Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, but the two highly ranked linemen in question are going to Aggy. 

I'm guessing Aggy, no matter who the coaches are now, can sell Myles Garrett. Two DTs in the mid rounds this year isn't shabby, I guess. Also can tell the kid he's going to play exactly where he wants to play. 

I'm not ready to concede Broughton to aggy just yet. They all thought they were getting Ossai, too, and then we got a monster. Collins will be a Longhorn/Bama battle, but I think he ends up at Texas. When aggy gets too cocky, reality hits them. 

21 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

The football board is like taking the subway in the city. Every once in a while you the get the urge to get a dog from a street vendor and get on the train but as soon as you do you wonder what the fuck you were thinking. It's pure savagery. 

This board is the car service of boards. Stay away from the football board unless you are ready to be asked for money by a homeless tranny covered in their own urine. 

MY PEOPLE!  I'M HOME!!!

giphy.gif

8 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm not ready to concede Broughton to aggy just yet. They all thought they were getting Ossai, too, and then we got a monster. Collins will be a Longhorn/Bama battle, but I think he ends up at Texas. When aggy gets too cocky, reality hits them. 

Yah, I screwed up on giving aggy Broughton already. Gunna go back and edit that one.

Anyway, I do believe we can get there, but Herm's gunna have to cut some bait over there. 

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

Yah, I screwed up on giving aggy Broughton already. Gunna go back and edit that one.

Anyway, I do believe we can get there, but Herm's gunna have to cut some bait over there. 

Definitely. What will it take to get Giles help with recruiting, and/or just fire his ass? Same Drayton. Two wr coaches is ridiculous, and we have too much dead weight hanging around. Herman can't truly believe he has a great staff, can he? 

7 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Definitely. What will it take to get Giles help with recruiting, and/or just fire his ass? Same Drayton. Two wr coaches is ridiculous, and we have too much dead weight hanging around. Herman can't truly believe he has a great staff, can he? 

We'll see with Drayton. If he can hold on to Bijan, or pull something else, that could buy him some time. But I'm good blowing that one up.

Giles. He'd need some huge help. Plus coach. Plus Plus, but it doesn't balance out the recruiting of the top DTs thus far. 

4 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

We'll see with Drayton. If he can hold on to Bijan, or pull something else, that could buy him some time. But I'm good blowing that one up.

Giles. He'd need some huge help. Plus coach. Plus Plus, but it doesn't balance out the recruiting of the top DTs thus far. 

Couldn't agree more about Giles. Damn good coach, but AIDS in recruiting. 

I don't know what to think about Bijan. Part of me hopes he loves us enough to come, but Ohio State seems to have this weird aura. Their RB's outside of Elliot have been meh. We have everything he could want. A great depth chart, easy playing time, a team on the rise, and Ehlinger will be back for his senior season when Bijan is a frosh. 

Edited by Spider2YBanana

23 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

Love the attitude but I would not use Ossai as an example. We only have that monster here because of their coaching transition. 

21 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

I'm not a fan of hiring a 2nd DL coach for a 3man front scheme, Giles' help should come from the DC but ours might be the weakest recruiter on the staff.

• Like 1

We already have help on the staff in the form of BC and Samples.  Giles can coach.  If we're going to make a change we need to find a DL coach who can do both.  Where we need an additional coach on D is at LB given TOs larger responsibilities and his own recruiting challenges.

Eric Nahlin: Let's discuss that crazy Monday and reassess the fireworks

Things were going well after dropping a solid Scoop, but then five-star running back Bijan Robinson was said to be leaning towards Ohio State the day after taking his official visit to Texas. If that was true, that Robinson was leaning towards Ohio State immediately after visiting Texas, then the sound you hear emanating from the echo chamber was the death rattle for Texas. The rattle got a little louder when a Crystal Ball was made in favor of Ohio State. Curiously, but likely not coincidentally, this second prediction came in at the same exact time as the initial statement made on Twitter. This certainly furrowed the brow. Based not only what we'd heard post-visit for the Tucson native, but in previous months and the lead up to the official visit, we felt good to great about UT's chances. Here's what we wrote Monday.

We've chased down some rumors that we were embarrassed to even pose the question to the source but this wasn't that. We knew Rivals had exclusive access to a number of recruits and figured we'd hear some interesting things, but that rumor didn't compute and still doesn't compute with sources we checked in with on Monday afternoon. One source was somewhat surprised Robinson didn't make a public commitment while on the visit. Indeed, internally we had him on commitment watch. When another source was asked about who the silent commit was, he said, "I just assumed the running back." A prospect that is very interested in Texas and who spent time with Bijan while visiting another school they're considering said, "Bijan loves Texas." Yet another source had a very similar read to that of ours: essentially, Texas felt really good after the weekend and still felt they were the team to beat when he departed Bergstrom. There had been rumors of him giving a Texas silent but we can debunk those.

I find it really hard to believe that after hearing these things, plus what we reported on Monday and in the weeks and months prior, that he knew he was going to Ohio State immediately after visiting. He was far too engaged on his visit to Texas to have known he was going to Ohio State before arriving in Austin. Robinson, in statements made yesterday, made it sound like he's in no hurry to make a final decision. If that's true, it would be weird for him to give away his intentions to players and reporters. For now, we're going to hold-fast to our Texas prediction but urge the reader to proceed with caution. If we miss, it may be time to re-evaluate how we source information regarding out-of-state prospects. If we're right, and he ends up at Texas, some of you guys are going to have to re-evaluate how you consume information.

We've also been digging on Vernon Broughton, who I have accurately declared the biggest must-get of the cycle. The Cy-Ridge defender took his official visits in an order that did Texas no favors, when, after UT, he attended the fourgie of Texas hate: Arkansas, LSU, Ohio State, and A&M... Fortunately for Texas the staff was able to get Vernon back on campus between the Ohio State and A&M visits. Was that enough to rebut negative recruiting, both past and in the days to come? Inside Texas messaged with Broughton's mother late last night for comment. She's supposed to email us answers to our questions today. Her preferred method may seem impersonal and negative for Texas but this is how she wanted to handle questions last time when she gave some of most glowing post-visit comments we can recall. While we wait for her responses, we'll note the A&M optimism following Team Broughton's visit is much more reserved than Arkansas' a few weeks prior. Now, obviously A&M makes a lot more sense for the Broughtons, and the Aggie staff does a particularly good job of recruiting its front-four than it does other positions, but the A&M writer class isn't exactly saying this one is over.

Some time away from visits and letting things settle will have the Broughtons comparing each school rationally rather than emotionally. We're still predicting Texas to win out. Of course we could get a different feel after seeing her email but I doubt it.

Remaining Targets on Summer Timelines (reminder, there could always be a surprise and this doesn't include 2021 players):

We'll make this quick.

OL Chad Lindberg: Feeling good here. It makes too much sense for both parties. We think whatever hesitation Chad had towards Texas has waned and he could be part of the sizable group of July commitments.

LB Prince Dorbah: Feeling good here. His best fit on the football field is clearly Texas and the school suits him as well.

DB Chris Thompson: Feeling good here. He took the diligent, measured approach we knew he would but will likely decide in July.

DB Bryson Washington: Feeling good here. Texas did a fantastic job on his visit, particularly safeties coach Craig Naivar. Oklahoma has made this one more difficult than we anticipated but Texas should get the call on July 4th.

CB Kelee Ringo: It's been Georgia for a while now. Shame the next person who asks about him.

CB Jahari Rogers: Feeling good here for the head to head win versus Florida.

DB Lathan Ransom: We haven't written him off yet. Some guys will make it clear they're truly headed to one school over another but he hasn't done that. Again, on Ransom, he and Robinson are by no means tied at the hip. An astute observer said it's like the recruitments of Anthony Cook and D'Shawn Jamison. We're no longer predicting Ransom to Texas, we're just saying it isn't over.

July is going to be a good month for the class, though whether or not it will be great may be up for debate. It would be wise to wait and let things play out.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Love the attitude but I would not use Ossai as an example. We only have that monster here because of their coaching transition. 

That's true, but I still think their arrogance and cockiness shoots themselves in the foot far more often than not, which makes me think they're in for disappointment with Broughton. 

5 minutes ago, Stampeder said:

We already have help on the staff in the form of BC and Samples.  Giles can coach.  If we're going to make a change we need to find a DL coach who can do both.  Where we need an additional coach on D is at LB given TOs larger responsibilities and his own recruiting challenges.

Good call. Orlando can coach, but I'm not so sure he's even a good recruiter. He doesn't seem personable. Maybe it's his resting I'll kick your ass face 🤷‍♂️

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Goodman said:

I'm not a fan of hiring a 2nd DL coach for a 3man front scheme, Giles' help should come from the DC but ours might be the weakest recruiter on the staff.

Obvious lee we're better off having two receivers coaches and a tight end coach

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Newy25 said:

Stay away from the football board unless you are ready to be asked for money by a homeless tranny covered in their own urine. 

Seems like kind of a rude way to describe 6th Street, but it’s probably not far off.

33 minutes ago, Goodman said:

Doesn’t need to be a second DL coach necessarily. The new coach could focus on edge rushers, which could include B-backer to help Orlando out some too. That way we have 3 coaches for DL and LB, which is perfectly reasonable.

Really though, it doesn’t matter what position the guy coaches, just let him be an elite recruiter we can unleash on our top targets. Brewster’s coaches TEs for year, but he seems to land at least one 5 star DL every single year. Having total recruiting duds at RB and TE is doing the program no favors. 

Edited by Burt Macklin
  • Like 1

We've also been digging on Vernon Broughton, who I have accurately declared the biggest must-get of the cycle

Eric Nahlin has accurately declared Vernon Broughton to be the biggest must-get of this cycle, according to Eric Nahlin and his most accurate statement.

• Like 1

Just now, irishtexan said:

Eric Nahlin has accurately declared Vernon Broughton to be the biggest must-get of this cycle, according to Eric Nahlin and his most accurate statement.

i liked that one, too.

Reminds me of "Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."  Numbers 12:3 (written by Moses)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, irishtexan said:

I think that title belongs to Bijan at the moment. Broughton would be a huge loss, but we at least have quality fallback options. It is quickly becoming Bijan or bust at our already thin RB spot. We are getting a little bit more Drayton magic this cycle. Out of state 5 stars seem like the smart money gamble with Drayton at the helm. 

Edited by Vertigo

1 minute ago, Vertigo said:

I think that title belongs to Bijan at the moment. Broughton would be a huge loss, but we at least have quality fallback options. It is quickly becoming Bijan or bust at our already thin RB spot. We are getting a little bit more Drayton magic this cycle. 

Sorry, it was accurately reported by Eric. Once opinions are established as accurate, they become facts. You're wrong. Move along

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I think that title belongs to Bijan at the moment. Broughton would be a huge loss, but we at least have quality fallback options. It is quickly becoming Bijan or bust at our already thin RB spot. We are getting a little bit more Drayton magic this cycle. 

I would agree, a Jase flip seems unlikely and barring a breakout senior season from somebody in state, there's no elite RB talent left on the board

1 hour ago, Ricky's one-hitter said:

The 40 is a skill like everything else at the combine and not a true indicator of game speed. If he plays fast, idk that it will factor much into his draft stock. I don't disagree that he will need to play a little faster to go first round, but a year of game action will help there

Truth. Taylor Rapp ran a 4.77 and he went in the 2nd round.  I think in another year or two , Stearns will compare very favorably to Rapp. 

So let me get this straight, you guys just got a dude banned who was cutting his teeth learning how to post and actively engaged in the conversation? And then the S2YB rube shows up around the same time to remind us that word soup is a thing and you guys start actively engaging him in conversation to remind those of us who have put him on ignore that he exists? Yet you haven't actually done a fucking thing about remedying the site of his insipid shit when that would legitimately be a productive crowdsourcing? And then, AND THEN, you go all fucking elitist on the football board in the middle of that? 

Fucking solid work. I'm all for clubbing baby seals, but it would be more impressive to take down the manatee with 360 rep points that floats by this board to slow fart, groan, and generally get in the way.

• Like 5

43 minutes ago, satyanash said:

For now, we're going to hold-fast to our Texas prediction but urge the reader to proceed with caution.

Y'all hear that?  We need to proceed with caution!

If we miss, it may be time to re-evaluate how we source information regarding out-of-state prospects. If we're right, and he ends up at Texas, some of you guys are going to have to re-evaluate how you consume information.

And we might even have to re-evaluate how we consume information!  

• Like 1

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

So let me get this straight, you guys just got a dude banned who was cutting his teeth learning how to post and actively engaged in the conversation? And then the S2YB rube shows up around the same time to remind us that word soup is a thing and you guys start actively engaging him in conversation to remind those of us who have put him on ignore that he exists? Yet you haven't actually done a fucking thing about remedying the site of his insipid shit when that would legitimately be a productive crowdsourcing? And then, AND THEN, you go all fucking elitist on the football board in the middle of that? 

Fucking solid work. I'm all for clubbing baby seals, but it would be more impressive to take down the manatee with 360 rep points that floats by this board to slow fart, groan, and generally get in the way.

While you have a point, SWC made the classic blunder of whining about his rep total when it was low enough to hit -100 within minutes.

Edited by Huckleberry
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

i liked that one, too.

Reminds me of "Moses was a very humble man, more humble than anyone else on the face of the earth."  Numbers 12:3 (written by Moses)

"Both were running, but the other disciple (me, whom Jesus loved bestest) outran Peter and reached the tomb first."

Edited by KYHorn

15 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

So let me get this straight, you guys just got a dude banned who was cutting his teeth learning how to post and actively engaged in the conversation?

You clearly missed the post of his where he bragged about being an aggy and going back to texags to laugh about all the chaos he had caused on our board.

1 hour ago, UncleBuck said:

In what way is Giles a plus coach?