Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

14 minutes ago, Neonmoon said:

Yeah I don’t think Georgia is going to have any trouble hitting a top 5 class. At all. 

They'll probably keep the momentum going this year.  The bloom could start to come off the rose though with another loss to Bama (or if they fail to even get to the CCG) combined with a couple of other losses where Fromm looks poor, especially if Eason and Fields have big years.

Is the website not working for anyone else? Tapatalk is the only way I can post.

Also is there a chance we press Washington and he commits? Last I heard blOU had backed off (like they're doing for every single one of their defensive targets apparently, thanks Grinch).

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

Yes, it’s boned. Can only post with Tapatalk.
  • Like 1

E.J. Holland: Why Texas is a major player for elite DL Vernon Broughton

Vernon Broughton still isn’t sure when he wants to make a decision. But he did recently narrow down his lengthy offer list and has a good idea of which schools are separating themselves from the pack. “You already know who my top schools are,” Broughton said with a laugh. “I’m really looking at Texas, Oklahoma and Texas A&M. Alabama is still in there, too. I’m still mapping out the whole list.”

Broughton recently visited Texas for its elite prospect day, and the Longhorns have made him a top priority for this cycle. Both Tom Herman and Oscar Giles have been actively involved in his recruitment. In fact, Broughton said Herman and Giles have done a terrific job with him early. And it’s a big reason why UT has been pegged as a frontrunner. “Texas is standing out because of relationships,” Broughton said. “Me and Coach Giles and Coach Herman have been talking. We have a good relationship. It was crazy to have Coach Herman at my basketball game. He’s a cool dude.”

So what’s been their pitch? “Coach Giles said that if I come in and put the work in that I can be in a starting position,” Broughton said. “Coach Giles is a good coach, and I know I can learn a lot from him.” Broughton hopes to visit Texas again in the near future. At 6-foot-5, 280 pounds, Broughton is ranked as the No. 9 strong-side defensive end and No. 143 overall prospect in the country, per 247Sports Composite.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

E.J. After Dark

— Texas offered five-star Desert Pines (NV) tight end Darnell Washington a while ago. We haven’t talked much about him, but Texas is one of three schools that Washington is looking to visit at some point in the next couple of months. Washington has no Crystal Ball predictions at this time and seems completely wide open in his recruitment.

— Four-star Salpointe Catholic (AZ) running back Bijan Robinson plans to make a visit to Texas before the end of spring. As I mentioned earlier this week, his teammate and four-star defensive back Lathan Ransom also plans to see Texas soon as well. Texas has obviously had success in Arizona, and both have legitimate interest.

— Another out-of-state running back planning to visit Texas this spring is Cedartown (GA) product Kobe Pryor. Texas assistant Stan Drayton saw him and offered him during the contact period. Fellow assistant Jason Washington is also involved in this recruitment.

— Alabama just notched a commitment from three-star Jacksonville Sandalwood (Fla.) cornerback Jahquez Robinson. But that doesn’t mean his recruitment is over. Robinson has still been in contact with the aforementioned Washington and plans to make an official visit to Texas this spring.

Going back to the numbers discussion, they’re still not thinking it’s a full class and they also plan to leave 1-2 spots available every year for transfers on top of that. “What guys should we run off?”. They like the roster. 

My view is that some guys will choose to leave because of depth and that some players wanting to leave will always be a bit of a shock to Herman due to his narcissism. So I could still see a full class, but that’s not the word, regardless. 

Dorbah’s a b-backer. They’ve a good shot at getting the big 4 on the DL, but Collins repeating the line about seeing himself as a DE is ATM feeding him thinking on the value of playing in a 4-3 in the SEC. He’s also not being reached as much as you’d think because because ...

If pushes were made to get commitments from Jordan and Dixon, they’d be committed now. Part of trying to shoot the moon while thinking you won’t take a full class is that risk alienating guys you’d take any other time. We’ll see how things work out. 

Cain + Sanders redux appears to be in full effect, hopefully with a different outcome.

J Jackson, Wilson, and the Temple WR would be the top WR group finish with Cooper. None of those guys are slow as fuck and would be better fits in the Big 12. Got to get Wilson on campus soon, which is expected. 

I've always thought it was interesting how Jimbo would try to fit odd front ends into a 4-3, so I wondered how his DL faired in the draft since they seemed to be frequently misused 

Here are the DL he's recruited that were .9000+, and where they were drafted

Eddie Goldman .9995 Pick 39

Josh Sweat .995 Pick 130

Mario Edwards .9944 Pick 35

Timmy Jernigan .9927 Pick 48

Chris Casher .987 Undrafted

DeMarcus Walker .9829 Pick 51

Tank Carradine .9622 Pick 40

Janarius Robinson .9571 Still at FSU (not expected to be drafted)

Derrick Nnadi .9554 Pick 75

Demarcus Christmas .9399 Still at FSU (likely a mid to late round pick)

Justin Shanks .9374 Undrafted

Darious Cummings .9358 Undrafted

Keith Bryant .9196 Undrafted

Darvin Taylor .9196 Undrafted

Cedric Wood .9058 Still at FSU (not expected to be drafted)

He's recruited very well on the DL, and most of his higher rated guys ended up in the 2nd round (5 of his top 7 in the 2nd round, one undrafted, one 4th round), however for all the 5*s and high 4*s he's had, he's never produced a first round draft pick off the DL. Also, his lower rated 4*s tend to go undrafted.

It seems to me his elite DL recruits don't reach their ceilings but are good enough to get drafted in the 2nd, while he doesn't develop the others very well. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Sundancekid said:

Our defensive line has given me nothing to complain about and I believe it’s only going to get better. Giles isn’t that bad. He turns the three and four stars we get into very solid players.

...we haven't even missed on Collins yet and the justifications are already starting?

So the guy was quoted as saying “Texas is on top” to an Aggie site over the weekend with Oklahoma being mentioned in 2nd but the caveat that “they have backed off since the new DC. We know aggy wants him but the kid is quoted as saying they have work to do to move up the list. the pessimism that persists in these recruitments sometimes gets a little old real quick in these cycles.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

So the guy was quoted as saying “Texas is on top” to an Aggie site over the weekend with Oklahoma being mentioned in 2nd but the caveat that “they have backed off since the new DC. We know aggy wants him but the kid is quoted as saying they have work to do to move up the list. the pessimism that persists in these recruitments sometimes gets a little old real quick in these cycles.

Exactly who are you talking about here, man? Your rambling reads like aspects of both Broughton and Collins and neither at the same time. I think most people here are very encouraged with where we are with Broughton, and I don't see much pessimism outside of the fact he's got himself a handler. 

Collins people aren't really pessimistic about either, but repeated quotes of him not hearing much from Giles despite Austin being about half an hour away and legacy family ties is irritating AF. 

Edited by SydneyCarton

2 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So, does Giles just show up and spit on people or something?  People act like he's recruiting for other teams. 

You can't spit on someone when you don't show up. Kids like him, they just don't consistently hear from him, he doesn't visit unless ordered, and he has zero awareness of how much or little other schools are recruiting kids. Among other issues. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, DigglerontheHoof said:

So, does Giles just show up and spit on people or something?  People act like he's recruiting for other teams. 

He hasn't talked to Collins in person (per a recent quote from Collins) since Collins visited about six weeks ago

• Like 2

Sounds like we're going on the offensive against OU: Jahari Rogers told Super K that Texas was his favorite visit of the four places he's been to recently (Texas, TCU, OU, LSU), and we're on the verge of offering OU's cornerback commit from Mater Dei (Darion Green-Warren), who said he'd visit for the spring game if that happened.

• Like 1

Just now, Fud said:

He hasn't talked to Collins in person (per a recent quote from Collins) since Collins visited about six weeks ago

To elaborate on what Fud said...I'm not sure how much time you spend on the recruiting boards..but for many who don't live here, recently Alex Grinch, the newly hired DC at Oklahoma, has come to our attention for all the wrong reasons. He had a bad reputation for sucking at recruiting while at Ohio State, and when he got to OU he promptly talked to...no one. Literally top recruits are saying they haven't heard anything from Grinch and the whole oklahoma recruiting apparatus on that side of the ball seems to have been slammed into neutral. We are capitalizing. And mocking the fuck out of Grinch in the process. 

Oscar Giles is the Alex Grinch of Defensive Line recruiting. His ineptitude is just contained to his position and his recruiting region. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Sounds like we're going on the offensive against OU: Jahari Rogers told Super K that Texas was his favorite visit of the four places he's been to recently (Texas, TCU, OU, LSU), and we're on the verge of offering OU's cornerback commit from Mater Dei (Darion Green-Warren), who said he'd visit for the spring game if that happened.

I don't really see how those guys fit in the class right now, but nothing wrong with due diligence and making your rivals work harder 

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Interesting. I'll take this guy and any guy as our department expands if they're worth a shit. Hope he isn't a direct replacement for Naivar if Orlando moves on, however, and Naiver up. His recruiting seemed kinda sketch for miami. Pulling low 4 and 3 stars out of Miami area seems sort of like the default, right? I'll defer to others with more knowledge on this guy as a coach, however. I don't know anything about him other than what I gleaned looking at his 247 page.

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Interesting. I'll take this guy and any guy as our department expands if they're worth a shit. Hope he isn't a direct replacement for Naivar if Orlando moves on, however, and Naiver up. His recruiting seemed kinda sketch for miami. Pulling low 4 and 3 stars out of Miami area seems sort of like the default, right? I'll defer to others with more knowledge on this guy as a coach, however. I don't know anything about him other than what I gleaned looking at his 247 page.

I figured this had more to do with coaching, since our self-scouting on defense was lacking last season.

22 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Exactly who are you talking about here, man? Your rambling reads like aspects of both Broughton and Collins and neither at the same time. I think most people here are very encouraged with where we are with Broughton, and I don't see much pessimism outside of the fact he's got himself a handler. 

Collins people aren't really pessimistic about either, but repeated quotes of him not hearing much from Giles despite Austin being about half an hour away and legacy family ties is irritating AF. 

I don't get into the Giles debate and I haven't been on the 2020 board for long, but here was a direct quote from Collins yesterday about Giles on TFB

"The coach in particular who has made the most impact on Collins is defensive line coach Oscar Giles, “He’s a good dude. A good coach. He’s open and he listens to you.”

The only mention I have seen about Collins not hearing from anyone is about him not hearing squat from OU recently.

There may be something else out there, but that doesn't sound like Collins isn't hearing from Giles...

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Talking about Collins and his quotes from the article. He mentions not seeing Giles in person but never mentions not having spoken to him. 

https://www.theother98.com/recent-visit-was-fun-for-alfred-collins-but-a-m-still-has-work-to-do/12570/10

Edited by Dondrysdale1

If we make the same mistakes regarding DL and RB recruiting that we made last year I will lose my mind. 

Ty Jordan is a good player. Really good imo.  Better than Barlow and glass from 2019. I'm ok with not offering in February but this can't drag on forever.   He needs to be recruited.  Earnestly.

I'm more neutral on Dixon because I'm not sure he's a flawless fit right now.  If they want to wait to see him in the fall then that's fine with me.

If Giles is really as lazy and negligent as we are being shown and led to believe then that's on Herman.  When I was in HS and nearly failling Algebra my parents made me bring home my notes and book every night to show my work.  I still suck at math but it got my ass in gear.  Herman needs to do the same.

Just now, TexasRenegade said:

I don't get into the Giles debate and I haven't been on the 2020 board for long, but here was a direct quote from Collins yesterday about Giles on TFB

"The coach in particular who has made the most impact on Collins is defensive line coach Oscar Giles, “He’s a good dude. A good coach. He’s open and he listens to you.”

The only mention I have seen about Collins not hearing from anyone is about him not hearing squat from OU recently.

There may be something else out there, but that doesn't sound like Collins isn't hearing from Giles...

Well you're right. There's more out there. Like I said, kids LIKE Giles. They just don't hear from him. As Fud posted a few posts up, he is quoted directly in an article from The Other 98 saying he hasn't seen Giles in 2 months. It's literally in the paragraph DIRECTLY PRECEDING what you quoted dude:
Collins was a bit more forthcoming in detailing his relationship with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. The two last saw each other earlier this year at a Longhorns recruiting event, but Collins was not able to attend Texas’ most recent one preceding his appearance in Sunday’s Under Armour All-American Football camp. 

At the end of the day, Giles recruiting is a known quantity to the people who follow this religiously. I'm not going to waste my time chronicling 3 years of watching Giles recruit with this current regime and, what, 10 years under Brown? His antics and sloth are a consistent pattern at this point. 

2 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If we make the same mistakes regarding DL and RB recruiting that we made last year I will lose my mind. 

Ty Jordan is a good player. Really good imo.  Better than Barlow and glass from 2019. I'm ok with not offering in February but this can't drag on forever.   He needs to be recruited.  Earnestly.

I'm more neutral on Dixon because I'm not sure he's a flawless fit right now.  If they want to wait to see him in the fall then that's fine with me.

If Giles is really as lazy and negligent as we are being shown and led to believe then that's on Herman.  When I was in HS and nearly failling Algebra my parents made me bring home my notes and book every night to show my work.  I still suck at math but it got my ass in gear.  Herman needs to do the same.

You're not going to see me defending the retention of Giles or absolving Herman of blame. Herman seems to be somewhat aware of the problem, however. He has actively involved himself in some of the DL recruitment, specifically Broughton. But he hasn't done so with Collins because, well, they figured Collins is a slam dunk. And here we are. 

29 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You can't spit on someone when you don't show up. Kids like him, they just don't consistently hear from him, he doesn't visit unless ordered, and he has zero awareness of how much or little other schools are recruiting kids. Among other issues. 

Isn't this as much on Herman at this point? I certainly don't know the ins and outs of how coaches spend their time, but it seems like if Giles is negligent in one of his primary responsibilities (recruiting), his boss should be up in his ass about it...right?

If his personality just doesn't click with kids, that's one thing; if he simply doesn't try, that's quite another. 

7 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

Talking about Collins and his quotes from the article. He mentions not seeing Giles in person but never mentions not having spoken to him. 

https://www.theother98.com/recent-visit-was-fun-for-alfred-collins-but-a-m-still-has-work-to-do/12570/10

Yes, you're correct. I'm sure Giles text. I should have specified "been by to see." 

1 minute ago, Hank Chinaski said:

Isn't this as much on Herman at this point? I certainly don't know the ins and outs of how coaches spend their time, but it seems like if Giles is negligent in one of his primary responsibilities (recruiting), his boss should be up in his ass about it...right?

If his personality just doesn't click with kids, that's one thing; if he simply doesn't try, that's quite another. 

Yes. They both deserve blame if this goes belly up.

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

4 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're not going to see me defending the retention of Giles or absolving Herman of blame. Herman seems to be somewhat aware of the problem, however. He has actively involved himself in some of the DL recruitment, specifically Broughton. But he hasn't done so with Collins because, well, they figured Collins is a slam dunk. And here we are. 

Or per CTJs comments about shooting the moon...Collins may not yet be a full on take..... I would be seriously surprised if that was the case considering Dline recruiting I wouldn't think that would be the position group where they limited themselves this cycle...and highly unlikely thats the case.

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 5