Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On questions about DB:

CB - Ringo, Eaton, Watts and maybe Crawford

NB - Clark Philips or then Crawford 

Safety - Ransom, if you can get him, and Washington and Thompson

If they could land the right 6, they would take them. Probably 5 guys. Looks good on BW, CT, Eaton, then you cross your fingers on the OOS guys, then pus for Watts, Crawford, Alford if others fall through. 

• Like 3

On 2/18/2019 at 3:27 PM, Katfid54 said:

Wow.  That's fun.  Hadn't really focused on those rankings at the very top.  Some topics to chew on:

What're the chances we end up with one of those top 10 players?

What about two of the Top 10?

What about three of the Top 10?

If you were Vegas, where would you put the over/under on Texas's five star signees at the end of the 2020 class?

Texas is shooting for the moon this cycle. I will go with the over on anything up to 2.5 and if Broughton gets a 5th star eventually, hell, it could be 4 of them. 

Also, regarding the EJ Holland periscope notes, a couple of things. 

1) He’s being worked on the Preston Stone front. He’s got no evaluation skills, so he’s beholden to others and what they’ll tell him. So he’s hearing it from Stone’s camp without actually looking at the guy with a clear lens of skills, talent and upside. This dude Stone is Tisdale all over again. I am hoping he holds out from committing long enough that Texas gets their heads right and pivots. 

2) Gee, EJ, you twit, I wonder why Texas isn’t going within 100 feet of Lorando Jackson? Oh, and they’re super interested in McGlothern, huh? This rube is incapable of learning anything and he’s so naive it begs for the premise of having him examined and potentially put into a padded room somewhere for his own protection. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

I have seen a lot of Thompson, Snow and Mickens in person over the last 2 years. I would rank them in that order easily.

Thompson - This guy is the ideal Big 12 defender. Don't try to classify him as a particular position. He is best around the LOS. He would be a great spy against QBs who are running threats. He is big enough to set a hard edge against the run game and would cause receivers running short crossing routes to be taking their life in their hands.

Snow - Whether he wants to admit it or not he is a future LB wherever he goes. He is over 215 but should be playing at around 205. Another guy who does his best work around the LOS. He is a good kid who can be a good LB but needs to realize that.

Mickens - I don't want to bad mouth a high school kid but there is no way he is a top 10 in the state prospect. He played basically a slot corner when he played on defense. Unfortunately for him he is not athletic enough to do that in college at the highest level.Not a big hitter as a middle of the field safety either. He is a good high school player who, as others have mentioned, is a pretty typical Southlake maxed out kid. Did not play a single snap on defense in Southlake's last 2 playoff games

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

1) He’s being worked on the Preston Stone front. He’s got no evaluation skills, so he’s beholden to others and what they’ll tell him. So he’s hearing it from Stone’s camp without actually looking at the guy with a clear lens of skills, talent and upside. This dude Stone is Tisdale all over again. I am hoping he holds out from committing long enough that Texas gets their heads right and pivots.

Interesting. I know @Longhorn94loves himself some Preston Stone.

50 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Texas is shooting for the moon this cycle. I will go with the over on anything up to 2.5 and if Broughton gets a 5th star eventually, hell, it could be 4 of them. 

2) Gee, EJ, you twit, I wonder why Texas isn’t going within 100 feet of Lorando Jackson? Oh, and they’re super interested in McGlothern, huh? This rube is incapable of learning anything and he’s so naive it begs for the premise of having him examined and potentially put into a padded room somewhere for his own protection. 

Respect your opinion and insight, but I’m gonna disagree. Stone looks like an awesome QB to me. I don’t know dad details like you, but on the field I see a strong prospect. Especially if he’s still growing. I don’t see him fizzling like Tisdale. 

- belongs in 2021 - my biggest concerns with Stone are his level of comp and his tendency to bail out at the slightest bit of pressure. i also dont like his preference to throw across his body to the opposite side of the field. talent level looks good but has some bad habits.

i dont see the Tisdale situation comp. i never thought Tisdale looked good to begin with. i dont think Tisdale ever had this much hype.

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

27 minutes ago, GRHorn said:

Respect your opinion and insight, but I’m gonna disagree. Stone looks like an awesome QB to me. I don’t know dad details like you, but on the field I see a strong prospect. Especially if he’s still growing. I don’t see him fizzling like Tisdale. 

That’s what makes this fun. People can disagree and feel absolutely correct in their position. Then the player produces or doesn’t and we’ll all know. Looking past the parental stuff, I see Jaggy McJaggerson who needs to grow and bulk up. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

That’s what makes this fun. People can disagree and feel absolutely correct in their position. Then the player produces or doesn’t and we’ll all know. Looking past the parental stuff, I see Jaggy McJaggerson who needs to grow and bulk up. 

That’s a pretty hot take.

By comparison, Tisdale peaked at 158 overall and fell all the way to the 300s and #44 in Texas overall. He also didn’t have near the offers as a Senior that Stone does before his Junior year. That’s to say nothing of the film difference imo.

It sounds like you’re essentially projecting a Garrett Gilbert type trajectory for an elite QB. It will be interesting to follow.

1 minute ago, Teryor said:

Serious question, what's the difference in what Carrington and Fedora/Beatty are able to do recruiting-wise and do we expect any actual impact from Fedora/Beatty in that aspect? 

Fedora/Beatty provide consistency in offensive approach should Beck, Mehringer, Warehime, or Meekins leave.

Herman is smart to stack coaches just like he is stacking football players.

• Like 2

56 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

have you been reading my mail?

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I’m not in the “Hudson Card is obviously elite camp” like some so I think they need to really nail 2021. There should not be a rush to make up their minds before the freaking junior season is even played out. 

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

I’m not in the “Hudson Card is obviously elite camp” like some so I think they need to really nail 2021. There should not be a rush to make up their minds before the freaking junior season is even played out. 

I know this is 2021 but Preston Stone is really damn good. Surprised at all the sudden concern.

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

You also thought Sam was a waterhead. Nobody gets them all, that is why it is so fun to make fun of jokers like Hamm and Luicci who gets absolutely all of them wrong. You would think by shear numbers there would be a 50% hit rate at least, but these guys are beyond rational thought.

• Like 1