc10e33739c63dd81cecc7daec8f0dc4.png
Good luck, @BERT!

Edited by Napoleon
  • Haha 1

On 10/27/2021 at 3:24 PM, BoomMF said:

This wall has something for everyone, but if you could only pick one, putting aside raw value, which one would you get? ('56 Les Paul, '64 Firebird, '04 Masterbuilt Number One, '44 D-28)

Side note, as part of the provenance papers with the Firebird, it belonged to Nikki Sixx (bassist, I know, but it's the guitar most similar to the bass he's most identified with).

d7866c27122ca3e674675bb233e2c7d8.jpg

Am I missing something or does the second from left only have 5 strings?

28 minutes ago, Nole-4-Life said:

Am I missing something or does the second from left only have 5 strings?

You're missing something.

1st) It obviously has 6 strings.

2nd) You are counting tuning ends and ignoring that the 6 strings obviously have to have 6 tuning heads, so if the thinnest string disappears on the right and there is a part of the hanging mechanism blocking where that 6th tuning end would be, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It just means that you can't see it in the photo.

There’s a local string maker in the North Dallas area that makes .010 gauge strings.
image.thumb.jpeg.5f9abad3cbac20caf027ffbc32b8cf44.jpeg

You can buy them at a local mom & pop music shop or hat has remarkably convenient hours of operation.
image.png.c52ddb0161d304daa0fdfb6801abcc18.png

If you don’t have a similar mom & pop shop around you, I believe that these guys are considering creating a website soon, so you may have to sit tight.
There is also a crazy new General Store start up that was initially a bookstore-turned-haberdashery that is a full on early 20th century general store (kind of an  almacen  in Argentina) that may currently stock guitar strings and you may be able to find them there.
image.png.fc10e33739c63dd81cecc7daec8f0dc4.png
Good luck, [mention=38]BERT[/mention]!

Solid effort. That took some time.

Only 43 years of playing and never seen 10s. What can I say. Maybe I need to get out more.

23 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Solid effort. That took some time.

Only 43 years of playing and never seen 10s. What can I say. Maybe I need to get out more.

These strings are for people who haven't had 43 days of practice yet.

When you are just starting out, the most important thing isn't whether your guitar sounds a little thin... because all of your playing is going to sound like shit. The most important thing is to make the experience pleasant enough so that you want to pick the guitar up again.

MILLIONS have quite playing the guitar because the strings hurt too much to practice. The easiest way to fix that is to start on an electric guitar with 9 gauge strings or lighter. The second easiest way to fix that is to get 10 gauge strings on your acoustic (or electric). I have have started to learn to play over half a dozen times. I'm a big believer in everyone starting on the lightest strings possible so that they will actually continue to play. Heavier strings can come later.

21 minutes ago, Deej said:

Or not.

Live Show Concert GIF by Billy F. Gibbons

I don't know how full & rich playing 7s on an acoustic would be, but if you want super bends on your electrics, they are an option.

It turns out that my favorite North Texas string maker happens to make an acoustic set of 9s.

image.thumb.png.8bfd9c43047c0827d728ea72e31795cf.png

https://www.amazon.com/DAddario-American-Acoustic-Strings-009-045/dp/B0002LI5DG/

Different brand right here: https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/7GPUL--la-bella-7gpul-phosphor-bronze-ultra-light

Edited by Napoleon

3 hours ago, Napoleon said:

You're missing something.

1st) It obviously has 6 strings.

2nd) You are counting tuning ends and ignoring that the 6 strings obviously have to have 6 tuning heads, so if the thinnest string disappears on the right and there is a part of the hanging mechanism blocking where that 6th tuning end would be, that doesn't mean that it doesn't exist. It just means that you can't see it in the photo.

I see that now...it was fucking with my head. Thanks.

• Hook 'Em 1