Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

Yeah that’s the remix.  

Rep for the ‘96.  My hometown of Meyer, Iowa (population roughly 20, but it’s unincorporated) was home to the first Saab dealership west of the Mississippi. The garage still works on existing Saabs.  People come from the Twin Cities and Des Moines (roughly halfway between them) to have their Saabs wrenched on there

1 hour ago, Al_4_ISU said:

The remastered Dirty South came out today, and I’ve posted it a bunch in this thread, but The Day John Henry Died is such an incredible piece of songwriting that seems perpetually ignored.

every time i hear the line "labor costs were high" the mark cuban taking notes .gif immediately pops into my head.

like that is relevant, useful information i needed

• Hook 'Em 1

9 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I bought a 2002 Saab 9-5 Aero when my wife got pregnant with our first daughter.  The Honda S2000 2-seater I had been driving would have been remarkably impractical.

The Saab was a cool car.  Weird, but cool.  It looked exactly like this one:

The price is hot - let's fly the 9-5 Aero! - saabblog

I had a buddy that owned a manual 93 turbo for awhile.  It was a cool car, but required more active gear management to avoid turbo lag than any car I ever driven.  If you weren’t almost prescient in your downshifts, the car could be down right dangerous to drive when you needed power.

My 9000  Aero was of course similar looking, a bit more old school soapbar styling. It had a "trunk" body style but was actually a hatchback and I could fit a Marshall halfstack, one of my bass speaker cabinets, and the bass drum in it.

And yeah fuckin turbo lag like crazy. Torque steer too.

• Hook 'Em 2

9 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

My 9000  Aero was of course similar looking, a bit more old school soapbar styling. It had a "trunk" body style but was actually a hatchback and I could fit a Marshall halfstack, one of my bass speaker cabinets, and the bass drum in it.

And yeah fuckin turbo lag like crazy. Torque steer too.

Steering & handling were odd, too.  Lots of body roll.  It wasn't unstable, but such a different road feel from the S2000 I had previously.  That car was basically a go-kart, not a ton of power, but lightweight and unbelievably nimble.  The oversteer due to rear wheel drive was awesome, as long as you were up above about 5K rpm when you dumped the clutch.

This probably wasn't an issue for you Texans, but one of the core features of the Saab that got Midwesterners in trouble was the ignition being located between the seats on the floor.

More than once my mom spilled coffee in the dead of winter in our 9000, and it froze up in the ignition.

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Haha 1

The line in skillet about lying to the county cops - I read that as just shooting the shit (and being full of shit) at the small town convenience store. That feels like that guy - stopping in to get some cheese nabs on the way to the feed store, chatting up the local police with some bullshit story about fish or weather or what have you.

Maybe specifically, I feel like that’s where you would see that guy, as the person who knows the story. Driving by the Stop and Go and there that fucker is with his shit eating grin standing next to the patrol car.

Edited by Celery Man

The details of the narrator’s life are really similar to Mike Cooley’s.  Vestavia Hills is a suburb of Birmingham.  Cooley lives in a suburb of Birmingham (Gardendale).  The narrator’s “wife pays the bills”.  Cooley’s wife is a nurse and likely paid the bills at some points in their marriage.  His kids were really young when Jason was kicked out of DBT, and from everything I’ve read/heard, Cooley was very sick of Isbell at that point.  They’ve since made up, and Cooley rarely talks about that time, but he did say an interview years ago that he went to see one of Jason’s early solo shows in Birmingham, and that Jason was a complete mess that night.

Its possible the song is about different people, but I highly doubt it.

Edited by Al_4_ISU

I did see a thing a few months back about Oberst bailing in the middle (beginning even?) of a Bright Eyes show for seemingly no reason. I wonder what his deal is. He wrote a song about his alcoholic brother drinking himself to death (on the Better Oblivion Community Center album, I think called “service road”), I didn’t get the impression that he has substance issues himself. But I really don’t know. I did rock some Fevers and Mirrors back in high school, Wide Awake is a great album, and I love this song 

shit and the better oblivion album with Phoebe Bridgers is great too. I keep meaning to check out her female super group

14 hours ago, 4th&Five said:

“In a year full of work, Isbell is also marking the 10th anniversary of the widely acclaimed Southeastern in September by releasing a new edition that includes a live recording of the original album, demos, and new packaging.”

I hope that has some of the Kim Richey stuff on it.  I told her that my favorite part of that record was hearing her harmony vocals "Relatively Easy" and "Stockholm".  She had the biggest smile and said, "Thanks for recognizing that.  It was sooooo much fun and so nice of him to ask me to do that."  

He also had Abby Owens sing on the album version of "Heart On A String".    I like Amanda's background vocals on certain songs, but her voice isn't as smooth as some songs seem to need.  

This song was released a couple of years ago, but it's recently gained pretty good traction on Austin radio.  The album was co-produced by Sadler Vaden from The 400 Unit.  

It's really growing on me.  I like the rough edge to her voice, and the hook is undeniable. 

(Not sorry if already posted.)

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

This song was released a couple of years ago, but it's recently gained pretty good traction on Austin radio.  The album was co-produced by Sadler Vaden from The 400 Unit.  

It's really growing on me.  I like the rough edge to her voice, and the hook is undeniable. 

(Not sorry if already posted.)

It's a great song, but the rest of the album never really caught me.

• Hook 'Em 1

18 minutes ago, Al_4_ISU said:

It's a great song, but the rest of the album never really caught me.

"The Night", which wasn't on her first album, is probably my favorite song of hers. She seems pretty intent on mainstream nashville success, so a lot of her more recent stuff is typically over-produced Nashville. 

• Hook 'Em 1

5 minutes ago, Pescado_Rojo said:

"The Night", which wasn't on her first album, is probably my favorite song of hers. She seems pretty intent on mainstream nashville success, so a lot of her more recent stuff is typically over-produced Nashville. 

Yeah, that's a great song as well.  That whole OurVinyl series is really good

I think she's a hell of a talent, but definitely looking for more mainstream success and will have to play that game to some extent.

• Hook 'Em 1

2 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Man, I can't hear that skewing to mainstream country.  It's a shame if that's where she's headed.  That song ("The Night") is hard to listen to, in the best way.  Thanks for posting it.

That version of The Night is the first song of hers I heard. Needless to say, I was pretty damn disappointed to hear what her album stuff sounded like. 

Edited by Seasick Sailor
  • Hook 'Em 3

he's absolutely right. in a streaming world, the way these guys make money now is by touring.  have to do it.  even big time acts are coming up with unconventional ways to release albums one song at a time, etc... to drive up stream counts but ultimately, gotta tour and gotta get those gates to maintain the income flow.

32 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

What kills me is my hifi bad self is determined to buy the CD, not the streamed mp3 shit.  So I pay double.

my list for this category has sadly gotten pretty small over the years.  sigur ros, i'll get the new p.g., max richter, ludovico eunaudi...not much else.

On 6/26/2023 at 10:43 AM, jimmyjazz said:

What kills me is my hifi bad self is determined to buy the CD, not the streamed mp3 shit.  So I pay double.

At an Americana forum with REK, Bruce Robison and a bunch of other folks, Bruce said that they make between $4,000-6,000 for every 1 million streams.  Years ago, he told me that people weren't going to be able to make albums because people weren't going to be buying albums.  That is where he got the idea for his "The Next Waltz" project.  Take one great song and one great artist.    I'm really glad he is compiling those and releasing them.  

This is probably my favorite they have done.  GREAT cover of a Kristofferson song.  

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

At an Americana forum with REK, Bruce Robison and a bunch of other folks, Bruce said that they make between $4,000-6,000 for every 1 million streams.  Years ago, he told me that people weren't going to be able to make albums because people weren't going to be buying albums.  That is where he got the idea for his "The Next Waltz" project.  Take one great song and one great artist.    I'm really glad he is compiling those and releasing them.  

This is probably my favorite they have done.  GREAT cover of a Kristofferson song.  

I'm partial to this one, and I hope it finds it's way into some kind of recognition from Turnpike, but given the timing of it's recording and all that, I think it will always just be an artifact of it's time and place.  I think this was the last thing Evan Felker did before disappearing into the Gulf Coast to drink himself sober over the course of a year.

Edited by Al_4_ISU
  • Like 2

On 6/25/2023 at 11:56 PM, tbone_ said:

Just bought tickets for Isbell July 11 in Tempe. Pretty stoked because my 16yo daughter appreciates his music enough to want to go with me.

In all seriousness, this is awesome. good for you! Not to be too preachy, but spend as much time as possible with her as you possibly can. As I’m learning (ours are 14 & 20), they grow up waayyyy too quickly. 🥲

Hope y’all have a great time!

• Like 2

In all seriousness, this is awesome. good for you! Not to be too preachy, but spend as much time as possible with her as you possibly can. As I’m learning (ours are 14 & 20), they grow up waayyyy too quickly. 🥲
Hope y’all have a great time!

Thanks. And 100% the plan.

The other day she sent me a video of her singing and playing songs she sang in the shower. I didn’t know she even knew of that song. Or that she is teaching herself how to play the piano.

Also in the video was when I was your man by Bruno Mars. And Hotel California. Wtf? I guess all these years of my brainwashing has had an affect after all. There may be hope for this one after all.
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...