Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

10 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Card looks as thick or ticker (thicc-er?) than Haynes King, who folks have become kind of enamored with as a potential "replacement" or QB2. Plus Card has an inch or two on him and better mobility. 

I dont get what the fuss is about.

Is Haynes King not 6'3? He was towering over 5'11-6' Marvin Mims.

16 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Card looks as thick or ticker (thicc-er?) than Haynes King, who folks have become kind of enamored with as a potential "replacement" or QB2. Plus Card has an inch or two on him and better mobility. 

I dont get what the fuss is about.

I agree. The kid looks solid enough in those videos. He has good zip on his passes and good touch when he needs it. He gets rid of the ball quickly. I haven’t seen enough games to comment on his decision making, but that’s the case with pretty much every QB available. He’s a hell of an athlete, too. Seems perfect for our offense. I think he’s a solid take, assuming he passes the hand test...

36 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Haynes is the same height as Hudson (6' 2.5") and 4 lbs heavier...

Edited by satyanash

Sometimes I have a tendency to just assume some of the stuff said about recruits on here is gospel, but the more I think about it, the happier I am with Card as the qb in this class.  In fact, if I had to bet who would have more college success, I'd take Card over Roschon Johnson.

His junior highlights are littered with perfect and difficult throws.  Rolling to his left at full speed and threading it over a linebackers head to a receiver on the sideline.  15 yard out to the far side of the field.  Corner route thrown perfectly in the basket.  And deep ball after accurate deep ball.  While I understand Garrett Wilson made Card look good, I found myself thinking Card made Wilson look good; particularly on the fade routes.  It goes both ways.

As great as Ehlinger's rushing TD's were this year, maybe bigger reason we finally had success for the first time in almost a decade was having a qb would could convert 3rd and mediums in the middle of the field or on slants.

11 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

But all the crystal balls are to aggy.  Including a Fong after the Clemson moral victory.

Oh noes. We'll see how his post-visit interviews sound.

In general I'm hoping as many as possible of that low-4 star CB grouping in Texas are good since it seems like a bit of a crapshoot.

1 hour ago, lemonandaturd said:

Card is going to be a stud.  He will be 6'3"  210 when he starts at Texas.  He will be what everyone thought Jarrett Stidham should have been.  Colt McCoy with a whip and just as accurate.  

comparing him to colt, eh?  bold. 

Hudson looks good.  I like the Stidham comparison.  Card has a pretty quick release and looks very very quick/agile for a QB.  The competition between him and Roschon is going to be a good one.  It's finally nice to have 2 good quarterbacks be able to RS, develop, and then compete for a starting position in the future.  Both these guys will have us in good hands.

Haynes King also looks really good.  LSU is going to get a good one.  He progresses through his reads, has a strong arm and is much faster than I anticipated.  He looks better than any shitty QB LSU has taken the last 10 years.  King can actually throw the ball accurately.  

1 minute ago, victory88 said:

Hudson looks good.  I like the Stidham comparison.  Card has a pretty quick release and looks very very quick/agile for a QB.  The competition between him and Roschon is going to be a good one.  It's finally nice to have 2 good quarterbacks be able to RS, develop, and then compete for a starting position in the future.  Both these guys will have us in good hands.

Haynes King also looks really good.  LSU is going to get a good one.  He progresses through his reads, has a strong arm and is much faster than I anticipated.  He looks better than any shitty QB LSU has taken the last 10 years.  King can actually throw the ball accurately.  

Is that important? - Signed, the SEC

I think he has great feet, balance “, and lower body flexibility. and he looks like he’s been adding good weight. He really pops on his film when he’s exploding out of his stance and run blocking, which he obviously doesn’t  get to do here.However, he definitely looks like he struggles with hand placement and initial punch in pass pro.
I still like him a lot as a prospect because a lot of the traits he shows can’t be taught nearly as easily as hand placement/technique, but he’s a good example of why OL scouting is tough. He’s been losing a lot of reps at these camps, however some small changes with his hands would probably shift a most of these reps from losses to wins.

I haven't watched enough of him to really agree or disagree, just going off of what I'd read and the handful of camp videos that have come out recently. Thanks for the insight. No doubt slight corrections can go a long way on the OL.

It's also worth noting that these camp drills are skewed towards the DL - they don't have to read and react to an offensive play, no chip/help, and no pads slowing them down.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, billfromlaketravis said:

Can somebody bring me in on the Card hand jokes? 

I like Card, but I hope the staff is quietly talking to Bryce Young. I'm sure Young is betting on a coaching change, but Southern California is wide open right now. 

Card has small hands.