Texas Recruiting Notes 2020

Reese Bennett

Didn't see much about him,  but Omari Thomas from Memphis was there with his QB who is 2019.  I think Thomas has an offer.  

Friend of mine works at American and checked them through to Memphis.  They were wearing their Texas ID tags so he hit them up a little bit.  Said they were high on Texas,  raving about the facilities.  Said Tennessee was out.  Also, looking at A&M,  who they also visited,  Georgia and 'bama.

Anyway,  thought that was nearly as good as Port a Poty girl,  Uber driver,  and 7-11 guy so I passed it along.  

• Like 5

IT

MARVIN MIMS

We know Texas prides itself on evaluating all aspects of a player. That includes the player's family. Their evaluations are more labor intensive, and mostly committable, so that's why you don't see carpet bombing synonymous with many of the top recruiting schools.

This quote from 2020 Frisco Lone Star wide receiver Marvin Mims is instructive. Mims attended the Heat Wave where there was a chance he'd pick up an offer. This is where he stands with the staff regarding an offer:

"The wide receiver coach was talking about how much he likes me and my family and that he just had to run it through Coach Herman and he recognized me and my parents at the event."

The facilities upgrades from a year ago are still paying dividends. Those changes caught the eye of the class of 2018 but we're hearing a lot of positives with the 2019 and 2020 players as well. On what stood out at the event:

"The facilities are the best I've seen yet by far. Also how close-knit everyone was at the pool party."

With offers from Arizona (Sumlin), Arkansas, Ohio State, Nebraska, A&M, TCU, and others, Mims is in demand. He's trying to make the rounds as best he can:

"I've been to SMU, TCU, Oklahoma State, and I might go to Arkansas next weekend."

I expect Mims to be offered. The 6-foot-1, 170 pounder would be a Z or slot. There's some Al'vonte Woodard to his game.

ALEC BRYANT

The 2020 defensive end hails from Shadow Creek in Pearland. Here he is after just barely turning 15 years-old.

His best offers currently are OU, TCU, and NU, but Texas is already recruiting him like he holds an offer. At 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, and very young for his grade (I've heard he could be a 2021 player), it's only a matter of time before Texas pounces.

Have UT discussed an offer:
"They have. Giles says he wants to pull the trigger but Herman says he wants to wait on the 2020 guys and just slow play me."

How he responds to hearing that:
"If I don't get it I just keep working, get up every day. I can't get mad at them for not offering me. Just thank God for what I have right now and keep getting better."

If Texas offers:
"Top-3 for sure, along with OU and TCU."

How Texas sees his fit:
"Outside linebacker, defensive end."

(as of now that's a tell they see him as Malcolm Roach)

Future visits:
"Probably for a game this year. OU on July 27th and then I'm done after that."

Deciding factors:
"Relationship with the coaches and if my family is okay with it."

If Texas offers, the Horns clearly become the pick, however, the longer the staff waits the more OU will use that in its own favor.

2020s TALK TEXAS 

Chris Thompson...

The nation’s top rated safety made his way back to Austin for the Heat Wave last weekend. At 6-foot-1, 175, the Duncanville product went from no radar to radar love in a matter of six months.

“I was happy but still knew I have a lot of work to do with that target on my back now,” said Thompson of his newly 5-star status.

Thompson is no stranger to the 40 Acres, making multiple trips since Junior Day Weekend. On the list of things that stand out, Thompson talks UT athletes.

“The interaction with the players, like Josh Thompson, is great,” says Chris. “The message from the players is ‘we’re here and have your back. If you come here, we’ll support you.’ I’m loving Texas right now.”

Even though it’s early, Thompson, like most recruits, are looking for certain intangibles when coming to an ultimate decision.

“Connecting with the coaches and the education from a place like Texas,” Thompson said. 

Another factor might be the desire to play with Duncanville QB/ATH and close friend, Ja’Quinden Jackson, who also holds a Texas offer.

“We (Jackson) talk about it all the time,” Thompson said. “We plan on going to the same school but if anything changes, it just changes. He loves Texas too.”

Jaylen Garth...

The Port Neches-Groves product is a perfect example of how growth and development can turn a football player into a college prospect.

At 6-foot-5, 290, Garth has seen his stock soar since this winter. Protecting PNG’s QB and Texas commit Roschon Johnson + a strong work ethic in the weight room (benching 150 last fall to 275 this spring) will do that.

“It was really fun,” said Garth. “I really enjoyed it a lot. It’s a genuine family feeling in Austin.”

Texas offensive line coach Herb Hand pegged Garth after he and Tim Beck made the trip to the golden triangle this spring. With Johnson in the fold and Garth’s upside, it was only a matter of time.

“We (Hand) were just catching back up, hanging out,” Garth said. “The thing that stood out the most is how good the players treated us. It really is like a family.”

Garth’s rise also comes with new offers including Alabama, Nebraska, and Texas A&M. There will be more, but luckily for UT, they’ve got an ace in the hole; Roschon.

Garth looks up to the big man on campus at PNG, from his 5am workouts, to his rising GPA every semester since his sophomore season.

This one may draw out for awhile or could shut down before his junior snap. Regardless, Texas looks damn good here.

Demond Demas....

People say there’s a Demond Demas in every class. Yeah, maybe every five classes. While @Fuddy sees him as Julio Jones-ish, he might be right.

At 6-foot-4, 205, and a reported 4.3 (40) that is likely accurate, Demas’s just don’t grow on trees. They are rare and the highly-fluid athlete is starting to figure that out. Texas knee it over a year ago, since they’ve been courting the junior since his freshman year at North Forest in Houston.

“All I can say is it’s just fun,” said Demas. “I enjoy being out here, being around my family. This place is like my family. I keep a close relationship with coach Herman and coach Meekins. I keep them posted about everything; how schools going, and how I’m doing in the weight room.”

As for a specific position at wide receiver - outside, slot - Demas says Texas isn’t recruiting him at one spot.

“Everything,” said Demas. “They want me everywhere.”

With his ability and measureables, everything is probably his best schematic fit.

I’ll have stuff from ‘19 Mansfield Legacy DT Taurean Carter and ‘20 University Lab (LA) ATH Joel Williams later this week.

30 minutes ago, Laga4 said:

Didn't see much about him,  but Omari Thomas from Memphis was there with his QB who is 2019.  I think Thomas has an offer.  

Friend of mine works at American and checked them through to Memphis.  They were wearing their Texas ID tags so he hit them up a little bit.  Said they were high on Texas,  raving about the facilities.  Said Tennessee was out.  Also, looking at A&M,  who they also visited,  Georgia and 'bama.

Anyway,  thought that was nearly as good as Port a Poty girl,  Uber driver,  and 7-11 guy so I passed it along.  

I like it: https://247sports.com/Player/Omari-Thomas-46048092

4 hours ago, Katfid54 said:

Yep.  And remember that Adeoye in 2018 was always posing in the #20.

This is a very important thing to remember.

You should probably go post it on the Football board and tell them we let players take pictures with chrome helmet logos that appear Tennessee orange while adding some black to the jersey just to see some heads explode with the remains flying right by some "get off my lawn!" signs.

2 hours ago, Machinator said:

ALEC BRYANT

The 2020 defensive end hails from Shadow Creek in Pearland. Here he is after just barely turning 15 years-old.

His best offers currently are OU, TCU, and NU, but Texas is already recruiting him like he holds an offer. At 6-foot-3, 230 pounds, and very young for his grade (I've heard he could be a 2021 player), it's only a matter of time before Texas pounces.

12 year old senior detected

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caddox said:

Aggy claims McGlothern is down to them and Bama. I could've sworn we were killing it with that kid?

It's like the Shepherd recruitment - contine to leave Texas off the writeups, and when the kid ends up going to UT all the posters will be like "they came out of nowhere! Bagmen!"

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Caddox said:

Aggy claims McGlothern is down to them and Bama. I could've sworn we were killing it with that kid?

He hasn't played his junior season yet, there's plenty of time to win the recruitment 

• Like 1

Updated Rivals 250 state rankings, if you want to become familiar with some names. Jaylon Jones is missing, and should probably be top ten. 

1) Zach Evans RB North Shore
2) Jase McClellan RB Aledo
3) Demond Demas WR North Forest
4) RJ Mickens CB Southlake Carroll
5) Dwight McGlorthern CB New Caney
6) Seth McGowan RB Mesquite Poteet
7) EJ Smith APB Dallas Jesuit
😎 Courtland Ford OT Cedar Hill
9) Branard Wright DT Dallas Carter
10) Troy Omeire WR Fort Bend Austin 
11) Drew Sanders ATH Colleyville Heritage
12) Lejond Cavazos S IMG 
13) Ja'Quinden Jackson ATH Duncanville 
14) Collin Sullivan WR Round Rock
15) Darius Snow S Carrollton Hebron
16) Logan Parr OT Helotes O'Connor
17) Hudson Card QB Lake Travis 
18) Marvin Mims WR Frisco Lone Star
19) Akinola Ogunbiyi OG Sugar Land Kempner
20) Prince Dorbah Dallas Highland Park
21) Lorando Johnson CB Lancaster
22) Davon Graham II WR Fort Worth Keller
23) James Sylvester SDE Newton
24) Chad Lindberg OT League City Clear Creek
25) Jaxon Smith-Njigba WR Rockwall
26) Malik Hornsby QB Houston Austin 
27) Chris Thompson Jr S Duncanville
28) Alec Bryant WDE Pearland Shadow Creek
29) Zeriah Beason WR Dallas Bishop Dunne
30) Ken Seals QB Weatherford

6 minutes ago, Elmer_Fudd said:

Early want list:

RB:  Evans, APB:  Mookie, WR:  Demas, OT:  Lindberg, OT/OG:  Garth, DE:  Bryant, SDE:  Broughton, DT/NG:  Wright, ILB:  Flowe, S:  Thompson and Washington.  ATH/OLB: J. Jackson.

Bryant before we've even offered?

EJ after dark: Texas QB commit Hudson Card becoming leader in 2020

— Four-star 2020 Texas quarterback commit Hudson Card is starting to embrace his role as leader of next cycle. Card attended the Texas Heat Wave pool party and did some recruiting for the Longhorns, especially with key 2020 targets like Chris Thompson, the nation’s top safety for next cycle, and nation Top 100 prospect Mookie Cooper. After the event, Card actually rounded up some of the guys and took them to the lake to show them life away from campus.

— I had an opportunity to speak to a Big 12 assistant on the offensive side of the ball that recruited Card. The assistant told me that Card is in the same mold as Auburn quarterback and former four-star recruit Jarrett Stidham. The assistant called Card ‘electric’ and a natural playmaker as a runner. He added that Card is coming along as a passer and should develop into a dynamic dual-threat quarterback. As he put it, Card was a great land for the Longhorns.

— Speaking of 2020 quarterbacks, Texas is still in the mix for four-star Houston Austin product Malik Hornsby as it looks like the Longhorns might take two at the position next cycle. Hornsby has blown up on the recruiting trail, but we are still told that he wants to stay closer to home. He is pegged as a UT lean early on, but Texas A&M made a big impression on him last weekend. We have a feeling it’s going to come down to those two schools.

— Five-star 2020 Mater Dei (Calif.) quarterback Bryce Young plans to release his top schools in the very near future. Young has continued to communicate with Texas offensive coordinator Tim Beck, and it appears Texas will survive the cut. But we are still hearing that schools like Oklahoma and USC have the advantage over UT at this time.

TFB Open Post: http://texas.thefootballbrainiacs.com/2018/06/open-post-weekend-june-23rd-24th/

– North Forest (TX) ’20 WR Demond Demas cut his list from nearly fifty offers, down to eight.

Demas is a guy that is a top priority for Texas in 2020, as he should be. He is no doubt in my mind the Top 2020 WR in Texas. I’d even put Demas up against the top 2019 WR’s in Garrett Wilson, Theo Wease, Jordan Whittington, and those others. Wilson is the only guy I’d take over Demas.

Right now the lead group for Demas (I know he just named at Top 8) is Alabama, Texas, and Texas A&M. It’s likely in that order right now. He took a visit to Alabama in April and he really thinks he can be the next Julio Jones type player at Alabama. Texas has done a great job getting him on campus a couple of time over the last few months. He was at Texas’ “Heat Wave” event last weekend.

While Alabama may have the edge right now in Demas recruitment, most think this comes down to Texas and Texas A&M. An X-factor in this recruitment is where his teammate and best friend Javonne Shepherd signs. Shepherd is pretty much down to Texas and Texas A&M, and whichever school signs him will likely have an edge with Demas. – (Andrew)

– Arguably the #1 offensive lineman from the state of Texas in 2020 is Clear Creek’s Chad Lindberg. The 6’6 305-pound offensive tackle is another one of those 5-star OT’s that come out of the state of Texas every year. Texas finally landed one in 2019 in Tyler Johnson. They look to do it again in 2020 with Lindberg, and they’re in a pretty good spot right now. Lindberg was in Austin again over the weekend for a visit, and I caught up with him to talk about it.

Lindberg said he enjoyed getting out to Austin again, as he last visited Texas in late April. He told me “One thing that stood out was the weight room and the other new renovations, it’s outstanding.” When I asked who he hung out with most of the time, I expected him to rattle off some recruits names. But instead, he said three of the guys he was talking to the most were freshman OL Reese Moore, QB Cam Rising, and K Cameron Dicker. Lindberg said “They were just talking to me about why they picked Texas, and why they like it. With all the things that are so great that comes with being a football player. But also just the proximity of dorms, classes, food, and the facilities. And the quality of each of those things.”

Lindberg feels more comfortable at Texas every time he visits. He also told me his older brother is a student at UT. Right now Lindberg plans to visit LSU on Friday. He has been talking about wanting to get out to Death Valley for awhile, so we’ll see how that trip goes. He added he might try to visit Alabama on Saturday if they have time.

I think those three schools (Texas, LSU, and Alabama) are a group of the main ones standing out. But Lindberg has his pick of just about any elite school. He added awhile back that Notre Dame, Oklahoma, Stanford, and Georgia are some other schools he really likes. He also has some ties to Arkansas. Texas will have to fight some blue-bloods for this one, but I feel like they’re in the pretty good spot early on. – (Andrew)

Edited by Machinator

5 minutes ago, Spider2YBanana said:

It's truly hilarious aggy believes with all their heart that they have a chance with Zach Evans. Let's not let the fact that he's skipped out on them about 4 times get in the way. Fucking morons. 

He skipped out on the aggy recruiting weekend to come to a camp that some of the Texas coaches were at.

OB War Room - D.Demas, A.Bryant, C.Lindberg

While the primary focus at last weekend’s Heat Wave party was on the 2019 class, there were some elite 2020 prospects on campus as well, including top national wide receiver prospect Demond Demas.

Heading into the visit, Demas, out of Houston North Forest, had Alabama number one, Texas A&M number two and Texas in the third spot. He shuffled things up a bit after the visit to Texas.

“Now they’re bumped up to No. 2,” Demas said of the Longhorns. “At first, in front of them, it was A&M, but now (Texas) is number two.”

Demas talks about what has Bama, UT and A&M standing out …

“What I like about them so much, they keep me updated with everything. They try to stay in touch with me as much as they can. They really can’t call me, but I can call them,” Demas said. “I keep in touch with coach (Corby) Meekins, coach Tom Herman. At A&M I keep up with coach (Dameyune) Craig and coach Jimbo Fisher. Those are my top three right there.”

While Bama holds the current lead, this one could get interesting if Texas is able to land Demas’ teammate, offensive lineman Javonne Shepherd. Demas said the two have talked about playing college ball together “forever,” so Texas landing Shepherd could be enough to propel the Longhorns to the top spot.

“I’m close to home. It’s just family,” Demas said of Texas. “My family can come watch me play every Saturday if they want to.”

Pearland Shadow Creek 2020 defensive end Alec Bryant doesn’t hold a Texas offer yet, but he made a return visit to UT last weekend and said it was another good time. Bryant is hopeful an offer will come in the near future and if it does, Texas should be in a good spot with this one.

“Amazing. I loved it,” Bryant said of the visit. “I felt like I belong here, I’m just waiting for them to pull the trigger so they can offer.”

Bryant said Texas has talked to him about an offer but the staff is taking things slowly. In the meantime, he said he’s just keeping his head down and trying to improve.

“Coach Giles said he wants to pull the trigger, but Herman wants to wait on the 2020 guys and just slow play it. But that’s all right,” Bryant said. “If I don’t get it, I just keep working and getting better every day. I can’t get mad at them for not offering me, so I just thank God for what I have right now and just keep getting better.”

If Texas offers, Bryant said the Longhorns will be in his top three along with OU and TCU. Bryant will visit Oklahoma on July 27 and said he’ll likely return to Austin in the fall for a game. He said his relationship with the coaches and finding a school that has his major (sports broadcasting) will be big factors in his decision.

Offensive lineman Chad Lindberg is one of the nation’s top prospects in the 2020 class. He was on the UT campus last weekend and while he’s keeping an open mind at this stage of the recruiting process, the Longhorns should factor heavily into this one.

Lindberg said he’s already developed a strong relationship with Texas OL coach Herb Hand and he’s looking forward to building on that relationship over the course of his recruitment. As for what he likes about Texas …

“It’s the culmination of all the things – it’s one of the top schools in the country, I see a good future for them athletically, and my older brother is going to be attending school here in the fall so I’ll have a good connection to UT,” Lindberg said.

Of note, Lindberg was thinking of visiting LSU this weekend. He said he’d like to get back to Texas at some point this summer and might get out to Stanford for a visit if he can (doh!).