Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

On the WR discussion I can see a scenario where we'd only take 2 if it was Mookie and JWilson provided the "shoot the moon" strategy starts to fall into place and we take down some big names at other positions. Competition at WR is going to be fierce.

Edited by maninblack

46 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Reading that we’re fighting Washington, USC, and UCLA for 5 star Johnny Wilson is fucking hilarious compared to the schools we’d be fighting for a similar player in the southeast, or even in Texas. We need to continue to get a foothold out west because it’s the much, much easier direction to go for OOS talent. Not to mention, those recruitments tend to be way cleaner.

It helps that Tosh is gone from Bama, as he always had Bama in the top group for the west coast elites. Also, I've noticed that Clemson and Georgia are trying to get in on a lot of these kids, although the flight to Austin is much more attractive for these kids than a flight to the east coast. 

21 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Latham, Washington, and Alford going to be a deal with whichever the first 2 jump on board get the spots?  Thompson has a spot no matter what IMO.

That sounds right although I've read we're looking at taking 6 DBs in this class so either a third CB or S in addition to Alford.  Maybe:

2-3 CBs out of: Ringo, Eaton, Watts

2-3 Safeties out of: Thompson, Washington, Ransom

Safety/Nickel: Alford

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

It helps that Tosh is gone from Bama, as he always had Bama in the top group for the west coast elites. Also, I've noticed that Clemson and Georgia are trying to get in on a lot of these kids, although the flight to Austin is much more attractive for these kids than a flight to the east coast. 

Not just distance but also culture. As someone who grew up on the west coast, getting me to go to the southeast would’ve been a much, much tougher sell than Austin. The west and southeast are about as different culturally as you can get in the continental US.

I'm enjoying the "Is Evans a generational talent or not" debate, but I do think it needs a little context.

The production value is pretty bad, but... this is what a generational player's high school tape looks like:

Debate may now continue. My own position is "Why the hell are you asking me? I'm an expert gardener, not football coach."

Shoulder pads were monstrous back in the day. Ha.

37 minutes ago, Fud said:

Such a huge victory for college football

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I think Cooper, the dude out of Temple, and Wilson are all top targets and, of course, Cooper committed already. They are going to look far and wide for a burner. 

We also need more 6'6'' pogo sticks. Johnny Wilson is obvious, but these jump ball guys are becoming the new elite burners in some respects.

4 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested to see if Texas continues to pursue Omeire. New shit can come to light in recruiting. If you don't have one elite trait, you kind of need to be really, really good in all of the traits. Omeire has not tested well this month and he doesn't do anything truly elite if he's also going to be slow. We'll see, I guess. 

I think Cooper, the dude out of Temple, and Wilson are all top targets and, of course, Cooper committed already. They are going to look far and wide for a burner. 

Do you think the staff would project Mims to closely too Cooper?

Edited by maninblack

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Clemson leads for that Ukilele kid, the #1 overall prospect. Would be crazy if they got him and Evans.

3 hours ago, Longhorn94 said:

FWIW, Zach Evans is the best HS running back I have watched play against Lake Travis. Better than Gray or Brown by a mile. LT tried to play NS straight up and Evans ran over, around and through a very disciplined defense. He isnt the biggest or fastest or the most physical, but is excellent at every single thing asked of a running back. He has great instincts, runs hard, and is a terrific football player.

I’m in the camp that Evans is a level above even Milton or McClellan. I bet Herman was glad that Milton’s dad was unable to come along on next visit. Gives them reason to continue to play it slow while they go through the process with Evans. 

6 hours ago, bEastTexas said:

Sam Spieglman, Louisiana and Texas writer for Rivals, said he put in several futurecast picks for Texas 2020 and 2021 targets after this weekends camps. Anybody have the list?

He has about a 90% accuracy rate on his picks.  Also has in picks for Umanmielen and Lindberg to Texas.  Has a 2021 pick in for Donovan Jackson to Texas.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Not just distance but also culture. As someone who grew up on the west coast, getting me to go to the southeast would’ve been a much, much tougher sell than Austin. The west and southeast are about as different culturally as you can get in the continental US.

Yup. We should be dominating the Southwest. We're the closest "big football" school that's playing well. USC might count but they're horrible now and their game environment isn't comparable. We're also the closest cultural fit for kids from the Southwest. I think we're just starting to tap into the whole region effectively.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Enchubben said:

Add Johnny Wilson, Ringo, Lindberg and Evans to our class and we’d be ranked 3rd in the nation behind LSU and Alabama with two less recruits and a composite average around 96.3. 

Thats a lot of assumptions and big time recruitments but none of those individually are huge reaches. 

If we have the season we're capable of this could be an all time type of class.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Xminus6 said:

Yup. We should be dominating the Southwest. We're the closest "big football" school that's playing well. USC might count but they're horrible now and their game environment isn't comparable. We're also the closest cultural fit for kids from the Southwest. I think we're just starting to tap into the whole region effectively.

It's going to be us and Oregon coming in strong - UO has Cristobal and a sneaky excellent gameday vibe on top of whatever booster bucks they're throwing around.

35 minutes ago, texifornia said:

It's going to be us and Oregon coming in strong - UO has Cristobal and a sneaky excellent gameday vibe on top of whatever booster bucks they're throwing around.

True, Oregon has been cleaning up in the absence of USC, UCLA, and Cal.

38 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Don't forget the Nike uniform du jour in a fully gamut of eye searing colors and seizure inducing fonts.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Is Latham, Washington, and Alford going to be a deal with whichever the first 2 jump on board get the spots?  Thompson has a spot no matter what IMO.

If somehow Latham doesn't go to OSU and decides to come to Texas, I think they'd take all 3 of Washington, Latham and Thompson. I do think that would make taking Alford problematic in a general numbers sense, given that they're going to take at least 2 CBs and probably 3. 

seems like it's Notre Dame and Ohio State leading the pack for Ransom right now (siap)

Tom Loy: Notre Dame Recruiting Scoop

— In talking with sources connected with Notre Dame, Ohio State and the prospect himself, the feeling is that these two programs made an incredible impression on four-star safety Lathan Ransom. He visited Notre Dame on Saturday and then Ohio State on Sunday, two trips he was looking forward to for a long time. My gut feeling is that the Fighting Irish have a slight lead at this point, but he’s not ready to make a decision any time soon. Look for him to take a few more unofficial visits and then narrow things down to a final five. He’ll take official visits after that. Notre Dame and Ohio State should get a second visit. Both schools seem to think his final decision will come down to these two schools. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, but it’s hard not to like safeties coach Terry Joseph in this one after what he’s done so far. That said, Ohio State’s Jeff Hafley and Tony Alford will do everything they can to get him on board with the Buckeyes. If looking for a potential dark horse here, one that could create a problem for the other two schools, keep an eye on Texas.

Edited by satyanash