Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

On 3/18/2021 at 1:55 PM, LCHorn said:

If Ashton Cozart doesn’t drive an 80’s Camaro then something is wrong with this world.  

Also if he's not checking out the weather charts to see if it's safe outside and if his sister early pearly in her curly wurly doesn't ask me if I needed a ride, well, I don't want to live.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/17/2021 at 8:59 AM, Fud said:

If you would have asked me two weeks ago, I would have preferred Arch over Ewers since there's a chance Ewers wouldn't beat out Card and would transfer, but now I'm thinking I'd prefer Ewers since he'd help bring Stewart back into the fold, would help flip Hudson, and would help land Hale in 2023 (assuming the staff wants him and pushes for him)

Little late here, but I can't get into 2023 recruiting much at all right now. That said, you're discussing 2022 some here and the Stewart comment is interesting, since I know you're pretty good at reading the tea leaves and all. You think Ewers is going to help Stewart's people get the right bag somehow? I think that one closes around signing day, and Texas might well land him, but I don't expect it matter much whether Ewers is coming to Texas. I guess it's a source off.

Wells

Spoiler

LB Anthony Hill Jr., Denton Ryan (2023):

One of the top prospects in-state for the 2023 cycle continues to compete in 7v7 and looks salty in coverage. For a guy destined for inside linebacker at the next level, the national target continues to hear from the usual suspects; Texas, Michigan, LSU, and Texas A&M.

He's building a relationship with Jeff Choate and remains a top priority for the new staff. He'll be a Top 10 in-state guy for the next class and will have 40 offers before he graduates.

He's fond of the SEC and people close feel like that might be where he's headed. He insists that's not the case and is only beginning the process of narrowing down schools soon. Texas will be in this one for the duration, so sit back and relax.

TE Luke Hasz, Bixby (OK) (2023):

At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, the unranked Oklahoma product won't be that way for long. I could see his stock soar when the networks release their new rankings soon.

He played wide receiver, tight end, and outside linebacker in his sophomore season, tallying 703 yards receiving on 32 catches, and nine touchdowns. He looked remarkable today, but suffered a hamstring injury after a scoring grab and missed the remainder of the tournament.

Ohio State, Penn State, Michigan State, and Florida State are among his 21 offers, and he recently was followed and contacted by coach Jeff Banks. If UT skips tight end in the 2022 cycle, Hasz is on my short list for preferred targets.

Roach

Spoiler

— DeSoto wide receiver Johntay Cook is looking forward to getting to Austin this summer for an unofficial visit. The 2023 pass-catcher said he wants to get to Texas, Oklahoma, Alabama, LSU and Florida right off the bat. Steve Sarkisian has been involved pretty early on in this one and he said that having the head coach involved is huge to him. Cook is excited to see what Texas puts on the field and how they look under Sarkisian and his offense this year and will be watching the spring game closely. It’s likely that this race could come down to Texas and Oklahoma in the end, but there’s still a ways to go. Cook probably won’t commit until next spring at the earliest.

— 2023 Denton Ryan linebacker Anthony Hill is starting to get a bit more serious about his recruitment. When I asked Hill who was standing out at the moment, he mentioned Texas A&M, Oklahoma, Texas and Ohio State as the schools recruiting him the most. Hill is being recruited by Jeff Banks and feels the contact with the new staff is way more consistent than the previous one. Hill plans to take an unofficial visit to Austin this summer. Texas is in a better spot than they used to be and there are some Texas-friendly voices near him at Ryan. Billy Bowman is trying his best to get Hill to Norman while Ja’Tavion Sanders works every day to get him to follow Sanders to Austin. Hill is a smart kid and wants to see development as part of a specific fit for him. This one will go for a while, but Texas is working its way up.

— 2023 Miami (Fla.) Gulliver Prep wide receiver Jalen Brown dominated action at this week’s tournament. Brown boasts a 10.74 100m time and a 21.36 200m. Those times are almost identical to what Evan Stewart ran coming out of his sophomore season and the two are built similarly. Texas has yet to offer but that probably changes soon. Andre Coleman is already following him on twitter, and he will likely be evaluated this week. Most Florida kids aren’t worth the pursuit, but Brown is a kid interested in academics talking up programs like Michigan, Notre Dame and Penn State. If Texas gets in early enough, they could generate some momentum and possibly have a chance to land the electric playmaker.

• Hook 'Em 1

2023 intial Rivals in-state rankings

'8) Jalen Hale- WR
10) Anthony Hill- LB
15) Jordan Renaud- SDE
21) Javien Toviano- CB
23) Dalton Brooks- ATH
25) Reuben Owens- RB
34) Jaden Greathouse- TE
36) David Hicks Jr- SDE
40) Avion Carter- SDE
43) Ryan Yaites- CB
44) Johntay Cooks II- WR
51) Jaquaize Pettaway- WR
62) Tre Wisner- ATH
68) Dylan Spencer- SDE
71) Harris Sewell- OG
72) Deldrick Madison- CB
83) Jacoby Davis- CB
99) Jamel Johnson- CB

Edited by Fud
  • Haha 4

23 hours ago, Sir Ulrich said:

Anybody have this?

Formatting is a pain in the ass with rivals national articles and I'm not fucking with it, so deal with it

Spoiler

NEW ORLEANS --

Arch Manning

NATL

-

ST

-

POS

Arch

Manning

UNDECIDED

6'3" | 190 lbs | PRO QB

Isidore Newman School

New Orleans, LA

is one of only four five-stars in the inaugural batch of 2023 rankings.

The elite quarterback -- who comes from the first family of quarterbacks -- is in the early stages of his recruitment, diving in alongside his parents, grandfather and coaches for the first time this offseason.

Manning has maintained a wide-open approach as he sits down, virtually, with coaches from all over the country. He's enjoyed FaceTimes and Zoom conferences with the likes of Texas, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Virginia, Ole Miss and Tennessee, among others. Auburn also recently reached out about Manning.

Between a playoff basketball run that led all the way to state championships and his newfound passion for track and field -- not to mention spring football returning Uptown at the start of May -- Manning and his close circle have been "fitting in" these conversations with college coaches and the early returns have "laid back" and "easy."

The focus, for now, has been on building relationships with coaches and taking a closer look at different offensive schemes and doing research on as many campuses and universities as possible.

"Some of them have been about getting to know the coaches, an introductory call to see what the college is about ... some coaches talk more Xs and Os and football, but I'm enjoying all of them," Manning told Rivals.

These relationships are a main area of focus for Manning and his family and coaches as they navigate through the early stages of his recruitment along with offensive philosophies, location of universities and, of course, the educational side of things.

"I really think the coaching staff and offensive style," Manning continues. "Everywhere they have quarterbacks and athletes all over the place, so I know I got to go in and compete. Also, it has a lot to do with the college town. New Orleans has been a great place growing up, so whatever town and what it has to offer would be awesome. I'm not just going for the football. It's also about academics, too, and what the college has to offer."

"I'm just excited to see what all these colleges have to offer," he added. "I'm excited to be in this process and I'm grateful to be here."

MORE: QB ARCH MANNING BRACES FOR LEADERSHIP ROLE ENTERING JUNIOR YEAR

NATL

-

ST

-

POS

Arch

Manning

UNDECIDED

6'3" | 190 lbs | PRO QB | 2023

Isidore Newman School

New Orleans, LA

First-year Texas coach Steve Sarkisian has been on the receiving end of Zoom calls with the Mannings much of the offseason. The most recent was on Friday night after the quarterback placed third in the high jump at his very first track and field meet.

"We Zoomed with Sark and went over some football stuff with Coach (Nelson) Stew," Manning said of the Longhorns. "He doesn't have to say much because I know about his background. He knows how to coach quarterbacks and he's a great coach. I'm excited to see what he does over there at Texas."

Alabama head coach Nick Saban recently Zoomed with Manning and his father, Cooper. The younger Manning admitted to being nervous for his conversation with the seven-time national champ whose resume speaks for itself.

"It was exciting. I was pacing for about 30 minutes before," Manning laughed. "It was cool seeing him on a Zoom, just me and my dad, and it was cool. He really said everything you'd want to hear as a player to go play at Alabama. It was just exciting. I was so nervous."

Manning is also close with recent Alabama commitment

Ty Simpson

NATL

ST

POS

Ty

Simpson

VERBAL COMMIT

2/26/2021

Alabama

6'2" | 185 lbs | PRO QB

Westview

Martin, TN

and hopes to learn more about the Tide through the eyes of Simpson. Alabama is one of a handful of visits Manning expects to make this June along with Texas and Clemson.

Clemson quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter has been leading the Tigers' charge for Manning. Their recent track record of quarterbacks from projected first overall pick

Trevor Lawrenc

NATL

ST

POS

Trevor

Lawrence

SIGNED LOI

12/15/2016

Clemson

6'5" | 200 lbs | PRO QB

Cartersville

Cartersville, GA

e toDJ Uiagalelei

NATL

ST

POS

D.J.

Uiagalelei

SIGNED LOI

5/5/2019

Clemson

6'4" | 235 lbs | PRO QB

St. John Bosco

Bellflower, CA

and professional demeanor has certainly caught Manning's attention.

"I think Clemson has a great culture," he said. "They have guys staying fourth and fifth years constantly. I really admire the culture over there. They're a winning program and it seems like family over there and I admire that a lot."

Notre Dame extended its first round of 2023 overtures in March and Manning was the first quarterback to receive an offer from Brian Kelly's staff. Manning is friends with projected starter

Drew Pyne

NATL

ST

POS

Drew

Pyne

SIGNED LOI

4/16/2018

Notre Dame

6'0" | 181 lbs | PRO QB

New Canaan

New Canaan, CT

and will keep close tabs on both Pyne and the Notre Dame offer coming up this season.

"Notre Dame -- that was awesome," Manning said. "They're really impressive. It always seems like they're always getting really good guys there, and really good offensive linemen. I also keep up with Drew Pyne. He's a really nice guy and that was awesome. Notre Dame has a really historical college football program and I'm excited to see what Drew can do and get to know them more."

Manning has obvious family ties to a pair of SEC programs in Tennessee and Ole Miss. Of course, his uncle Peyton played for the Vols, who just tabbed Josh Heupel as their next coach. Heupel and his staff have had some early talks with the Mannings as they began spring practice last weekend and there's a sense of excitement about this new pieces in place in Knoxville, Tenn.

"I really enjoyed talking to the new staff at Tennessee and we had a really nice conversation," Manning said. "They had their first spring practice (on Saturday) and I'm excited to see what they can do. I don't know much about them yet, but I think they'll throw it around a bunch and I can't wait to watch."

Manning's grandfather, of course, starred for Ole Miss and the Mannings have a house in Oxford, Miss., which has opened the door for Arch to get a close-up look at the program in the past and going forward. He's also seen major strides in the Ole Miss offense under quarterback

Matt Corral

NATL

ST

POS

Matt

Corral

SIGNED LOI

12/14/2017

Mississippi

6'2" | 185 lbs | PRO QB

Poly

Long Beach, CA

and Lane Kiffin going into his second season.

Manning is also bonded with incoming freshman

Luke Altmyer,

NATL

ST

POS

Luke

Altmyer

SIGNED LOI

12/4/2020

Mississippi

6'2" | 195 lbs | PRO QB

Starkville

Starkville, MS

another QB Country student-athlete, giving him another lens into the program.

"We have a house in Oxford so I go to Oxford and Ole Miss a lot," Manning said. "It's a great town and I like the new staff. They made a splash last year recruiting-wise and they had a good year throwing the ball. I keep up with Luke Altmeyer, who's gonna be a good player, and Matt Corral, too. I'm really excited for Coach Kiffin's second year to see what they can do and I'm exciting getting to know them a little bit, too."

Another program with family ties is Virginia. The ACC program will have another Louisiana quarterback in the mix for the 2021 season in New Orleans'

Keytaon Thompson

NATL

ST

POS

Keytaon

Thompson

SIGNED LOI

12/18/2015

Mississippi St

6'4" | 210 lbs | DUAL QB

Landry-Walker

New Orleans, LA

and Manning's mother and aunt are both alums. This fall, Manning's sister will move to Virginia as a freshman on the volleyball squad.

"It's funny," Manning began. "My mom went there, my aunt went there and my sister is going there this year, so I'll definitely go to Virginia to visit my sister and check out the football program. I've kept my recruitment open and I haven't excluded anyone, so I'm excited to see and visit a bunch of different colleges. Virginia is a really good college and it would be an awesome experience to go there."

LSU was among the first to extend an offer to Manning and a good chunk of the current staff has been working to keep Manning in-state. Head coach Ed Orgeron is also heavily involved and often gets on FaceTimes with the 2023 quarterback.

The return of offensive coordinator Jake Peetz -- who was on the Carolina Panthers' offensive staff when Joe Brady -- has also caught Manning’s eye.

"The LSU coaches are good recruiters and they're gonna bring back what they had with Joe in 2019," Manning said. "I'm really excited for them this season, whether it's Myles (Brennan) or Max (Johnson); they're gonna have a good year with good athletes and I'm excited. They have some good recruiters and I like Coach Peetz a lot.

"I usually FaceTime with the LSU coaches and it's laid-back. They're all in their office talking and I'll get Coach O on the phone for a few seconds and it's just really fun. They're good recruiters and I like what they're doing and I think they're gonna get them going again this year."

• Hook 'Em 4

17 minutes ago, Fud said:

Formatting is a pain in the ass with rivals national articles and I'm not fucking with it, so deal with it

Hide contents

NEW ORLEANS --

Arch Manning

NATL

-

ST

-

POS

Arch

Manning

UNDECIDED

6'3" | 190 lbs | PRO QB

Isidore Newman School

New Orleans, LA

The elite quarterback -- who comes from the first family of quarterbacks -- is in the early stages of his recruitment, diving in alongside his parents, grandfather and coaches for the first time this offseason.

Manning has maintained a wide-open approach as he sits down, virtually, with coaches from all over the country. He's enjoyed FaceTimes and Zoom conferences with the likes of Texas, Alabama, Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Notre Dame, Virginia, Ole Miss and Tennessee, among others. Auburn also recently reached out about Manning.

Between a playoff basketball run that led all the way to state championships and his newfound passion for track and field -- not to mention spring football returning Uptown at the start of May -- Manning and his close circle have been "fitting in" these conversations with college coaches and the early returns have "laid back" and "easy."

The focus, for now, has been on building relationships with coaches and taking a closer look at different offensive schemes and doing research on as many campuses and universities as possible.

"Some of them have been about getting to know the coaches, an introductory call to see what the college is about ... some coaches talk more Xs and Os and football, but I'm enjoying all of them," Manning told Rivals.

These relationships are a main area of focus for Manning and his family and coaches as they navigate through the early stages of his recruitment along with offensive philosophies, location of universities and, of course, the educational side of things.

"I really think the coaching staff and offensive style," Manning continues. "Everywhere they have quarterbacks and athletes all over the place, so I know I got to go in and compete. Also, it has a lot to do with the college town. New Orleans has been a great place growing up, so whatever town and what it has to offer would be awesome. I'm not just going for the football. It's also about academics, too, and what the college has to offer."

"I'm just excited to see what all these colleges have to offer," he added. "I'm excited to be in this process and I'm grateful to be here."

NATL

-

ST

-

POS

Arch

Manning

UNDECIDED

Isidore Newman School

New Orleans, LA

First-year Texas coach Steve Sarkisian has been on the receiving end of Zoom calls with the Mannings much of the offseason. The most recent was on Friday night after the quarterback placed third in the high jump at his very first track and field meet.

"We Zoomed with Sark and went over some football stuff with Coach (Nelson) Stew," Manning said of the Longhorns. "He doesn't have to say much because I know about his background. He knows how to coach quarterbacks and he's a great coach. I'm excited to see what he does over there at Texas."

Alabama head coach Nick Saban recently Zoomed with Manning and his father, Cooper. The younger Manning admitted to being nervous for his conversation with the seven-time national champ whose resume speaks for itself.

"It was exciting. I was pacing for about 30 minutes before," Manning laughed. "It was cool seeing him on a Zoom, just me and my dad, and it was cool. He really said everything you'd want to hear as a player to go play at Alabama. It was just exciting. I was so nervous."

Ty Simpson

NATL

ST

POS

Ty

Simpson

VERBAL COMMIT

2/26/2021

Alabama

6'2" | 185 lbs | PRO QB

Westview

Martin, TN

and hopes to learn more about the Tide through the eyes of Simpson. Alabama is one of a handful of visits Manning expects to make this June along with Texas and Clemson.

Clemson quarterbacks coach Brandon Streeter has been leading the Tigers' charge for Manning. Their recent track record of quarterbacks from projected first overall pick

Trevor Lawrenc

NATL

ST

POS

Trevor

Lawrence

SIGNED LOI

12/15/2016

Clemson

6'5" | 200 lbs | PRO QB

Cartersville

Cartersville, GA

e toDJ Uiagalelei

NATL

ST

POS

D.J.

Uiagalelei

SIGNED LOI

5/5/2019

Clemson

6'4" | 235 lbs | PRO QB

St. John Bosco

Bellflower, CA

"I think Clemson has a great culture," he said. "They have guys staying fourth and fifth years constantly. I really admire the culture over there. They're a winning program and it seems like family over there and I admire that a lot."

Notre Dame extended its first round of 2023 overtures in March and Manning was the first quarterback to receive an offer from Brian Kelly's staff. Manning is friends with projected starter

Drew Pyne

NATL

ST

POS

Drew

Pyne

SIGNED LOI

4/16/2018

Notre Dame

6'0" | 181 lbs | PRO QB

New Canaan

New Canaan, CT

and will keep close tabs on both Pyne and the Notre Dame offer coming up this season.

"Notre Dame -- that was awesome," Manning said. "They're really impressive. It always seems like they're always getting really good guys there, and really good offensive linemen. I also keep up with Drew Pyne. He's a really nice guy and that was awesome. Notre Dame has a really historical college football program and I'm excited to see what Drew can do and get to know them more."

Manning has obvious family ties to a pair of SEC programs in Tennessee and Ole Miss. Of course, his uncle Peyton played for the Vols, who just tabbed Josh Heupel as their next coach. Heupel and his staff have had some early talks with the Mannings as they began spring practice last weekend and there's a sense of excitement about this new pieces in place in Knoxville, Tenn.

"I really enjoyed talking to the new staff at Tennessee and we had a really nice conversation," Manning said. "They had their first spring practice (on Saturday) and I'm excited to see what they can do. I don't know much about them yet, but I think they'll throw it around a bunch and I can't wait to watch."

Manning's grandfather, of course, starred for Ole Miss and the Mannings have a house in Oxford, Miss., which has opened the door for Arch to get a close-up look at the program in the past and going forward. He's also seen major strides in the Ole Miss offense under quarterback

Matt Corral

NATL

ST

POS

Matt

Corral

SIGNED LOI

12/14/2017

Mississippi

6'2" | 185 lbs | PRO QB

Poly

Long Beach, CA

Luke Altmyer,

NATL

ST

POS

Luke

Altmyer

SIGNED LOI

12/4/2020

Mississippi

6'2" | 195 lbs | PRO QB

Starkville

Starkville, MS

"We have a house in Oxford so I go to Oxford and Ole Miss a lot," Manning said. "It's a great town and I like the new staff. They made a splash last year recruiting-wise and they had a good year throwing the ball. I keep up with Luke Altmeyer, who's gonna be a good player, and Matt Corral, too. I'm really excited for Coach Kiffin's second year to see what they can do and I'm exciting getting to know them a little bit, too."

Another program with family ties is Virginia. The ACC program will have another Louisiana quarterback in the mix for the 2021 season in New Orleans'

Keytaon Thompson

NATL

ST

POS

Keytaon

Thompson

SIGNED LOI

12/18/2015

Mississippi St

6'4" | 210 lbs | DUAL QB

Landry-Walker

New Orleans, LA

and Manning's mother and aunt are both alums. This fall, Manning's sister will move to Virginia as a freshman on the volleyball squad.

"It's funny," Manning began. "My mom went there, my aunt went there and my sister is going there this year, so I'll definitely go to Virginia to visit my sister and check out the football program. I've kept my recruitment open and I haven't excluded anyone, so I'm excited to see and visit a bunch of different colleges. Virginia is a really good college and it would be an awesome experience to go there."

LSU was among the first to extend an offer to Manning and a good chunk of the current staff has been working to keep Manning in-state. Head coach Ed Orgeron is also heavily involved and often gets on FaceTimes with the 2023 quarterback.

The return of offensive coordinator Jake Peetz -- who was on the Carolina Panthers' offensive staff when Joe Brady -- has also caught Manning’s eye.

"The LSU coaches are good recruiters and they're gonna bring back what they had with Joe in 2019," Manning said. "I'm really excited for them this season, whether it's Myles (Brennan) or Max (Johnson); they're gonna have a good year with good athletes and I'm excited. They have some good recruiters and I like Coach Peetz a lot.

"I usually FaceTime with the LSU coaches and it's laid-back. They're all in their office talking and I'll get Coach O on the phone for a few seconds and it's just really fun. They're good recruiters and I like what they're doing and I think they're gonna get them going again this year."

CTJ talked about this being a much larger deal if she ended up at Texas

This fall, Manning's sister will move to Virginia as a freshman on the volleyball squad.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

2023 intial Rivals in-state rankings

'8) Jalen Hale- WR
10) Anthony Hill- LB
15) Jordan Renaud- SDE
21) Javien Toviano- CB
23) Dalton Brooks- ATH
25) Reuben Owens- RB
34) Jaden Greathouse- TE
36) David Hicks Jr- SDE
40) Avion Carter- SDE
43) Ryan Yaites- CB
44) Johntay Cooks II- WR
51) Jaquaize Pettaway- WR
62) Tre Wisner- ATH
68) Dylan Spencer- SDE
71) Harris Sewell- OG
72) Deldrick Madison- CB
83) Jacoby Davis- CB
99) Jamel Johnson- CB

Also notable Arch Manning coming in at #3 in this update. Malachi Nelson #2.

34 minutes ago, UncleSonny said:

Also notable Arch Manning coming in at #3 in this update. Malachi Nelson #2.

The #1 prospect the country's dad went to OU, but both of his parents apparently worked at A&M, and he's more likely to end up at one of the typical football recruiting powers or A&M than OU

Also OU is apparently in a good spot for the WR who's ranked #4 overall

3 hours ago, Fud said:

The #1 prospect the country's dad went to OU, but both of his parents apparently worked at A&M, and he's more likely to end up at one of the typical football recruiting powers or A&M than OU

Also OU is apparently in a good spot for the WR who's ranked #4 overall

For anyone else who may not yet be up to speed on 2023.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2023/lebbeus-overton-237434

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2023/brandon-inniss-213059

• Hook 'Em 1

Wells on Owens

Spoiler

RB Rueben Owens, El Campo (2023) (TEXAS):

The four-star pledge has been working hard this spring. If it's not traveling with his 7v7 squad, he's killing it on the track. One of the nation's top tailbacks was also invited to the Army All-American Bowl and Under Armour All American game last week. He's still working and the goal remains; state track meet.

"I'm doing great right now," said Owens, aka the Black Unicorn. "My district track meet is today and tomorrow. I'll be in the long jump, 100m, 4x1, and 4x2 relays."

Owens was also named to the Max Preps All American first team for 2020. At 5-foot-11, 190, Owens continues to set the pace for in-state tailbacks for 2023.

"My goal is 10.5 in the 100," Owens said. "My fastest time so far in 10.8. I'm going for 23' or 24 on the jump." (He hit 22.7 feet to capture the gold hours ago)

Behind the scenes, Owens continues to recruit for the Horns. For now, it's back to work.

6 hours ago, Fud said:

Reveal hidden contents

NEW ORLEANS --

Arch Manning

NATL

-

ST

-

POS

Arch

Manning

UNDECIDED

6'3" | 190 lbs | PRO QB

Isidore Newman School

New Orleans, LA

NATL

-

ST

-

POS

Arch

Manning

UNDECIDED

Isidore Newman School

New Orleans, LA

Ty Simpson

NATL

ST

POS

Ty

Simpson

VERBAL COMMIT

2/26/2021

Alabama

6'2" | 185 lbs | PRO QB

Westview

Martin, TN

Trevor Lawrenc

NATL

ST

POS

Trevor

Lawrence

SIGNED LOI

12/15/2016

Clemson

6'5" | 200 lbs | PRO QB

Cartersville

Cartersville, GA

e toDJ Uiagalelei

NATL

ST

POS

D.J.

Uiagalelei

SIGNED LOI

5/5/2019

Clemson

6'4" | 235 lbs | PRO QB

St. John Bosco

Bellflower, CA

Drew Pyne

NATL

ST

POS

Drew

Pyne

SIGNED LOI

4/16/2018

Notre Dame

6'0" | 181 lbs | PRO QB

New Canaan

New Canaan, CT

Matt Corral

NATL

ST

POS

Matt

Corral

SIGNED LOI

12/14/2017

Mississippi

6'2" | 185 lbs | PRO QB

Poly

Long Beach, CA

Luke Altmyer,

NATL

ST

POS

Luke

Altmyer

SIGNED LOI

12/4/2020

Mississippi

6'2" | 195 lbs | PRO QB

Starkville

Starkville, MS

Keytaon Thompson

NATL

ST

POS

Keytaon

Thompson

SIGNED LOI

12/18/2015

Mississippi St

6'4" | 210 lbs | DUAL QB

Landry-Walker

New Orleans, LA

So still us, Bama and Clemson at the top with visits coming this summer. All these articles make it sound like Sark is his guy.

Also interesting that he mentions the college town as a factor. Surprisingly most recruits don't mention that. Idk shit about Clemson but that seems like a big advantage UT.

14 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

So still us, Bama and Clemson at the top with visits coming this summer. All these articles make it sound like Sark is his guy.

Also interesting that he mentions the college town as a factor. Surprisingly most recruits don't mention that. Idk shit about Clemson but that seems like a big advantage UT.

If Texas doesn’t flip Ewers, this one feels like Texas vs Bama early 

• Hook 'Em 1

Just now, Fud said:

If Texas doesn’t flip Ewers, this one feels like Texas vs Bama early 

Probably so. I kind of like that he's close with Ty Simpson. Seems like most people wouldn't love competing for a 1 person job with a good friend who's also elite and will be a RS FR at the time.

Initial Top247 rankings:

Spoiler

5. Arch Manning

6. Malachi Nelson

11. Anthony Hill

24. Jalen Hale

37. Reuben Owens (Texas commit)

42. David Hicks

47. Anthony James (A&M commit)

53. Jordan Renaud

65. Jaquaize Pettaway

79. Jaden Greathouse

85. Javien Toviano

86. Johntay Cook II

102. Dalton Brooks

107. Harris Sewell

112. Braxton Myers

123. Avion Carter

126. Jayvon Thomas

139. Peyton Bowen

161. Enow Etta

164. Isaiah Crawford

169. Jamel Johnson

171. Braylon James

177. Ashton Porter

178. Dylan Spencer

184. Isaiah Robinson

187. Mikal Harrison-Pilot

193. Jonah Wilson

198. Jacoby Davis

200. Christian Brathwaite

223. Ryan Yaites

233. Isaiah Kema

234. Brenden Jordan

236. Cordale Russell

247. Markis Deal

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick at Nite: Texas expected to host big 2023 visitors in June

Spoiler

A source who spoke with Horns247 on Wednesday night indicated that a big group of 2023 prospects could be visiting Texas in June.  The same source said that they expect New Orleans (La.) Isidore Newman five-star quarterback Arch Manning to take an unofficial visit to Texas on June 9-11 as part of the group.

With talks that the emergency NCAA dead period could be lifted after its May 31 expiration date, Texas along with schools across the country are scheduling visits for 2022 and 2023 prospects, and the Longhorns will have an early opportunity to grab the attention of Manning on just the second expected visit weekend after the dead period is lifted.

Manning has built a strong relationship with 2023 Texas commit Rueben Owens II in the time since Owens committed as the two talk routinely and want to make their Texas visit together in June. Manning has also been in heavy contact with the Texas staff with Steve Sarkisian spearheading the efforts.

“Obviously he was really successful at Alabama,” Manning said about Sarkisian to 247Sports' Director of Recruiting Steve Wiltfong back in early March. “I think he’s going to get Texas going for sure and I’m just really excited to see what they can do. He knows how to run an offense and put receivers in the end zone and he’s definitely a great developer of quarterbacks and that’s awesome.”

Schools such as LSU, Alabama, Clemson, Ole Miss, Tennessee and many others will also be vying for a visit this summer from the nephew of Eli and Peyton Manning, but Texas will get the opportunity to make the early impression on the second visit weekend.

At 6-foot-3.5, 200 pounds, Manning is the No. 3 overall prospect in the country for the class of 2023, according to 247Sports Composite. He is the No. 1 quarterback in the country and the No. 1 recruit from the state of Louisiana.

• Hook 'Em 2

Wells

Spoiler

WR Jonah Wilson, Spring Dekaney (2023):

He may be listed at wide receiver, but after watching the 6-foot-3, 200-pounder at the True Buzz Invitational, tight end might be in his future.

The converted quarterback caught 18 passes, 422 yards receiving, and seven touchdowns for his first time at full-time pass-catcher. He also runs track (200 meters, 400 meters) and was once a promising basketball player.

"I really like the schools that offered," said Wilson. "Texas A&M, LSU, North Texas, UTSA, and Pitt. "I'm blessed to have A&M as my first offer from coach Price. I've visited College Station before and really enjoyed the campus. LSU is my dream school, and watching all those great receivers makes me love that purple and gold."

Recently named a four-star by 247, Wilson boasts six offers including LSU, Texas A&M, UH, and Pittsburgh.

What about the Horns?

"I'd be glad to have an offer from Texas," said Wilson. "I just need a place that can bring me in, make me feel like I'm at home, and give me something other than football to look forward to."

He lacks the speed you desire at the position, but does everything else really well. His wingspan is massive, and frame unfulfilled, furthering my notion he might end up at tight end in college. At this time, he wants to schedule some trips this summer and hopes to hear from more schools.

• Hook 'Em 1

Got told that if Arch were to make his decision today, it's LSU. Obviously we're miles away from this being remotely over, and LSU sucking ass for 2 straight years will have an effect on his decision, but that's where he is right now. 

• Drool 1