Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

While futureman is clearly an idiot in addition to being a troll, he is still infinitely preferable to the kinds of mouth breathers who waste bandwidth for aggy. As for Hank Scorpio, the day an aggy is as clever as Hank is the day we see Tonya Harding win a Nobel Prize in physics.

this one hurts me the most. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Not a single pick for Broughton to aggy and the best thing Texags can say is that he is posting pics from his OV which every recruit in America does on a visit and we are in meltdown mode?  Sounds about right.

La Tech just went up 7-0

1 hour ago, Walden Ponderer said:

While futureman is clearly an idiot in addition to being a troll, he is still infinitely preferable to the kinds of mouth breathers who waste bandwidth for aggy. As for Hank Scorpio, the day an aggy is as clever as Hank is the day we see Tonya Harding win a Nobel Prize in physics.

giphy.gif&f=1

• Haha 1

Thompson's shush is interesting. How can the nervous Nellies panic about that?

17 minutes away from the Dead Period if it's based on Eastern Time. You can do the math for the other time zones. I think maybe this thread needs the break more than the players and coaches.

I'm a dumbass when it comes to recruiting, but I'm feeling good about the class.

Mike Roach: Four-star cornerback Jahari Rogers recaps Texas official visit

Jahari Rogers took his final official visit. The four-star cornerback from Arlington high school took previous trips to Florida and Arkansas, and Texas was last on his agenda. Rogers visited Austin several times during the spring, but the chance to see Texas on an official visit showcased the program. “It was good,” Rogers said. “I really enjoyed myself.” There are a lot of bells and whistles on an official visit. While many kids enjoy the facilities or the dinners, Rogers said he enjoyed the time he spent hanging out with players on the team.

“The players really showed me a good time,” he said. “They actually told me certain things I needed to know.” Rogers was hosted by Texas defensive back D'shawn Jamison. Rogers said Jamison was a great host, and the way he was treated left an impression on him. “I was with Jamison,” Rogers said. “He was cool. He really showed me what was so cool and unique about Texas. He showed me the different things to do, and he treated me like I was a player.”

Now that his official visits are done, Rogers can take some time to talk with his family and make a decision. He has a busy week coming up with The Opening finals, but he’s looking at making his commitment sometime after that event. “I’m looking at making my decision in the middle of next month,” Rogers said. At 6-feet, 170 pounds, Rogers is ranked as the No. 10 cornerback in the nation and No. 27 overall prospect in Texas, according to 247Sports Composite.

9 minutes ago, ausjala said:

The Surly needs the next 3 weeks . . . chill

Please this forum takes no news as bad news. This is going to be terrible. The next three weeks will be endless bleating about the recruiting ability of Giles, Orlando, Warehime, and Meh. There will be some discussion as to how the coaching aptitude of the first two make them worth keeping with the latter being a major plus despite his recruiting flaws. There will be calls for coaches being fired. There will be complaints about FWK and 7v7 and god knows what else. This will all be without the good news that sometimes breaks up this beating of a thread while we're in a decent place.

• Like 7

6 hours ago, SquishMitten said:

The pictures are meant to imply he’s “putting Texas behind him” in case that message was lost

I see it as sc saying "you can still represent Texas in southern California." It's very dirt burglar esque and requires aggy like logic to completely understand, which is why simple minds like ourselves cannot comprehend the matter. 

Bold strategy, indeed. 

4 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Please this forum takes no news as bad news. This is going to be terrible. The next three weeks will be endless bleating about the recruiting ability of Giles, Orlando, Warehime, and Meh. There will be some discussion as to how the coaching aptitude of the first two make them worth keeping with the latter being a major plus despite his recruiting flaws. There will be calls for coaches being fired. There will be complaints about FWK and 7v7 and god knows what else. This will all be without the good news that sometimes breaks up this beating of a thread while we're in a decent place.

Sounds like business as usual. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Throw in some bad mom jokes and some stanford talk and you've just described the perpetual cycle of this thread.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, UncleBuck said:

I've never really looked up the dead period rules until now. I guess I didn't know players can still talk to coaches on the phone etc..., and I didn't see anything that said they can't commit. 

Is this the correct info?

Players can initiate the contact.  Coaches can't.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

Honestly, me knowing the words from the theme song is about as deep as my knowledge goes.  That show was fucking terrible.

agreed.  Few of the marines i was stationed with would watch the show and I gave it a shot a few times. It was terrible.

• Like 1

IT

By: Justin and Eric

Recapping an aptly named Heat Wave in the ATX.

- BIJAN. The biggest, most important offensive recruit in the class of 2020 was on campus for his official visit. The Salpointe Catholic (AZ) five-star running back and his family took in the sights and sounds of the Longhorn life. Texas needed to stay the course, or perhaps even improve its posture, and from all accounts the staff did just that. Robinson’s family is the most important thing to him and their blessing is required to get his signature. I think USC gave Bijan something to smile about. I think Ohio State gave Bijan something to think about, and Texas gave him somewhere to call home. Bijan was highly engaged and every bit as interested about campus and school life as he was football. Taking a look at him, it's no surprise he wants an S&C program that tests him and he really likes Yancy McKnight. The number one football selling point we can gather is the 2019 plan to use running backs. You haven't seen much of it, but we've definitely told you about the plans to use Whittington. Robinson is able to see it for himself via practice footage. Being a dynamic threat who is moved around has piqued his interest. Robinson might have been the last player to leave Moncrief on Saturday after a long visit with Herman. Texas needed a great visit to stem momentum from previous weeks and we're still confident Texas has done enough.

With his teammate, Lathan Ransom, being predicted left and right to Ohio State after his weekend official visit to Columbus some are fearful Robinson will join him if Ransom does make the call for Ohio State, but we've never played up the teammate angle for a reason. They're not a package deal, they're not even consensus building from what we can tell. If they end up at the same school that staff did a great job of recruiting them independently. A little more on Ransom below.

- WILSON! Five-star Calabasas (CA) wide receiver Johnny Wilson was back for his second round of visits after a previous unofficial visit two weeks ago. Texas answered a lot of questions and perhaps pushed some of the right buttons. He lives with his mother and grandparents, all of whom really enjoyed the two-day trip. De’Gabriel Floyd is the gift that keeps on giving; word is his family has been helpful in making Wilson’s group feel at home. Right now, it’s an Oregon-Texas battle. Both pushed back the official visit dates until later in the year. Wilson is the type of kid that his family could follow him in the future. So hitting it off with them and selling Austin is part of the reason UT has a better-than-average shot here. It may be the story of the weekend but now this recruitment will likely go a bit dormant for a while with relative news.

- The 2020 Secondary Haul. Texas landed John Tyler four-star corner Kitan Crawford on Friday night, inched closer to Arlington four-star ATH Jahari Rogers, and might’ve won over C.E. King four-star safety Bryson Washington. Too bad Ransom didn't visit this weekend, imo.

It’s been Texas by a mile for Kitan Crawford, roughly since his first visit in February. He also attended the first spring practice of 2019. On his official, he just had a few final questions for CB coach Jason Washington, Co-DC Craig Naivar, and HC Tom Herman. Those were answered within hours of his arrival. After Crawford gave Herman the word, his head coach, Ricklan Holmes, was more excited than Kitan, a quiet, reserved 17-year old who “just wanted to go to Texas.” Holmes spreads the word and Crawford earned his spot. Ahem.

The feedback with Jahari Rogers was positive from people around the program, especially his time spent with Michael Huff. We still feel confident it’ll be Texas for the Arlington High product, but he wants to announce after July 4th, which coincidentally (?) is the date reserved for....

- Bryson Washington, the head-hunting DB from H-town has been vocal this will be a Red River decision. OU got the first official and took the lead. UT got Washington back on campus two weeks ago for an unofficial with Hudson Card and the crew. That might’ve evened the odds. The final act was Bryson on campus for his official this weekend. A very productive, informative trip for Washington, who wants to major in criminal justice. With his impending announcement soon, there should be burnt orange fireworks when he declares.

- RANSOM. Not the 90s movie flick with Mel Gibson and Rene Russo, even though Gary Sinese would make a good Ryan Day. The Salpointe Catholic (AZ) stud safety, Lathan, made his last official trip to Columbus over the weekend. All post-visit reports are glowing, and it’s not surprising. Many think it came down to Texas and Ohio State after LSU snagged the early momentum. I’m waiting to catch up with Ransom, but I’d pump the brakes on this being over until further review. He’s targeting a July decision, but even then, I still think Texas gets him back on campus this season.

- PRINCE AND THE NEW GENERATION. The Highland Park prospect took in Austin last weekend, dropped a “culture like none other,” quote on us, then hit Los Angeles (USC) a few days later. At this moment, all signs point to Texas for Prince Dorbah.

An OU site accidentally posted he was already a UT commit on Sunday evening, which prompted the “I am NOT COMMITTED,” tweet later in the day. The four-star linebacker would be a fit in many ways on the Forty Acres.

- COLLINS. Bastrop priority defensive lineman Alfred Collins told a person we trust that he loves Texas but is going to take his time. It was interesting how he was initially described as "the big d-tackle from the Austin area." I figured it was Princely Umanmielen they were talking about but he replied, "no, he's taller and bigger, like 6-foot-4, 6-foot-5 and 280." The feeling on Collins is the family is clearly sold on academics with his mother knowing the value full well, as well as proximity. We've felt he was unlikely to sign far from home but it's nice to hear it. After hearing just a few brief details I came away with a bit of a profile: His mother, Benita Pollard-Collins, is wanting him to take a diligent approach to this once in a lifetime scenario but one she's familiar with. For Texas to win this recruitment the staff needs to check the football boxes of building relationships, selling fit, and making him feel at home with the culture and potential teammates. As Collins adds weight his fit will become much more clear to him, as it has with Vernon Broughton.

- Duncanville’s Ja’Quinden Jackson returned to his new haus at Moncrief, this time as a member of #cloUT2020. It’s no secret the DFW-to-ATX movement is working to build momentum and if they can get that train over the hill Texas is going to dominate in DFW for players it would have struggled with in the past. In the meantime, JQJ brought his left tackle with him, Savion Byrd. The 6-foot-5, 270-pound junior is already on many radars, and we expect a national surge in his profile in the coming months. It’s safe to say Byrd left Austin wondering what he might look like in burnt orange. Starting to really like him, but I’ve been beating that drum since January. He’s special.

By: @josephcook 

2020 DL Princely Umanmielen

The Manor defensive lineman’s recruitment is one of several 2020 head-to-head recruiting battles the Longhorns have with Texas A&M. Fit on the football field is one of the biggest factors in Umanmielen’s recruitment, but this past weekend’s visit to Austin was about familiarizing himself with the program outside of football.

“Mainly just playing (pool) basketball with the players and some of the other recruits,” Umanmielen said about what stood out. “It was fun hanging out with the players making me feel like family.”

Umanmielen has visited Texas and A&M several times in recent months, but the experience at the Heat Wave was different than other recruiting trips.

Overall, it was a short trip he enjoyed.

“It was just fun,” Umanmielen added. “Nothing was boring. The atmosphere was amazing and everybody was positive.”

An added familiarity level with the players is huge in any recruitment. Umanmielen is at the point where he’s seen his main schools several times, so any return trip is an opportunity to gain that familiarity and build a relationship with more than just the coaches at any particular school. “That’s really what it is at this point,” he said.

Umanmielen is working out both with his Manor teammates and with a personal trainer this summer. He doesn’t plan to take any more visits this summer, and still is on track for an October announcement.

2020 DL Jalen Logan-Redding

The Columbia (MO) Rock Bridge defensive lineman made his third trip to Austin and brought members of his family with him. The experience was another enjoyable one for Logan-Redding.

“It was players having fun,” Logan-Redding said. “2020, 2021, 2022 all just trying to bond. Getting to talk to Coach Herman and Coach Giles again, seeing him win the hot wing eating contest was funny. I loved they showed that they cared about having us on campus. It was just great to be back on campus.”

Logan-Redding spoke highly about getting another chance to interact with the defensive line coach turned hot wing champion in Austin.

“He wants me,” Logan-Redding said of Oscar Giles. “Coach, he’s a very good guy. He wants to build character around his players. He wants to develop his players. He wants to make sure that he can do the best he can for them. I appreciate that.”

After three trips to Austin, Logan-Redding is ready to narrow his list of schools down. Regarding whether the Longhorns will make the cut…

“This is going to be one of my top schools,” Logan-Redding said. “The rest should be on Twitter, and it should be coming soon.”

Brief Parr Note

2020 Helotes O’Connor OL Logan Parr made the short trip from San Antonio for the Heat Wave. I plan to catch up more with him next week at The Opening, but Parr said he was able to participate in the last week of spring practice for O’Connor after a high-ankle sprain suffered in the first Panther spring practice. He’s ready to compete in Frisco.

• Like 4

Roach: Stampede (2020 relevant) 

Spoiler

— Texas started off the week with some fireworks when Kitan Crawford announced his commitment.As I’ve mentioned, Texas did a great job evaluating and recruiting Crawford as if he were a big target before he was ranked like one. It sounded like Crawford was actually close to shutting things down in the spring, but some late offers caused him to delay so that he could look into those schools. In the end, Texas landed the most athletic cornerback in the state with an incredibly high ceiling for development.

Jason Washington would love to capitalize on that momentum and land another cornerback for this class. As I’ve said, Florida has good position in the recruitment of Jahari Rogers, and it isn’t a slam dunk for Texas. I’m told that Rogers had a good time on the visit, but he’s taking a very serious approach to the process. He’s been asking a lot of questions of the position coaches hosting him, and he really wants to see how he will be used and developed. Rogers is measured in his responses and careful not to give much away, but I think Texas eventually wins this one. It sounds like he wants to make a decision in a few weeks following his performance at The Opening.

— Texas hosted four-star C.E. King safety Bryson Washington over the weekend. Coming into the visit, Texas needed to gain some ground on Oklahoma in this race. From what I was told, the Longhorns put together an incredibly unique visit for Washington, and they really wowed him and his mother. Oklahoma held a lead for a long time, but I’m feeling confident on Texas landing Washington coming out of the weekend.

— All eyes were on Tucson (Ariz.) Salpointe Catholic running back Bijan Robinson this weekend. After visits to Ohio State and USC, the race for the five-star back seemed to tighten up. Texas grabbed his attention during a spring visit with some coaches, and I’m told that the Longhorns picked up where they left off this weekend when Robinson visited with his family. With the dead period setting in and Robinson leaning towards a summer decision, I think Texas left a lasting impression on him. Ohio State will likely be the biggest point of opposition for the Longhorns, but I was told by one source that this is as confident as they have ever been in Texas landing him.

— Bryan Carrington tweeted his trademark 'shhh' emoji to indicate a commitment on Saturday, but it looks like we will have to wait for a bit before this one is announced. I don’t want to give out hints or anything, but I would say that it’s not going to be a surprise if you’ve been reading this site.

— I mentioned in my scattershooting article on Saturday night that Texas made some great progress with Calabasas (Calif.) wide receiver Johnny Wilson. Wilson came in for an unofficial visit after originally planning to come for an official. The Texas staff wanted to keep its powder dry with Wilson when it comes to the official, but it was a huge step to get him on campus this weekend. Wilson is huge on the family dynamics in a program, and Drew Mehringer is developing a strong relationship with the elite pass-catcher. Wilson spent time with De'Gabriel Floyd and his family during the visit, and I’m told that Texas is becoming a realistic option for him. Wilson indicated in the past that he’d like to make a decision before the season, but the dead period will ensure that there are no more official visits happen until the season.

— Temple wide receiver Quentin Johnston sounds like he’s pretty open at this point. His relationship with Mehringer is strong, and he has his former teammate Jared Wiley helping to recruit him to the Longhorns. Johnston isn’t close to making a decision, and he’s using summer visits to learn more about schools as he tries to narrow his view. Sources I spoke with mentioned that Johnston is pretty tough to read, but I think Texas is in position to land the talented wideout if the Longhorns stay the course and keep on him throughout the season.

— Four-star Bastrop Cedar Creek defensive lineman Alfred Collins remains a man of few words. His proximity to Austin allows him to visit rather easily, and his family seems at ease. Despite the hectic environment around a recruit during the cycle, Collins admitted that he rarely gets stressed with things. I expect him to treat the home stretch of his recruitment in the same way. He’s not going to rush things, and he will make his decision on his timeline. In a way, I feel like this meshes well with Oscar Giles and his personality. I don’t see Collins falling victim to a hard sell all of a sudden, but that’s just my read on it. On another note, Collins gets bigger every time I see him. He told us he was near 280 pounds on Saturday.

— Four-star Manor DL Princely Umanmielen is still planning on making a decision in October. At this point, he’s heard just about every pitch there is from the schools recruiting him, and he’s focused on building relationships. The biggest battle Texas is fighting in this recruitment is its scheme and three-man front. It sounds like Texas is countering this pitch well, but official visits will play a big role in swaying Umanmielen.

— Columbia (Mo.) Rock Bridge defensive lineman Jalen Logan-Redding is a name I’ve mentioned to watch down the line. He made three unofficial visits to Texas over the spring/summer and has been very vocal about how much he likes Texas. He’s planning to release a list of top schools soon, and it wouldn’t be a surprise to see him make his decision before the season.

Courtland Ford made a visit to Texas over the weekend. The Longhorns checked in on him during the spring, and they’ve had some contact. Ford is close with Texas commit Ja'Quinden Jackson, and the former LSU commit is evaluating his options. Ford had two knee injuries during his high school career, but he’s done a great job re-shaping his body and getting down to a more controllable weight.Ford could be a guy that Texas offers after seeing a little more of him.

• Like 2