Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Mike Roach: Ten thoughts on what Top247 update means within state of Texas

Every new set of rankings brings on a new round of discussions centering around who’s overrated, who’s underrated, and conspiracy theories about program bias. As the 2020 class gets into full swing, the national analysts at 247Sports released an updated Top247. This adjustment to the rankings was made after watching junior film and seeing some of these prospects in camp settings early in the spring. Beauty is often in the eye of the evaluator, and different traits are valued depending on who is watching the film.

The state of Texas is always well-represented in the national rankings, and 2020 is no different. The state produced fourteen top 100 prospects in this update, and 36 prospects found themselves inside the Top247. Texas fans will be thrilled to see that the entire 2020 class ranked inside the Top 200 for the cycle, as Texas takes aim at a third straight top-three class. Of course, these rankings will change after further evaluation, and you can’t always make everyone happy. With that in mind, here are my 10 thoughts on the latest Top247 update.

1. Texas is building strong foundation

All five of the 2020 Texas commits are ranked in the Top247. Perhaps the most surprising development was Jaylen Garth leading the group as the highest-ranked prospect (No. 38 overall). The four-star Port Neches-Groves offensive lineman certainly has the ceiling to go that high, but I found it surprising the national analysts saw him that high. Both Garth and Lake Travis quarterback Hudson Card (No. 91) saw good jumps while the other three dropped. Still, San Antonio O'Connor offensive lineman Logan Parr checking in as the lowest ranked recruit at No. 197 indicates that expectations for this class are high.

2. Breaking down the top 10 in the Lone Star State

Overall, I like the way the top group fell. Denton Ryan's Drew Sanders (No. 14) is just too good of an athlete on either side of the ball, while wide receiver Demond Demas (No. 19) and running back Zach Evans (No. 10) show freakish ability. Longview's Haynes King (No. 43) did enough this year to work his way into the top quarterback spot, and I expect to see a huge battle between King and Card to come out on top by the end of the year. Ohio State wide receiver commit Jaxon Smith-Njigba (No. 66) of Rockwall cracking that group shows that, sometimes, production can trump measurables. Carthage offensive tackle Ty'Kieast Crawford has the ceiling to be an elite prospect by the end of the cycle.

3. A defensive back class full of hybrids

Versatility is becoming more common in the secondary, and this defensive back class embodies that. Jalen Kimber (No. 182) is one of the only true corners listed, but even he has the versatility to play nickel. Jaylon Jones (No. 63), Jerrin Thompson (No. 143), Xavion Alford (No. 128) and RJ Mickens (No. 81) fit a few different roles, while safety prospect Chris Thompson Jr. (No. 153) could fit in at a position like Texas has with the Joker, which are hybrid spots that are becoming more popular.

4. A down year at wide receiver

The state is usually overflowing with high-end pass catchers, but there aren’t a ton to be found thus far. Smith-Njigba is the most polished of the group while Demas, Temple's Quentin Johnston (No. 117) and Troy Omeire (No. 154) display tremendous physical ceilings and raw skillsets. It’s Texas, so we will likely see more receivers emerge during the spring, but this is the thinnest I’ve seen the position in a while.

5. Resurgence in the trenches

The last few years have been barren up front, but 2020 promises some excellent talent on both the offensive and defensive lines. Twelve front line prospects check in for the Top247, and three of them are already Texas commits. The Longhorns have been able to string together classes based on what the state produced, but they could potentially feast on the bounty in front of them here.

6. Big risers

With early rankings updates, it’s natural to see guys come from out of nowhere to rank highly. Fourteen players emerged after not being ranked in the previous Top247 to check in. Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah (No. 103), Fort Bend Marshall athlete Devon Achane (No. 107), Athens offensive lineman Garrett Hayes (No. 110) and Arlington athlete Jahari Rogers (No. 140) all received much-needed bumps. Hayes is the most interesting because he’s a virtual unknown. His film is tremendous, but he doesn’t post much on social media, and he hasn’t been to many camps.

7. Big drops

As the rankings solidify, it’s normal to see drops as others move up. Perhaps the biggest was Duncanville safety Chris Thompson Jr., who fell over 100 spots nationally. Thompson is interesting because he is such a strong fit for other programs that his ultimate destination will decide how good he can truly be. The tumble of Fort Bend Marshall quarterback Malik Hornsby (No. 78) was more likely an adjustment to the huge jump he made in the last set of rankings. Logan Parr’s fall could be conceived of another adjustment to a player ranked very high early on in the evaluation process.

8. Longhorns primed to add more high-end talent

Of the players in the Top247 inside the state of Texas, I’d classify the Longhorns as being in a really good position for Zach Evans (No. 10), Ja'Quinden Jackson (No. 42), Prince Dorbah (No. 103), Quentin Johnston (No. 117), Alfred Collins (No. 126), Xavion Alford (No. 128), Chris Thompson Jr. (No. 153), Troy Omeire (No. 154), Jalen Kimber (No. 182) and Josh White (186). Of that group, I’d say it’s likely Texas can land more than half and establish their class as one of the best in the country again.

9. Who should be higher?

With any rankings process, there will be disagreements. In this instance, I think that Chad Lindberg, Ja’Quinden Jackson, Vernon Broughton and Chris Thompson Jr. are a bit too low. We talked about the fit with Thompson, and some of that comes into play with Jackson as we figure out what he is at the next level. Broughton came from not ranked to the Top 150, and he will likely only go up as his trajectory continues. Lindberg is viewed as a player with a high floor but a limited ceiling, but I find value in that with risky positions like the offensive line.

10. Who should be lower?

On the flip side, I think that Jaylen Garth, Ty'Kieast Crawford and Malik Hornsby checked in a bit too high. Garth and Crawford are the opposite of Lindberg with their tremendous ceilings, and they have the power to make an evaluator look like a genius or a fool down the line. Hornsby is another high-ceiling athlete who showed last season that he has a lot of development in front of him. For Hornsby, his fit is important and his position will be as well. As an athlete, he shows elite traits, but as a quarterback, there is work to do.

2 hours ago, Dbeasy said:

Wait we are now ranking recruiting thread posters?

At first, I was like, man, I never fell out of the top 100 nationally. What is he referencing? Then I wondered if perhaps a Clayton Teddy Jenkins was listed and I missed it. Then I realized it was Chris Thompson Jr. I knew I liked that guy. 

• Like 1

E.J. Holland: Texas poised to make another national recruiting statement

Tom Herman has successfully rebuilt UT’s national recruiting brand. Just a few years ago, former five-star running back Najee Harris told Horns247 that while he held an offer from the Longhorns, he didn’t know anything about the program and didn’t consider them. The "who Texas" line from Harris became a running joke. Fast forward to now, and Texas is once again a recruiting machine. The Longhorns have landed back-to-back Top 3 classes under Herman, with last cycle having some major national flavor.

Texas went out to California — Harris’ home state — and pulled three Top247 recruits in Bru McCoy, De’Gabriel Floyd and Chris Adimora. The Longhorns also landed the Gatorade National Player of the Year in Arizona’s Jake Smith and four-star prospects from Georgia, Missouri and Louisiana. Exactly half of UT’s 2019 recruiting class was made up of prospects that don’t call the Lone Star State home. And the Longhorns could have similar national recruiting success this cycle.

After all, Texas is coming off a huge win over Georgia in the Sugar Bowl and recruiting victories like McCoy and Floyd are opening the eyes of prospects across the board. “Coach Herman and Coach (Drew) Mehringer are doing some great things down there,” said composite five-star California wide receiver Johnny Wilson said. “The past two years have been really good. When I first started going through the recruiting process, going out-of-state wasn’t really a thing I would look into. But they really opened up that door.”

Like Wilson, many high profile national recruits are giving Texas a hard look. Just look at the new Top247 rankings. Of the Top 15 recruits in the country, Texas is firmly in the mix with four from out-of-state — linebackers Justin Flowe and Sav’ell Smalls, cornerback Kelee Ringo and tight end Darnell Washington. Of course, Texas is also right up there with in-state five-star Zachary Evans.

There are already some Texas Crystal Ball picks in for Ringo as UT is the only school he has visited twice during his recruitment. Don’t be surprised if Flowe gets some picks as well once he makes it to campus this spring. Both Smalls and Washington have stated they would like to visit Texas this offseason as well.

But it doesn’t just stop with the true cream of the crop. Texas hosted elite California running back Kendall Milton, who is ranked No. 22, over the weekend. Arizona running back Bijan Robinson checked in and No. 26 and plans to see Texas at some point in the next two months. The aforementioned Wilson, who is ranked No. 32, loves Texas and has the Longhorns in his final five.

Texas has already played host to Michigan offensive lineman Justin Rogers, Oklahoma defensive back Myles Slusher, Arizona defensive end Jason Harris, Tennessee offensive lineman Chris Morris and Oklahoma wide receiver Javian Hester. All are ranked inside the new Top247. The Longhorns are also in line to receive spring visits from guys like Arizona defensive back Lathan Ransom, Arizona linebacker Damian Sellers, Washington running back Sam Adams II, Louisiana defensive lineman Jacobian Guillory. Again, all are inside the new Top247.

By the way, Texas already holds a commitment from Missouri athlete Mookie Cooper, who is ranked No. 122. Herman has made it clear that he is going to find the best talent. Period. And he’s doing just that.

3 hours ago, Cairn Horn88 said:

So, think we will offer Haynes King, #1 rated qb in Texas for 2020?

I don’t really think King’s style fits what Herman wants to do offensively. Just my opinion.  But I’ve only watched him play 3 games. No other film or his HUDL. 

Edited by Tex Pete
  • Like 1

EJ after dark: Visit plans for key out-of-state targets

— There is still no firm date on a Texas visit for five-star Upland (Calif.) linebacker Justin Flowe, but we do expect it to happen in the next month or two. The three schools that Flowe really wants to see next are Oklahoma, Texas and Clemson. As we’ve been reporting, Texas is definitely trending up for Flowe. He loves the coaching staff, has a connection to some of the 2019 signees and is very open to leaving the West Coast. For Texas, it’s all about getting him to Austin for that visit.

— Texas put an offer on the table for four-star Saguaro (AZ) linebacker Damian Sellers a few days ago. This is a prospect that really caught my attention when I went out there to see Kelee Ringo last spring. Sellers is big, athletic and moves extremely well. Texas OC Tim Beck has a connection to his high school as he used to be the head coach there. We expect Sellers to make a visit to Texas at some point this offseason.

— Texas seems to be in a good with several of its cornerback targets, but the Longhorns are still evaluating some national names, including four-star Saguaro (AZ) product Jacobe Covington, who is seeing his stock boom on the trail. Covington goes to the same school as Sellers and Ringo, and UT cornerbacks coach Jason Washington has stopped by there on several occasions.

— West Aurora (IL) defensive lineman Denver Warren is looking to visit Texas in a few weeks. A three-star prospect, Warren is a true nose with offers from LSU, Michigan, Michigan State, Penn State, Wisconsin and others. He is a name to file away.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Kendall-Milton-talks-Texas-visit--129558138/

Clovis (Calif.) Buchanan running back Kendall Milton visited Texas over the weekend and the Horns made a big impression on the talented athlete.

Milton is among the nation’s top running backs, currently rated the No. 15 prospect overall and No. 2 back in the country in the 247Sports Composite. He has been one of the state’s top backs since his freshman year and was already pulling in scholarship offers before his freshman season.

At 6-2, 215, he has a nice combination of size, speed and power and shows the ability to run between the tackles and get the tough yards or break it outside and outrun a defense. He’s a physical back with good hands and has all the tools to be an elite player at the next level.

Over the weekend, Milton took a visit to Texas and had nothing but good things to say about his time in Austin.

“I loved it out there,” Milton said. “I was there for two days and I would say the best part for me was spending time with coach (Tom) Herman and coach (Stan) Drayton (RB coach). I was able to sit down with them have a great conversation about the school and my role there.

“You can tell both coaches know their football and they’re both family based, which is important to me. They talked about the offense and how I could be the primary back for them and make a huge impact on the team. They see me as an every down back that never leaves the field and I definitely feel like I could make that place my home.”

Milton said he did the whole campus tour, met some of the players and then spent some quality time with freshman linebacker DeGabriel Floyd.

“Gabe took me out and showed me around,” Milton said. “He showed me the town a little and I love the city of Austin and felt very comfortable there. I saw Bru (McCoy) and he loves it there as well. It’s a great school and the football program is going in the right direction. I definitely plan to be back again for an official visit."

As for future visits, Milton has several schools he wants to see this off-season.

"I'm trying to set up a visit to Ohio State right now," Milton said. "I also want to visit LSU, Alabama and Georgia. I'm going to try and take some official visits this spring and I'll also take some in the fall but I haven't figured all that out yet.

"I was at Oklahoma before the Texas visit and that was a great trip too. I'm for sure going to take an official visit there as well but I'm not sure about the others. I'm just going to take my unofficial visits first and then I'll figure out the official trips later this off-season."

• Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

What are Huff's aspirations related to coaching?

My understanding is that he may have reached them already. He's done well with his investments, he gets to show up and coach every day, but he doesn't have as much grind as is associated with one of the 10 assistants, and he doesn't have to recruit off campus (save that 1 time when he hit the road during transition). But that's just what I've been told, and maybe that's changed. He certainly seems like a coaching asset, and he's an obvious on campus recruiting asset. 

• Like 2

Re: Milton’s comments-“You can tell both coaches know their football and they’re both family based, which is important to me. They talked about the offense and how I could be the primary back for them and make a huge impact on the team. They see me as an every down back that never leaves the field and I definitely feel like I could make that place my home.

For those of you in the know; what, if, any impact do you think this may this have on Evans?

1 minute ago, SydneyCarton said:

My understanding is that he may have reached them already. He's done well with his investments, he gets to show up and coach every day, but he doesn't have as much grind as is associated with one of the 10 assistants, and he doesn't have to recruit off campus (save that 1 time when he hit the road during transition). But that's just what I've been told, and maybe that's changed. He certainly seems like a coaching asset, and he's an obvious on campus recruiting asset. 

If he's happy in current role, does a great job and not interested in going on the road to recruit then good for Huff....🤘

Having traveled for part of my career, being on the Road sucks sometimes....

6 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is correct right now but wouldn't be surprised if it changes in the future.

6 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Re: Milton’s comments-“You can tell both coaches know their football and they’re both family based, which is important to me. They talked about the offense and how I could be the primary back for them and make a huge impact on the team. They see me as an every down back that never leaves the field and I definitely feel like I could make that place my home.

For those of you in the know; what, if, any impact do you think this may this have on Evans?

Two back rotation like Ingram & Watson last year or Chubb & Michel at Jawja..... less carries in college preserves Milton's body for longer career in NFL.

Think about how Todd Gurley may be done in 2-3 years because he can't stay healthy....

Edited by LTtxfan

5 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

i don't know shit but i'm sure they have the same pitch to evans.  i don't think anyone believes both of them are signing together.

6 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Evans had mentioned that he wanted to play with Milton in the past. He doubled down on that big time in an interview with Suchomel after Milton's visit. 

Spoiler

1. Zachary Evans and Kendall Milton both expressed a desire to play together in college

Five-star running backs Zachary Evans and Kendall Milton certainly aren’t a package deal, but in communicating with both guys over the weekend, there is a legitimate interest from both in wanting to play together in college.

When Evans first mentioned recently that he’d like to team up with Milton at the next level, my initial impression was that it was probably just a bit of gamesmanship from Evans but the possibility of that talk coming to fruition was extremely low. I still wouldn’t come close to putting money on both players going to the same school, but after last weekend, I sure as hell wouldn’t rule it out either.

I spoke with Evans, the five-star standout out of North Shore High School, at Sunday’s Rivals 3-Stripe Camp in Houston. When I asked if his interest in playing with someone like Milton was legitimate, or if he was just offering up what could be described as recruiting lip service, Evans made it clear that the idea of him and Milton sharing the workload is something he views as a strong positive. In fact, Evans repeated his message a few times before eventually leaning close to my microphone and speaking very clearly, hoping to deliver his message to Milton directly.

“Kendall Milton, I’m serious. I want to play with him. I’m serious. We can change the game. It would be nice to play with somebody who can ball just like you,” Evans said. “I’m definitely serious. Kendall, I’m serious, I want to play with you.”

Evans, who has been in touch with Milton in recent weeks, said he has a couple other players he really wants to line up with at college, including North Shore teammate Damieon George and five-star quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei (the only player in the Rivals100 rated above Evans … for now).

“I’m serious (about playing with Milton). I have three people I want to play with – Kendall, Damion and D.J.”

If Texas could land Evans, that would greatly help the Longhorns chances with George. The two are close friends and both have expressed a strong interest in playing together past their days at North Shore.

As for Milton, the five-star talent out of Clovis (CA) Buchanan, he took an unofficial visit to Texas last weekend and the Longhorns made a strong impression. He said, like Evans, he’d love the opportunity to share the backfield with another talented running back in order to help reduce the wear and tear on his body.

“Playing with Zach would be a dangerous combination in the college football world. It does interest me to play with another elite running back so I’m not taking off too much tread on my tires,” Milton said. ”Playing with another elite running back would be a huge game changer.”

2. Texas’ has a legitimate chance with both Evans and Milton

On the surface, the idea of landing both Zachary Evans and Kendall Milton would seem to be far-fetched, but don’t rule out Texas' chances at all.

In Evans, you have a player who has been on campus a number of times and a guy who has always had Texas at or near the top of his list. After talking to Evans and those close to him over the weekend, nothing has changed. There’s a long way to go in this one, but Texas is in a great spot and I like the Longhorns’ chances as much as any team that’s recruiting the once-in-a-decade talent.

When I mentioned to Evans that my explanation to fans constantly wanting answers was to be patient but also know the Longhorns sit in a great spot in this race, he didn’t disagree. Basically, this one’s a long way from its conclusion and there will probably be some nervous moments as Evans takes other visits, but Texas has a lot to offer and should stay in the mix all the way until the end. Some of Texas’ strengths - proximity, a good relationship with the UT staff, a program on the rise, offensive line recruiting and a wide open depth chart – are all factors of which Evans and his family are firmly aware. Will it be enough for Texas to win out? It’s too early to say with any certainty at this point, but I do like the Longhorns’ early position.

As for Milton, his weekend visit to the Forty Acres made a strong enough impression that he says he’ll be back on campus at some point in the recruiting process.

“The (Texas) visit was amazing. It was great to be able to sit down with the coaching staff along with their families and just get a feel for the program,” Milton said. “I definitely plan to make a trip back.”

Rivals.com recruiting analyst Adam Gorney, who has covered Milton’s recruitment closely, said he expects the Longhorns to be a major player for Milton, and he feels he possibility of Milton and Evans playing together cannot be overlooked.

“I think Milton is very serious about Texas. I don’t think he’s going to be scared away by any school if they’re taking another running back and his comments prove that,” Gorney said. “I think over the last couple years, as NFL teams have taken guys and are more concerned with guys who have had so many caries, it’s almost a benefit to not have as heavy of a workload. And kids in high school are savvy enough to understand that if you’re carrying the ball a lot in your college career, that’s a concern for NFL teams to some degree.

“I think that’s something the high school kids are aware of. The days of them being the feature back and run into the ground, I think kids are concerned about that. Rightly so, and Milton is the type of guy who will take something like that into consideration.”

Both Milton and Evans plan to take numerous other visits, so Texas will have to fight for both players, but the UT staff has done a tremendous job up to this point with both prospects.

3. If things go well, Herb Hand could have this OL set for years to come

What offensive line coach Herb Hand was able to do in year one with the Longhorn program was pretty impressive, transforming the UT o-line into a consistent unit that played very well in protecting Sam Ehlinger and opening up holes in the ground game.

Texas has recruited well along the offensive line in the last two cycles, and the start of the 2020 class has been tremendous with Hand already securing three big-time pledges. If Texas can continue to close out this year’s class with a couple more key components (which seems highly likely right now), the future for the offensive line will be very bright. Projecting one year further, the 2021 offensive line class in the state of Texas looks like it will be another extremely talented group, and Texas is already in a good spot with some of its top targets in that class.

Tommy Brockermeyer will be one of the nation’s best in the 2021 class and the Longhorns will factor heavily into his decision. Reuben Fatheree II will likely challenge for the top spot in the state and he’s been a regular visitor on the UT campus. Last weekend, at the Rivals Camp in Houston, the trio of Donovan Jackson, Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster was flat-out terrific (they were all invited to the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge), and all three have Texas in a small grouping of favorites.

It’s been a while since Texas has been consistently dominant in the trenches on offense, but based on the recent recruiting efforts – and Hand’s impressive work as a coach – it feels like the worm is officially turning with the Longhorns’ offensive line play.

I think it's not going to happen, but I don't think Milton will deter Evans. Apparently they at least talk behind the scenes but I don't know how much they've actually met or anything.

Edited by Bodacious Bevo

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Evans had mentioned that he wanted to play with Milton in the past. He doubled down on that big time in an interview with Suchomel after Milton's visit. 

Reveal hidden contents

1. Zachary Evans and Kendall Milton both expressed a desire to play together in college

Five-star running backs Zachary Evans and Kendall Milton certainly aren’t a package deal, but in communicating with both guys over the weekend, there is a legitimate interest from both in wanting to play together in college.

When Evans first mentioned recently that he’d like to team up with Milton at the next level, my initial impression was that it was probably just a bit of gamesmanship from Evans but the possibility of that talk coming to fruition was extremely low. I still wouldn’t come close to putting money on both players going to the same school, but after last weekend, I sure as hell wouldn’t rule it out either.

I spoke with Evans, the five-star standout out of North Shore High School, at Sunday’s Rivals 3-Stripe Camp in Houston. When I asked if his interest in playing with someone like Milton was legitimate, or if he was just offering up what could be described as recruiting lip service, Evans made it clear that the idea of him and Milton sharing the workload is something he views as a strong positive. In fact, Evans repeated his message a few times before eventually leaning close to my microphone and speaking very clearly, hoping to deliver his message to Milton directly.

“Kendall Milton, I’m serious. I want to play with him. I’m serious. We can change the game. It would be nice to play with somebody who can ball just like you,” Evans said. “I’m definitely serious. Kendall, I’m serious, I want to play with you.”

Evans, who has been in touch with Milton in recent weeks, said he has a couple other players he really wants to line up with at college, including North Shore teammate Damieon George and five-star quarterback D.J. Uiagalelei (the only player in the Rivals100 rated above Evans … for now).

“I’m serious (about playing with Milton). I have three people I want to play with – Kendall, Damion and D.J.”

If Texas could land Evans, that would greatly help the Longhorns chances with George. The two are close friends and both have expressed a strong interest in playing together past their days at North Shore.

As for Milton, the five-star talent out of Clovis (CA) Buchanan, he took an unofficial visit to Texas last weekend and the Longhorns made a strong impression. He said, like Evans, he’d love the opportunity to share the backfield with another talented running back in order to help reduce the wear and tear on his body.

“Playing with Zach would be a dangerous combination in the college football world. It does interest me to play with another elite running back so I’m not taking off too much tread on my tires,” Milton said. ”Playing with another elite running back would be a huge game changer.”

On the surface, the idea of landing both Zachary Evans and Kendall Milton would seem to be far-fetched, but don’t rule out Texas' chances at all.

In Evans, you have a player who has been on campus a number of times and a guy who has always had Texas at or near the top of his list. After talking to Evans and those close to him over the weekend, nothing has changed. There’s a long way to go in this one, but Texas is in a great spot and I like the Longhorns’ chances as much as any team that’s recruiting the once-in-a-decade talent.

When I mentioned to Evans that my explanation to fans constantly wanting answers was to be patient but also know the Longhorns sit in a great spot in this race, he didn’t disagree. Basically, this one’s a long way from its conclusion and there will probably be some nervous moments as Evans takes other visits, but Texas has a lot to offer and should stay in the mix all the way until the end. Some of Texas’ strengths - proximity, a good relationship with the UT staff, a program on the rise, offensive line recruiting and a wide open depth chart – are all factors of which Evans and his family are firmly aware. Will it be enough for Texas to win out? It’s too early to say with any certainty at this point, but I do like the Longhorns’ early position.

As for Milton, his weekend visit to the Forty Acres made a strong enough impression that he says he’ll be back on campus at some point in the recruiting process.

“The (Texas) visit was amazing. It was great to be able to sit down with the coaching staff along with their families and just get a feel for the program,” Milton said. “I definitely plan to make a trip back.”

Rivals.com recruiting analyst Adam Gorney, who has covered Milton’s recruitment closely, said he expects the Longhorns to be a major player for Milton, and he feels he possibility of Milton and Evans playing together cannot be overlooked.

“I think Milton is very serious about Texas. I don’t think he’s going to be scared away by any school if they’re taking another running back and his comments prove that,” Gorney said. “I think over the last couple years, as NFL teams have taken guys and are more concerned with guys who have had so many caries, it’s almost a benefit to not have as heavy of a workload. And kids in high school are savvy enough to understand that if you’re carrying the ball a lot in your college career, that’s a concern for NFL teams to some degree.

“I think that’s something the high school kids are aware of. The days of them being the feature back and run into the ground, I think kids are concerned about that. Rightly so, and Milton is the type of guy who will take something like that into consideration.”

Both Milton and Evans plan to take numerous other visits, so Texas will have to fight for both players, but the UT staff has done a tremendous job up to this point with both prospects.

What offensive line coach Herb Hand was able to do in year one with the Longhorn program was pretty impressive, transforming the UT o-line into a consistent unit that played very well in protecting Sam Ehlinger and opening up holes in the ground game.

Texas has recruited well along the offensive line in the last two cycles, and the start of the 2020 class has been tremendous with Hand already securing three big-time pledges. If Texas can continue to close out this year’s class with a couple more key components (which seems highly likely right now), the future for the offensive line will be very bright. Projecting one year further, the 2021 offensive line class in the state of Texas looks like it will be another extremely talented group, and Texas is already in a good spot with some of its top targets in that class.

Tommy Brockermeyer will be one of the nation’s best in the 2021 class and the Longhorns will factor heavily into his decision. Reuben Fatheree II will likely challenge for the top spot in the state and he’s been a regular visitor on the UT campus. Last weekend, at the Rivals Camp in Houston, the trio of Donovan Jackson, Hayden Conner and Bryce Foster was flat-out terrific (they were all invited to the Rivals100 Five-Star Challenge), and all three have Texas in a small grouping of favorites.

It’s been a while since Texas has been consistently dominant in the trenches on offense, but based on the recent recruiting efforts – and Hand’s impressive work as a coach – it feels like the worm is officially turning with the Longhorns’ offensive line play.

I think it's not going to happen, but I don't think Milton will deter Evans. Apparently they at least talk behind the scenes but I don't know how much they've actually met or anything.

Someone asked Suchomel what he thought the sincerity of each was for this on a scale of 0-10, and he put Evans at a 9 and Milton at a 5

So it sounds like Evans is pushing this, and Milton is more neutral about it 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Evans had mentioned that he wanted to play with Milton in the past. He doubled down on that in an interview with Suchomel after Milton's visit. 

Reveal hidden contents

Missed that article... (c’mon Native, keep up!) likely getting too wrapped up in the continuing abyss of the 2019 Thread. Appreciate the info.  

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Reveal hidden contents

I should add that I don't think Evans is scared off by Milton, but we have no idea about how Milton feels about the whole thing.

14 minutes ago, NTVTXN said:

Just curious what you think the alternative pitch is?

• Like 2

Being part of a RB rotation maximizes the tread left on the tires for when you get to the NFL, but the flip side is the NFL probably isn't drafting you in the first round, and there is a strong chance that the NFL is going to run you into the ground on that first contract as well, so there won't likely be the second contract payday like other positions experience. 

• Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Being part of a RB rotation maximizes the tread left on the tires for when you get to the NFL, but the flip side is the NFL probably isn't drafting you in the first round, and there is a strong chance that the NFL is going to run you into the ground on that first contract as well, so there won't likely be the second contract payday like other positions experience. 

UGA had Michel go in the first and Chubb go in the second in the same year 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Josh Jacobs from Bama this year was part of a 3 man rotation and will almost certainly be a first rounder. 

3 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Jesus guys do I have to list all the RBs that aren't first rounders to prove to you that the NFL trend is very few RBs are going in the first round.

Do you really think our coaching staff is telling these guys that they aren't going in the first round?!? Few players at all go in the first round, but so long as there are RBs going early, you can be damn sure our staff isn't selling them on being a late rounder or a UDFA.

4 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

Jesus guys do I have to list all the RBs that aren't first rounders to prove to you that the NFL trend is very few RBs are going in the first round.

That is a completely different argument. It has nothing to do with whether being in a rotation hurts draft position or not.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Casual Encounter said:

Just curious what you think the alternative pitch is?

Honestly, I hadn’t really thought about it. 

The impact on Evans recruitment was my first reaction.

In my trying to keep up, (albeit very casually) with the whole recruiting thing. In doing so, I seen various comments around them being “all in” with Card as a QB and haven’t seen anything in regards to their looking at other options for an all purpose back.  

At any rate, I’m of the opinion that it’s alway smart to have contingency plans. 

13 minutes ago, Gene Parmesan said:

How many RBs drafted in the first round in the past few years were part of multiple feature back system?

2018:

• Saquon - No
  • Rashad Penny - No
  • Sony Michel - Yes

2017:

• Leonard Fournette - Yes
  • Christian McCaffrey - Yes

2016:

• Ezekiel Elliot - Yes

2015:

• Todd Gurley - Yes
  • Melvin Gordon - No

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, pacman said:

Glad Evans doesn't mind having another top back in the fold, given we already have Ingram

In my defense the hypothetical being proposed is two 5 star back in the same class signing together.  Which pretty much everyone agrees isn't happening.  Never was my argument intended to mean that these guys are supposed to be the only back on the roster.

13 minutes ago, Horn Under a Bad Sign said:

A RB's goals should be 1) banging chicks, 2) maximizing the number of years he plays in the NFL (i.e. getting to that second contract)  and 3) minimizing the number of concussions he receives

Getting to that second contract is key, though. If a RB can get there, he can be set for life.

Slight edit. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

I’m friends with a guy who played with him at UT and he said the same. Huff is loaded and enjoys walking out to his garage and deciding which of his 6 figure rides he wants to take to work that day. Dude has more money than he needs and just enjoys being around the program but doesn’t have further coaching aspirations right now. I think he’d have to decide he’s dying to be a HC and would just grin and bear the position coach duties to get there, but he’s way too happy with his life to fly all over the country and pander to 17 year olds he’s still better than just because a DB coach door opens up.

• Like 1