Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Yeah I would unapologetically enjoy Jade Bird, as well as Gin Blossoms. 

I grew up in the 90s and lived near the Woodlands Pavilion. I had many an opportunity to see Dave Matthews Band, and I probably did see them 3 times in my teens. It’s not my thing, I’m on board with making fun of them, dookie in the river is funny, they were always great live and they had some good songs.  I have one of those “dad is trying to be a good dad” memories of my dad winding up with some free tickets, surprising me after school, sweating his ass off bringing nachos up the hill, probably right around when he bought me my first guitar. Which I took out the other day and played for a bit, still a great guitar (Martin DM) that holds its own with my other more expensive Martins.

Edited by Celery Man
  • Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I saw DMB and didn't even remember I saw them.  They opened for the Stones at Texas Motor Speedway on the Bridges to Babylon tour.  Not long ago somebody reminded me about the opening acts and I didn't remember any of them -- I think it was DMB, Matchbox 20, and Smashing Pumpkins.  I wasn't even drunk, but apparently nothing resonated.

I saw DMB and didn't even remember I saw them.  They opened for the Stones at Texas Motor Speedway on the Bridges to Babylon tour.  Not long ago somebody reminded me about the opening acts and I didn't remember any of them -- I think it was DMB, Matchbox 20, and Smashing Pumpkins.  I wasn't even drunk, but apparently nothing resonated.

I was at that show. Surprised I didn’t see you. DMB was pretty forgettable. As was MB20. Pumpkins and Stones both put on good shows though.

4 minutes ago, Chad Fuck said:

I was at that show. Surprised I didn’t see you. DMB was pretty forgettable. As was MB20. Pumpkins and Stones both put on good shows though.

I vaguely recall the Pumpkins.  I have at least two vivid memories of the Stones -- Keef materializing at the top of the show playing "Satisfaction" (and I promptly lost my shit), and the "club stage" about 30 feet from me upon which Ronnie Wood donned a giant bra some large lady threw on stage.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

Today I learned that University of Memphis awarded Jason Isbell his bachelor's degree in English a couple of months ago.  Apparently, he was one class shy and they gave him credit for his career experiences as a writer.  Nice to see.

Should have made him take the class. Could you imagine how cool it would be to be a college kid and have him as a classmate?  

In my experience, pretty much everyone that hates the Eagles was alive in the late 70's/early 80's and listening to a shit ton of punk at the time.

Not a put down, because I love a lot of that music too, but it seems like there was a time and place where if you were into a certain thing, hating the Eagles was de rigueur.

2 hours ago, Al_4_ISU said:

In my experience, pretty much everyone that hates the Eagles was alive in the late 70's/early 80's and listening to a shit ton of punk at the time.

Not a put down, because I love a lot of that music too, but it seems like there was a time and place where if you were into a certain thing, hating the Eagles was de rigueur.

No, it's mostly because the are the most homogenized milquetoast* mid trash ever. So much so that no less than noted punk rocker and philanthropist Allen Klein, who had been holding Dead Flowers hostage for the Lebowski soundtrack to the tune of 150,000 dollars, actually waved his hand and said, "you know what, take it" after T Bone Burnett played him the "I hate the fucking Eagles" scene in the movie.

*milk toast, clearly/

2 hours ago, tbone_ said:

The likely dumbass teacher would probably grade his writing low, tell him he had no future as a writer and to go into something like house painting.

Ha.  IIRC it was a health class he was missing and just decided to walk out one day because it was pointless.  He joined DBT shortly thereafter.

Also, his new full hour ACL ep. airs Saturday.  Set your DVR.

38 minutes ago, G650 said:

No, it's mostly because the are the most homogenized milquetoast* mid trash ever. So much so that no less than noted punk rocker and philanthropist Allen Klein, who had been holding Dead Flowers hostage for the Lebowski soundtrack to the tune of 150,000 dollars, actually waved his hand and said, "you know what, take it" after T Bone Burnett played him the "I hate the fucking Eagles" scene in the movie.

*milk toast, clearly/

It should really be "milk toast".

And I'm glad that Allen Klein hates the fuckin' Eagles because Dead Flowers really ties the room together.

• Like 1

In this general genre, I have two tickets I can't use to John Moreland at 3TEN at ACL Live Nov 17. The seats are row 1-2 GA (GA seating but guaranteed first two rows). Asking $100 for the pair (face value, I'll eat the service charges). PM me if interested. 

I will be at Universal with the kids in Orlando so can’t go but someone should get these, Moreland fucks.