Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

18 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

I'm afraid to ask but are there any updates on Lindberg?

Latest IT post talks about him.

PARKER BRAUN

It wasn't shocking, but it was a bit surprising that Georgia Tech graduate transfer Parker Braun committed to Texas before departing for home. 

Texas getting the commitment from him is testament to the immediate action taken by Herb Hand to get in the Braun's good graces. As we reported, Hand was on the phone with Parker before Parker's parents even knew he was officially in the Portal (they knew he intended to transfer). Hand told him he'd see him soon and was on a plane two days later. Lunch in Atlanta opened up serious dialogue and ensured an official visit. The official visit was obviously knocked out of the park. 

What goes on during an official visit? Well, when an offensive lineman is involved you can bet on food. Parker was treated to authentic Austin fare, with BBQ and a visit to The Picnic food truck park. He was even made an omelette by resident chef Hand. 

While the food was great, the meat of the visit included academic and strength and conditioning programs. The visit with Yancy McKnight needed to be a slam dunk and it was.

With Braun slated to arrive in the early summer, the question now on everybody's mind is whether he'll play in 2019 or red-shirt in order to acclimate to the change in offense. Per sources it sounds like Parker prefers to red-shirt, however, if he's needed to start he likely will play. What does that mean? I'd bet on him playing next season. 

Another question is whether or not the staff will pursue his younger brother Joshua? Joshua is a high rated, 6-foot-6, 330-pound offensive tackle in the 2020 class. He reveres his older brother and will hear all about Texas. 

Joshua, like Parker, is very smart. He also plays *checks notes* varsity tennis. Could the younger Braun serve as insurance in the event Texas misses on one of its priorities? Speaking of which...

CHAD LINDBERG TAKES IN STANFORD

I caught up with Lindberg's mother, Emily, after they returned home from the Bay Area. I hate bothering parents and players after a long travel day but I was just as curious as everyone else about how their long anticipated trip went. As always, Emily was gracious with her time.

"We just got home. I think Stanford made his whole recruitment decision a lot harder. We had a great visit! I think we both thought the school was amazing! We really liked all of the coaches and staff. It’s just different. On the plus side, I don’t think you could be around a greater group of guys. They were hardworking, polite, respectful and smart. The facilities aren’t as great as pretty much any place we’ve visited (they weren’t bad by any means, just not as nice) but the education and opportunities are definitely the focus. I think it has given Chad a lot to think about. It’s going to be hard to turn down! Oh—one major negative-the plane ride on Southwest is not super fun for a big guy!"

That's about what I expected. What will be interesting is if some of the high wears off over the next couple of weeks. Probably not, and my suspicion is Texas is going to have to win a hard fought battle.

It seems Chad would prefer to make a decision before the season, but Emily isn't so sure that will happen. 

"No, not in a hurry to make a decision, but Coach Shaw was telling us that spring recruiting for the class that’s up that year gets crazy and suggested he give like a top 5 or 10 (or whatever number). I think he would really like to commit by the beginning of next season, but I wouldn’t count on that."

Still a lot of meat left on this bone but I don't think I'd trade UT's standing for Stanford's. 

ELITE 11 QUARTERBACKS 

Brad Wilson Stanfield is a quarterback trainer and the quarterbacks coach at Richmond Foster high school. He has trained 2020 Texas commit, Hudson Card, since Card was in junior high. He was in attendance at Sunday's Elite 11 and offered his thoughts on some of the guys who caught his attention.

Hudson Card, Lake Travis: Before I talk about anybody, what I’m about to say only has to do with a one day 5 hour evaluation on all these Qbs except Hudson of course. All of these young men are still growing and developing. Plus if you told me my son could be one one of these young men out there today I would say sign me up.

Card is easily one of the best across America there is no doubt. 4.0 shuttle and 38 inch vert are wow. Card is consistently accurate. We put in so many hours on biomechanics and accuracy from the end of 6th through 9th grade. Those are the biggest years to me. He has always prided himself on accuracy and decision making.

Chandler (Morris) and Card were the two who had the ability to consistently put it where they wanted, which has a lot to do with mechanics and confidence. They go hand in hand. (I mentioned questions of a long delivery for Hudson) They want to complain about his long delivery, go ahead. But I would also say watch his tape. When he needs to get it out quick, he gets it out quick. Mechanically speaking he does shoot his gun a little early with transfer of body weight which leaves some arm lag. However his mechanics are not hampered by that, he just loses some power output and it takes a bit longer coming out in doing so at times. We are scheduled to work on it this coming weekend with Adam from 3DQB In So Cal and with Tom House and crew. They have been good friends since Hudson was in the 8th grade and I had a Qb playing at USC. (I coached in So Cal for 5 years after Bama). The best trainers in the world (3DQB- they work with Tom Brady, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan) agree with me on Hudson biomechanically. Also Hudson is in one of the best programs in the country at LT so he is going to put on weight and get stronger. I don’t think there is any doubt the coaches at LT know what they are doing. He'll be fine. (I mentioned Card looks like he'll carry 210 and BWS agreed.) So the mechanics will get there, the weight will get there and to top it off, he comes from an unbelievable family.

Chandler Morris, Highland Park: Shocked me. He's pretty unbelievable. Extremely accurate. Drew Brees-ish already. I can't tell you the last time I was this fired up about a QB other than being biased to the ones I coach. Ran a 4.6 40 too. He just needs to get his body ready for the college hits he will take in the SEC. He has to do that for sure. Fits an RPO offense no doubt. Accurate and gets it out quick. He only struggled in some 'on the move stuff' in the end zone area. Was QB MVP of the camp. If he didn’t get MVP I would have been shocked. 

Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville: My first impression of him, and I watched him throw the whole day, four or five hours or whatever it was. There's no doubt in my mind he's worthy of a shot at least first semester at QB. He has the ability, but is he going to put in the extra work the position demands within the next year and half before he hits a college campus? Does he have the consistency in his daily habits to own the position? Greg McElroy (Stanfield coached at Alabama while McElroy was there) had that where you put in all the necessary extra work. College work load and pace is not like high school. Quarterback is a different position with different requirements.

(Stanfield mentioned if Jackson goes to Texas that his pupil Card will have to work that much harder, but that's the nature of the game)

Haynes King, Longview: I met and talked to him a good bit. King is easy to fall in love with from a character and personality standpoint. Then you see his 40 time and you get even more excited. King is going to be the typical SEC QB, the only thing that makes him a little different is he's still growing and he is more athletic or faster than most SEC QB in the past- legit 4.4 4.5 guy I had him at a 4.4 hand time, they got him at 4.5 laser. 

In 3rd and long drop back situations when they rush King they'll have to maintain rush lanes with gaps/pocket integrity. He may need a spy and you're not going to get up-field rush on this guy and give him lanes. I couldn’t wait to watch him throw. Only thing I would suggest for him is to keep working with biomechanics inside his throwing motion. He can be a whipper at times. Which means, that energy transfers from the lower to upper half is more like a whip, rather than a bunch of proper sequenced motions strung together from the lower body no up. Whippers can be good college Qbs but it’s really hard to own the consistency you want with a whip. You could see it hurt his accuracy and confidence some today. Overall he has so many positives it’s easy to see why he's regarded the way he is today. If you told me my son would be a King, I would say sign me up yesterday already. Love his upside.

HUDSON CARD

Admittedly, I was eager to see the future Texas QB compete in this arena. On the field, we know what he can do. But how he measured up with the rest of the state's signal-callers was something I needed to see. 

At the end of the day, he was in my personal Top 3 - Morris, King, and Card. He was in Nike's Top 3 as well garnering an Elite 11 invite this summer at The Opening. At almost 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, the care-free Card had fun, got some coaching, and really turned it on during 1-on-1 sessions. The moment was never too big for the four-star dual threat from Lake Travis. 

From my eyes, he has a great release, ball spins tight and is very catchable. I was surprised by his deep ball accuracy. Add to the fact he's a great athlete, tough as nails, and you know now why Tom Herman prioritized him so early. 

I got to spend time with Hudson and his family last night and will have a stand-alone post on the Lake Travis quarterback this week. I arrived in Frisco with high hopes, I left Frisco with expectations met. 

JALEN KIMBER

When the Mansfield Timberview defensive back woke up Sunday morning, he had no clue he'd notch the highest Sparq score at the Opening regional in Frisco. He'd just returned from an UOV to Austin and was eager to compete with some of the state's best from 2020 and 2021. 

Then he tested; 6-foot, 170, 4.47 (40), 40.8 (vertical), 7730 watts (peak power), 4.00 (shuttle), and 37.0 feet (power ball). As we look and try to evaluate this year's in-state class of corners, Sunday might be the day Kimber separated from the pack. 

IT: "Did you know you'd be the fastest kid out here?" 

JK: "No...(laughing)..I've been training hard, but it was a surprise to me."

IT: "Does the Sparq score matter to you?"

JK: "At first, they didn't mean anything to me. But now, they do, because I've seen people ranked above me that I know I'm better than, so this kind of motivated me to keep grinding and do what I do."

IT: "How was the Texas visit on Saturday?" 

JK: "A lot fun. (UT) gave me a whole lot of scenarios on how I would fit in coverage wise and play early if I played there. (Coach Washington) put up plays I've made and what UT does is the same exact thing. They saw my zone, my man, they saw my press, they saw my off man, my tackling, and they like my length. We did the whole tour, photo shoot, checked out the dorms, athletic department, and at the end watched film with Washington. I like the way he coaches and the energy he brings. That really did something to me. I liked it. Not to mention the campus is beautiful. I like Texas a lot now. They jumped up a lot on my list."

IT: "What are you looking for in a school?"

JK: "Comfortability for me, and my family, and somewhere they can come see me play. Mainly, the relationships. That's a big thing for me."

IT: "Timeframe?"

JK: "I want to commit before my senior season." 

This recruitment is trending nicely for the good guys. 

JQJ 

Ja'Quinden Jackson commands your respect. The 2020 four-star athlete and signal-caller at Duncanville rarely speaks to the media. He isn't impressed by any of this. 

And when JQJ started warming up with the quarterbacks, it was a small statement that 'you won't tell me where to play.' At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, this chiseled rock of stone looks bigger and stronger than when we watched him at the State Championship 

"I did alright today," said Jackson, who cracks a small smile. "I showed people I can throw. A lot of people tell me I can't throw, just run, but, I think I showed them a little bit. My stats speak for themselves."

Being the quarterback for 6A state runner up Duncanville is his main goal today. And getting to state in the 4x100 and 4x200 in track. 

"It's very important to me," Jackson explains. "I'm the leader of the team, and push everybody to be good, and go back to the state championship. I'd like to stick at QB in college. I don't do anything else but play QB." 

To ensure his opportunity at quarterback in college, he has to find a program willing to make that fit. He's found a few. 

"Texas and Oklahoma," Jackson said are the schools currently recruiting him behind center. As for other schools in pursuit, he declined to speak on that right now. This is a guy that keeps things close to the vest. 

But when asked about the Longhorns, he slowly opens up. 

"It really is a great school," said Jackson. "They have a great program, and they had a great season last year. They beat Georgia, which surprised me. They have a real good thing going on at Texas." 

There's no visits or camps scheduled. He'll start narrowing down his top schools list this summer, and release a Top 5 before his senior campaign. But Jackson does want to commit at the Under Armour Game in January. So this likely goes the distance. 

If he is or isn't a quarterback at the next level feels irrelevant at this time. I get the sense he'd be open to other positions, but on his terms.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

Those are some pretty fucking elite numbers. Those scores are quite a bit better than Roschon and 6’2.5, 180 is plenty good for him right now. He definitely looks bigger than I remember in that video

The trait that has stuck out the most to me about Card is his first step, which is Russ Wilson and Kyler Murray esq. Great trait for this offense. Glad to see the numbers back that up. 

Kimber separated himself from the other in-state corners this weekend. He was already easily the best corner right now, but he tested at a level where other previously assumed better athletes like Eaton, Rogers, and Crawford would be happy to test at. It seems like Bama might be the primary competition here. Take him if possible, and then go all in on Ringo, while keeping the others warm

Majors keeps getting listed as 6'4, while looking shorter than Parr in every picture. Majors getting pushed back a couple of times in these recent camps isn't too alarming to me in regards to my long-term view of his prospects, other than perhaps it lowers my expectations that he'll contribute meaningfully as a true freshman, although being an early enrollee helps there. He needs to work on his anchor, and adding bulk and strength will do wonders there, and luckily that's one of the easiest things to fix. He just needs some time in the weight room. Other than that, he has elite feet for the guard position, is very fluid and quick, and is nasty. 

Ja'Quinden Jackson is now talking like he's sold on being a QB, after telling people not too long ago that receiver was his preferred spot in college. I think he can be special as a runner at the QB position, especially in our offense. He also has a cannon. I'm just hoping he buys in and studies and works like other top QBs do before he gets to college; you have to live for playing the position. He needs a lot of work in regards to QB soft skills and becoming more advanced as a passer, but I think early in his career (likely after a redshirt season), he could factor in as a short yardage and endzone QB with an early Tebow type of package, and you can bring him along while slowly adding more to his plate. I like paring him with Card; the more good running QBs we have, the more we can obviously run them in games

Lindberg isn't a slam-dunk to Texas, and while I'd pick Texas today, it's important to have some backup options ready; Most Tyki of the Crawfords, Tosh Baker, Braun the Younger, Nate Anderson, and Chris Morris are all worth monitoring. 

• Like 4

Steve Wiltfong: Recruiting weekend at Stanford hits the mark

The Stanford football staff hosted key recruiting targets over the weekend in both the 2020 and 2021 recruiting classes. And if key family members couldn’t make it to campus, David Shaw and company just Skyped them in via robot. “The vibe was good,” Milton Academy (Mass.) Top247 running back/linebacker Kalel Mullings said. The robot reference pertains to him. “Ten to 15 recruits and our families. The highlight for me was sitting down with Coach Shaw in his office with my dad and my mom was on a robot Skype because she wasn't able to make the trip.”

The 6-foot-2, 220-pound Mullings was one of the more coveted prospects on campus holding close to 30 offers from many of the nation’s top programs. Near the top of his list is Stanford as he got a chance to sit in on running back meetings, watch practice and hang out with a few players as well. “The first thing is the academics,” Mullings said. “My high school is a feeder for Harvard and the other Ivy League schools. So a high-academic school is a priority. Stanford is always in the top five for academics on every list. They play in a Power Five conference. They are always in the mix for their conference championship, The coaching staff is stable.”

I logged a 247Sports Crystal Ball forecast in favor of Stanford for Mulling who is also mulling over the likes of Boston College, Clemson, Michigan and Notre Dame where he took visits to for games during the fall. Mullings is ranked by 247Sports as the nation’s No. 106 prospect regardless of position and another high-profile prospect on campus trending towards Palo Alto on the 247Sports Crystal Ball was Newport Beach (Calif.) Corona Del Mar receiver John Humphreys who checks in at No. 125. The 6-foot-5, 205-pound pass catcher seems to be at all of Stanford’s big recruiting days.

A pair of coveted offensive tackles were on campus in Littleton (Colo.) Columbine’s Andrew Gentry and League City (Texas) Clear Creek’s Chad Lindberg who ranked inside the Top100 as the No. 7 and No. 8 players at their position respectively. “I enjoyed my visit a lot,” said Lindberg. “The coaching staff gives off that family feel and the academics are unparalleled. Highlights would be spending time with the players like Trey Stratford, KJ Costello, and Colby Parkinson. I also enjoyed the recruits there. I bonded with Kalel Mullings.”

Other players who made the trip that the Stanford staff is keeping tabs on were in-state offensive tackle Jeffrey Persi who has 20 offers, Arizona linebacker/defensive end Jaxon Richards, safety Beau Brade who made the trek from Maryland and long snapper Bailey Parsons. The major target in 2021 was quarterback Tyler Buchner out of The Bishop’s School in La Jolla, Calif. 247Sports ranks him as the country’s No. 2 pro-style passer and No. 49 prospect overall.

“Stanford was fantastic as always,” Buchner said. “It’s almost impossible not to like. It seemed like the players really enjoyed it there and the staff was fired up for the season. The main highlight for me was getting to watch some film with Coach (Tavita) Pritchard. He’s a super smart guy and just from that short amount of time with him I learned a lot about the offense and their philosophy. Additionally, I also enjoyed talking to professors from Stanford as they were extremely intelligent and spoke very highly of the education.”

Persi went in-depth on his experience giving insight on what a visit to Stanford is like:

“The whole trip was really cool and the campus was amazing! It's so pretty around that campus and surprisingly quiet. I didn't realize how big it was as well. I got to spend a lot of time with Coach Carberry and really enjoyed the time spent. Coach is really cool and made me feel really comfortable as well. I also spent both days really watching him closely and how he coached the OL during both practices. He obviously knows what he doing but I noticed how involved he was with the guys. Definitely not the coach that stands back and barks orders! We had dinner with the players on Friday evening and I was asked by Drew Dalman & Foster Sarell to sit with them at their table. Both are awesome and answered a lot of the questions I had about the school and football program. After dinner I was invited by them both to hang out back at their rooms. We were joined by Colby Parkinson and decided to have a little game basketball just to have fun - Very fun! I didn't realize how much I'd relate to them all. I watch them play on TV and they just seem so grown up. But they're all so awesome to hang out with and made me realize what it would be like when I'm there in college. To be fair about my visits, they were certainly all unique and great in their own ways. However, having lunch on Sunday with eight or nine professors who all were from different areas of study was really cool. I got to hear them speak about their areas of studies, what type of professions they led to, what they felt about their student-athletes and how impressed they are with them and the focus and determination the athletes have to do what is necessary to be successful, and what it meant to them to support the athletes in every area they could possible do so. The only other visit I had to really sit down with a professor and talk was at my Cal visit, which was also great. But that visit was only with one professor versus the eight or nine I got to meet at Stanford. My Nebraska visit really didn't offer me time with professors. Every offer I've been fortunate to receive is very special to me, and I truly appreciate each and every one of them! An offer from Stanford would be amazing! I believe in what each student-athlete meant when they explained what it meant to be a ‘Stanford Man’ to them, and I could see myself fitting in there. However, I don't have an offer yet, and I understand that the process is unique in its own way, but I'm going to focus on the offers I do currently have and building the relationships with them. I know there were many athletes who have waited on the Stanford offer and felt let down when they didn't receive one. I honestly don't want to be in that situation and if it comes before I make my decision then I'll deal with it then. If it doesn't, I'm blessed to even be recruited by them. But I also believe when I make my commitment to a school, that commitment needs to be built on. I've always learned that when we give our word it means more than anything else. From that time on I'll work on building on to that relationship and getting ready to be an important part of the school. Overall I felt like I really clicked well with every athlete I was able to speak with, Coach Shaw, Coach Pritchard, Coach Carberry & Coach G! No doubt that Stanford is a special place and the option of walking away, after five years, with a co-term masters degree from Stanford is unbelievable.”

5 hours ago, Machinator said:

Latest IT post talks about him.

Reveal hidden contents

PARKER BRAUN

It wasn't shocking, but it was a bit surprising that Georgia Tech graduate transfer Parker Braun committed to Texas before departing for home. 

Texas getting the commitment from him is testament to the immediate action taken by Herb Hand to get in the Braun's good graces. As we reported, Hand was on the phone with Parker before Parker's parents even knew he was officially in the Portal (they knew he intended to transfer). Hand told him he'd see him soon and was on a plane two days later. Lunch in Atlanta opened up serious dialogue and ensured an official visit. The official visit was obviously knocked out of the park. 

What goes on during an official visit? Well, when an offensive lineman is involved you can bet on food. Parker was treated to authentic Austin fare, with BBQ and a visit to The Picnic food truck park. He was even made an omelette by resident chef Hand. 

While the food was great, the meat of the visit included academic and strength and conditioning programs. The visit with Yancy McKnight needed to be a slam dunk and it was.

With Braun slated to arrive in the early summer, the question now on everybody's mind is whether he'll play in 2019 or red-shirt in order to acclimate to the change in offense. Per sources it sounds like Parker prefers to red-shirt, however, if he's needed to start he likely will play. What does that mean? I'd bet on him playing next season. 

Another question is whether or not the staff will pursue his younger brother Joshua? Joshua is a high rated, 6-foot-6, 330-pound offensive tackle in the 2020 class. He reveres his older brother and will hear all about Texas. 

Joshua, like Parker, is very smart. He also plays *checks notes* varsity tennis. Could the younger Braun serve as insurance in the event Texas misses on one of its priorities? Speaking of which...

CHAD LINDBERG TAKES IN STANFORD

I caught up with Lindberg's mother, Emily, after they returned home from the Bay Area. I hate bothering parents and players after a long travel day but I was just as curious as everyone else about how their long anticipated trip went. As always, Emily was gracious with her time.

"We just got home. I think Stanford made his whole recruitment decision a lot harder. We had a great visit! I think we both thought the school was amazing! We really liked all of the coaches and staff. It’s just different. On the plus side, I don’t think you could be around a greater group of guys. They were hardworking, polite, respectful and smart. The facilities aren’t as great as pretty much any place we’ve visited (they weren’t bad by any means, just not as nice) but the education and opportunities are definitely the focus. I think it has given Chad a lot to think about. It’s going to be hard to turn down! Oh—one major negative-the plane ride on Southwest is not super fun for a big guy!"

That's about what I expected. What will be interesting is if some of the high wears off over the next couple of weeks. Probably not, and my suspicion is Texas is going to have to win a hard fought battle.

It seems Chad would prefer to make a decision before the season, but Emily isn't so sure that will happen. 

"No, not in a hurry to make a decision, but Coach Shaw was telling us that spring recruiting for the class that’s up that year gets crazy and suggested he give like a top 5 or 10 (or whatever number). I think he would really like to commit by the beginning of next season, but I wouldn’t count on that."

Still a lot of meat left on this bone but I don't think I'd trade UT's standing for Stanford's. 

ELITE 11 QUARTERBACKS 

Brad Wilson Stanfield is a quarterback trainer and the quarterbacks coach at Richmond Foster high school. He has trained 2020 Texas commit, Hudson Card, since Card was in junior high. He was in attendance at Sunday's Elite 11 and offered his thoughts on some of the guys who caught his attention.

Hudson Card, Lake Travis: Before I talk about anybody, what I’m about to say only has to do with a one day 5 hour evaluation on all these Qbs except Hudson of course. All of these young men are still growing and developing. Plus if you told me my son could be one one of these young men out there today I would say sign me up.

Card is easily one of the best across America there is no doubt. 4.0 shuttle and 38 inch vert are wow. Card is consistently accurate. We put in so many hours on biomechanics and accuracy from the end of 6th through 9th grade. Those are the biggest years to me. He has always prided himself on accuracy and decision making.

Chandler (Morris) and Card were the two who had the ability to consistently put it where they wanted, which has a lot to do with mechanics and confidence. They go hand in hand. (I mentioned questions of a long delivery for Hudson) They want to complain about his long delivery, go ahead. But I would also say watch his tape. When he needs to get it out quick, he gets it out quick. Mechanically speaking he does shoot his gun a little early with transfer of body weight which leaves some arm lag. However his mechanics are not hampered by that, he just loses some power output and it takes a bit longer coming out in doing so at times. We are scheduled to work on it this coming weekend with Adam from 3DQB In So Cal and with Tom House and crew. They have been good friends since Hudson was in the 8th grade and I had a Qb playing at USC. (I coached in So Cal for 5 years after Bama). The best trainers in the world (3DQB- they work with Tom Brady, Jared Goff, Matt Ryan) agree with me on Hudson biomechanically. Also Hudson is in one of the best programs in the country at LT so he is going to put on weight and get stronger. I don’t think there is any doubt the coaches at LT know what they are doing. He'll be fine. (I mentioned Card looks like he'll carry 210 and BWS agreed.) So the mechanics will get there, the weight will get there and to top it off, he comes from an unbelievable family.

Chandler Morris, Highland Park: Shocked me. He's pretty unbelievable. Extremely accurate. Drew Brees-ish already. I can't tell you the last time I was this fired up about a QB other than being biased to the ones I coach. Ran a 4.6 40 too. He just needs to get his body ready for the college hits he will take in the SEC. He has to do that for sure. Fits an RPO offense no doubt. Accurate and gets it out quick. He only struggled in some 'on the move stuff' in the end zone area. Was QB MVP of the camp. If he didn’t get MVP I would have been shocked. 

Ja'Quinden Jackson, Duncanville: My first impression of him, and I watched him throw the whole day, four or five hours or whatever it was. There's no doubt in my mind he's worthy of a shot at least first semester at QB. He has the ability, but is he going to put in the extra work the position demands within the next year and half before he hits a college campus? Does he have the consistency in his daily habits to own the position? Greg McElroy (Stanfield coached at Alabama while McElroy was there) had that where you put in all the necessary extra work. College work load and pace is not like high school. Quarterback is a different position with different requirements.

(Stanfield mentioned if Jackson goes to Texas that his pupil Card will have to work that much harder, but that's the nature of the game)

Haynes King, Longview: I met and talked to him a good bit. King is easy to fall in love with from a character and personality standpoint. Then you see his 40 time and you get even more excited. King is going to be the typical SEC QB, the only thing that makes him a little different is he's still growing and he is more athletic or faster than most SEC QB in the past- legit 4.4 4.5 guy I had him at a 4.4 hand time, they got him at 4.5 laser. 

In 3rd and long drop back situations when they rush King they'll have to maintain rush lanes with gaps/pocket integrity. He may need a spy and you're not going to get up-field rush on this guy and give him lanes. I couldn’t wait to watch him throw. Only thing I would suggest for him is to keep working with biomechanics inside his throwing motion. He can be a whipper at times. Which means, that energy transfers from the lower to upper half is more like a whip, rather than a bunch of proper sequenced motions strung together from the lower body no up. Whippers can be good college Qbs but it’s really hard to own the consistency you want with a whip. You could see it hurt his accuracy and confidence some today. Overall he has so many positives it’s easy to see why he's regarded the way he is today. If you told me my son would be a King, I would say sign me up yesterday already. Love his upside.

HUDSON CARD

Admittedly, I was eager to see the future Texas QB compete in this arena. On the field, we know what he can do. But how he measured up with the rest of the state's signal-callers was something I needed to see. 

At the end of the day, he was in my personal Top 3 - Morris, King, and Card. He was in Nike's Top 3 as well garnering an Elite 11 invite this summer at The Opening. At almost 6-foot-3, 180 pounds, the care-free Card had fun, got some coaching, and really turned it on during 1-on-1 sessions. The moment was never too big for the four-star dual threat from Lake Travis. 

From my eyes, he has a great release, ball spins tight and is very catchable. I was surprised by his deep ball accuracy. Add to the fact he's a great athlete, tough as nails, and you know now why Tom Herman prioritized him so early. 

I got to spend time with Hudson and his family last night and will have a stand-alone post on the Lake Travis quarterback this week. I arrived in Frisco with high hopes, I left Frisco with expectations met. 

JALEN KIMBER

When the Mansfield Timberview defensive back woke up Sunday morning, he had no clue he'd notch the highest Sparq score at the Opening regional in Frisco. He'd just returned from an UOV to Austin and was eager to compete with some of the state's best from 2020 and 2021. 

Then he tested; 6-foot, 170, 4.47 (40), 40.8 (vertical), 7730 watts (peak power), 4.00 (shuttle), and 37.0 feet (power ball). As we look and try to evaluate this year's in-state class of corners, Sunday might be the day Kimber separated from the pack. 

IT: "Did you know you'd be the fastest kid out here?" 

JK: "No...(laughing)..I've been training hard, but it was a surprise to me."

IT: "Does the Sparq score matter to you?"

JK: "At first, they didn't mean anything to me. But now, they do, because I've seen people ranked above me that I know I'm better than, so this kind of motivated me to keep grinding and do what I do."

IT: "How was the Texas visit on Saturday?" 

JK: "A lot fun. (UT) gave me a whole lot of scenarios on how I would fit in coverage wise and play early if I played there. (Coach Washington) put up plays I've made and what UT does is the same exact thing. They saw my zone, my man, they saw my press, they saw my off man, my tackling, and they like my length. We did the whole tour, photo shoot, checked out the dorms, athletic department, and at the end watched film with Washington. I like the way he coaches and the energy he brings. That really did something to me. I liked it. Not to mention the campus is beautiful. I like Texas a lot now. They jumped up a lot on my list."

IT: "What are you looking for in a school?"

JK: "Comfortability for me, and my family, and somewhere they can come see me play. Mainly, the relationships. That's a big thing for me."

IT: "Timeframe?"

JK: "I want to commit before my senior season." 

This recruitment is trending nicely for the good guys. 

JQJ 

Ja'Quinden Jackson commands your respect. The 2020 four-star athlete and signal-caller at Duncanville rarely speaks to the media. He isn't impressed by any of this. 

And when JQJ started warming up with the quarterbacks, it was a small statement that 'you won't tell me where to play.' At 6-foot-2, 220 pounds, this chiseled rock of stone looks bigger and stronger than when we watched him at the State Championship 

"I did alright today," said Jackson, who cracks a small smile. "I showed people I can throw. A lot of people tell me I can't throw, just run, but, I think I showed them a little bit. My stats speak for themselves."

Being the quarterback for 6A state runner up Duncanville is his main goal today. And getting to state in the 4x100 and 4x200 in track. 

"It's very important to me," Jackson explains. "I'm the leader of the team, and push everybody to be good, and go back to the state championship. I'd like to stick at QB in college. I don't do anything else but play QB." 

To ensure his opportunity at quarterback in college, he has to find a program willing to make that fit. He's found a few. 

"Texas and Oklahoma," Jackson said are the schools currently recruiting him behind center. As for other schools in pursuit, he declined to speak on that right now. This is a guy that keeps things close to the vest. 

But when asked about the Longhorns, he slowly opens up. 

"It really is a great school," said Jackson. "They have a great program, and they had a great season last year. They beat Georgia, which surprised me. They have a real good thing going on at Texas." 

There's no visits or camps scheduled. He'll start narrowing down his top schools list this summer, and release a Top 5 before his senior campaign. But Jackson does want to commit at the Under Armour Game in January. So this likely goes the distance. 

If he is or isn't a quarterback at the next level feels irrelevant at this time. I get the sense he'd be open to other positions, but on his terms.

06-BFFF5-C-EDFF-44-EF-AFF7-440-F7-BA8-E4

6 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Surly takeaway: Giles would rather chat up recruit edit-makers rather than actual recruits.

My takeaway-he is in contact with the recruits and they like him.  I didn't say he was a great recruiter, but he is a damn good dl coach, and a cool guy! 

Edited by Txsbigeasy1
  • Like 3

13 minutes ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

The timeline is definitely broken. Been saying this since Leicester City won the Premier League (the rough equivalent is Texas State winning a title).

The year where the traditional top 4-5 have off seasons...the best chance for my Spurs to shoot their shot and finally win something, and fucking Leicester comes out of nowhere.

• Like 1

The Stampede: Recruiting scoop from The Opening Dallas

— Elite 2020 athlete Ja'Quinden Jackson hasn’t made an official position decision, but he is leaning towards playing quarterback at the next level. Jackson has been working hard at the position behind the scenes and worked out at it at The Opening Dallas. Texas has been recruiting him as a pure athlete, but offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach Tim Beck has been very involved. Jackson is still very high on Texas but is continuing to take the process slow.

— If I had to pick a school that is the biggest threat to Texas, it would be LSU. It was always a childhood dream school for Jackson, and he is still extremely fond of the program. It also helps that LSU has moved up the list for his teammate and good friend Chris Thompson (Texas still holds the edge there). LSU just hosted him for an unofficial visit, which he really enjoyed. While Texas still appears to be the team to beat, the Longhorns are going to have to fight off Ed Orgeron and company. Jackson is still looking to make his decision at the Under Armour All-America Game.

— Four-star Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is completely locked in with the Longhorns. Both he and his mother, Cindy, have the same top priority — four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg. Cindy told me that she plans to talk to Lindberg’s mother, Emily, when they return from their trip to Stanford. Cindy and Emily are good friends and went out to eat together during the elite prospect day. Card is constantly working on Lindberg and will also catch up with him this week.

— I spoke to a quarterback trainer working the event and asked him about Texas targets. The trainer told me that Card has the mental makeup to be a multi-year starter at Texas. The trainer praised his work ethic, athleticism, accuracy and processing ability. He believes Card is the best quarterback in the state and likened him to Aaron Rodgers. The trainer said he loves Jackson’s arm strength and in the right system, he can excel at the quarterback position. The trainer added that Jackson still has some mechanical work to do but that the potential and arm talent certainly there.

— Both offensive line commits Jake Majors and Logan Parr are working extremely hard on the recruiting trail. Majors and Parr are both in a group text along with fellow commit Jaylen Garth and four-star targets Damieon George and Chad Lindberg. Majors plans to talk to Lindberg following his Stanford visit about why he decided to pick the Longhorns as opposed to heading West. The group text is very active as Texas looking to build a truly special offensive line class.

— Elite 2021 offensive lineman Tommy Brockermeyer has been considered the early leader for Texas. All signs point to Austin here, and we fully believe he will land on the Forty Acres. However, it seems like the family wants to see other schools since all they’ve known is Texas. Brockermeyer’s father, Blake, obviously played at Texas, but he is an assistant at SMU, which could take Tommy’s younger brother James. The two want to play together, so that may be a factor. But again, it’s tough to envision Brockermeyer not ending up on the Forty Acres.

— Elite 2021 wide receiver Quaydarius Davis recently said Oregon was at the top of his list, but I’m just not buying it. Davis is enamored with the idea of going out West and playing for a flashy team like Oregon, but I’m told he will likely stick closer to home, with Texas being the most likely landing destination. Davis has an extremely close relationship with assistant Ra'Shaad Samples, who also went to Dallas Skyline. Samples and Davis communicate at least once a week.

— We haven’t talked a ton about 2021 Allen wide receivers Bryson Green and Blaine Green. However, you should start to get familiar with them. Texas loves the Green twins early on, and they have high interest in the program. Both spoke highly of the UT staff and said they want to visit again soon. I also caught up with their father, who seemed to have positive feeling towards the program.

— How realistic is it that Texas flips five-star running back Jase McClellan from Oklahoma? Right now, I would say it’s pretty low. Yes, McClellan made a visit for elite prospect day, but it’s going to be tough with the Longhorns prioritizing five-star running back Zachary Evans. McClellan likely would have committed to Texas had they offered him first. His ties to the program are keeping the Longhorns in it. But I just think Texas is too invested in Evans to really make a dent right now.

— Texas is continuing to trend in a positive direction for four-star Highland Park defensive end Prince Dorbah. The Longhorns appear to be at the very top of his list with Oklahoma and Arkansas looking to make things interest. Dorbah told me Texas has done the best job recruiting him, and we’ve actually heard that contact with OU has been inconsistent since its change at defensive coordinator. Dorbah wants to take his time with the process, but Texas has an opportunity to really open up a big lead here.

— Texas hosted four-star cornerback Jalen Kimber for an unofficial visit this weekend. As we reported, Kimber said nothing but great things about the trip to Austin. Tom Herman and Jason Washington made it a point to spend a bunch of individual time with him and his father. Texas A&M looked like it was the clear leader going into the visit, but Texas has certainly made things interesting. We’ve also heard that Washington is doing the best job of staying in contact and building up their relationship. Notre Dame is also a factor here. The family is originally from Chicago and plans to visit soon.

— Texas is in a tough battle for both Jahari Rogers and Ryan Watts. Rogers is an Oklahoma legacy, and that’s going to be hard to overcome. He does have a strong relationship with Samples and loves the UT program, though. Watts would like to play with Rogers at the next level. If Rogers does land in Norman, that could swing the momentum in favor of the Sooners. They will visit OU for the spring game. Right now, we still feel decent about Watts and the Longhorns. Texas A&M is also in the mix for Watts.

— I spoke to a former Texas defensive back at the event and asked him about some of UT’s targets at the position. He told me that he absolutely loves Rogers’ length, athleticism and versatility. He added that Rogers will definitely be a cornerback at the next level. The former DB said he loves Kimber’s technique and testing times. But he shared the same concern that I do. He said that Kimber’s times don’t necessarily translate to speed and explosion on the field. If he can figure that out, he can be special. The source wasn’t very familiar with Watts, but he did note that he fully believes Darius Snow will be a Rover or even an inside backer at the next level depending on scheme. He said that wasn’t a bad thing as he believes Snow can be a great player at the next level.

13 minutes ago, satyanash said:

— Four-star Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is completely locked in with the Longhorns. Both he and his mother, Cindy, have the same top priority — four-star offensive lineman Chad Lindberg. Cindy told me that she plans to talk to Lindberg’s mother, Emily, when they return from their trip to Stanford. Cindy and Emily are good friends and went out to eat together during the elite prospect day. Card is constantly working on Lindberg and will also catch up with him this week.

Come on Cindy, we need you to work on Lindberg.

On Kelvontay Dixon: https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Kelvontay-Dixon-football-recruiting-junior-day-Arkansas-Texas-129718458/

Carthage (Texas) High School 2020 three-star receiver Kelvontay Dixon is coming off a huge junior season that saw him help his team to a 14-1 record and the Texas Class 4A Division I state semifinals.

Dixon, thought to be a running back or corner earlier in his high school career, has emerged as a playmaking receiver in a high-powered, multiple offense at Carthage, which has won six state championships since 2008. The 5-foot-11 1/2, 173-pound Dixon finished his junior season with 84 catches for 1,288 yards and 17 touchdowns as he averaged 15.3 yards per reception.

The 2018 season marked a bounce-back campaign for Dixon, who missed almost his entire sophomore year with a broken ankle. Dixon bounced back quickly from the injury to run the first leg of Carthage's Texas Class 4A third-place 4x100-meter relay team last spring. Since Carthage's season ended in December, Dixon said he's worked hard on improving his technique as a receiver.

"I'm just trying to get my footwork better," Dixon said, "and trying to get bigger."

Dixon owns offers from Arkansas, Baylor, Colorado, Oklahoma State, TCU, Texas, and SMU. Dixon visited Texas for a junior day event Jan. 19. SMU is his most recent offer, which came in early December. Dixon took unofficial visits in the fall to Texas (Sept. 22) and Arkansas (Nov. 10). He has another junior day planned this coming weekend.

"I'm supposed to go to one March 9 at Arkansas," said Dixon, who's being recruited by fellow East Texas native and Arkansas associate head coach Jeff Traylor. "He's telling me he wants me to be a Hog. He's a nice dude.

"I've been to a game and I liked it. I liked the coaches. Their attitude toward recruits and everything."

Texas remains an obvious school in Dixon's recruitment because of his connection to the Longhorns. Dixon's older brother is Keaontay Ingram, a 2018 four-star running back who gained 878 yards from scrimmage and scored five touchdowns during his true freshman season this past fall.

Dixon is frequently asked if he will wind up in Austin since his older brother is already on campus. Additionally, the 247Sports Crystal Ball sits at 100 percent for Texas on the five forecasts for Dixon made to date. What does Dixon say about speculation he winds up at Texas?

"It's a possibility, but I'm not for sure yet," Dixon said. "I'm gonna wait until the fall to take (official visits)."

The industry-generated 247Sports Composite rates Dixon as a three-star prospect who is ranked No. 86 overall regardless of position in the state of Texas for the 2020 recruiting cycle. However, he is considered a high three-star prospect by 247Sports, which ranks Dixon at No. 56 overall in the Lone Star State in the 2020 class.

Dixon has proven he can play a true receiver role, though he certainly can provide formation flexibility and personnel versatility for a coaching staff. He can line up wide or in the slot, while also showing the ability to line up in the backfield on occasion. He and four-star offensive tackle Ty'kieast Crawford give Carthage a pair of high-end prospects in the 2020 class.