Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

8 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

In our initial years together, I often suggested to my wife that bringing another woman into the relationship would preserve her body, keep her rested, able to focus on our kids, etc. Selfishly, she never would listen to reason. Now, after more than a quarter of a century together, she's starting to get worn down. I'm a regular Nostradamus.

Siunds like it’s time to draft a replacement. Just stay out of the free agent market, Robert Kraft proved it doesn’t work long term.

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

I’m friends with a guy who played with him at UT and he said the same. Huff is loaded and enjoys walking out to his garage and deciding which of his 6 figure rides he wants to take to work that day. Dude has more money than he needs and just enjoys being around the program but doesn’t have further coaching aspirations right now. I think he’d have to decide he’s dying to be a HC and would just grin and bear the position coach duties to get there, but he’s way too happy with his life to fly all over the country and pander to 17 year olds he’s still better than just because a DB coach door opens up.

its more about his kids right now than anything else. 

Edited by Longhorn94
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

In our initial years together, I often suggested to my wife that bringing another woman into the relationship would preserve her body, keep her rested, able to focus on our kids, etc. Selfishly, she never would listen to reason. Now, after more than a quarter of a century together, she's starting to get worn down. I'm a regular Nostradamus.

Funny shit right there.  Funny shit!!

1 hour ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

giphy.gif

• Like 2

5 hours ago, NTVTXN said:

In my trying to keep up, (albeit very casually) with the whole recruiting thing.

You say it now, and you probably believe it, too. 

Casual.  Oh casual, how I admire the youthful sound of it!  And to think I, too, was once of those carefree young school boys, casually checking in from time to time.  Oh lookie there, another big class of tight ends.  How many is that now?  8, 9?  Mack's got his eye on the tight ends, no doubt about it. 

But little do you realize, you've already been afflicted.  The recruiting thread has casually made its way into your brain and guts.  It's there, feasting.  You are completely fucked. 

Problems?  What problem?  Yes, sure, I did travel 75 miles to attend the Aledo playoff by myself to see this running back I've heard so much about.  Brown and Gray.  Thunder and Lightning, my god we'll be unstoppable!  Woke up sweating, a nightmare where Jordan pulled his commitment and chose Ohio State.  I keep notes on all the players I've scouted this season in my notebook.  Want to see?  Clint Hurtt.  He's a goddamn rainmaker!  Show cause my ass - Texas should fight it!  Still on the computer at this time of night... watching a periscope of two linebackers on an official visit at another school.  What's that?  I need a drink.  What?  Walk-on?  Walk-on!  I said PREFERRED walk-on, you shit smear.  It's a completely different category! 

• Like 8
  • Haha 1

3 hours ago, Spawn of Cthulhu said:

I think a cute grad student just might be the right way to go.  Good luck.

Kinda what candi told jimbo but in reverse :)

25 minutes ago, Leanderman said:

Kinda what candi told jimbo but in reverse :)

No, I think Candi just realized Jimbo was a small dick, asshole and decided to live high off his money and get real men on the side. She was a little too obvious and Jimbo was forced to pull the plug and move to College Station.

Not this shit again, but... I was curious, so I checked.  I'm 6' and have a hand length of exactly 8".  That height puts me right at the 80th percentile for height for men. 80th percentile for hand length would be 7.94", and 85th percentile is 8.02", so I'm somewhere in-between there, but the percentiles are awfully close for both, which makes sense, because I'm roughly "to scale" across the board. Everything about my physique is 80th percentile. And I'm nowhere near capable of being an NFL QB, just by dimensions, let alone by talent.

Card is 6'2", which is 94.2 percentile for height. If his hand length is anywhere close to proportional, it should be somewhere right around 8.2" to 8.3". Midget Kyler Murray has fully an inch advantage over that, which puts him right around the middle of the pack for NFL QBs. Even Brandon Allen, holder of the prestigious tiniest hands for a QB at a combine award, is a full half inch longer than what Card's presumptive hand length would be... unless his hands are in a higher percentile than the rest of him.

Typical NFL QBs are supposed to be 9 1/8ths. The 99th percentile starts at 8.62. You do the math. Elite QBs are freaks of nature. Hell, even most bad QBs are freaks of nature.

Here's hoping (since we're going all in on him) that Card is actually a freak of nature.

4 hours ago, Ben Ficus said:

You say it now, and you probably believe it, too. 

Casual.  Oh casual, how I admire the youthful sound of it!  And to think I, too, was once of those carefree young school boys, casually checking in from time to time.  Oh lookie there, another big class of tight ends.  How many is that now?  8, 9?  Mack's got his eye on the tight ends, no doubt about it. 

But little do you realize, you've already been afflicted.  The recruiting thread has casually made its way into your brain and guts.  It's there, feasting.  You are completely fucked. 

Problems?  What problem?  Yes, sure, I did travel 75 miles to attend the Aledo playoff by myself to see this running back I've heard so much about.  Brown and Gray.  Thunder and Lightning, my god we'll be unstoppable!  Woke up sweating, a nightmare where Jordan pulled his commitment and chose Ohio State.  I keep notes on all the players I've scouted this season in my notebook.  Want to see?  Clint Hurtt.  He's a goddamn rainmaker!  Show cause my ass - Texas should fight it!  Still on the computer at this time of night... watching a periscope of two linebackers on an official visit at another school.  What's that?  I need a drink.  What?  Walk-on?  Walk-on!  I said PREFERRED walk-on, you shit smear.  It's a completely different category! 

This was outstanding work. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Fine, fine. From EJ in a Kroger parking lot

- EJ's numbers are low b/c of his marriage + honeymoon, so he's had to pump out a lot more articles lately. Apparently he's buying groceries to cook vegan chili tonight. EJ's wife has him on a diet even though he's 175 lbs.

- Buy/Sell: Texas lands 2 of Ringo, Flowe, Milton, and Smalls. EJ would pass on that bet, 2 of them is tough but realistic. Ringo has been to Texas twice and is the best bet w Westbrook as his current coach and Beck as his school's former coach. Him and Milton will both be back for official visits, probably. Others are longer shots because they haven't visited. They probably won't be a package deal.

- Texas will continue to recruit at a national level. Lathan Ransom is another potential visitor, as is Damien Sellers. Johnny Wilson said he never considered going OOS until Texas came calling.

- EJ's not sure why A&M backed off of CTJ. He had a terrific junior season and Fisher visited his high school a lot, but then contact dropped off and Texas is in the best spot to land him.

- Most under-rated prospect so far is Joshua Eaton, outside the Texas top 50. Lot of P5 offers w/ A&M adding their name tonight. Another underrated kid is Jerrin Thompson from Lufkin, great as a nickel prospect. Thinks Texas should take a harder look at him.

- Eaton and Watts are very similar players. Watts is a bit thicker, Eaton is more athletic. Both very raw in their technique. Would put them in the same rankings range.

- Demond Demas apparently joined the Periscope, along with Tommy Brockermeyer who had a dominant day in Dallas.

- Majors will be a very good center. EJ is OK with his drop in the rankings, he's very intelligent and a potential multi-year starter but won't wow you with his athletic traits or upside.

- Charles Wright from Austin High is a kid Roach likes. Could be a guy that rises.

- EJ now getting grief for the Noah Cain saga.

- Regarding receivers, Texas is in a great spot with Johnny Wilson. Troy Omeire and Demas are the two elite in-state WRs, and Texas is in a tough dogfight with A&M for both with Demas already an A&M commit. Troy is visiting Texas on March 9th and it'll be huge in his recruitment. UT is in a good position with Quinten Johnston (recently got a rankings bump) and JJ Hester out of Oklahoma.

- Something about BBQ, and Whataburger vs. In-n-Out.

- EJ would take Johnny Wilson over Demond Demas. Demas is a better athlete with a higher ceiling. Wilson is a more polished prospect and is gigantic. What stands out for Johnny is his route-running. Doesn't struggle to get in and out of breaks like Brennan Eagles did, he glides through his routes. Can't go wrong with either.

- EJ is close to putting in Texas CBs for Johnny Wilson but he wants to wait and see with him. Washington and Oregon are the two biggest threats. Could legitimately run a 4.5.

- EJ still thinks JaQuinden Jackson should be a five-star. Next Cam Newton, etc. etc. Not expecting an early commitment. Texas should tell him he can play any position "because he's awesome".

- O-line needs for the 2020 class have been addressed, in a good spot with D-line as well. Need corners.

- Princely Umanmielen joined the Periscope, asked EJ if he's into fashion. EJ reeled off some brand names.

- Texas wants to bring in Damien Sellers for a visit. EJ doesn't pay to go for tournaments, his expenses are covered as a 247Sports reporter for the most part.

- Darnell Washington is a real-deal, five-star stud. Was awesome this weekend.

- @OnAComputerrecommended that EJ visit P. Terry's Burger Stand. EJ absolutely hated it, said it was a 'trash burger'. More BBQ talk.

- EJ really likes Josh White. Another down year for LBs in-state but White's a brought spot along with Brennon Scott. Similar to David Gbenda.

- EJ's wife still disagrees with him over his hairstyle. EJ would never move to Austin, says he's 'team Dallas'.

- Jase McClellan will be tough to flip from blOU. Texas should have offered him earlier, they may have secured his commitment first.

- Texas will take two safeties and a nickel. This is not as good of a DB class in-state as 2018 but it could be comparable. Lorando Johnson, RJ Mickens, CTJ, and Dwight McGlothern are EJ's favourite DBs.

God's work. And of course EJ likes all the maxed-out camp stars/character concerns at DB along with CTJ.

• Like 3

Better to do lower weight and get the full snatch than move your hips like that before the snatch motion and press the last few inches. Also he is way too far out front on his pull.

I hate that high schools are encouraging kids to do these oly lifts and letting them meathead out at high weights rather than using them for explosive training.

On the plus side he does have a nice hip drop, all things considered.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Gardner Barnes said:

Better to do lower weight than move your hips like that before the snatch motion. Also he is way too far out front on his pull.

I hate that high schools are encouraging kids to do these oly lifts.

On the plus side he does have a nice hip drop all things considered.

Something... something... your mom's snatch motion.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

I've seen it mentioned a few times on 247 recently that this guys will be visiting sometime soon.  Probably a longshot being a Louisiana kid.

https://247sports.com/Player/Jacobian-Guillory-46051634/

DTs with powerlifting backgrounds are solid. They understand leverage and can really push the middle of the pocket.