Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Fong: Buzz coming out of OV weekend

Spoiler

Talked to a couple folks around the visitors in Austin this weekend.

A lot of confidence regarding five-star RB Bijan Robinson and where Texas stands. Source said he likes USC, he likes Ohio State, no surprise he loves Texas, has best parts of both places in this person's opinion. I will add that confidence has been growing around Buckeyes sources since Robinson took his official the weekend prior.

Sounds like it went very well with Bryson Washington. Obviously been a lot of smoke regarding Oklahoma in this recruitment. Seems to be optimism now he'll be a Longhorn.

I asked about Jahari Rogers, Texas and Florida. I know the Crystal Ball reads Longhorns but Gators have momentum coming into this trip. Source said he thinks it's close, longer it goes, better for the in-state school.

Y'all know my thoughts on Kitan! Terrific prospect, top of the board guy for several schools, big win for Texas keeping him in-state. Texas can only take guys like Kitan in the secondary. If it's below that standard they won't push the talent that's already in the room.

5 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Reveal hidden contents

A lot of confidence regarding five-star RB Bijan Robinson and where Texas stands. Source said he likes USC, he likes Ohio State, no surprise he loves Texas, has best parts of both places in this person's opinion. I will add that confidence has been growing around Buckeyes sources since Robinson took his official the weekend prior.

Sounds like it went very well with Bryson Washington. Obviously been a lot of smoke regarding Oklahoma in this recruitment. Seems to be optimism now he'll be a Longhorn.

I asked about Jahari Rogers, Texas and Florida. I know the Crystal Ball reads Longhorns but Gators have momentum coming into this trip. Source said he thinks it's close, longer it goes, better for the in-state school.

Y'all know my thoughts on Kitan! Terrific prospect, top of the board guy for several schools, big win for Texas keeping him in-state. Texas can only take guys like Kitan in the secondary. If it's below that standard they won't push the talent that's already in the room.

Fuck that guy 

• Like 6

11 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Reveal hidden contents

For the third time: what a useless update from Wiltfong.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Dummy said:

Reveal hidden contents

Does anyone is this “journalism” industry know how to fucking write English? Anyone?

2 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So Aggy is now confident they are getting Broughton? Normally I would dismiss this news but given our recent history this does not sit well with me. 

They've been reasonably confident for months. How informed that confidence is is a different question.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, SWC said:

247 does not do a good job of covering Texas recruiting.  TFB is an original ou site so I ignore them.

You're doing yourself a disservice there, TFB's brought a lot to the table. And 247 is faaar from perfect, but they're much better than Rivals and ESPN.

• Like 1

Y’all need to chill on Ransom. He favors the last school he visits every time, which is why Texas was leading all last week. If he waits to commit, things will settle and Texas will be in it. If not, we still have a great safety class just like we will every year. That position is way too stacked with talented depth to freak out about one guy. And he’s not gonna have much impact on Bijan. They were never some sort of package deal. 

3 hours ago, closetojumping said:

There is never enough CTJ, sir. 

-South Austin’s mom.

13 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

So Aggy is now confident they are getting Broughton? Normally I would dismiss this news but given our recent history this does not sit well with me. 

aggy is always confident about every prospect until their staff decides to love on from them. Who knows what’s up with Broughton but aggys feeling optimistic about him is meaningless. 

• Like 1

Just now, texifornia said:

You're doing yourself a disservice there, TFB's brought a lot to the table. And 247 is faaar from perfect, but they're much better than Rivals and ESPN.

meh... I just come here for updates.

Ransom's father had stated that they weren't going to make any decisions on the visits and then sit a week later as a family and make a pros/cons list and see which schools check off the most boxes.... or something along those lines in a recent interview.  All the flurry of crystal balls make it seem like it's osu but I doubt they've actually made a decision if they're serious about the process like the dad had mentioned.

• Like 1

Just now, victory88 said:

Ransom's father had stated that they weren't going to make any decisions on the visits and then sit a week later as a family and make a pros/cons list and see which schools check off the most boxes.... or something along those lines in a recent interview.  All the flurry of crystal balls make it seem like it's osu but I doubt they've actually made a decision if they're serious about the process like the dad had mentioned.

Nahlin thinks Ransom silented to Ohio State.

20 minutes ago, Newy25 said:

Fong saying aggy isnt overly confident usually does not bode well for them, regardless of what he says about other schools like Texas. The news there is that Elko doesn’t think he has won yet.

9 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

Fong saying aggy isnt overly confident usually does not bode well for them, regardless of what he says about other schools like Texas. The news there is that Elko doesn’t think he has won yet.

Where did he say he wasn’t confident?

Broughton is going to Aggy unless something drastic changes, IMHO. Much like Eric Winston wasn't a TE. this kid is not a DE -- unless he goes to Aggy. The fucking kid is 285+ right now. The only school that is going to play him at DE is Aggy and Elko is going to continue to sell this to every single 265+ kid that thinks he's a pass-rusher. The real kicker is that he will actually play them there. The DC that takes over when Elko bolts is going to be fucked sideways. 

This quote is from Princely but is 100% what is going on in the Broughton recruitment. 

"He pulled up A&M's defense and told me to point to where I would play. I pointed to the strong end. Then he pulled up Texas' defense and told me to point where I would play. It was a 4i (technique). He was telling me that, if I go to any other school in that top five, I'd be playing 4i for my whole college career. But, if I go to A&M, then I'll be playing what I want to play, which is the edge. And he was like, 'Remember, you're the one who pointed at it, not me."

It's not Leal PTSD, it's simply that they are the only team recruiting these kids there. Elko has turned the 4i into a dirty word and Orlando can't unfuck his head and sell the fact that 3* guys playing it here are heading the NFL after being BigXII DL of the Year. 

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Broughton is going to Aggy unless something drastic changes, IMHO. Much like Eric Winston wasn't a TE. this kid is not a DE -- unless he goes to Aggy. The fucking kid is 285+ right now. The only school that is going to play him at DE is Aggy and Elko is going to continue to sell this to every single 265+ kid that thinks he's a pass-rusher. The real kicker is that he will actually play them there. The DC that takes over when Elko bolts is going to be fucked sideways. 

This quote is from Princely but is 100% what is going on in the Broughton recruitment. 

It's not Leal PTSD, it's simply that they are the only team recruiting these kids there. Elko has turned the 4i into a dirty word and Orlando can't unfuck his head and sell the fact that 3* guys playing it here are heading the NFL after being BigXII DL of the Year. 

To combat this nrarrative we have a guy who barely calls or texts recruits in charge of the position. It’s the messaging that being received largely because it’s the only consistent messaging they are hearing. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

So 4 out of 5 coaches agree where he needs to play to have a shot at the NFL, but he’s being swayed by the only coach telling him to play a different spot? Who also happens to be on the least successful team of all the others?

He's selling the dream they want to believe. Makes it a lot easier.

1 minute ago, SquishMitten said:

So 4 out of 5 coaches agree where he needs to play to have a shot at the NFL, but he’s being swayed by the only coach telling him to play a different spot? Who also happens to be on the least successful team of all the others?

RE: Princely, yes, that's what it sounds like based on his quote. Though I don't know who his top 5 is or what exactly OU wants him to do in Grinch's system.

I don't know if Broughton has any illusions of playing DE in a four-man front. 

2 minutes ago, SquishMitten said:

These kids will buy anything if the message is what they want to hear. If they don't like a particular school,  excuses wil be created to not pick that school.  Interviews will be given about how the education and distance is important to them and then commit to a diploma mill much further away than the hometown school. 

Fuckin recruiting...

2 minutes ago, texifornia said:

He's selling the dream they want to believe. Makes it a lot easier.

It doesn’t help that there is an entire season of tape of us playing Hager on the edge as a “rusher” where he simply ran himself into blockers rendering himself useless on just about every play. There is the selling of dreams then there is also our God awful deployment of defensive linemen last year to overcome. 

Just now, Butch Had Not said:

These kids will buy anything if the message is what they want to hear. If they don't like a particular school,  excuses wil be created to not pick that school.  Interviews will be given about how the education and distance is important to them and then commit to a diploma mill much further away than the hometown school. 

Fuckin recruiting...

To be fair, that is human nature. That isn't exclusive to  "these kids."

Is there anything from aggie or other schools' mods saying that they won over Broughton this weekend, any post visit CBs, or anything of substance out there to justify the sudden Broughton negativity over the past hour?