Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Machinator said:

Hudson Card testing numbers:

6’2.5

179 lbs

4.79 40

4.0 shuttle

38 Vertical. 

Not that there are many (any?) situations where a QB will need to jump three feet in the air, but that's pretty impressive.  Also, I kind of assume a lot of the people here who don't think he's a QB1 take based it off the fact that he was a shorter QB when we took him.  A super accurate, tall QB who can change directions quickly is a nice QB prospect.

Just now, fellside said:

Not that there are many (any?) situations where a QB will need to jump three feet in the air, but that's pretty impressive.  Also, I kind of assume a lot of the people here who don't think he's a QB1 take based it off the fact that he was a shorter QB when we took him.  A super accurate, tall QB who can change directions quickly is a nice QB prospect.

Vertical is an indicator of explosion.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, fellside said:

tebowjump.gif

What Would Tebow Do?

• Like 1

Dorbah is unblockable at every one of these events. I know they benefit a guy like this the most but still, he’s showing everything you want out of rush backer. He reminds me of Jachai Polite from UF this past year.

36 minutes ago, Machinator said:

RB2 right there. Lock him up.

14 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Hudson Card testing numbers:

6’2.5

179 lbs

4.79 40

4.0 shuttle

38 Vertical. 

Those are some pretty fucking elite numbers. Those scores are quite a bit better than Roschon and 6’2.5, 180 is plenty good for him right now. He definitely looks bigger than I remember in that video.

its a shame his hands are too small to hold a football. 

Obviously don't put too much into these drill videos one way or another, but from what I understand Majors is heralded as a guy coming in with really high level technique (I feel like I remember having read that - correct me if I'm wrong). Yet in all of them he gets stood up straight nearly immediately. That doesn't seem to vibe. I understand he is likely at a strength disadvantage with a lot of these high level DL, and that can be fixed in a couple of years. But when you have that kind of athletic handicap you absolutely cannot afford to give up leverage. His film will be some to keep an eye on.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gmr548 said:

Obviously don't put too much into these drill videos one way or another, but from what I understand Majors is heralded as a guy coming in with really high level technique (I feel like I remember having read that - correct me if I'm wrong). Yet in all of them he gets stood up straight nearly immediately. That doesn't seem to vibe. I understand he is likely at a strength disadvantage with a lot of these high level DL, and that can be fixed in a couple of years. But when you have that kind of athletic handicap you absolutely cannot afford to give up leverage. His film will be some to keep an eye on.

I think he has great feet, balance “, and lower body flexibility. and he looks like he’s been adding good weight. He really pops on his film when he’s exploding out of his stance and run blocking, which he obviously doesn’t  get to do here.However, he definitely looks like he struggles with hand placement and initial punch in pass pro.

I still like him a lot as a prospect because a lot of the traits he shows can’t be taught nearly as easily as hand placement/technique, but he’s a good example of why OL scouting is tough. He’s been losing a lot of reps at these camps, however some small changes with his hands would probably shift a most of these reps from losses to wins.

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

I think he has great feet, balance “, and lower body flexibility. and he looks like he’s been adding good weight. He really pops on his film when he’s exploding out of his stance and run blocking, which he obviously doesn’t  get to do here.However, he definitely looks like he struggles with hand placement and initial punch in pass pro.

I still like him a lot as a prospect because a lot of the traits he shows can’t be taught nearly as easily as hand placement/technique, but he’s a good example of why OL scouting is tough. He’s been losing a lot of reps at these camps, however some small changes with his hands would probably shift a most of these reps from losses to wins.

Good assessment. Most of his best highlights were in run blocking. He looks like he’s stronger in his lower half than his upper half. He has a hard time keeping the other guy out of his body. Sets a good base, but just catches the DL instead of punching. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Chili dog said:

Good assessment. Most of his best highlights were in run blocking. He looks like he’s stronger in his lower half than his upper half. He has a hard time keeping the other guy out of his body. Sets a good base, but just catches the DL instead of punching. 

Yep. A strong initial punch would do wonders for him. Obviously, that can be added quite easily. From there, it's all about continuing to keep the guy off his body, but his balance and footwork show that he can mirror and stay in front of a DL, so once he adds some more upper body strength to go with the punch and follow up hand placement, he should be in good shape. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1