Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

seems like it's Notre Dame and Ohio State leading the pack for Ransom right now (siap)

Tom Loy: Notre Dame Recruiting Scoop

Reveal hidden contents

— In talking with sources connected with Notre Dame, Ohio State and the prospect himself, the feeling is that these two programs made an incredible impression on four-star safety Lathan Ransom. He visited Notre Dame on Saturday and then Ohio State on Sunday, two trips he was looking forward to for a long time. My gut feeling is that the Fighting Irish have a slight lead at this point, but he’s not ready to make a decision any time soon. Look for him to take a few more unofficial visits and then narrow things down to a final five. He’ll take official visits after that. Notre Dame and Ohio State should get a second visit. Both schools seem to think his final decision will come down to these two schools. It’ll be interesting to see how this plays out, but it’s hard not to like safeties coach Terry Joseph in this one after what he’s done so far. That said, Ohio State’s Jeff Hafley and Tony Alford will do everything they can to get him on board with the Buckeyes. If looking for a potential dark horse here, one that could create a problem for the other two schools, keep an eye on Texas.

That's a good update for us. Like always, it gets real once we get them on campus.

2 hours ago, GRHorn said:

I’m in the camp that Evans is a level above even Milton or McClellan. I bet Herman was glad that Milton’s dad was unable to come along on next visit. Gives them reason to continue to play it slow while they go through the process with Evans. 

Evans

—————

Milton

————

————

Mclellan

im in the camp that McLellan is significantly overrated (even though he’s still good). He’s the one we should be worried about being tapped out and all the folks who discount every RB you’ve seen out of Katy, should also probably be applying an Aledo discount.

47 minutes ago, satyanash said:

Nahlin seems to agree

image.png

Considering how hard we’re in on Ringo, I’d be all for nabbing Ransom even if it means passing on Alford to do it. 

• Like 2

Adrian Peterson was in the class of 2004. Zach Evans is in the class of 2020. Zach Evans is a fucking monster and is no doubt the best RB to come out of Texas in the last 16 years. Wait till you see what he puts on film as a SR.

there’s a chance evans could be the best since AD, though I doubt he’s even on the level of jamaal charles.  one thing I do know, he is not adrian peterson.  evans might be the best in years, but AD is on a level considerably higher than that.  

Add Johnny Wilson, Ringo, Lindberg and Evans to our class and we’d be ranked 3rd in the nation behind LSU and Alabama with two less recruits and a composite average around 96.3. 
Thats a lot of assumptions and big time recruitments but none of those individually are huge reaches. 

What’s depressing is that if we add the number one player in the country, two more five stars, and a high four star we would only be number three in the country right now.

18 minutes ago, futureman said:

there’s a chance evans could be the best since AD, though I doubt he’s even on the level of jamaal charles.  one thing I do know, he is not adrian peterson.  evans might be the best in years, but AD is on a level considerably higher than that.  

I haven't seen either of them play in person, but AD was running over 160 pound 3A kids at Palestine.  Evans is playing big boy football.

17 minutes ago, Keef said:

I haven't seen either of them play in person, but AD was running over 160 pound 3A kids at Palestine.  Evans is playing big boy football.

If you couldn’t see that AD was a transcendent talent, you should never evaluate a prospect. Ever. 

Edited by Irieguy
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, futureman said:

sorry your powers of talent evaluation are sub replacement level.  you’ll never work in football. 

Don't get me wrong, AD is amazing.  One of the best running backs I've ever seen.  I think he's a superior talent to Evans.  But Evans had one bad game and he's playing against a much higher level of competition.  As someone who watches 5 minutes of hudl clips eating potato chips on my couch, AD is going to look better playing against 3A competition than he would the 6A competition that Evans plays against.  That's all I'm saying. 

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

CJ is elite physically in terms of height and length. This is an example of what I meant earlier. CJ can be not speedy because he's fucking huge physically and can make the contested catch better than probably anyone else in CFB for the 2019 season. Omeire has very good physical size, but it's not elite.

This is why I don't think he'll be elite with contested catches in college. He looks great at it now, but he's not battling 6'1" CBs and big ass LBs that can outrun him, and those types are going to all make the contested catch more difficult than anything he'll face in HS. 

Ran a 4.77 40 and a 4.69 shuttle at the Under Armor Houston camp

1 minute ago, Keef said:

Don't get me wrong, AD is amazing.  One of the best running backs I've ever seen.  I think he's a superior talent to Evans.  But Evans had one bad game and he's playing against a much higher level of competition.  As someone who watches 5 minutes of hudl clips eating potato chips on my couch, AD is going to look better playing against 3A competition than he would the 6A competition that Evans plays against.  That's all I'm saying. 

at the same age AD was 2-3 inches taller, ~25 lbs heavier, considerably faster, and ran considerably harder.  the comparison doesn’t even exist.  and still evans may be the 2nd best since then behind jamaal.  he’s an incredible talent.  but he wouldn’t get a single snap in the same backfield with the other two.  

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Evans

—————

Milton

————

————

Mclellan

im in the camp that McLellan is significantly overrated (even though he’s still good). He’s the one we should be worried about being tapped out and all the folks who discount every RB you’ve seen out of Katy, should also probably be applying an Aledo discount.

I talked about the amount of bullets Aledo backs take a few weeks ago. It’s a real thing and I’m fine him heading to OU. 

4 minutes ago, Horns1012 said:

Yeah, that’s why I referenced him being slow and a 4.8 guy earlier. 4.77 is sloooowwwww for sure. 

10 hours ago, closetojumping said:

I'm interested to see if Texas continues to pursue Omeire. New shit can come to light in recruiting. If you don't have one elite trait, you kind of need to be really, really good in all of the traits. Omeire has not tested well this month and he doesn't do anything truly elite if he's also going to be slow. We'll see, I guess. 

Yeah, I don't really get the hype here. He's not fast and he doesn't have the physical profile of somebody like CJ. Not denying Omeire is a good player but I don't think he's a composite 100 type. 

Let me put it this way, I think somebody like Dylan Wright has a lot more upside than Omeire. 

Like you said, he doesn't have a single elite trait. 

Edited by texasstrong12

17 minutes ago, Irieguy said:

If you couldn’t see that AD was a transcendent talent, you should never evaluate a prospect. Ever. 

AD is no Derrian Brown though.

/SpiderY2Banana

12 minutes ago, Horns1012 said:

Yeesh. That shuttle time is worse than the 40. That’s a truly horrible shuttle time and might indicate there’s quite a few routes he can’t run well.

IIRC, CJ ran in the high 4.5s in HS, while being 2-3 inches taller. And I’d bet CJ’s shuttle is much better than that too.

5 minutes ago, Horns1012 said:

What I also saw/heard that was worth a second glance - Demas came in at 6'1.8. His 247 profile has been at 6'4 for forever

Not surprising. Demas never seemed 6’4 to me when standing next to other prospects.

7 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I talked about the amount of bullets Aledo backs take a few weeks ago. It’s a real thing and I’m fine him heading to OU. 

McClellan hasnt had to carry nearly the workload Gray did back in the day. Gray starred at a time where he was the only real D1 athlete on the team and Aledo played a bunch of close games. When Steve Wood took over they opened up the offense and started throwing a bunch more. These days Aledo is loaded with athletes whose families move in to get their little athletes on the best team in Tarrant County.

The issue I see with McClellan is he was just as good or better his freshman year as his junior. May be a guy who developed and peaked early

29 minutes ago, Keef said:

If Evans can run as fast as you backpedal he’s going to be a Hall of Famer. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

AD is no Derrian Brown though.

/SpiderY2Banana

Yeesh. That shuttle time is worse than the 40. That’s a truly horrible shuttle time and might indicate there’s quite a few routes he can’t run well.

IIRC, CJ ran in the high 4.5s in HS, while being 2-3 inches taller. And I’d bet CJ’s shuttle is much better than that too.

Not surprising. Demas never seemed 6’4 to me when standing next to other prospects.

Eagles shuttle was 3.99. Moore was 3.96. LJH was 4.14. Didn't find collin but our WRs seem to hover around 4.

Edited by pacman

8 hours ago, Keef said:

4A or today’s 5A in what was probably the toughest district in Texas at the time and a team from their district won state, goddamn Kilgore.

Edit: Kilgore won the next year.. still solid squad

Edited by Ryno

8 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Ive seen the comp here before that Evans is Ced Benson 

I was looking at that comparison too.  The obvious traits that they have in common are good vision in traffic and both have good lateral movement.  Cedric was more of a lower your shoulder and absorb contact before making a lateral cut.  Evans seems to shift just before contact leaving the defender in poor position to bring him down.  Neither seem fast, but both gain positive yards coming out of their first cut.  

I’m also kind of leaning toward Demarco Murray simply because he Evans does tend to run more upright.  He does have very good vision, excellent lateral movement, he can find open space very quickly, but he does lack the speed of Jamaal Charles.  Evans is definitely in the top 5 games running backs to come out of Texas high school football in the past 25.  I hope he chooses Texas.

8 hours ago, cmontexas said:

Wasn't Jamaal underrated because he was skinny and seen as a track guy?

Changed that perception quick when he destroyed AJ Hawk on that int return

He also bounced off a Hawk tackle  late in first half on the pass out of the backfield.  Broke the tackle and set us up for points right before halftime.  I think we knew then we had a special player. He was nails that game.

Edited by jdhorn92

10 minutes ago, Ghost of Shag said:

It's going to be interesting to see how we fill out this class if we're determined to go all the way to the end on Evans, Ringo, Wilson, Flowe, Smalls, Milton.  

Also, I just don't see how Evans is the #1 recruit in the nation without elite speed as a running back.  

How many of these guys are really going till NDS1 or NSD2? I feel like some of Ringo, Flowe, or Milton will likely shut things down sooner if they do indeed choose Texas. But that's just a feeling. Does anyone know what they've said on the record of their intentions?

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

How many of these guys are really going till NDS1 or NSD2? I feel like some of Ringo, Flowe, or Milton will likely shut things down sooner if they do indeed choose Texas. But that's just a feeling. Does anyone know what they've said on the record of their intentions?

Flowe, Smalls and Ringo I believe want to take some officials but from what I read all intend to try to enroll early. How sweet would it be to get those guys in for the LSU game and when our defense beast on the SEC they all choose Texas. Then pull Evans and Wilson and Darnell Washington on offense!! One can dream right.

• Like 1