Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

1 hour ago, tbone_ said:

I just downloaded this and American Heartbreak. That’s a lot of songs.

Give us 5 to start with.

there are other's who are probably better qualified for this but i'll give you five (first two aren't on either of the albums you downloaded, last three are):

something in the orange is his biggest hit.  you may have already heard that one.

oklahoma smokeshow

from austin

eastside of sorrow

jake's piano - long island

I still wish Vince Gill had taken up Mark Knopfler's offer to play in Dire Straits.  Man, that would have been an epic band, and I don't think we would have missed out on much.  (No offense to Vince Gill, I think he's a phenomenal player and singer and apparently a first class human being, but I wouldn't have missed a few country hits in favor of some K-G guitar wizardry on every song on every album forever.)

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 2

I found a good version of how McMurtry is doing "Blackberry Winter" at his shows now.  No mic, out if front of the monitors.....  Holy fuck.   What a song.  I liked the studio version, especially Grissom's killer acoustic solo but this version....... Just kills me.  

Damn, that was powerful.

That’s my fist time listening to that tune and I had to look up the lyrics. Tears were rolling down my cheeks before the second chorus.
I found a good version of how McMurtry is doing "Blackberry Winter" at his shows now.  No mic, out if front of the monitors.....  Holy fuck.   What a song.  I liked the studio version, especially Grissom's killer acoustic solo but this version....... Just kills me.  

Damn, that was powerful.

That’s my fist time listening to that tune and I had to look up the lyrics. Tears were rolling down my cheeks before the second chorus.
  • Hook 'Em 1

19 hours ago, tigol said:

Damn, that was powerful.

Damn, that was powerful.

Listening to the studio version, I never really paid attention to the meaning of the song, but when he did it this way live, it shot me in the soul.  To me, he is the best songwriter, ever.  How can you take that story and make it that powerful without saying, outright, what was happening?  

• Like 1

I've listened to that song a bunch and never really figured it all out until I just read the lyrics.

I'd always took it as a couple of older folks fooling around (kind of a theme on that album) and the man trying to keep his distance, but I never grasped that she commits suicide.

• Like 1