Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Heath Gallagher: Keeping track of notable 247Sports Crystal Ball picks

The start of a new recruiting season is well underway. College coaches will tell you they were focused on the class of 2020 well before National Signing Day for '19 came and went, but the last few weeks have seen fans and media turn its full attention to the next crop of college stars (PSA: 247Sports will release its updated Top247 on Feb. 27). There are regional all-star circuits each weekend from now for the next few months, giving 247Sports' recruiting analysts an up-close-and-personal look at the nation's most talented players. Recruiting scoop has followed. Below, we're running down recent notable Crystal Ball picks by 247Sports experts. For all updates, click here.

Clemson: 5-star QB DJ Uiagalelei

Another Clemson pick is in for 5-star QB DJ Uiagalelei, this one courtesy of 247Sports Director of Scouting Barton Simmons, who made a pick for the Tigers on Monday afternoon. Dabo Swinney's program is the perceived favorite for the Bellflower (Calif.) St. John Bosco quarterback. Clemson has 61 percent of the Crystal Ball picks.

Foggy: 5-star RB Zachary Evans

Texas A&M recruiting analyst Brian Perroni had originally had a pick for the Aggies for five-star running back Zachary Evans, the No. 1 player in the 247Sports Composite. Perroni made the pick after the Clemson game in Week 2, an impressive showing for the Aggies in College Station. Perroni moved that pick to ‘foggy’ this weekend; the Texas Longhorns have 43 percent of the Crystal Ball picks, but there’s a ways to go for the Houston (Texas) North Shore superstar.

LSU: 4-star QB Haynes King

The first Crystal Ball pick for 2020 quarterback Haynes King — a state champion quarterback at Longview (Texas) High — is in. The LSU Tigers were the pick by Mike Roach, who covers the state of Texas and the Texas Longhorns for the Horns247 site (Roach’s CB percentage this class is 78). The 6-foot-3 King, the No. 8 dual-threat QB per 247Sports, is likely to start receiving more attention. He currently reports other offers from Arkansas, Auburn, Baylor and others.

Texas: 4-star S Xavion Alford

The current Crystal Ball read for four-star safety Xavion Alford is two for Texas and one ‘undecided,’ after Mike Roach, who covers the Longhorns for Horns247, made a pick for Tom Herman’s squad this weekend. Roach is hitting 78 percent of his picks this cycle. Alford plays at Pearland (Texas) Shadow Creek.

Oklahoma: Flip 4-star OL Akinola Ogunbiya

It looks like the Sooners are going to poach away Texas A&M’s pledge Akinola Ogunbiyi. Sooners insider Brandon Drumm (80 percent this cycle) made an Oklahoma pick over the weekend for the 4-star offensive guard a trail of flip picks followed. The Sugar Land (Texas) Kempner product, a Top247 prospect, committed to Texas A&m last June.

Texas A&M: 4-star ATH Joel Williams

Joel Williams’ 247Sports Crystal Ball saw a run of Texas A&M picks Sunday night, started by Mike Roach (81 percent). Gabe Brooks, the lead recruiting expert on Williams, also likes the Aggies over the LSU Tigers for the four-star Baton Rouge (Louisiana) Madison Prep Academy cornerback, who ranks as the No. 183 player in the 247Sports Composite.

LSU: 4-star S Jerrin Thompson

Gabe Brooks (7-for-7 this cycle) made the first Crystal Ball pick for four-star Lufkin (Texas) safety Jerrin Thompson, who wouldn’t have to travel far from East Texas to LSU. Thompson is the No. 292 player in the 247Sports Composite.

4 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

I don’t know about it being common, but I remember Sam Acho being in the business school when he won an academic award for student athletes.

True, I am also certain that Manny Acho majored at the Plonsky school of Cunts and Bitches.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, HtownHorn said:

White/Scott is the ROV

Flowe is the MAC

Dobrah is the B

Flowe is a Rover all the way.  I could see Scott ending up at Mac, but overall I think this is Orlando’s strategy of recruit a bunch of Rovers and the guys who lose or end up too slow move to Mac.

Edited by Burt Macklin

6 hours ago, ShowmeyourTDs said:

I don’t know about it being common, but I remember Sam Acho being in the business school when he won an academic award for student athletes.

4 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

I taught a major class at McCombs for several years.  The only athlete I ever had in a class was Kalen Thornton.  It cracked me up to see Mo Bamba saying he picked Texas because of McCombs. 

2 hours ago, Vertigo said:

True, I am also certain that Manny Acho majored at the Plonsky school of Cunts and Bitches.

All three of these guys went to St. Mark's in Dallas, so they definitely went to college to play school.

Kalen picked up his MBA from Stanford (I believe) after retiring from the NFL and worked with NIKE the last I heard.

Sam picked up his MBA from Thunderbird in Phoenix and according to the Wiki, Manny was a Sports Management major in college and "On February 20, 2015, Emmanuel took time off from his graduate studies at the University of Texas and flew to Purcellville, VA..." (from Wiki), so Manny's getting a masters in something. (Probably already has it by now.)

Not only three very smart guys, but all came to college with an understanding of what it took to excel in a competitive academic environment.

• Like 1

Kalen was extremely self-conscious about being an athlete in McCombs.  He was literally worried that there were people in the class who assumed he was a dumb jock and that the standards were lowered to get him in.  I felt bad for him and told him a couple of times to quit worrying about shit like that.  

• Like 3

20 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

Kalen was extremely self-conscious about being an athlete in McCombs.  He was literally worried that there were people in the class who assumed he was a dumb jock and that the standards were lowered to get him in.  I felt bad for him and told him a couple of times to quit worrying about shit like that.  

I'm not surprised to hear that considering he went to the top private school in the state.

1 hour ago, Irieguy said:

I almost hope all of their players get huge bumps so I can watch their heads explode from cognitive dissonance. 

1 hour ago, Scholz said:

Wouldn’t faze those waterheads in the least. Wouldn’t even register.

1 hour ago, sushihorn said:

Yep.  They'd celebrate without the least hint of irony or even self-awareness.

Fellow ags, our letter writing and sub canceling has worked!  They are finally listening, and look at how different things are for us when the sips can’t manipulate the rankings?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, QuakerHorns said:

/No @Doc Sam Beckett, but talk about a bubble butt! If I've learned one thing from watching too much draft coverage, it's that you look for that kind of build in your defensive line prospects

That build is good in almost any sport that requires bursts of speed/power.

DL, RB, Safety, LB, OL...

Baseball: Base Stealers

Basketball: Low Post Players

Soccer: Anywhere, but especially strikers (Sergio Agüero is about 5'4", but he looks like he was built with parts from two different designs.)

Ice Hockey: I'd assume it's better to have a low center of gravity for quick change of direction, and a caboose to quick bursts of speed.

Speed Skating: Especially short track & short distances on the large track.

Tennis: Rafa Nadal & Serena Williams say "Hola", though Novak & Venus say "It's not vital."

Rugby: The positions that are like RBs/Defenders that play on the edge for the most part.

4 hours ago, Napoleon said:

Soccer: Anywhere, but especially strikers (Sergio Agüero is about 5'4", but he looks like he was built with parts from two different designs.)

Ice Hockey: I'd assume it's better to have a low center of gravity for quick change of direction, and a caboose to quick bursts of speed.

Tennis: Rafa Nadal & Serena Williams say "Hola", though Novak & Venus say "It's not vital."

Rugby: The positions that are like RBs/Defenders that play on the edge for the most part.

Can't speak to the others but speed skating is very much the opposite.  Short track is dominated by Asians.  Low center of gravity is correct but it's achieved through short, thick legs rather than a fat ass.

5 hours ago, Napoleon said:

I would think it’s more beneficial to bobsledders than speed skaters

12 hours ago, Napoleon said:

All three of these guys went to St. Mark's in Dallas, so they definitely went to college to play school.

Kalen picked up his MBA from Stanford (I believe) after retiring from the NFL and worked with NIKE the last I heard.

Sam picked up his MBA from Thunderbird in Phoenix and according to the Wiki, Manny was a Sports Management major in college and "On February 20, 2015, Emmanuel took time off from his graduate studies at the University of Texas and flew to Purcellville, VA..." (from Wiki), so Manny's getting a masters in something. (Probably already has it by now.)

Not only three very smart guys, but all came to college with an understanding of what it took to excel in a competitive academic environment.

Manny was in the Kinesiology program for undergrad and graduate.

13 hours ago, Beau Vine said:

Hodges Mitchell threw an F bomb out during his presentation in Management 335/336 cannot remember the exact number . It was fucking glorious. 

Edited by Newy25

28 minutes ago, Dondrysdale1 said:

https://www.quora.com/What-is-a-good-200-meter-sprint-time

I know zilch about track times so I googled the above question. If this is right it looks like a good time.

That story about Akmal, a foreign exchange student from Kyrgyzstan who ran a PR 14.1, is very inspiring.

12 minutes ago, Machinator said:

I’m confused. In the rankings it says athlete, but in his profile it says dual which I presume means dual threat qb?

14 nationally is pretty high for a guy who is going to be playing fullback/H back at ou.  And it’s not like his position is a question. 

And he committed November 2017?

Edited by Pato del Muerto