Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

(Clint Buckley) Texas Heat Wave: DFW recruits talk Dallas-to-Austin movement

After visiting with several of the players following Texas’ Heat Wave recruiting event on Saturday, a clear theme emerged. The Dallas-to-Austin movement is real, and it’s picking up steam. When Duncanville quarterback Ja'Quinden Jackson committed to the Longhorns on June 3, it was as if a new era was instantaneously born. Dallas Skyline 2021 receiver Quaydarius Davis followed Jackson by pledging to Texas six days later. “It’s building a lot because everybody’s coming together,” Davis told Horns247 on Saturday. “We grew up together, like me and Ja’Quinden. It was important, you need him. That’s a bad man right there.”

And while Texas has additional DFW commitments in the 2020 class from Jake Majors and Jaden Hullaby, it’s the south Dallas area that seems to be garnering most of the attention on the Dallas-to-Austin train. That area is filled with high school powerhouses like Duncanville, DeSoto, Cedar Hill, Skyline, and Lancaster, which annually churn out Division I talent. Aside from Jackson, Duncanville 2020 safety Chris Thompson and 2021 offensive tackle Savion Byrd are major Longhorns recruiting targets.

Cedar Hill 2020 offensive tackle Courtland Ford recently de-committed from LSU, and he was in Austin this weekend. He said a return trip in July could inch him closer to receiving a Texas offer, which could tip the scales on his recruitment. And then there’s DeSoto 2021 defensive end Shemar Turner, who picked up a Longhorns offer on Friday. “It’s gonna pick up some momentum because we want people to stay in state instead of going out of state,” Turner said of the Dallas and Austin connection. “We talk about that a lot, trying to keep people (in Texas).”

Byrd believes the Dallas migration to Austin is only just beginning. “It’s getting in the head of a lot of players,” he said. "It’s building.”

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

I wouldn't be worried about it being a package deal. OSU doesn't feel confident on Bijan.

But ransom to Texas could help bijan choose Texas over usc. Ransom to osu might make Texas a little less appealing compared to usc. 

My question is does wiltfong know anything or is he following the osu mod. 

Edited by Pato del Muerto

4 minutes ago, Pato del Muerto said:

But ransom to Texas could help bijan choose Texas over usc. Ransom to osu might make Texas a little less appealing compared to usc. 

My question is does wiltfong know anything or is he following the osu mod. 

He's following Blair Angulo, who is the most clued-in person on this recruitment in the industry (and what an industry it is).

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, Hank_Hill said:

Again, depends on its affect on Robinson. Otherwise not too bad. 

Assuming we can get Washington. If so then we have our five. If we do not get Washington we are working on our backup plans at safety. But it sounds like we lead going into his announcement. 

The CBs for Ransom to OSU keep rolling in. I could put in a CB for him right meow. One person that really think he knows, another who thinks if that one knows he knows, then others just piggy backing off the two. Great work guys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roach: Weekend Updates

Spoiler

—Four-star cornerback Jahari Rogers said he enjoyed his visit. He met with the coaches and really enjoyed the position meeting with Jason Washington. As I've said before, Rogers is serious about finding a school that can properly develop him for the NFL. Rogers will make his decision in a few weeks, and I think there's some confidence that Texas lands him.

—Four-star safety Bryson Washington also enjoyed himself on the visit. Coming into the trip, Texas trailed Oklahoma. I think Texas did a great job, and it sounds like they may have a slight edge over their Red River rivals. I'll have more in the Stampede.

—The feedback I've heard from Bijan Robinson's visit was outstanding. I think there were some nervous folks coming out of his last two visits, but I was told that Texas crushed the visit. Again, more in the Stampede.

Roach comment regarding Broughton: "From what I've heard, I think this one comes down to Texas and A&M, and I'm not sure either feels it's a lock. I've heard this weekend that Arkansas is fading a bit."

Edited by Dummy

1 minute ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Could it be Lindberg?  If he showed up on his Aggy visit and said "Play with these fat gomers?  Hell no."  It would make sense, since Aggy allowed Ogunbiyi to commit and Hand just went on vacation.

You do realize hand being on vacation coincides with the dead period, right?

4 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Could it be Lindberg?  If he showed up on his Aggy visit and said "Play with these fat gomers?  Hell no."  It would make sense, since Aggy allowed Ogunbiyi to commit and Hand just went on vacation.

Lindberg didn't silently commit during the middle of an official visit elsewhere.

18 minutes ago, PNWhornsfan said:

Not sure Lindberg would be pulling the fat card on anyone at the moment. 

1 minute ago, Newy25 said:

Considering the Prince just denied it on Twitter, I’m pretty confused and overthinking this myself. Who is it then? 

It's Twitter. Prince is mad probably because that shithead OU mod outed him as a Texas commit/silent.

Just now, GRHorn said:

You keep saying no to everybody. Who do you think it is?

I've made it pretty clear who I think it is.