Jason Isbell, Sturgill Simpson, Chris Stapleton, and Other Good Stuff

Seasick Sailor

22 hours ago, Celery Man said:

Also just because I was looking at the lineup of that festival near Austin soon (sister is going, lol wtf is Luda doing?) and saw Sierra Ferrell on it - she’s weird as hell and I’m kinda interested

She did one with The Mavericks that I love.  

• Fuck Around and Find Out 1

On 4/12/2024 at 8:32 PM, 4th&Five said:

DBT has a song about his death too. It’s probably more graphic. This seems personal towards Jason, honestly. 

Because it is. They had a falling out (JTE and Isbell), and the family doesn’t like him. Of course, everything I learned about this stupid ass non-story came from the gossip section of Saving Country Music. Someone claiming to be her father is going stark raving mad. 

The sad fact of it all is that JTE was a junkie that couldn't kick it.  I loved his music, but human frailties.  Perhaps he was doomed from birth, don't know.  Sad, tragic story all the way around.

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/13/2024 at 6:48 AM, Celery Man said:

Also just because I was looking at the lineup of that festival near Austin soon (sister is going, lol wtf is Luda doing?) and saw Sierra Ferrell on it - she’s weird as hell and I’m kinda interested

Sierra is fantastic.

I need to catch her before she blows up any bigger than she already is 

• Hook 'Em 1

18 hours ago, Kermit said:

Because it is. They had a falling out (JTE and Isbell), and the family doesn’t like him. Of course, everything I learned about this stupid ass non-story came from the gossip section of Saving Country Music. Someone claiming to be her father is going stark raving mad. 

Heard Isbell talk about JTE a couple of years ago in an interview.  He said JTE got pissed at Jason and Amanda after JTE split with his significant other.  Jason and Amanda wanted to stay friends with both and that upset JTE.  So, as there is no doubt, more to the story, it sounds like there was some high-maintenance drama coming from JTE's side of things.  Sounds like things are still a mess with his survivors.

On 4/4/2024 at 11:57 PM, GenXer said:

I happened to get on instagram about an hour ago, and John Moreland was live streaming. He played a new song from his new album; the album dropped during his live stream.

The song he played was the title track, visitor, on the new album.

I downloaded the album, and it’s damn good.

Been listening to this the last couple of days. Damn good. I'm enjoying much more than East October. 

29 minutes ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

Heard Isbell talk about JTE a couple of years ago in an interview.  He said JTE got pissed at Jason and Amanda after JTE split with his significant other.  Jason and Amanda wanted to stay friends with both and that upset JTE.  So, as there is no doubt, more to the story, it sounds like there was some high-maintenance drama coming from JTE's side of things.  Sounds like things are still a mess with his survivors.

caveat of I really didn't follow JTE's life and all the drama very closely so this is a general and not a specific comment but yeah, high maintenance drama is standard and there's a reason that al-anon and nar-anon (like AA or NA but for loved ones and codependents) exist

1 hour ago, Nigel Tufnel said:

I seem to remember Jason saying that Justin's girlfriend was one of Jason's roadies and Jason didn't fire her after they broke up and so JTE was pissed.

On 4/13/2024 at 6:48 AM, Celery Man said:

I've listened to this about 5 times a day since you posted it. What an incredible voice. Song is way too short though.

• Hook 'Em 2
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, Ten Bears said:

I've listened to this about 5 times a day since you posted it. What an incredible voice. Song is way too short though.

That song was off the John Anderson tribute album thst came out a few years ago. That’s a great live performance

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've already gotten the middle finger on the spring game thread . . . what do people see in this guy?  He's terrible.

Are you referencing Charley?  See him live before settling on an opinion would be my suggestion 

53 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I’ve tried to get into him but he sings from the top of his throat and I can’t get past that. He’s like cowboy Randy Newman.

You say that last sentence like it’s not an incredible compliment 

1 minute ago, Al_4_ISU said:

Are you referencing Charley?  

Yes.  I absollutely cannot stand what I've heard on the radio, and I've heard a bunch.  I'm definitely not paying money to see him.  Maybe if he opens for my daughter's band?  (I crack myself up, that would be a genre mismatch regardless of my feelings about his music.)

As always, opinions, assholes.

Yes.  I absollutely cannot stand what I've heard on the radio, and I've heard a bunch.  I'm definitely not paying money to see him.  Maybe if he opens for my daughter's band?  (I crack myself up, that would be a genre mismatch regardless of my feelings about his music.)

I saw him open for Turnpike years ago knowing nothing of him and really liked it. Sold me on him
  • Hook 'Em 1

I played bass in my old band for years before switching to guitar with the addition of a new guy. There was a period where I would still play bass on the old stuff and we’d switch instruments. He kept his bass way up next to his nipples and it annoyed the shit out of me. So Charley Crockett has that bias working against him as well.

19 minutes ago, Celery Man said:

I played bass in my old band for years before switching to guitar with the addition of a new guy. There was a period where I would still play bass on the old stuff and we’d switch instruments. He kept his bass way up next to his nipples and it annoyed the shit out of me. So Charley Crockett has that bias working against him as well.

I hate nipple bass, and I hate nipple guitar.  I play my guitar too low at this point, as I have some sort of weird arthritis or cancer or tuberculosis setting into my left index finger, so I'm going to have to shorten my strap, but if it goes too far I'm hanging it up.

On 4/20/2024 at 6:25 PM, jimmyjazz said:

Seeing Charley in a live setting is what turned me on to him.  Comments from the folks on either side of me:  "This dude is a live wire" and "He is a fucking minstrel".  

Most of his recordings don't seem to catch his magic.   Last time I saw him, he was opening for Turnpike.  The group next to us drove from Macon to Atlanta to see him...not Turnpike....then they were going back to Macon the next night to catch him as a headliner.  

13 minutes ago, hullabelew said:

Seeing Charley in a live setting is what turned me on to him.  Comments from the folks on either side of me:  "This dude is a live wire" and "He is a fucking minstrel".  

racist comedy central GIF

sister’s commentary from two step inn

IMG_7633.thumb.jpeg.8526ce56407a77b93662e3d82daccb89.jpeg

She also mentioned Wyatt Flores as being really good

That’s not a bad critique of Charley.

I like him but I get why people don’t.

And I second the opinion of needing to see him live.

that’s what helped sell me on him. The first two (Under the Big Sky Festival a few years again in Montana and at ACL Live December the same year) were absolutely incredible.

saw him at Innings Fest in Arizona a couple of months ago and didn’t have the same energy though. 

7 minutes ago, UTexasFight said:

that’s what helped sell me on him. The first two (Under the Big Sky Festival a few years again in Montana and at ACL Live December the same year) were absolutely incredible.

saw him at Innings Fest in Arizona a couple of months ago and didn’t have the same energy though. 

Forgot to add this link.

I think it does a good job covering the gamut on him 

https://www.texasmonthly.com/arts-entertainment/the-long-ride-of-charley-crockett/

I think Charley Crockett is fucking great, and I'm not really a country music aficionado. Related? I dunno.

I don't see how anyone could listen to Just a Clown and not get a smile on their face. He writes some great songs, IMO.

I do agree that he kind of comes across as playing a character and it can occasionally veer towards inauthenticity (is that a word?). Playing it up too much about being related to Davey Crockett, etc.

• Hook 'Em 1

4 hours ago, UTexasFight said:

I saw him open for Turnpike when they first started touring for A Long Way From Your Heart and I might have liked him less after that show. The "Frat boy trying to be an old time country singer" is a perfect description. Also, I caught them in St Louis at a venue called The Pageant and the sound guy was terrible. He had a small horn section and the horns were so loud it was almost all you could hear. Then Turnpike brought him out for Bossier City, and he brought his trumpet player with him and the trumpet was so fucking loud it ruined one of my favorite Turnpike tunes. 

I can't quit listening this from her newest album.  Not a huge fan of anything else on the album, but I LOVE this one.  She is king of the Whitney Rose, Nikki Lane arena to me, which is a good thing.  

And I just found this.  (and one of my favorite posts on this board's predecessor.  

21 hours ago, jimmyjazz said:

Yes, he strikes me as inauthentic.  Like Midland.

Regardless, I'm glad he resonates with a lot of people.  

Yes, completely see that.  I just liked that song, the other stuff not as much.

Previously unreleased Cash coming in two months.

https://relix.com/news/detail/listen-unheard-johnny-cash-album-songwriter-slated-for-release-with-preview-single-well-alright/?utm_source=Relix+Daily&utm_campaign=e2fea25acd-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2024_04_22_06_56&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_-e2fea25acd-[LIST_EMAIL_ID]&mc_cid=e2fea25acd&mc_eid=8abc911510

This summer, an unheard album from the great Johnny Cash will see public release after three decades in the vault. Set to arrive on June 28 via Mercury Nashville/UMe, Songwriter comprises 11 songs written by Cash through his first four decades of performance, pairing entries from his early outlaw era with then-new compositions for a portrait of the artist’s prowess on paper. Cash recorded and shelved the project in 1993, where it remained until being uncovered by John Carter Cash brought to bear with a dream team of the legend’s former collaborators and present devotees.  As a first taste, the Cash estate has released the preview single “Well Alright.”

“Well Alright” is well-suited to honor Cash’s voice, sharing a slice of life with his trademark grounded, folksy wit and keen eye for social convention. Warm electric twangs lead a shuffling, locomotive backbeat, courtesy of former bandmates guitarist Marty Stuart, drummer Pete Abbott and late bassist Dave Roe. Other contributors to the new arrangements supporting Cash include Vince Gill, who sings on “Poor Valley Girl,” and Dan Auerbach, who adds a guitar solo to “Spotlight.” This most exciting crossover here comes from the late legend Waylon Jennings, who shares duets with Cash on “I Love You Tonite” and album closer “Like a Soldier.”

IMG_9922.webp

• Hook 'Em 1

On 4/23/2024 at 10:07 AM, hullabelew said:

I can't quit listening this from her newest album.  Not a huge fan of anything else on the album, but I LOVE this one.  She is king of the Whitney Rose, Nikki Lane arena to me, which is a good thing.  

And I just found this.  (and one of my favorite posts on this board's predecessor.  

Dammit.   She is KIND OF in the Whitney Rose.......    I LOVE me some Whitney Rose.