Texas Recruiting Notes 2023: Strippers, Monkeys, and 5-Stars

Machinator

11 hours ago, markstanco said:
12 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:
His rich family does not need any bags so fuck Georgia in their Smart ass.  So let's break this down.  He is not going to play for Joey Freshwater despite Grandpa Archie's legend.  He is not going to play for a scandal ridden LSU team led by the pussy chasing illiterate Cajun.  He is not close enough to his Uncle Peyton to go to the dumpster fire that is Tennessee.  Cutliffe is like family so Duke has a fighting slim chance.  Mack Brown, good God no.  Alabama and Buttchin, bad move.  Texas and Sark is the easy pick.  

Sounds great. But it grandpa is shelling out money for cars and such, he will go where he is told.

Don't know gramps at all but he didn't make Peyton go to Ole Miss.  Plus Cooper is pretty rich in his own right.  Irrelevant as I don't think that's how Archie operates.

1 hour ago, Fud said:

If you would have asked me two weeks ago, I would have preferred Arch over Ewers since there's a chance Ewers wouldn't beat out Card and would transfer, but now I'm thinking I'd prefer Ewers since he'd help bring Stewart back into the fold, would help flip Hudson, and would help land Hale in 2023 (assuming the staff wants him and pushes for him)

Interesting.  You think if Maalik is the QB Stewart will not be here?  I'll take Ewers all day and pass on Manning if that's how it wants to go.  I would think if Ewers passes on Texas, we likely lead for Manning.

• Hook 'Em 1

12 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

Interesting.  You think if Maalik is the QB Stewart will not be here?  I'll take Ewers all day and pass on Manning if that's how it wants to go.  I would think if Ewers passes on Texas, we likely lead for Manning.

It's more that Ewers would have a good shot of convincing Stewart to re-join the class.

• Hook 'Em 2

22 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

I think Ewers would make Stewart more likely 

• Hook 'Em 1

Nick Harris:  Elite 2023 cornerback Javien Toviano discusses Texas and Martin's pipeline to Austin

Spoiler

Elite 2023 cornerback Javien Toviano discusses Texas and Martin's pipeline to Austin

Nick Harris

ARLINGTON, Texas — Arlington (Texas) Martin 2023 cornerback Javien Toviano didn't have to go far on Sunday afternoon to compete in the Under Armour All-American Camp Series stop in Dallas as the event was held right around the corner from his house at Martin High School.

Toviano competed well against 2022 and 2023 competition as he continues to prove to be one of the best cover cornerbacks in the state of Texas for the class of 2023.

"It was pretty cool coming out here and competing with some of the top players in the area and around the state," Toviano said. "It was a cool experience just to get with those guys. I'm just trying to get faster and stronger while working on technique."

On the recruitment side of things, Texas, Texas A&M, Baylor, Oregon and Oklahoma State were mentioned as schools staying the most in contact with Toviano. His relationship with Texas has been facilitated by Jeff Banks, cornerbacks coach Terry Joseph and head coach Steve Sarkisian.

"Jeff Banks, Terry Joseph, those are my main guys," he said. "Coach Sark, we talk about football stuff and how we're doing with school and stuff. Those are the main conversations, just staying in contact and staying in touch. They bring a lot of energy, you can tell they care about their players."

A pipeline has begun to form at Martin High School for Texas after the Longhorns signed linebacker Morice Blackwell in the 2021 class and have already landed the commitment of linebacker Trevell Johnson in the 2022 class.

"Yessir, there definitely is (a pipeline)," he said. "I hear about it from them every day so it's cool knowing that those guys are there and it's definitely one I consider. It impacts a lot since they're guys that I grew up looking up to, and then being able to play with them this past year. It's been a cool experience, being able to play with them in college would be cool also."

Aside from the coaching staff and already having two teammates signed or committed to the Longhorns, Toviano has also taken notice of the brand of Texas football and looks forward to getting to Austin to see it for himself.

"The brand of football, the tenacity that they play with, the coaches, their energy," he said about things he liked about the Longhorns. "Staying in Texas, they're a big powerhouse here."

The visit process will obviously be important for Toviano as he plans on hitting most of his in-state offers, including Texas, while also getting out to Oregon at some point during the visit process.

"It's gonna be very important," Toviano said. "Obviously, I wanna see the campuses that are gonna be contending for me."

At 6-foot-0, 185 pounds, Toviano is not yet rated by 247Sports.

• Hook 'Em 1

13 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

His rich family does not need any bags so fuck Georgia in their Smart ass.  So let's break this down.  He is not going to play for Joey Freshwater despite Grandpa Archie's legend.  He is not going to play for a scandal ridden LSU team led by the pussy chasing illiterate Cajun.  He is not close enough to his Uncle Peyton to go to the dumpster fire that is Tennessee.  Cutliffe is like family so Duke has a fighting slim chance.  Mack Brown, good God no.  Alabama and Buttchin, bad move.  Texas and Sark is the easy pick.  

Agree except you forgot Clemson. They're likely a real player. And buttchin isn't the huge deterrent you say, as others have suggested. The real issue with Bama is BoB probably takes another job before Arch is QB so he won't know who his real OC is. I don't see the Mannings leaving that up to chance. At Texas, you know you've got Sark regardless of assistants.

So I think it's Texas vs. Clemson and I'm not sure Clemson has offered. Curious what exactly this alleged deleted 247 tweet said..

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Agree except you forgot Clemson. They're likely a real player. And buttchin isn't the huge deterrent you say, as others have suggested. The real issue with Bama is BoB probably takes another job before Arch is QB so he won't know who his real OC is. I don't see the Mannings leaving that up to chance. At Texas, you know you've got Sark regardless of assistants.

So I think it's Texas vs. Clemson and I'm not sure Clemson has offered. Curious what exactly this alleged deleted 247 tweet said..

if BoB leaves, Saban will land another OC of equal quality.  Bama should be a factor.

• Hook 'Em 1

29 minutes ago, closetohumping said:

if BoB leaves, Saban will land another OC of equal quality.  Bama should be a factor.

Probably true and yeah Bama is a factor, but the Mannings don't seem to be the type willing to leave a huge factor like that as an unknown. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Clemson isn't a real player until they offer, and it's not a lock that they will. They never offered Ewers 

1 hour ago, Tex-19 said:

Probably true and yeah Bama is a factor, but the Mannings don't seem to be the type willing to leave a huge factor like that as an unknown. 

Texas is on it's 4th HC since Nick Saban has been at Alabama. I think it's probably far easier for Saban to point out that he will continue to hire quality OCs that will ensure Arch's development for the NFL than it is for Texas to sell anything at all because he's done it over and over and over and over and over. Arch clearly likes Sark but anyone discounting Saban in that recruitment, no matter your feelings on that moron BoB, is likely doing it at your own peril. Ty Simpson was all but locked up to Clemson a year ago and Clemson has an outstanding resume/product and still he committed to Bama because: Saban. Even with a change in OC. 

• Hook 'Em 3
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, golfclap said:

Texas is on it's 4th HC since Nick Saban has been at Alabama. I think it's probably far easier for Saban to point out that he will continue to hire quality OCs that will ensure Arch's development for the NFL than it is for Texas to sell anything at all because he's done it over and over and over and over and over. Arch clearly likes Sark but anyone discounting Saban in that recruitment, no matter your feelings on that moron BoB, is likely doing it at your own peril. Ty Simpson was all but locked up to Clemson a year ago and Clemson has an outstanding resume/product and still he committed to Bama because: Saban. Even with a change in OC. 

I’m unbelievably bullish on Sark but yea.  Saban

17 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Alabama and Buttchin, bad move. 

16 hours ago, markstanco said:
17 hours ago, lemonandaturd said:

Sounds great. But it grandpa is shelling out money for cars and such, he will go where he is told.

Wow. This is the good stuff right here. 

4 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Wow. This is the good stuff right here. 

You know what man, fuck you for collecting that pile of shit all into a nice wrapped box and putting a goddamn bow on it for us to read. It’s like Faces of Death, The Message Board Viscera. Or even worse, is like you distilled a new cologne called Calvin Klein’s Football Board. Goddamn Motherfucker. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, maninblack said:

I'll also take Ewers talent now rather than wait on the potential of Manning. 

The pro part of Arch is that there's more separation between he and Card, if you're a Card believer 

2 hours ago, SydneyCarton said:

You know what man, fuck you for collecting that pile of shit all into a nice wrapped box and putting a goddamn bow on it for us to read. It’s like Faces of Death, The Message Board Viscera. Or even worse, is like you distilled a new cologne called Calvin Klein’s Football Board. Goddamn Motherfucker. 

524ssj.jpg 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Machinator said:

There is probably a disconnect between the way adult Texas fans view BoB and the national recruit perception of BoB in the college football world, especially as the Texans continue to crumble with him long gone.

lol 5 months is ‘long gone’? What moves would you have made to improve the roster in that timeframe?

Am I the only one who thinks hs coaches don't really give a fuck where their kids end up as long as they win and get scouted? It just seems stupid to think so and so went to aggy, so he's just going to send (athlete) to aggy. 
I don't think they have that kind of power over kids. Maybe some, but I think that's very few. 
They can certainly influence which coaches have access on school grounds and at what time. Youre right its not as much as some think, but never underestimate aggy hive mind.
  • Like 1

Roach

Spoiler

— It's early, but there is no obvious candidate to be the top 2023 quarterback at the moment. For my money, the guy I like best is Justin Northwest quarterback Jake Strong. I've seen Strong throw in a lot of different situations and he's always consistently good. Strong is about as cool as they come as a passer and shows excellent ball placement and accuracy. Texas is working on national targets like Arch Manning and Malachi Nelson in '23, but Strong is the in-state passer I would advocate for if asked.

2 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I swear if I see the phrase " catch radius " one more time I'm going to kick Henry James's puppy. At this point, it shows a distinct lack of creativity. Plus, the phrase should actually be "catch diameter." 

Take it up with the trilateral commission if you don’t like it. 

8 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

I swear if I see the phrase " catch radius " one more time I'm going to kick Henry James's puppy. At this point, it shows a distinct lack of creativity. Plus, the phrase should actually be "catch diameter." 

I blame ESPN and their sports science stuff. They've said a few times now every talking head with a platform uses it as a decription. 

11 hours ago, Hornius Emeritus said:

What? How did you get into UT?

radius is the distance from the center of a circle (in this case the player) and the edge (theoretically the furthest distance they could make a catch from where they’re located). Diameter would be distance across the circle which makes no sense given you can’t be in two places at once

• Hook 'Em 1

IT

Spoiler

CB Jamel Johnson, Arlington Seguin (2023):

D/FW sophomore corner Jamel Johnson did not have to travel far to compete in Sunday’s Under Armour All-America camp. An Arlington native himself, Johnson competed with several of the region’s best minutes from his own home.

He was sticky in coverage, but the soft-spoken rising junior expected a little bit more out of his performance.

“I did pretty good,” Johnson said. “I could have done way better, but it was solid.”

Johnson is a man of few words, even when it comes to discussing recruiting. When asked who communicates with him most, Johnson said only a few schools are able to. After all, he has to reach out to schools in order to talk to them. Because of his youth, schools can’t initiate the phone call. He has to do so.

“I’ve been calling a lot of schools just to build relationship," said Johnson. "The school that really wanted me to call them the most is Baylor.”

Dave Aranda and company are telling Johnson he can play as a true freshman. But what about Texas?

Tight ends coach Jeff Banks was the one who issued an offer to Johnson. He has not been able to speak with Terry Joseph or Blake Gideon quite yet, but he has a positive impression of Texas.

“They’re competitive,” he said. “They’re going to compete. Their coaching style is good. They lift weights and their offseason is A-1.”

Johnson explained he’d like to hear a bit more from Oklahoma, Alabama, and Florida State, but sounded very content taking his time with the process. - JC

CB Javien Toviano, Arlington Martin (2023):

First, it was Morice. Then, it was Trevell. Next, it's Javien.

That's the ideal setup for UT with the 2023 defensive back/athlete that competes on both sides of the ball for Martin. At 6-foot-0, 185 pounds, watching him up close on Sunday was enlightening. Toviano is very physical, has quick feet/hips, and strong hands. Not to mention his closing speed, he can get it.

With double-digit offers, including UT, Oregon, Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Notre Dame, his stock is rising like GameStop and his game is investment worthy.

"Texas, Oregon, Baylor, and Oklahoma State," said Toviano about the schools that recruit him the hardest. "I talk to coach (Rod) Chance at Oregon, coach (Tim) Duffie at Oklahoma State, and coach (Jeff) Banks and coach Sark at Texas."

It's still early in the process, but the four-star had a good idea of what he expects at his future college program. With teammates Morice Blackwell and Trevell Johnson, one signed and one committed to the Horns, that family atmosphere might hit the hardest.

"Ultimately, somewhere that feels like home," Toviano said. "Of course the academic aspect. Just want to go where I can a get degree for the long term goals. Mostly, somewhere I can play."

How much do Morice and Trevell tease Toviano about his college choice?

"Every single day," Toviano laughs. "Every time at mid-day workouts, they start at me. They say 'go ahead and commit.' They know I want to take my time with it, but definitely it's all in fun."

After a breakthrough 2020 where he was named District 8-6A Defensive Newcomer of the Year and tallied 41 tackles, 11 pass break-ups, two interceptions, two forced fumbles, and one fumble return, his goal is improving himself for his upcoming junior campaign.

"Just everything," said Toviano. "Be a better all-around athlete this year, not just playing defense, a bit offense and special teams as well. Just bringing my all." - JW

CB Jayvon Thomas, South Oak Cliff (2023):

The more offers that come, the more Thomas is focused on keeping a level head and strong work ethic.

The 5-foot-11, 170-pound athlete from Corsicana recently transferred to SOC. His father, a former Notre Dame linebacker, works for the school. As the verbal invitations add up, so does Thomas' focus.

"I feel like I'm handling the recruiting process pretty good," said Thomas. "Not getting a big head about it, just going with the flow and keep doing what I do and take care of my business."

With offers from Texas, Oregon, OU, USC, and Notre Dame, the future four-star is keeping it all in perspective. Another thing he wants to do is get better technique-wise to be able to play on the island.

"I got a lot more confidence after today," Thomas said following his UA camp. "I learned some new techniques during the 1-on-1s, and hope to get even smarter."

Texas' message to the 2023 prospect was clear.

"Keep that level head, don't get too big," said Thomas about speaking with the Horns. "They love me at corner, and to keep doing my thing."

As with most 2023s, he's still digesting the process as the spring arrives. But UT is building a foundation with all three - Johnson, Toviano, Thomas - that'll be ready to bloom over the next 18-24 months. - JW

2 hours ago, Burt Macklin said:

It’s been pretty well established that IT thinks we have a good chance at Manning, depending on how a few things play out, including the Ewers recruitment. 

Yeah just seems like his RT (and this alleged 247 tweet) imply they heard something new / something happened behind the scenes.

Bottom line, I'm trying to convince myself we got a silent from him lol

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah just seems like his RT (and this alleged 247 tweet) imply they heard something new / something happened behind the scenes.

Word was the Manning family weren't even letting Arch accept offers before his sophomore season. Highly doubt he commits (publicly or privately) this early.

7 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

I wouldn’t expect that. Wells will retweet stuff about recruits were in a good spot for but that’s about it. 

3 minutes ago, Dijon Robinson said:

Word was the Manning family weren't even letting Arch accept offers before his sophomore season. Highly doubt he commits (publicly or privately) this early.

Yeah I know I'm stretching. Now I'm curious though how do you not accept offers? I'm imagining Arch pulling this on Coach O..

Dumb and Dumber LA LA LA Blank Template - Imgflip

3 minutes ago, Tex-19 said:

Yeah I know I'm stretching. Now I'm curious though how do you not accept offers? I'm imagining Arch pulling this on Coach O..

Dumb and Dumber LA LA LA Blank Template - Imgflip

With Coach O you politely nod along and smile pretending to have understood what he just said to you. No earmuffs required.

Testing numbers from the UA camp, from Gerry:

2023 CB/N Jayvon Thomas, South Oak Cliff
Smoked the L-cone with a laser 6.6

2023 LB Anthony Hill with a 6.96 laser L-cone at more than 220-pounds.

2023 DE Ashton Porter, Cypress Ranch
This kid may have had the most twitch in an absolute loaded group of DL’s. 6-2 1/2, 230, 78-inch wingspan and blazing 7.1 laser L-cone at his size and age.

2023 DE David Hicks, Morton Ranch
DT frame long term, with natural power on contact. 6-4, 252 with 80 wingspan.

2023 WR Ashton Cozart, Richland
6-2 1/2, 173, 4.58 laser forty, 77 wingspan

2023 DB Brenen Jordan, Mansfield
Was very impressive at a Saturday workout I attended prior to UA Camp Sunday. 5-11 1/2, 183, 4.25 laser shuttle, 6.79 laser L-cone

2 hours ago, closetohumping said:
5 hours ago, Tex-19 said:

Revisiting his Arch RT, is Wells a tease/troll often or do we think there is some real smoke there?

I don't believe Wells works like that, now Nahlin and Gerry?  Maybe.

Srsly?  Wells is a huge tease.  It's basically his whole schtick.  Now, Wells isn't a troll, but Nahlin/Gerry aren't trolls, either.  They may be snide or sarcastic, but they're pretty clear when they express their displeasure/disagreement.