Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

2 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Care to share 3 or 4 players whose new rankings you disagreed with the most Ctj??

Broughton, Umanmielen, and Collins up front are all too low for my liking, and laughably so. 

Card is too high by 30 spots.

Ty Jordan is tiny, but he's a top 50 guy to me.

The Ohio State guy is too high. Come on. He's a top 50 guy in-state.

The Hornsby charade is fun to watch. He's got handlers and a fucking nut of a mother, and he's going to wind up barely hanging around 4 star territory when it is all said and done.

Seth McGowan is way too low.

I think Chris Thompson is a top 10 in-state player, and 247 thinks Jerrin Thompson is better. 

There are apparently 159 better players in Texas than Corey Flagg because he's 2 inches shorter than he needs to be.

If Robert Wooten winds up signing with a program commensurate with the number 79 in-state ranking, I will kiss your ass in public and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd.

Brendan Lewis is going backwards as a player and a recruit. He's heading towards Major Tennison-level shit and will not be a state top 100 without a change.

RJ Mickens is nothing but recruiting noise. He has a famous dad, so he's high on the chart.

Honestly, there looks like a pretty strong LSU bias presenting itself in the Texas rankings, for whatever reason. Bizarre. 

• Like 7

Great Stuff.... thx Ctj 🤘 

Funny part... " If Robert Wooten winds up signing with a program commensurate with the number 79 in-state ranking, I will kiss your ass in public and give you 30 minutes to draw a crowd."

Edited by LTtxfan

I still don't have a great feel for the DBs yet, but here's who I like by tier, ranked in order but fluid within the tier 

Broughton, Evans, Demas (easy 5*s)

Jackson, Collins (low 5*s)

Lindberg, McClellan (borderline 5*s)

Dorbah, Sanders, McGowan 

Omeire, Garth, Umanlyman, Mims, Thompson, Washington, Jones, Alford, Most Tyki of the Crawfords, Parr, Majors, Johnston, Smith-Ninja, Card, King, Achane

To make it a round number of thirty, add Hayes, K Crawford, Eaton, and Henderson at the end at the start of another tier

• Like 2

Updated Top247. Old rankings here: https://www.surlyhorns.com/board/index.php?/topic/100-texas-recruiting-notes-2020/&page=118&tab=comments#comment-1027560

1. Bryan Bresee

3. DJ Uiagalelei

4. Sav'ell Smalls

6. Justin Flowe

9. Elias Ricks (LSU commit)

10. Zach Evans

11. Kelee Ringo

14. Drew Sanders (OU commit)

16. Bryce Young (USC commit)

19. Demond Demas (A&M commit)

22. Kendall Milton

24. Clark Phillips III

26. Bijan Robinson

28. Jase McClellan (OU commit)

32. Johnny Wilson

38. Jaylen Garth (UT commit)

42. Ja'Quinden Jackson

43. Haynes King

50. Lathan Ransom

54. Tosh Baker

63. Jaylon Jones (A&M commit)

66. Jaxon Smith-Njigba (Ohio State commit)

69. Ty'kieast Crawford

78. Malik Hornsby

81. RJ Mickens

91. Hudson Card (UT commit)

96. Chad Lindberg

103. Prince Dorbah

107. Devon Achane

110. Garrett Hayes

117. Quentin Johnston

122. Mookie Cooper (UT commit)

126. Alfred Collins

127. Alec Bryant

128. Xavion Alford

131. Seth McGowan

133. Marvin Mims

137.  Vernon Broughton

140. Jahari Rogers

143. Jerrin Thompson

151. Jason Harris

153. Chris Thompson Jr.

154. Troy Omeire

182. Jalen Kimber

186. Josh White

187. Jake Majors

189. Dwight McGlothern

196. Logan Parr (UT commit)

199. Darion Green-Warren (OU commit)

209. Akinola Ogunbiyi (A&M commit)

226. James Sylvester

229. Major Burns (A&M commit)

Edited by Machinator

32 minutes ago, Fud said:

I still don't have a great feel for the DBs yet, but here's who I like by tier, ranked in order but fluid within the tier 

Broughton, Evans, Demas (easy 5*s)

Jackson, Collins (low 5*s)

Lindberg, McClellan (borderline 5*s)

Dorbah, Sanders, McGowan 

Omeire, Garth, Umanlyman, Mims, Thompson, Washington, Jones, Alford, Most Tyki of the Crawfords, Parr, Majors, Johnston, Smith-Ninja, Card, King, Achane

To make it a round number of thirty, add Hayes, K Crawford, Eaton, and Henderson at the end at the start of another tier

I'd bump Dorbah and Sanders and drop both Lindberg and McClellan. I'd also drop Omeire. I used to be higher on him but after seeing his camp performance and rewatching film I don't think his style will translate well. I'd also bump Thompson, Garth and Mims up. At this point maybe I should just write my own list and see what I come up with.

Charles Power (one of the national 247 guys) really liked Garth, which led to his ratings bump:

"The spring and senior season are big for evaluating offensive linemen, given the position's more gradual developmental nature. Much of this update is based off of the junior season. In Garth's case, he really impressed with his fluidity in his pass set and moving at the second level. He already has a smooth kickslide and gets nice depth in pass protection. He also has some nice strength and finishing ability for a prospect who is young for the class."

2 minutes ago, Bevo14 said:

Just saw 247's rankings. D-a-a-a-aa-a-a-amn Garth almost a 5 star. Looking forward to Longhornfrenzy's deliverance of aggy tears

I think they're pretty happy this time. This thread actually has upvotes.

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Board/20/Contents/247-Rankings-Update-129539504/

21 minutes ago, texifornia said:

Hahaha Evans spreading his predictions around to every school in the country is just perfect.

He really is a pro at not giving anything away when he speaks to the media. 

I see Jaylon Jones comes from the Hamm school of recruit predictions. Him even saying Texas is in the mix for Washington probably means Washington is a lock for us. 

20 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Man, what happened with CTJ? Dude fell over 100 spots

Down 100 in the 247 and despite that he's still up 46 in the composite. That feels vaguely familiar, doesn't it? We saw this several times last cycle - he was Fong'd to Aggy in September and didn't commit there and now is headed to Texas? The phrase you are looking for is Elko'd. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cdain3 said:

Holy shit Jaylon Jones is brainwashed.

For Washington

THE PICK: Texas

WHY: “I am picking Texas.” - Josh Eaton

So, uh do you think we can put Eaton in the calculator or do you think he knows where Washington is going and doesn't want to answer why?

Edited by TheFlyingBoat

Jeff Howe: Where Texas commits rank in updated Top247 for 2020

The latest Top247 update for the 2020 recruiting cycle has been released and the five-man class put together by Tom Herman and Texas has the early makings of another good haul. All five current verbal commitments are in the Top247 and all five are ranked among the top 200 prospects in the country, which shows Herman and Co. are off to a good start with what they’ve got.

As is the case with any rankings update this early in the cycle once junior season video is out and spring evaluation camps have started, there’s going to be a lot of movement. The Texas class is benefitting from some the movement with Port Neches-Groves offensive tackle Jaylen Garth climbing more than 150 spots to No. 38 overall, making him the No. 1 offensive lineman in the state and the No. 5 overall recruit in Texas.

Lake Travis quarterback Hudson Card made a move up 16 spots in the rankings and now finds himself inside the top 100 at No. 91 overall. Even though Card and Garth are the only current commitments who are ranked among the 100 best prospects in the country, where the other three future Longhorns are ranked shows that Texas has five quality prospects in the fold.

Jaylen Garth

Position: Offensive Tackle | School: Port Neches-Groves | Vitals: 6-5, 285

New Top247 Ranking: 38 | Old Top247 Ranking: 191

How He Helps Texas: Jaylen Garth represents a significant head-to-head win over Texas A&M for a prospect who, based on this update, has a chance to emerge as a five-star type talent by the end of the cycle. One cycle after landing as (presumably) safe of an offensive line prospect as the Longhorns have recruited in a long time in Tyler Johnson and two high-ceiling tackle bodies in Isaiah Hookfin and Javonne Shepherd, Texas should be able to hit on a couple of these prospects and emerge with some legitimate blue-chip talent along the offensive front given what’s being acquired between the 2019 and 2020 cycles.

247Sports on Garth: “The spring and senior season are big for evaluating offensive linemen, given the position's more gradual developmental nature. Much of this update is based off of the junior season. In Garth's case, he really impressed with his fluidity in his pass set and moving at the second level. He already has a smooth kickslide and gets nice depth in pass protection. He also has some nice strength and finishing ability for a prospect who is young for the class.” — Charles Power, National Analyst

Hudson Card

Position: Dual-Threat Quarterback | School: Lake Travis | Vitals: 6-2, 167

New Top247 Ranking: 91 | Old Top247 Ranking: 107

How He Helps Texas: Even though Longview’s Haynes King and Fort Bend Marshall’s Malik Hornsby are ranked ahead of Hudson Card in the latest update, Herman and Tim Beck have seen their faith in Card (who had one varsity start at quarterback under his belt when the Longhorns moved on him) rewarded. Card was ranked by the 247Sports staff as the top quarterback at the Under Armour Future 50 event in January and considering he’s averaging over 6.1 yards per carry in his career and was a 1,000-yard receiver as a sophomore, the current regime’s 2020 quarterback take is a tremendous athlete who has some ceiling left to reach behind center.

247Sports on Card: “Card had a very productive junior year at Lake Travis in his first year as a starter, as expected. The majority of our top quarterbacks were highly productive both through the air and on the ground and took their teams deep in the playoffs. Card impressed with his creativity, versatility in operating on and off script and ball location. More than anything, he just needs to keep progressing his overall game while continuing to add good weight.” — Charles Power, National Analyst

Mookie Cooper

Position: Athlete | School: St. Louis (Mo.) Trinity Catholic | Vitals: 5-11, 178

New Top247 Ranking: 122 | Old Top247 Ranking: 95

How He Helps Texas: Not only is Mookie Cooper an ideal fit to be in the slot in Herman’s pro-spread offense, he gives Texas another weapon in the same vein as Jake Smith and Jordan Whittington with the ability to create explosive plays from anywhere on the field. The ability to handle the ball coming out of the backfield and be a factor in the screen game is something the slot position in Herman’s offense can do and Cooper gives the Longhorns a player who (like Smith and Whittington) can help unlock and make available more facets of Herman’s attack.

Those who have seen Cooper in person extensively compare his stop/start ability to Kansas running back Pooka Williams Jr. and his ability to beat defenses with straight-line speed to Pro Bowl wide receiver Jeremy Maclin. 247Sports on Cooper: “Mookie is a multi-talented kid who can play tailback or catch the ball as a wideout. He ran 4.49 at Nike last year on a day where there seemed to be a slow track so he’s a true home-run hitter. This year, with Trinity graduating several playmakers, I expect him to have a huge season numbers wise.” — Allen Trieu, Midwest Analyst

Jake Majors

Position: Offensive Guard | School: Prosper | Vitals: 6-3, 290

New Top247 Ranking: 187 | Old Top247 Ranking: 156

How He Helps Texas: Jake Majors will bring versatility to Texas, which is something the Longhorns need and is something Herb Hand values up front. A prospect who could play tackle if he were really needed there, Majors has the ability to play center or guard. Derek Kerstetter is the best bet to take over for Zach Shackelford after the 2019 season, but with no center take in 2019 and Rafiti Ghirmai looking like the most likely candidate to learn the position among the 2018 signees, the Longhorns needed to land a good center candidate like Majors in this cycle.

247Sports on Majors: “Majors has the playing experience and lateral mobility of a tackle, while his build is more akin to that of a guard. But Majors' tape is not like your typical guard, as he consistently shows impressive foot quickness and close-quarters agility. He uses that nimbleness to get good angles on blocks and set up deftly in pass protection. Still, his power as a drive-blocker allows him to regularly win one-on-one matchups in the running game. Majors is very quick off the snap and consistently makes first contact on his target. His hand placement is good and he packs a punch at the point of attack. He is a problem for defenders as a puller; he drives downhill with a purpose and attacks around the edge and at the second level. His awareness is obvious in his ability to take proper angles and make textbook seal and kickout blocks when needed. That acuity would translate well to the center spot.” — Mike Roach, Horns247

Logan Parr

Position: Offensive Guard | School: San Antonio O’Connor | Vitals: 6-3.5, 280

New Top247 Ranking: 196 | Old Top247 Ranking: 79

How He Helps Texas: One cycle after not taking any true guards or sure-fire interior line types in 2019, the Longhorns snagged one in Logan Parr, their first of three offensive line commitments in the 2020 class. What good about Parr (like Majors) is he’s primarily a high school tackle who will kick inside to guard. Parr is another piece up front who has the ability to play multiple positions and he’s someone Hand targeted and pushed for early, so one has to like his chances to succeed under the current offensive line coach.

247Sports on Parr: “He’s quick off the ball and gets to the second level well to engage linebackers in the running game. Parr shows encouraging lateral mobility as a pass protector that would translate to wherever he plays on the line in college. He is projected to the interior as a guard and his demeanor as a block-finisher in the run game fits that role. He is not the biggest offensive lineman, but is young, and should have enough space on his frame to add quality bulk and strength in a college training program. He plays with a high motor and does not give up on plays.” — Mike Roach, Horns247