Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Katfid54 said:
1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

Fine by me, but it would actually be impressive to witness a crowdsourcing that took effort. It's never happened. No poster with more than 100 +rep points has ever been crowdsourced.

Guys, I'm starting to think CTJ wants to get negged into oblivion.

Realtalk, though, the fact that Futureman and Derka both have thousands of points shows that your point might be true.  On the other hand, it might also show that different-ness is tolerated/appreciated on this site?

13 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

He’s trying to project an air of being on the rise, coming off a sugar bowl win against Georgia, we’re primed and ready for a run etc. He thinks replacing a coach is not worth the price of denting that narrative, and that if we can break through this year the momentum of the program will bring recruits along in its wake.   I mean he’s literally said when asked if there would be changes Why would I change anything.  

Well it appears the  recruits are not buying that pitch, and  he hasn’t realized that the sugar bowl has only caused other programs to ramp up their negative recruiting.

Edited by Not a Sock

6 minutes ago, Not a Sock said:

Well it appears the  recruits are not buying that pitch, and  he hasn’t realized that the sugar bowl has only caused other programs to ramp up their negative recruiting.

That's overkill. We're doing well at the positions we usually do with this staff and meh at our weak points. It's just that not as much has changed as we'd like.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Realtalk, though, the fact that Futureman and Derka both have thousands of points shows that your point might be true.  On the other hand, it might also show that different-ness is tolerated/appreciated on this site?

Maybe, but I think everyone seems to have forgotten what happened to Rocko.

31 minutes ago, Fud said:

Dixon can play inside WR, outside WR, or running back. Or probably even safety. We'll also probably see a jump in his athleticism two years removed form a major leg injury, and it's not like he wasn't already very athletic. 

KR and PR as well. Seeing that he ran a 10.71 and triple jumped 47'6" this year, I think we can say he's healed up well. He should've been in the boat within 5 minutes of the Mookie Cooper decommit. 

1 hour ago, closetojumping said:

I never referenced survival of the fittest. If guys like S2YB survive and thrive here, it's an indictment of the board's self-anointed and alleged ruthlessness in and of itself. This board is pretty soft, honestly. It saw a target of opportunity and took its shot. Fine by me, but it would actually be impressive to witness a crowdsourcing that took effort. It's never happened. No poster with more than 100 +rep points has ever been crowdsourced. Much of the bravado on this site facilitates a Magic Shell version of a fortress of savages. Tough, crunchy exterior that is easily cracked through into its hollow insides. 

Also, only a year-ish old. If the current rules had been around since 2008...

2 minutes ago, golfclap said:

KR and PR as well. Seeing that he ran a 10.71 and triple jumped 47'6" this year, I think we can say he's healed up well. He should've been in the boat within 5 minutes of the Mookie Cooper decommit. 

He should have been in the boat independently of what happened with Mookie. He's a player.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, golfclap said:

They probably want clarity with Achane first, and don't want to take too many receivers in this class. We might have to sweat trying to flip him down the road. 

Edited by Fud

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

They probably want clarity with Achane first, and don't want to take too many receivers in this class. We might have to sweat trying to flip him down the road. 

I just don't get the Achane thing. I mean, I'm sure you're right but Dixon is bigger, faster, and a better football player right now. He also has way more opportunity to be a contributor at various positions. As for flipping Dixon, if he commits to Arkansas they're gonna have to put BC, Washington, and/or Samples on his recruitment because Drayton vs. Traylor ... 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I just don't get the Achane thing. I mean, I'm sure you're right but Dixon is bigger, faster, and a better football player right now. He also has way more opportunity to be a contributor at various positions. As for flipping Dixon, if he commits to Arkansas they're gonna have to put BC, Washington, and/or Samples on his recruitment because Drayton vs. Traylor ... 

He's not faster 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's not faster 

I only know their track times from this season ... 

Dixon - 10.71 and a 21.7 LJ

Achane - 10.82 and 20.69 LJ

Dixon is 20 pounds on Achane and room to grow - while Achane has a tiny frame. 

They are both incredibly fast between the stripes - I just think Dixon is not only better now but has way more upside because he could play several positions. 

1 minute ago, golfclap said:

I only know their track times from this season ... 

Dixon - 10.71 and a 21.7 LJ

Achane - 10.82 and 20.69 LJ

Dixon is 20 pounds on Achane and room to grow - while Achane has a tiny frame. 

They are both incredibly fast between the stripes - I just think Dixon is not only better now but has way more upside because he could play several positions. 

They fucked around for forever for who knows what reasons (I default to arrogance, but who knows?), but they're now allegedly going to put the work in to get Dixon, irrespective of Achane. There was a notion that it might be too late because Traylor has been on the kid forever and has used the insouciance by Texas against them. It also doesn't help that Surratt has feelings for Herman in a very King/Fisher kind of way. Still, bloodlines matter to all of us. If they push all-in, like I've felt they should all along, maybe they can turn the recruitment back in their favor. 

There is some buzz that Achane might not really be that interested in playing college ball if he has a clear route for running track in college. That could also be bullshit from folks who have seen Burt stall out in football while running track and they don't want to deal with another guy like that. It's out there either way.

Just now, closetojumping said:

That could also be bullshit from folks who have seen Burt stall out in football while running track and they don't want to deal with another guy like that.

This explains the Bryce Foster recruitment.

8 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

It also doesn't help that Surratt has feelings for Herman in a very King/Fisher kind of way.

He's a big aggie who tried to push Ingram towards A&M

Edited by Fud

1 hour ago, Katfid54 said:

I wondered what you meant the other day when you said, "Bloodlines matter again" and specifically thought you might have been talking about Kelvontay.  I'm assuming now that the intention.

It’s pretty fucking obvious he meant Rogers to OU. Let the meltdown continue!

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

This explains the Bryce Foster recruitment.

I do wonder if any successful OL also competed in track? It really seems like the strength training and technique development required of an OL, would make it almost impossible to also do track and field. 

So Broughton has been covered a lot already, but he's definitely saying something at the Rivals camp. Writers for the A&M, Tech, and Arkansas sites as well as the Texas regional guy have put in their versions of CBs for him to A&M. Suchomel is saying that he isn't a silent but that "it's going to have to be a family decision if it's Texas" 

2 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s pretty fucking obvious he meant Rogers to OU. Let the meltdown continue!

I do wonder if any successful OL also competed in track? It really seems like the strength training and technique development required of an OL, would make it almost impossible to also do track and field. 

Jonathan Ogden did okay

• Haha 1

Just now, Bodacious Bevo said:

So Broughton has been covered a lot already, but he's definitely saying something at the Rivals camp. Writers for the A&M, Tech, and Arkansas sites as well as the Texas regional guy have put in their versions of CBs for him to A&M. Suchomel is saying that he isn't a silent but that "it's going to have to be a family decision if it's Texas" 

Translation: the parents like Texas more but Broughton has bought the schematic Kool-Aid. Leal 2.0, if true.

3 minutes ago, Fud said:

He's a big aggie who tried to push Ingram towards A&M

Mack Brown never had problems landing kids that played for him as an HC or OC. I agree he's not a big Texas fan, but some wounds are self-inflicted. Texas has buttfucked the Dixon recruitment and made it harder than it has to be. They did the same with White at LB this class and with the dude who went to OU in 2018's class. You're close enough to it. They have a habit of stepping on their dicks.

I've avoided ranting about the assistants lately, but part of the problem is that Herman has a bunch of yes-men around him and they won't tell him when he's being a narcissistic twit. One of the benefits of having some new help on the staff would be the chance that at least one of them will tell the fucking guy to get his shit together occasionally when he needs to do so. Some suspect that the reason Brewster wasn't recruited onto this staff is that Herman's threatened by the fact that Brewster speaks his mind. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Mack Brown never had problems landing kids that played for him as an HC or OC. I agree he's not a big Texas fan, but some wounds are self-inflicted. Texas has buttfucked the Dixon recruitment and made it harder than it has to be. They did the same with White at LB this class and with the dude who went to OU in 2018's class. You're close enough to it. They have a habit of stepping on their dicks.

I've avoided ranting about the assistants lately, but part of the problem is that Herman has a bunch of yes-men around him and they won't tell him when he's being a narcissistic twit. One of the benefits of having some new help on the staff would be the chance that at least one of them will tell the fucking guy to get his shit together occasionally when he needs to do so. Some suspect that the reason Brewster wasn't recruited onto this staff is that Herman's threatened by the fact that Brewster speaks his mind. 

I posted a bunch about assistants elsewhere and turned the recruiting thread into a shitshow, but my primary thought is that while not every position coach needs to be a Beck or Washington type of ringer who helps carry others' recruitments, at Texas they at least need to be Naivar or Hand who recruit at a Texas level for their respective groups; we especially need it at running back and defensive line, where talent is abundantly more important than technical teaching. I don't care as much at WR, because the area is flush with fungible talent outside of the handful of Waddle and Demas types, but we aren't paying up for them anyway. 

Anyway, I personally like Dixon a lot, but even if we fuck up his recruitment, we'll find someone who can more or less replace him. Maybe this Bunkley-Shelton Cali kid who's visiting next month? 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

Well if my past experience with similar individuals, Herman as you are describing is either going to defiantly throw himself on the sword refusing to change his ways, or he is going to suffer a humiliating defeat retreat home before quietly changing his methods. None of these paths are going to great for the fans and team to experience.

27 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

When is he going to be the type of narcissist that blames others for his failures and start throwing his assistants under the bus?