Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Wells @ IT: UT goes hunting in East Texas

Spoiler

It's been a cycle since Texas snagged an East Texas prospect. Keaontay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown both pledged to the Longhorns' class of 2018 within days of each other two summers ago. After the region was low on talent in 2019, the UT staff has gone back into the piney woods where a handful of 2020s and a sh*t ton 2021s are beginning to catch colleges attention. Let's discuss.

PLEASANT GROVE 2021 D-LINE DUO

"It's fun," said Marcus Burris. "Being here today makes me want to grind harder. Talking to the coaches, it makes me feel like I need to put myself in a position to be here. Not many people get this opportunity."

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive tackle had a promising 2018 season after teammate, Landon Jackson, went down for the year with a knee injury. It gave Burris the opportunity to shine as he helped Pleasant Grove back to the 4A state championship game. He's still a virtual unknown on the recruiting scene with only one offer; Texas State. That will change though.

"I'm visiting LSU real soon," said Burris. "Arkansas and TCU want me on campus too."

It's only a matter of time before Burris is a household name. His teammate Jackson, who visited the Horns that day as well, is no stranger to the recruiting game.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound defensive end picked up his first offer almost a year ago from Texas A&M. OU, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, and Texas Tech have pushed his offers to double digits. UT offered last September and Alabama joined the fray today.

"It was the same as usual," Jackson explained about his Austin trip. "I always like coming here. Really nice campus, facilities are really nice, and just being around the coaches."

Jackson, whose father played basketball at Texas A&M in the 80s and mother who played college volleyball, comes from an athletic family.

"I'll always like A&M because of my dad," Jackson said. "But that's not going to be the reason I go where I go just because my dad played there. I think that mindset and assumption is dumb. You have to go where you feel is right, not where your father went."

Warehime and Giles have been tremendous to the junior-to-be from Texarkana, which is why the Horns look good right now. He's mature beyond his years and loves UT's approach to his recruitment.

"I'm really cool with coach Giles," said Jackson. "He's definitely the closest coach in college I talk with. I talk with him a lot. He's a great guy."

He'll see more schools this spring, including LSU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M. He'll be at Arizona this weekend. He'll also attend UT's spring game in the next few months.

SPECIMEN: CLAYTON SMITH

In the recruiting world, most players' measureables are often rounded up when the coaches, writers are unsure of a prospect's size and speed. If they say he's "6'2, 215," he's often "6'1, 198." Before Clayton Smith arrived to Austin, I was told 6'4, 220, by his HS coach. When Smith walked out of Moncrief, Eric and I looked at each other like, "who the **** is that?" That happened to be the Texas High sophomore linebacker making his very first recruiting visit. He told us 6-foot-4, 215, for the record. He looks bigger.

Smith, who runs the 200, 400, and 4x100 for the Tigers, looked like a specimen from the Build A Prospect store in the mall. His entire family made the trip, including his older brother who had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

"This was a great experience and I didn't realize Texas was so nice," said Smith. "Great environment, great weight room, and great facilities. I look forward to coming back."

Smith got a chance to watch film with coach Orlando, as Texas sees him as the ideal fit in its scheme. He'd bring a lot to the table in Austin.

"Great leadership first," Smith said. "I have a great work ethic and would bring that everyday. I'm an outside linebacker, defensive end type right now, but UT calls it the B-backer. I got to speak with coach Herman too. He had a lot of nice things to say about me, that he loved my film, and he looks forward to seeing me return."

He'll return to the ATX for UT's spring game in April, visit Texas A&M next month, and compete at the Under Armour camp this weekend in Arlington, where PJC and myself will be.

JOHN TYLER SPEED

If you've ever watched the John Tyler Lions play football, or any sport for that matter, you've noticed they rarely lack that one differentiator that separates athletes; speed. They have it in spades on Cujo's campus and one in particular caught the eyes of Derek Warehime and Jason Washington. That's Kitan Crawford, the multi-sport stud from the C/O 2020.

After catching up with a few coaches, I learned Crawford is a hair over 6-foot and weighs 188 pounds. He runs multiple events in T&F and was hand-timed at 4.32 (40) in December. Texas decided to be the first big program to offer Crawford a couple weeks ago, and made the trip to Austin last weekend.

"It was great," said Crawford. "I got to meet all the coaches, they kept it real with me. A lot of college coaches show fake love. Not here. They're real. I respect that. Just a great visit."

Florida State, Baylor, and Kansas hit him up the most, and he is looking into potential trips. Every school likes Crawford at CB or RB, with the Horns eyeing him at corner.

"(Texas) really wants me at corner," said Crawford. "I don't care really. I'm just a football player. Put me where you need me."

In track, the burner from the Rose City runs the 4x1, 4x2, 200, and long jump. With Tom Herman discussing prospects that run track, among other sports, there won't be any specialization at JT for Crawford.

"The (UT) offer meant a lot to me," Crawford said. "Getting to know coach Washington was my favorite part. You know he's real in how he speaks to you. Watching film with him was a highlight."

Tennessee extended an offer earlier today, and I expect more over the next nine months. But for now, getting back to Austin soon is a must.

JEFFERSON DB IS MOVING ON UP

The name Lyrik Rawls isn't new to the board at IT. We've mentioned the budding 2021 star safety a handful of times to prepare you for what's next; lots of offers. The Texas staff identified Rawls early while watching Arkansas signee TQ Jackson’s film. Every few clips, the "who is that dude?" question was asked.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Rawls combines speed and agility with raw, head-hunting tackles. He might smile a lot off the field, but on Friday nights he's a different dude. This wasn't the first time he visited UT. He did get to hang out with coach Naivar in the film room and left the 40 Acres with another big smile.

"Man, it's beautiful here," Rawls said. "I liked everything about it. The weight room is beautiful, and I really like how the positional groups are set up. It allowed me 1-on-1 time with coach Naivar and to see how I'd fit at Texas. I learned stuff today."

He'll hit the Under Armour and Opening regional camps over the next few weeks, then the satellite camp circuit this summer. Arkansas, Texas Tech, TCU, and Missouri are also on the radar but getting back to Austin for another visit seems to be his top priority.

THE OTHERS

In 2020's class, Lufkin's Jerrin Thompson and Marshall's Savion Williams stand out in the ETX region. Thompson, who Texas is keeping close tabs on, just picked up an LSU offer to go with OU, TCU, Arkansas and others. With Williams, the 6-foot-4, 195-pound freak athlete is slowly picking up steam after a stellar junior campaign. He's quietly assembled 15 offers including TCU, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Texas Tech over the last nine months.

In both prospects, Texas likes both and wants to see more. The problem is numbers. With the success of back-to-back top 3 recruiting classes, it's tough factoring into UT's Big Board.

I think Thompson is an offer if guys like Bryson Washington, Xavian Alford, and Lathan Ransom go elsewhere. But Williams, who has as much upside as any pass-catcher in-state not named Demond Demas, might be on the outside looking in. I've said this before; don't let this guy end up at TCU or Oklahoma State. He's this cycle's Tevailance Hunt.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NoName said:

Wells @ IT: UT goes hunting in East Texas

Hide contents

It's been a cycle since Texas snagged an East Texas prospect. Keaontay Ingram and DeMarvion Overshown both pledged to the Longhorns' class of 2018 within days of each other two summers ago. After the region was low on talent in 2019, the UT staff has gone back into the piney woods where a handful of 2020s and a sh*t ton 2021s are beginning to catch colleges attention. Let's discuss.

PLEASANT GROVE 2021 D-LINE DUO

"It's fun," said Marcus Burris. "Being here today makes me want to grind harder. Talking to the coaches, it makes me feel like I need to put myself in a position to be here. Not many people get this opportunity."

The 6-foot-5, 250-pound defensive tackle had a promising 2018 season after teammate, Landon Jackson, went down for the year with a knee injury. It gave Burris the opportunity to shine as he helped Pleasant Grove back to the 4A state championship game. He's still a virtual unknown on the recruiting scene with only one offer; Texas State. That will change though.

"I'm visiting LSU real soon," said Burris. "Arkansas and TCU want me on campus too."

It's only a matter of time before Burris is a household name. His teammate Jackson, who visited the Horns that day as well, is no stranger to the recruiting game.

The 6-foot-5, 235-pound defensive end picked up his first offer almost a year ago from Texas A&M. OU, Oklahoma State, Arkansas, and Texas Tech have pushed his offers to double digits. UT offered last September and Alabama joined the fray today.

"It was the same as usual," Jackson explained about his Austin trip. "I always like coming here. Really nice campus, facilities are really nice, and just being around the coaches."

Jackson, whose father played basketball at Texas A&M in the 80s and mother who played college volleyball, comes from an athletic family.

"I'll always like A&M because of my dad," Jackson said. "But that's not going to be the reason I go where I go just because my dad played there. I think that mindset and assumption is dumb. You have to go where you feel is right, not where your father went."

Warehime and Giles have been tremendous to the junior-to-be from Texarkana, which is why the Horns look good right now. He's mature beyond his years and loves UT's approach to his recruitment.

"I'm really cool with coach Giles," said Jackson. "He's definitely the closest coach in college I talk with. I talk with him a lot. He's a great guy."

He'll see more schools this spring, including LSU, Arkansas, and Texas A&M. He'll be at Arizona this weekend. He'll also attend UT's spring game in the next few months.

SPECIMEN: CLAYTON SMITH

In the recruiting world, most players' measureables are often rounded up when the coaches, writers are unsure of a prospect's size and speed. If they say he's "6'2, 215," he's often "6'1, 198." Before Clayton Smith arrived to Austin, I was told 6'4, 220, by his HS coach. When Smith walked out of Moncrief, Eric and I looked at each other like, "who the **** is that?" That happened to be the Texas High sophomore linebacker making his very first recruiting visit. He told us 6-foot-4, 215, for the record. He looks bigger.

Smith, who runs the 200, 400, and 4x100 for the Tigers, looked like a specimen from the Build A Prospect store in the mall. His entire family made the trip, including his older brother who had a cup of coffee in the NFL.

"This was a great experience and I didn't realize Texas was so nice," said Smith. "Great environment, great weight room, and great facilities. I look forward to coming back."

Smith got a chance to watch film with coach Orlando, as Texas sees him as the ideal fit in its scheme. He'd bring a lot to the table in Austin.

"Great leadership first," Smith said. "I have a great work ethic and would bring that everyday. I'm an outside linebacker, defensive end type right now, but UT calls it the B-backer. I got to speak with coach Herman too. He had a lot of nice things to say about me, that he loved my film, and he looks forward to seeing me return."

He'll return to the ATX for UT's spring game in April, visit Texas A&M next month, and compete at the Under Armour camp this weekend in Arlington, where PJC and myself will be.

JOHN TYLER SPEED

If you've ever watched the John Tyler Lions play football, or any sport for that matter, you've noticed they rarely lack that one differentiator that separates athletes; speed. They have it in spades on Cujo's campus and one in particular caught the eyes of Derek Warehime and Jason Washington. That's Kitan Crawford, the multi-sport stud from the C/O 2020.

After catching up with a few coaches, I learned Crawford is a hair over 6-foot and weighs 188 pounds. He runs multiple events in T&F and was hand-timed at 4.32 (40) in December. Texas decided to be the first big program to offer Crawford a couple weeks ago, and made the trip to Austin last weekend.

"It was great," said Crawford. "I got to meet all the coaches, they kept it real with me. A lot of college coaches show fake love. Not here. They're real. I respect that. Just a great visit."

Florida State, Baylor, and Kansas hit him up the most, and he is looking into potential trips. Every school likes Crawford at CB or RB, with the Horns eyeing him at corner.

"(Texas) really wants me at corner," said Crawford. "I don't care really. I'm just a football player. Put me where you need me."

In track, the burner from the Rose City runs the 4x1, 4x2, 200, and long jump. With Tom Herman discussing prospects that run track, among other sports, there won't be any specialization at JT for Crawford.

"The (UT) offer meant a lot to me," Crawford said. "Getting to know coach Washington was my favorite part. You know he's real in how he speaks to you. Watching film with him was a highlight."

Tennessee extended an offer earlier today, and I expect more over the next nine months. But for now, getting back to Austin soon is a must.

JEFFERSON DB IS MOVING ON UP

The name Lyrik Rawls isn't new to the board at IT. We've mentioned the budding 2021 star safety a handful of times to prepare you for what's next; lots of offers. The Texas staff identified Rawls early while watching Arkansas signee TQ Jackson’s film. Every few clips, the "who is that dude?" question was asked.

At 6-foot-1, 180 pounds, Rawls combines speed and agility with raw, head-hunting tackles. He might smile a lot off the field, but on Friday nights he's a different dude. This wasn't the first time he visited UT. He did get to hang out with coach Naivar in the film room and left the 40 Acres with another big smile.

"Man, it's beautiful here," Rawls said. "I liked everything about it. The weight room is beautiful, and I really like how the positional groups are set up. It allowed me 1-on-1 time with coach Naivar and to see how I'd fit at Texas. I learned stuff today."

He'll hit the Under Armour and Opening regional camps over the next few weeks, then the satellite camp circuit this summer. Arkansas, Texas Tech, TCU, and Missouri are also on the radar but getting back to Austin for another visit seems to be his top priority.

THE OTHERS

In 2020's class, Lufkin's Jerrin Thompson and Marshall's Savion Williams stand out in the ETX region. Thompson, who Texas is keeping close tabs on, just picked up an LSU offer to go with OU, TCU, Arkansas and others. With Williams, the 6-foot-4, 195-pound freak athlete is slowly picking up steam after a stellar junior campaign. He's quietly assembled 15 offers including TCU, Arkansas, Missouri, Illinois, and Texas Tech over the last nine months.

In both prospects, Texas likes both and wants to see more. The problem is numbers. With the success of back-to-back top 3 recruiting classes, it's tough factoring into UT's Big Board.

I think Thompson is an offer if guys like Bryson Washington, Xavian Alford, and Lathan Ransom go elsewhere. But Williams, who has as much upside as any pass-catcher in-state not named Demond Demas, might be on the outside looking in. I've said this before; don't let this guy end up at TCU or Oklahoma State. He's this cycle's Tevailance Hunt.

giphy.gif

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Rivals top 70 for Texas released.  Garth is a 4* at #35 in-state ( previously 3* I think ).

Other notes is Collins is #65, Ryan Watts moves in at #51, Dorbah dropped to a 3* ( #50 ), George dropped big time and Eaton is in the top 70.

https://n.rivals.com/state_rankings/2020/texas

giphy.gif

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Chili dog said:

That cool/warm label is all fucked up. I’ve seen guys who are openly declaring one school or another to be their favorites and then those schools are listed as “cool” on the recruiting profiles. It’s not always accurate. So he may actually be cool on aggy, or the thing may be fucked. 

ah, you know 9.95ers...  probably they mentioned aggy and he said:  "OK, cool, hook 'em."  

so, 'cool' it is.  That'll be 9.95 please.

Mike Roach: Rising 2020 ATH Kitan Crawford talks Texas offer, visit

Kitan Crawford drew quite a crowd of reporters at Texas’ junior day. The three-star athlete from John Tyler high school was a relative unknown before the Longhorns recently offered, and now he’s becoming a household name. Crawford holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, North Texas and Tulane. After visiting Texas, it’s clear the Longhorns made an impression on him with their offer. “It meant a lot to me,” he said. “It’s just a dream come true.”

Crawford plays both cornerback and running back at the high school level. He has the ability to play either position in college, but the Longhorns are recruiting him at cornerback. For Crawford, he’s just looking for a place to play. “Texas has just been really talking about corner,” Crawford said. “I just want to be a football player, so it’s just wherever they put me.”

Crawford spent time on the visit with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. He was able to sit in on the meeting room and go over film to see how the Longhorns operate. “The best part was talking to the DB coach and getting to know them,” he said. “I just watched what they do and how they act.” Crawford also saw a presentation on the planned upgrades to Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, and he was impressed with future plans. “I think it’s pretty great how they are making the suites and how they are going to update it,” Crawford said. “It will be pretty nice.”

Crawford currently has no upcoming visits set in stone, but he wants to visit a few different campuses. “I might go to Baylor again along with Kansas and Florida State,” he said. At 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, Crawford is ranked as the No. 79 athlete in the nation and No. 117 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.[/Spoiler[

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Hide contents

Kitan Crawford drew quite a crowd of reporters at Texas’ junior day. The three-star athlete from John Tyler high school was a relative unknown before the Longhorns recently offered, and now he’s becoming a household name. Crawford holds offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Houston, Kansas State, Louisiana Tech, North Texas and Tulane. After visiting Texas, it’s clear the Longhorns made an impression on him with their offer. “It meant a lot to me,” he said. “It’s just a dream come true.”

Crawford plays both cornerback and running back at the high school level. He has the ability to play either position in college, but the Longhorns are recruiting him at cornerback. For Crawford, he’s just looking for a place to play. “Texas has just been really talking about corner,” Crawford said. “I just want to be a football player, so it’s just wherever they put me.”

Crawford spent time on the visit with Texas cornerbacks coach Jason Washington. He was able to sit in on the meeting room and go over film to see how the Longhorns operate. “The best part was talking to the DB coach and getting to know them,” he said. “I just watched what they do and how they act.” Crawford also saw a presentation on the planned upgrades to Darrell K. Royal-Texas Memorial Stadium, and he was impressed with future plans. “I think it’s pretty great how they are making the suites and how they are going to update it,” Crawford said. “It will be pretty nice.”

Crawford currently has no upcoming visits set in stone, but he wants to visit a few different campuses. “I might go to Baylor again along with Kansas and Florida State,” he said. At 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, Crawford is ranked as the No. 79 athlete in the nation and No. 117 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.[/Spoiler[

Wonder if that offer is commitable at this time.

Edited by Wishbone

Crawford currently has no upcoming visits set in stone, but he wants to visit a few different campuses. “I might go to Baylor again along with Kansas and Florida State,” he said. At 5-foot-10, 170 pounds, Crawford is ranked as the No. 79 athlete in the nation and No. 117 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.[/spoiler[
The fact he mentions Kansas, baylol and florida state as maybes does show how bad dumbo fucked FSU over.