Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

24 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Anything to this?  Speculation it's Watts since he's buds with Rogers.  Maybe Henderson?  Assuming this is legit.

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Board/21/Contents/OU-commit-has-been-visiting-UT-secretly-133155843/

If I was to guess it would be either Nate Anderson or Michael Henderson.

Mike at Night: Robinson (Not a lot of new stuff here)

Spoiler

—When I spoke to sources this weekend about the Bijan Robinson visit, the feedback was incredible. Many times, sources are guarded when it comes to talking about prospects like him, but there was a lot of rave reviews on both sides after the weekend. So, imagine my surprise when I woke up this morning to a mini-meltdown on twitter regarding Robinson and Ohio State. With that in mind, I thought I’d use this space tonight to assess the situation.

—It’s not uncommon for multiple schools to feel confident about a prospect. A lot of what is being reported today didn’t line up with what I was told this weekend, but other reporters are getting their information from different sources. From what I was told, Texas was best able to sell the depth chart for Robinson, and Austin had the right mix of everything he was looking for. I reported in the past week that Ohio State was a concern after his official visit there, and it seems this is now a two-horse race.

—I reported yesterday that I was hearing Ohio State would probably be the pick for Robinson’s teammate Lathan Ransom. I did some checking today, and Ransom hasn’t given Ohio State a silent commitment from what I can tell. Still, I think the Buckeyes are in prime position coming out of the visit. The interesting thing I’ve been told is that Ransom and Robinson won’t influence the other. While that mantra has been repeated to me multiple times, it’s hard to imagine the two don’t talk compare notes.

—Robinson likes to lay low. He doesn’t even use his twitter, and he’s not really about the spotlight. I’ve got some people who are in Atlanta checking on some rumors for me, so I’ll figure out where things stand on that end. We’ll be able to speak with some sources next week at The Opening to add some more detail to it. The die is pretty much cast with the dead period setting in, although coaches can still have contact with recruits. This one will likely play out over the next month, but I can say there was a lot of confidence in Texas when Robinson left campus.

• Like 2

Just want to make sure I am up to date on the latest shit. Bijan likes Texas; Bijan likes Ohio State. Your guess is as good as mine where he ends up?

I also particularly like that he has his little birds in Atlanta, waiting to report back. Master of fucking Whispers!

The only other thing worth noting is before you get to excited or upset about landing/missing on a top prospect, there's a >50% chance they end up being shitty or transferring or both. Take the 2016 "errbody" class for example. 

Brandon Jones - stud

Jeffrey McCulloch - solid

Erick Fowler - transfer

Jordan Elliott - transfer

Jean Delance - transfer

Chris Daniels - transfer

Shane Buechele - transfer

Collin Johnson - stud

Andrew Fitzgerald - bust

Kyle Porter - bust, transfer

Eric Cuffee - bust, transfer

Denzel Okafor - solid

D'Andre Christmas-Giles - bust

Reggie Hemphill-Mapps - transfer

Lil'Jordan Humphrey - stud

Chris Brown - solid

Marcel Southall - bust, transfer

Demarco Boyd - bust, quit team

Malcolm Roach - stud

Gerald WIlbon - solid

Davion Curtis - bust, transfer

Tope Imade - TBD

Peyton Aucoin - bust, transfer

Zach Shackelford - stud

• Like 2
  • Fuck You 2

1 minute ago, 6th Street said:

The only other thing worth noting is before you get to excited or upset about landing/missing on a top prospect, there's a >50% chance they end up being shitty or transferring or both. Take the 2016 "errbody" class for example. 

Brandon Jones - stud

Erick Fowler - transfer

Jean Delance - transfer

Chris Daniels - transfer

Collin Johnson - stud

Andrew Fitzgerald - bust

Denzel Okafor - solid

Chris Brown - solid

Malcolm Roach - stud

Gerald WIlbon - solid

Tope Imade - TBD

Zach Shackelford - stud

Acting as if a class recruited by the most incompetent coach in this school’s history that experienced a coaching change one year in is representative of regular hit/bust rates for highly rated prospects is, well, pretty much what I’d expect from you.

• Like 5

25 minutes ago, Sejjr said:

Just want to make sure I am up to date on the latest shit. Bijan likes Texas; Bijan likes Ohio State. Your guess is as good as mine where he ends up?

I also particularly like that he has his little birds in Atlanta, waiting to report back. Master of fucking Whispers!

The other hard hitting insight today: Giles was spotted at the pool party sitting on his ass, not doing shit.

16 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

Brandon Jones - stud

Erick Fowler - transfer

Jean Delance - transfer

Chris Daniels - transfer

Collin Johnson - stud

Andrew Fitzgerald - bust

Denzel Okafor - solid

Chris Brown - solid

Malcolm Roach - stud

Gerald WIlbon - solid

Tope Imade - TBD

Zach Shackelford - stud

Not a good example since most of them transferred due to the coaching change. 

4 hours ago, mr. sunshine said:

For those who have actually visited is Columbus or Tuscaloosa a bigger shithole?

I’ve driven through Baton Rouge and College Station too many times to count unfortunately so I’ll count those as visits. Was at Pyle Field in ‘95 though. That was a nice visit 

Prefaced with the fact my mom is from Ohio...

They're both really fun college towns in different ways. C-bus wishes it was as cool as Madison but is still fun, and as a football player it doesn't really matter.

Never been to Tuscaloosa but I mean, shit, it's Bama. The program speaks for itself and my Ole Miss brother says it's wonderful except that the gameday atmosphere is too angsty and serious (like a loss would end their world), which the players are probably fine with.

13 hours ago, Sejjr said:

This right fucking here. Jesus H. Christ...we spend half of the posts on this forum lambasting the 9.95ers for their dipshittery, then react like it is some sort of scripture when a couple of "crystal balls" come in against Texas?

Fuck those clowns. They know nothing. You are all better than they are. 

I can't think of a better reason to commit to a school than having the head coach take you fishing.  Just imagine how many times you'll get to go fishing with him over the next four years!

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Beau Vine said:

I can't think of a better reason to commit to a school than having the head coach take you fishing.  Just imagine how many times you'll get to go fishing with him over the next four years!

I dunno. Going fishing with a man seems to me to be about as good a way to get a good handle on his character as any.

I can’t believe you think that would be his reason for committing to A&M.

Card should have been on top of this. Shit, if someone would have asked, I could have put a shark in my saltwater pool for him.

2 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's actually quite easy to negatively recruit DL against Texas simply because the 3 man front is less favorable for production.  

It doesn’t help that the nfl ignores the big12 DL of the year twice in a row while sec DL are drafted early and often. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

It's actually quite easy to negatively recruit DL against Texas simply because the 3 man front is less favorable for production.  

Something that has really slowed down Bama, Georgia, and LSU 

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

14 minutes ago, 6th Street said:

This is such a load of bullshit. Other big time programs do it fine, and additionally, the NFL is shifting in this direction with linemen with diversity to play all over the line. The fact of the matter is this scheme is more than capable of punching out DL that play in the same college system as many NFL teams would place them. We can't seem to fix the fact that the NFL ignores our players on draft day, but don't blame the fucking scheme fit for these players, unless you want to rationalize how other programs manage to do this just fine.  

Edited by SydneyCarton
  • Like 4

3 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

This is such a load of bullshit. Other big time programs do it fine, and additionally, the NFL is shifting in this direction with linemen with diversity to play all over the line. The fact of the matter is this scheme is more than capable of punching out DL that play in the same college system as many NFL teams would place them. We can't seem to fix the fact that the NFL ignores our players on draft day, but don't blame the fucking scheme fit for these players, unless you want to rationalize how other programs manage to do this just fine.  

Not sure if this was meant to be an indictment of the current regime or the two previous.  In my view, we'll fare quite a bit better on draft day next year and definitely the ensuing years.  We're on the right track on that front.

16 hours ago, closetojumping said:

The Bleacher Report, from Matt Hayes of all people, will be shown to every recruit that considers ATM over the next few years, and folks familiar with Fisher don't really see much at this point to think he's on some sort of other trend at ATM than what he did at FSU after Winston. 

in case people are curious this is the article i think CTJ is referring to (please correct me if this isn't the case)

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2841875-the-mess-jimbo-left-inside-fsus-fall-and-willie-taggarts-plan-to-rise-again

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Stampeder said:

Not sure if this was meant to be an indictment of the current regime or the two previous.  In my view, we'll fare quite a bit better on draft day next year and definitely the ensuing years.  We're on the right track on that front.

Next year probably wont be a whole lot better than the previous two years. 2021 will be a different story, but there's a lot of recruiting that will happen between now and then.