Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Brutal day in recruiting if the Bijan, Broughton, and Washington info from Suchomel and others outside of the Texas orbit is accurate. I guess you can throw Ransom in there too, but that happened yesterday. I'm sure the info is somewhere in the middle though, and we split some of these guys. We'll see soon. 

It's not the end of the world if we miss on all of them. Herman's recruiting system is too good; they're too good at evaluating, at finding prospects across the country, and for the most part, at landing the backup plans. Odds are, they'll at least fill every need in the class with solid prospects. If you're a believer in their ability to develop, then Texas is still bringing in solid talent good enough for regularly compete for the playoff. But we need to land a high percentage of the top priority targets if we want to dominate the conference and be in the playoff annually, and give ourselves shot once there. 

Or maybe Herman is a program building and coaching savant who can win big without landing a ton of 5*s, like Dabo earlier in his Clemson tenure.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Fud said:

Brutal day in recruiting if the Bijan, Broughton, and Washington info from Suchomel and others outside of the Texas orbit is accurate. I guess you can throw Ransom in there too, but that happened yesterday. I'm sure the info is somewhere in the middle though, and we split some of these guys. We'll see soon. 

It's not the end of the world if we miss on all of them. Herman's recruiting system is too good; they're too good at evaluating, at finding prospects across the country, and for the most part, at landing the backup plans. Odds are, they'll at least fill every need in the class with solid prospects. If you're a believer in their ability to develop, then Texas is still bringing in solid talent good enough for regularly compete for the playoff. But we need to land a high percentage of the top priority targets if we want to dominate the conference and be in the playoff annually, and give ourselves shot once there. 

Or maybe Herman is a program building and coaching savant who can win big without landing a ton of 5*s, like Dabo earlier in his Clemson tenure.

I have issues  with the Bryson Washington info, especially when TFB (who is most plugged in on Texas-OU battles) and OU sites have adjusted post-visit. Bijan, Broughton, there's enough smoke to the fire that I could buy it, even if Rivals sources are just throwing shit against the wall.

Ransom is gone and any Texas 9.95er trying to suggest otherwise is needlessly setting themself up for backlash.

1 minute ago, Machinator said:

I have issues  with the Bryson Washington info, especially when TFB (who is most plugged in on Texas-OU battles) and OU sites have adjusted post-visit. Bijan, Broughton, there's enough smoke to the fire that I could buy it, even if Rivals sources are just throwing shit against the wall.

Ransom is gone and any Texas 9.95er trying to suggest otherwise is needlessly setting themself up for backlash.

I'm glad you've already had time to assimilate the data.

• Like 1

Say we're landing Washington and missing on the other three. All three elite prospects are potentially replaceable by solid prospects by this staff, although I have particularly little faith in the staff replacing Bijan this cycle, but this all seemingly coming out in the matter of two hours or so was particularly brutal. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fud said:

Say we're landing Washington and missing on the other three. All three elite prospects are potentially replaceable by solid prospects by this staff, although I have particularly little faith in the staff replacing Bijan this cycle, but this all seemingly coming out in the matter of two hours or so was particularly brutal. 

I have more faith that we flip Jase than replace Vernon - unless you're suggesting that Collins is a replacement for Vernon, while I think we really needed to go 2/2 because we missed on Leal last cycle.

9 minutes ago, Fud said:

I do appreciate this staff's ability to identify talent that isn't 5-star, but sooner or later they've gotta close these five stars. We're worrying about them losing out on THE one five star they're in legit play for on that front once again. They honestly need to be in serious contention for quite a bit more than that. 

I have more faith that we flip Jase than replace Vernon - unless you're suggesting that Collins is a replacement for Vernon, while I think we really needed to go 2/2 because we missed on Leal last cycle.

To be clear, not replacing him with a prospect of equal value, but replacing him with a solid prospect that fills a class hole with, like say Daniel Carson, Isaiah Hookfin, or Kennedy Lewis. 

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

Don’t get me wrong, if we miss on all of Robinson, Broughton, Washington, and Ransom I’ll be happy to contribute to this shitfest, but why are we acting like a Suchomel update and a Perroni CB have any meaning whatsoever?  

Because sad/angry gifs are funnier than happy ones?

1 minute ago, UncleBuck said:

I do appreciate this staff's ability to identify talent that isn't 5-star, but sooner or later they've gotta close these five stars. We're worrying about them losing out on THE one five star they're in legit play for on that front once again. They honestly need to be in serious contention for quite a bit more than that.  

Right. If you're only landing a few of the tough battles for elite targets every year to go with the handful of given elite prospects who are Texas locks, and filling the rest of the class with solid eval prospects, then you're probably closer to the Washington, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Stanford, etc of the world than the Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Urban's Ohio State, etc. 

• Like 1

Also everyone needs to calm the fuck down. We came in second for Broughton, Bijan, and Ransom. Those are three of the best players in the country. And we almost got them. That's huge. Before Herman we weren't even making the top 3 for most elite prospects, and now we're consistently coming in #2 for the top talent in the country. That's what I call progress. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2
  • Fuck You 2

4 minutes ago, Fud said:

To be clear, not replacing him with a prospect of equal value, but replacing him with a solid prospect that fills a class hole with, like say Daniel Carson, Isaiah Hookfin, or Kennedy Lewis. 

You’d be good with replacing Broughton with someone on the level of Carson? 

ChubbyBaggyIrishdraughthorse-size_restri

4 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Also everyone needs to calm the fuck down. We came in second for Broughton, Bijan, and Ransom. Those are three of the best players in the country. And we almost got them. That's huge. Before Herman we weren't even making the top 3 for most elite prospects, and now we're consistently coming in #2 for the top talent in the country. That's what I call progress. 

Considering our history, losing recruiting battles to aggy is not progress.  We run the QB too much and play a very fast form of D that does not employ as many large bodies.  Time will tell.  If we can just get JQJ up to speed on reads.  He has a cannon arm and can run like Priest Holmes.

Edited by SWC

1 minute ago, Burt Macklin said:

You’d be good with replacing Broughton with someone on the level of Carson? 

ChubbyBaggyIrishdraughthorse-size_restri

I don't think I said that. I said it's not the end of the world, and that we'd probably still fill the class with solid prospects, but going down that trajectory makes us more similar to programs who are more similar to Washington, Michigan, Penn State, etc than Bama, Georgia, Clemson, etc. 

3 minutes ago, Hank Scorpio said:

Not to mention that if the school they’re committed to fires its coordinator, hires a new one, then that one leaves within a couple weeks of said recruit’s enrollment, we could land all three of them and have them in town in time for spring ball.

And then back out of town before summer conditioning starts.

6 minutes ago, Fud said:

Right. If you're only landing a few of the tough battles for elite targets every year to go with the handful of given elite prospects who are Texas locks, and filling the rest of the class with solid eval prospects, then you're probably closer to the Washington, Michigan, Penn State, LSU, Stanford, etc of the world than the Bama, Georgia, Clemson, Urban's Ohio State, etc. 

Spot on.

I finished watching Chernobyl this weekend, so all this meltdown talk hits close to home.

Yes this thread is just like the reactor, having no xenon (CB’s) or water (shhhh’s) to keep cool and it’s now racing to the breaking point at accelerated speeds.

4 hours ago, Sejjr said:

I get it with Urban, but who the fuck is Ryan Day and why is Ohio State not skipping a beat at all in recruiting? 

Are you guys really this dense? They put players in the league...1st rd picks, we don't. Aerial views of Lake Austin will never compensate for this weakness in our program right now.

• Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

2 minutes ago, Bruh Man said:

Are you guys really this dense? They put players in the league...1st rd picks, we don't. Aerial views of Lake Austin will never compensate for this weakness in our program right now.

Agreed.  We'll see what happens with Day (and Riley) 3-4 years down the road when it's their recruits and their culture.  We're already seeing the chinks in Riley's program.  Two years in he's hiring a non-Stoops to run the D.  We'll see if he made the right call and if that program can show some physicality on D.

• Like 1

Just now, USMCHorn said:

I refuse to meltdown in fucking June. Give me a fucking break guys.

Well its certainly early but if all of your top players commit somewhere else it does not really matter how much time is left in the cycle. 

• Like 1