Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're not going to see me defending the retention of Giles or absolving Herman of blame. Herman seems to be somewhat aware of the problem, however. He has actively involved himself in some of the DL recruitment, specifically Broughton. But he hasn't done so with Collins because, well, they figured Collins is a slam dunk. And here we are. 

Good to know.

17 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

You're not going to see me defending the retention of Giles or absolving Herman of blame. Herman seems to be somewhat aware of the problem, however. He has actively involved himself in some of the DL recruitment, specifically Broughton. But he hasn't done so with Collins because, well, they figured Collins is a slam dunk. And here we are. 

Not that I don't overall agree that Giles should be more involved, but as for "and here we are", I'll say: It's February. Not getting greedy just yet.

Edit: I'm not even sure why I made the reply above. We all know this. Whatever. 

Edited by UncleBuck

7 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

We need an Oscar Giles recruiting incompetence thread so we don't have to have this discussion every other day.

Yes, Giles is a lazy recruiter. Yes, it's on Herman. OK good. Can we move on? 

No we don't. The reason we're having this discussion so often is because Giles is struggling on the trail often. These are all separate incidents with separate kids, if he wasn't repeating this pattern so frequently people wouldn't be bringing it up so frequently. When Giles decides not to keep in touch with kids he's recruiting, you should be blaming him, not the posters who have the audacity to bring it up in the recruiting thread.

Whatever your opinions on Giles are, it's Texas recruiting related and it belongs in this thread.

Edited by satyanash
  • Like 6

14 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If we make the same mistakes regarding DL and RB recruiting that we made last year I will lose my mind. 

Well, the recruiters for those positions (Drayton/Giles) are still here, right? When you decide not to get rid of anyone from your staff you're sending a very definitive message.

7 minutes ago, satyanash said:

The reason we're having this discussion so often is because Giles is struggling on the trail so often, and it's very evident. These are all separate incidents with separate kids. When Giles decides not to keep in touch with kids he's recruiting, you should be blaming him, not the posters who have the audacity to bring it up in the recruiting thread.

Whatever your opinions on Giles are, it's Texas recruiting related and it belongs in this thread.

Just to be clear, is all of the current Collins worry coming from a quote from "the Other 98%" in which Collins states "“It was good just getting a one-on-one with the coaches and taking in a basketball game. . . . I like Coach Giles, he’s a good dude … he’s open and he’ll listen to you.”?

Edited by Texas Wahoo
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, closetojumping said:

Going back to the numbers discussion, they’re still not thinking it’s a full class and they also plan to leave 1-2 spots available every year for transfers on top of that. “What guys should we run off?”. They like the roster. 

My view is that some guys will choose to leave because of depth and that some players wanting to leave will always be a bit of a shock to Herman due to his narcissism. So I could still see a full class, but that’s not the word, regardless. 

Dorbah’s a b-backer. They’ve a good shot at getting the big 4 on the DL, but Collins repeating the line about seeing himself as a DE is ATM feeding him thinking on the value of playing in a 4-3 in the SEC. He’s also not being reached as much as you’d think because because ...

If pushes were made to get commitments from Jordan and Dixon, they’d be committed now. Part of trying to shoot the moon while thinking you won’t take a full class is that risk alienating guys you’d take any other time. We’ll see how things work out. 

Cain + Sanders redux appears to be in full effect, hopefully with a different outcome.

J Jackson, Wilson, and the Temple WR would be the top WR group finish with Cooper. None of those guys are slow as fuck and would be better fits in the Big 12. Got to get Wilson on campus soon, which is expected. 

Do they really think they can swing two of the five-star RBs together? Because no matter the numbers we need two, clearly and Jordan's an obvious fit as the complementary back.

Edited by texifornia

9 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Or per CTJs comments about shooting the moon...Collins may not yet be a full on take..... I would be seriously surprised if that was the case considering Dline recruiting I wouldn't think that would be the position group where they limited themselves this cycle...and highly unlikely thats the case.

Collins is a take every day of the week. Don't post here if you're going to going to litter the board with this shit.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

Just to be clear, is all of the current Collins worry coming from a quote from "the Other 98%" in which Collins states "“It was good just getting a one-on-one with the coaches and taking in a basketball game. . . . I like Coach Giles, he’s a good dude … he’s open and he’ll listen to you.”

No, it's coming from CTJ's comment where he implies Giles isn't reaching out to Collins as often as he should be.

17 minutes ago, Post Oak said:

If we make the same mistakes regarding DL and RB recruiting that we made last year I will lose my mind. 

Ty Jordan is a good player. Really good imo.  Better than Barlow and glass from 2019. I'm ok with not offering in February but this can't drag on forever.   He needs to be recruited.  Earnestly.

I'm more neutral on Dixon because I'm not sure he's a flawless fit right now.  If they want to wait to see him in the fall then that's fine with me.

If Giles is really as lazy and negligent as we are being shown and led to believe then that's on Herman.  When I was in HS and nearly failling Algebra my parents made me bring home my notes and book every night to show my work.  I still suck at math but it got my ass in gear.  Herman needs to do the same.

To be clear, my understanding is that Jordan has a committable offer. Just no big push for him to do anything from the org’s end. 

8 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

Or per CTJs comments about shooting the moon...Collins may not yet be a full on take..... I would be seriously surprised if that was the case considering Dline recruiting I wouldn't think that would be the position group where they limited themselves this cycle...and highly unlikely thats the case.

I believe they definitively want Collins and that’s he’s a major dawg on the DL for this class. I also believe they’ll land him in the end. What should be a slam dunk, however, is apparently going to drag longer than it should. And by that, I mean the guy should already be a commitment and a cheerleader for this class. 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

My understanding is that Herman is aware and has been talking more to Collins lately

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Collins is a take every day of the week. Don't post here if you're going to going to litter the board with this shit.

I said in the quote you quoted that I didn't think this was the case. Only a highly unlikely possibility given the nature of this class.

Edited by TexasRenegade
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 4

2 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

I said in the quote you quoted that I didn't think this was the case. Only a highly unlikely possibility given the nature of this class.

Don't post here if you don't have basic reading comprehension.

And you're wrong 

1 minute ago, TexasRenegade said:

Sure, in the same manner that Chad Lindberg or Mookie Cooper are not "full-on takes". The "nature of this class" is defined by the presence of Collins, who's a top-100 talent and might end up a borderline 5* when it's all said and done. We're frankly fortunate that a guy like this popped up in our backyard with heavy Texas ties.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Sure, in the same manner that Chad Lindberg or Mookie Cooper are not "full-on takes". The "nature of this class" is defined by the presence of Collins, who's a top-100 talent and might end up a borderline 5* when it's all said and done. We're frankly fortunate that a guy like this popped up in our backyard with heavy Texas ties.

You and I have no disagreement on that.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 3

21 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

5 minutes ago, TexasRenegade said:

You coming on here, telling is how un-knowledgeable you are and then saying stupid shit like this is on you. You’re flat out wrong. There is 0 possibility Collins isn’t a take. Collins is a fucking take for every school in the country.

youre literallly proving our point about Giles but you don’t realize it. Giles is such a shitty recruiter that it leads people to wonder if a no doubt-top 100 DE who fits our system perfectly and is a UT legacy is even a take. The trademark of a Giles recruitment is people looking at his recruiting efforts or lack thereof, and wondering if UT even what’s his commitment. 

Guess what, that recruit wonders the same thing and then the door opens for other programs. 

Honestly, a good recruiter would already have Collins, Princely, and Dorbah locked up right now. Collins is a legacy who lives 30 minutes from here. Princely loves 30 minutes from here and visits campus as often as he can and for both he and Dorbah, our main competition is OU who literally doesn’t have a pulse regarding defensive recruiting right now.

LSU just offered Princely and he called it his dream school. I’m not saying we’ll lose him, but the door should’ve already been slammed closed on his recruitment. Instead, Giles has left it open.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 5

45 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Interesting. I'll take this guy and any guy as our department expands if they're worth a shit. Hope he isn't a direct replacement for Naivar if Orlando moves on, however, and Naiver up. His recruiting seemed kinda sketch for miami. Pulling low 4 and 3 stars out of Miami area seems sort of like the default, right? I'll defer to others with more knowledge on this guy as a coach, however. I don't know anything about him other than what I gleaned looking at his 247 page.

Circling back to this, apparently Paul Williams was a trash fire as a recruiter at Houston and UM, nothing special as a coach, and was associated with fellow trash fire former DC Mark D'Onofrio (also at UH and UM). But hey, if Saban saw something positive in Mike Stoops, I'm sure we can get something out of this guy.

• Like 1

Just now, Machinator said:

Circling back to this, apparently Paul Williams was a trash fire as a recruiter at Houston and UM, nothing special as a coach, and was associated with fellow trash fire former DC Mark D'Onofrio (also at UH and UM). But hey, if Saban saw something positive in Mike Stoops, I'm sure we can get something out of this guy.

We can lock him in the film room and if he says something one of the better coaches finds interesting and actually does something tangible with, then he's justified for what he was hired for.

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

We can lock him in the film room and if he says something one of the better coaches finds interesting and actually does something tangible with, then he's justified for what he was hired for.

Yeah, I see no downside in it as long as he's not being groomed to replace one of Naivar or Washington when the time comes.

• Like 1

It seems to me if you want a specific guy in the class early, it is on more than the position or area recruiter to make it happen. If we wanted Collins in the class now then Herman, Orlando, Washington, Naivar, and Carrington should have also been in this kid's face 24-7. If the plan was really to leave it entirely to Giles, that would suggest he is indeed not an immediate priority or Herman is blind or perhaps a bit dumb.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, TexasFan21 said:

Someone tweet Giles and tell him to quit fucking off. That should solve all the problems../s

We have no rules about not tweeting coaches. 

Although I doubt Giles knows his twitter login.

I think @txsbigeasy needs to make him a super hero edit.

Rivals has an article where three regional/national guys pick where the top west coast targets who attended the LA camp end up

LB Jordan Banks- Bama, Bama, Washington
WR Gary Bryant- USC, USC, USC
LB Justin Flowe- Texas, Texas, Bama
WR John Humphreys- Notre Dame, Notre Dame, Stanford
RB Kendall Milton- LSU, Ohio State, LSU
DB Clark Phillips- A&M, A&M, Oregon
CB Kelee Ringo- Texas, Georgia, Ohio State
RB Bijan Robinson- UCLA, OU, Ohio State
LB Noah Sewell- Oregon, Oregon, Oregon
TE Darnell Washington- Alabama, Alabama, Georgia

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Rivals has an article where three regional/national guys pick where the top west coast targets who attended the LA camp end up

Good lord Helton might be worse than Strong. 

• Like 1

Just now, maninblack said:

California is fucking stacked this year. Clark Phillips being picked for aggy makes me laugh.

It doesn't make me laugh at all. That's 2 experts, and I was surprised they made his top 12 or 13 or whatever he released. Granted, it could all change if/when he visits us, but I'm curious how they got that much buzz for this kid. He's a fucking stud, we want him, and I find this perplexing. 

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

It doesn't make me laugh at all. That's 2 experts, and I was surprised they made his top 12 or 13 or whatever he released. Granted, it could all change if/when he visits us, but I'm curious how they got that much buzz for this kid. He's a fucking stud, we want him, and I find this perplexing. 

Generally speaking if a kid is willing to move from Cali to Texas then aggy isn't going to be a fit provided everything is on the level. If things aren't on the level then I'd expect Oregon to win that battle atm.

6 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Good lord Helton might be worse than Strong. 

His recruiting has already bottomed out worse than Strong's ever did. If he doesn't turn it around this season you can drop the "might". And its perfect timing for us, we're in the perfect position to capitalize right now.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, maninblack said:

California is fucking stacked this year. Clark Phillips being picked for aggy makes me laugh.

The blurb makes it sound like they have no idea, but had to throw a name out

On Feb. 4, Phillips released his top 12 and since that time, the four-star cornerback has landed offers from Clemson, Michigan and Georgia. At the camp, Phillips laughed that he might add some more schools to his list when usually the next step would be narrow it down even more. It’s still early for the four-star cornerback and having a dozen programs still on the list is considerable, but there are definitely some that stand out. If he takes visits to those new schools that have offered, there’s no telling where his recruitment could go but some do look best at this point.

10 minutes ago, Fud said:

A lot of these guys will be on campus at some point this spring. Would love to see this updated some time this summer.

8 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Seems like this kid likes about 20 schools

Wonder if he has some Chris Steele to him, and will lead a bunch of schools and reporters around by the nose all spring and summer?

1 hour ago, SydneyCarton said:

Well you're right. There's more out there. Like I said, kids LIKE Giles. They just don't hear from him. As Fud posted a few posts up, he is quoted directly in an article from The Other 98 saying he hasn't seen Giles in 2 months. It's literally in the paragraph DIRECTLY PRECEDING what you quoted dude:
Collins was a bit more forthcoming in detailing his relationship with Texas defensive line coach Oscar Giles. The two last saw each other earlier this year at a Longhorns recruiting event, but Collins was not able to attend Texas’ most recent one preceding his appearance in Sunday’s Under Armour All-American Football camp. 

At the end of the day, Giles recruiting is a known quantity to the people who follow this religiously. I'm not going to waste my time chronicling 3 years of watching Giles recruit with this current regime and, what, 10 years under Brown? His antics and sloth are a consistent pattern at this point. 

Correct me if wrong but Giles can't make face contact until June 1 without it being at an event or OV?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m a little unsettled by the Robinson prediction to OU. We actually have to play them, and that would give them two 5* RBs to go with their receiving haul from 2019. 

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I’m a little unsettled by the Robinson prediction to OU. We actually have to play them, and that would give them two 5* RBs to go with their receiving haul from 2019. 

You need to make peace with the fact that OU will land studs on offense as long as Riley is there.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

I'm wondering if McClellan will look around even more if they add Milton, Robinson, or McGowan? 

I’m really impressed by Herman, he really meant it when he said he was going to align the program. We got one of the best ADs in the country. We have one of the best strength coaches in the country. Our media apartment is the best I’ve seen for any sports organization, the quality of our graphics is insane. Herman saw what BC brought to the table and let him loose, there’s no one else like him out there. Back to back top 5 recruiting classes. Really high quality coaching staff. You can literally see the momentum building in front of you, even if Tom doesn’t believe in it. I know the “Texas is back” thing has become a meme, but it doesn’t take a genius to see what’s brewing in Austin. Tom is prepping a well oiled machine. Also Kate has no ass, stop posting her for the olds. Mother fuckers born after 1989 like women who arent built like a blunt. 
Olds? Look like a blunt?

Fuck you you clueless incel whipper snapper.

We likes em all.

Like RW says When ya seen one nekkid ya want to see all of em nekkid.

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

You need to make peace with the fact that OU will land studs on offense as long as Riley is there.

I can accept it. I don’t have to like it. Two 5* RBs would suck. A lot of focus is on DBs predicted to go to aggy. My point is just that we don’t play aggy; we play OU, and no one seemed to notice their being predicted to get a second 5* back. 

• Like 1