Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Just now, Newy25 said:

Well its certainly early but if all of your top players commit somewhere else it does not really matter how much time is left in the cycle. 

And this happens to us when exactly? Tom goes after the highly rated guys early so of course we have to deal with the highs and lows. We haven’t even seen the guys that emerge during their senior season. Not mention we make some of the best evaluations in the country regarding sleepers. Oh, and we have yet to even play a game of football yet which will show a top 5 QB and one of the most talented rosters in all of CFB. How long have you been following Texas recruiting? 

• Like 5

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

And this happens to us when exactly? Tom goes after the highly rated guys early so of course we have to deal with the highs and lows. We haven’t even seen the guys that emerge during their senior season. Not mention we make some of the best evaluations in the country regarding sleepers. Oh, and we have yet to even play a game of football yet which will show a top 5 QB and one of the most talented rosters in all of CFB. How long have you been following Texas recruiting? 

You are really out of your element here. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

8 minutes ago, USMCHorn said:

I refuse to meltdown in fucking June. Give me a fucking break guys.

I agree.  Let the season play out.  Goat humper is going to get destroyed this year.  L's to clemp, bama, jawja, auburn, mis st., and lsu at a minimum.  I think we have a very good season, may make the playoff.  If this happens, we will cherry pick aggy.  

Herman and Co. have made a fast climb out of the strong/perrin swamp.  We run some weird O and D so we aren't going to get all the conventional guys.

1 minute ago, USMCHorn said:

Long enough to recognize a trend line.

Lol, oscar fucking giles does it again!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Wait till Collins goes to ‘bama. 

Just now, SydneyCarton said:

Lol, oscar fucking giles does it again!!! Hahahahahahahahahahahahaha!! Wait till Collins goes to ‘bama. 

We run a 3 man front, relax.  We had a WWF wrestler for a DE last season.  Wait til we are able to play man on the corners and pin some ears back.  We'll be getting plenty of edge rushers and run stoppers.  We have a nice path to the Playoff.  If blowjob doesn't get hurt up to speed, they may not make the championship game.

7 minutes ago, SydneyCarton said:

Two Top 3 classes back to back is not a trend line? C’mon, how many bad recruiting classes have we had in the last ten years (arguably the worst 10 year stretch in Texas Football history)?

My argument isn’t that Giles or Drayton aren’t liabilities, just that we tend to do well overall when it comes to getting talent players. We’re still recruiting at a incredibly high level and I don’t see anything that will change that outside of poor on-the-field performance, and hell, we’ve even done well recruiting even given poor performance for the last decade or so.

Edited by USMCHorn

7 minutes ago, Fud said:

The concern is if Texas is overly confident on some of these top targets like Bijan and Broughton 

Yeah, I always appreciate a good ctj update, but Texas feeling good about a certain recruit and said recruit favoring someone else are not mutually exclusive...  especially given the position coaches involved for many of them.

Edited by Chuckie Finster
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Harry Ellis said:

What the fuck else do Giles and Drayton have to do to show they're absolutely useless recruiters? You can add useless coach to Drayton too. As soon as the season ends, Herman needs to embrace his inner Selina Meyer and send these dudes packing.giphy.gif

imgur>

tumblr_nbhq6jE5NB1qmoqlto5_r1_250.gif

tumblr_olf4cyuKlM1tbar9bo1_500.gif

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

Last year we lost out on Leal but got Sweat.  That is a wash. If we lose Broughton, then go hard for Oxendine and Fillinger.  

I’ve always laughed when people compare this place to Texags 

then I read that statement. Wow 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

Last year we lost out on Leal but got Sweat.  That is a wash. If we lose Broughton, then go hard for Oxendine and Fillinger.  

When Leal's weirdly terrible and Sweat's dominating midyear hudls came out, I was leaning towards this. But then his final hudl showed that he was easily the best prospect in the state, followed by a dominant all American practice week, and then enrolling early (of course, he missed the spring due to injury)

I was as high as anyone on Sweat, and thought he was around 10ish in the state. But it wasn't quite a wash, imo. 

8 minutes ago, Fud said:

The concern is if Texas is overly confident on some of these top targets like Bijan and Broughton 

4 minutes ago, Chuckie Finster said:

Yeah, I always appreciate a good ctj update, but Texas feeling good about a certain recruit and said recruit favoring someone else are not mutually exclusive.  

Has anyone here ridiculed their overconfidence with recruiting more than me? I'm hard-pressed to think of anyone. What I posted comes with that filter, from my end and theirs. This isn't like Brewster, who believes he's landing everyone he targets until they "flake out" on him 5 minutes before ascending the podium when they pick whatever school isn't his own.

That considered, yeah, I'm interested in seeing how this shakes out. Obviously Suchomel being there lends credence to his position, but I've seen too much Orangebloods incompetence and corruption over the years to give him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, lemonandaturd said:

A couple of years with Yancy as opposed to a couple with the BBQ chef in College Station may change your mind.  We shall see.  

We're talking about Leal and Sweat as prospects, before Jerry Schmidt gets a chance to fatten up Leal to unimaginable proportions.

Edited by Machinator

2 minutes ago, Machinator said:

We're talking about Leal and Sweat as prospects, before Jerry Schmidt gets a chance to fatten up Leal to unimaginable proportions.

I saw that pic of the aggys.  Looked like a bunch of dudes standing next to the dr. pepper dispenser at racetrac.

Just now, lemonandaturd said:

I just choose not to be fully aligned with the meltdown.  

Nah. You’re just choosing not to accept reality, like the aggys we make fun of on this site. 

Leal was a better prospect than Sweat, regardless of whether UT is better at developing prospects than A&M, and landing Sweat doesn’t make missing on Leal a wash. It wasn’t a mutually exclusive proposition. Leal was a big miss, plain and simple. There’s no sugar coating it. 

• Like 1

I think the NCAA football video games were the most realistic football related games ever made. When you would recruit you had to choose a pitch and then see how the prospect reacted to it. Apparently we should have selected the "go fishing" option for Broughton, because from what I hear he fucking loves fishing more than anything and as soon as Jimbo gave him a rod and some worms he was going to be an Aggie. Rumor was that Giles was planning on taking Broughton deep sea fishing, but due to some comical mishaps that I won't recount here the boat sunk and Giles ended up on an island with a volleyball that was his only friend until Arkansas offered and then the volleyball left. 

• Like 6
  • Haha 3

1 hour ago, Fud said:

Right. If you're only landing a few of the tough battles for elite targets every year to go with the handful of given elite prospects who are Texas locks, and filling the rest of the class with solid eval prospects, then you're probably closer to the Washington, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Stanford, etc of the world than the Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Urban's Ohio State, etc. 

Fuck Georgia.

• Like 1

Well, I don't know what I was expecting when I decided to visit this thread this afternoon, but based on some conversations I'd had earlier, it certainly wasn't this absurdity. I debated just clicking out, but fuck it, I like being contrarian. It will be interesting to see how it sorts itself out.
Texas feels good about:
  • Dorbah
  • Rogers
  • Collins
  • Johnston
  • Washington
  • Robinson
  • Thompson Jr
Obviously they're apparently alone in the belief that they will land Robinson based on today's updates from steadfast recruiting wizards Jason Suchomel and Mike Farrell. I'm fairly certain the stuff I relay here has a far higher hit rate than Suchomel over the past decade+. This is that lazy fuck's first time to meet many of these guys. Anyway, the issue remains that at some point, Robinson has to pick up the phone and commit to his position coach somewhere. If that happens with Drayton, it will be the first time he's gotten one of those calls while at Texas. 
They like where they stand with Broughton as well. 
No one has a clue what is happening with LB besides the Scott kid out of DFW and the ongoing (futile, IMO) pursuit of White. 
Umanlymainlyman is a who knows? recruitment, which doesn't sound good. 
Ty Jordan is back in favor of being TB2. 
If the sequence was Lindberg then Karic, Texas could take 5. If that is inverted, they take 4, and if they can only land one, they probably stop at 4. 
Heard nothing about Utah, Missouri or Kentucky DLs, and asked. 
They'll stay on Mookie. 
Bloodlines could matter all of the sudden again.
They like where they stand with Wilson, but it's a long hustle. 
Unless something cool pops up in the fall, not sure there's going to be a TE in this class. Something could pop up at LB as well. 
The Bleacher Report, from Matt Hayes of all people, will be shown to every recruit that considers ATM over the next few years, and folks familiar with Fisher don't really see much at this point to think he's on some sort of other trend at ATM than what he did at FSU after Winston. 
I'll post on the FB board about what the buzz is on the current roster including the new freshmen. 
Sorry for partying? I think plenty here no I'm no sunshine pumper. Now I'm interested to see if Suchomel and crew are actually closer to the truth than anyone else or ... not. 

Admit it. You were just hunting for some rep points. Ok. You get ‘em.

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

But you don’t have to go full retard in the process. 

So you think Leal is so superior to Sweat as a prospect that it makes anyone who thinks the gap is not that great a retard?  I guess  Daylon Mack was vastly superior to Poona Ford as a prospect as well.   

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, lemonandaturd said:

So you think Leal is so superior to Sweat as a prospect that it makes anyone who thinks the gap is not that great a retard?  I guess  Daylon Mack was vastly superior to Poona Ford as a prospect as well.   

It's more like we had the chance to land both and it was not an either-or proposition.