Let me be positive for a minute...

TexArcher

4 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

To win the conference I think we need a qb who can be decently accurate down field, we don’t have that...   

With RB issues, we had a QB who led us to scores on every single drive of the 2nd half against what many consider the best defensive backfield in the country and you don't think he has it???  You should stop now as you will never find it.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, runthebone said:

No one generates a rush with 3 defensive linemen aligned inside the tackles

Obviously, but even those three plus Ossai wouldn’t generate enough of a rush. Orlando would rush only 4 more often if it worked, like he did at UH. He and Aranda run almost identical defenses and Aranda brought 4 most plays because he could get better pressure with his superior personnel. I don’t think Orlando’s ideal scheme is what he did yesterday, but he’s limited in what he can do by our personnel deficiencies.

Like i said, Orlando definitely has some scheme/playcalling issues, but when your team doesn’t have personnel to get consistent rush with 4 and you don’t have corners that can hold up in man, then it’s tough to find a whole lot of great options. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Let's do this an easier way.

Name two teams that aren't great:

Texas and LSU

That's the fucking point.

Under that logic, the only great team is Clemson. Maybe Bama and tOSU fit that definition later in the season, but you’re using a pretty limited definition of great at that point. 

Just now, BurntEyes said:

You know there are two halves right?

So you're also of the position that we don't have the offense to win the conference?

Over 500 yards of total offense and what should have been 45 points against LSU.

I knew I'd see some overreactions after last night. Can't say I thought I'd wake up to see blame being placed on Ehlinger and the offense.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

You're missing the point. Teams don't have to be great to beat us.

See my note above about LSU and check the scoreboard.

I am missing the point because you cannot even tell me which teams are great. I predicted we would go 10-2 this year. Do you think there is a decent chance that can still happen or have we shown ourselves to be a failure after game 2?

That LSU offensive line is not good, at all.

If what you're trying isn't working, try something different.

He didn't.

That's shit coaching.

He dropped 8, he brought the house, he did a lot in between. He was mixing stuff up. I’d like to see him call some simpler schemes, especially when we started getting gashed and they run tempo, but there was no perfect answer last night.

Fundamentally, if your CBs can’t play man and you can’t get a rush with 4 or less, then every DC in the country would struggle with that combo. Orlando could’ve improved some things, but acting like it’s all on him and that we don’t have some severe personnel issues that any DC in the country   Would struggle with is just not accurate.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

To win the conference I think we need a qb who can be decently accurate down field, we don’t have that...   

The team came out in the second half, down two possessions and nearly owned the third quarter.  They occupied nearly 34 minutes in possession and put 38 points up on LSU.  38 points should be enough to win any game in the conference.

The offense is fine, the talent is there, they're conditioned, battle-tested, physical and mentally tough.

Coaching and scheme on defense is the problem and has been through Herman's tenure.  It works against less-complex offenses like UGA, who need to establish the run first.  It's demoralizing against talent that can sling the ball around and put a CB on an island.  Offenses have moved on and recognize this, while our defense looks lost and have been coached to offer cushion to receivers.  

5 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Keep on going moral victory about a poorly coached and played game against a mediocre opponent.

It's very aggy of you. 

Enjoy your rollercoaster, I'm getting the fuck off this ride.

Now you’re just making shit up. I’ve never said anything about a moral victory.

We lost a close game to one of the top 5 or 6 teams in the country. We had our chances to win and couldn’t execute at a high enough level. It’s disappointing but it happens. 

You can change the definition of “great” all you want to fit your contrived narrative,  but there aren’t 6 teams in the country better than LSU.

Edited by Burt Macklin

Neither of us have any clue how this team will perform from game to game.

I have been a football fan for over 30 years and if I knew this about any of the teams I have was a fan of I would be rich right now, because I would have bet lots of money on them.

Neither of us have any clue how this team will perform from game to game. That's a big problem. It has been the case for Herman's entire tenure at Texas.

You and others are excuse making for a terrible performance against mediocre team.

This conversation is as productive as any you would find in cloak room.

The season will met out the reality. This round and round bullshit with people who won't acknowledge the reality is a waste or fucking time.

I'm not making any excuses. That's a lie. I simply said that I wasn't expecting to wake up to read that our offense isn't good enough to win the conference. It's your opinion the offense was terrible? And I'm making excuses for a terrible offense? 

You're fucking hysterical and, frankly, acting like a little bitch. You're "off the ride?" Ok, bye I guess. We're you expecting an undefeated season? Most had pegged this as a 2-3 loss season. If you think that last night portends a 4-5 loss season, well that's your opinion. You may be right. If you're off the ride and think that discussing the team is a waste of time, feel free to log off. No one's forcing you to discuss this team.

Imo our defense will get better with age. I could be wrong but Orlando sometimes starts out slow when trying to figure out the team personnel. We lost by 7 to a offense that has legit receivers and QB that couldn’t make a mistake all night. Hell, if Tom didn’t mess up the last 2min in the first half, we were going into halftime down by 6. 

So like Burt said it was a mix of issues but I really do believe that if we executed the first half better offensively, Orlando has a better time calling the rest of the game. 

30 minutes ago, Hook1997 said:

Yes, let's criticize Sam for missing some throws against the best secondary in the country.  I mean, he only threw for 401 yards against them.

And he completed 65% of his passes last year.

Y'all act as if anything short of Colt McCoy's accuracy means a guy sucks.

I'm bummed we lost, but even less so this morning. Honestly, I feel really bad for the players because they put it all out there with class. Our secondary is young and definitely needs to improve, but this game will help going into Big12 play. 

I still like the trajectory of this team, the offense continues to improve, defense is growing, recruiting is good and I'm still behind the coaches. Yesterday was incredible for the Longhorn brand and fans, it was about as good of a day you could have considering we lost. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Lulz, no I have no lack of confidence that we aren't winning National Championship under Tom Herman. Ever

LSU will drop 3 games.

Want to bet on that?

Which part?

18 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

No what I am saying is they don't lose to Maryland twice or an overrated LSU at home.

Ok you have a very specific criteria. So unless you very specifically lose to Maryland and LSU you are a successful coach?

39 minutes ago, Burt Macklin said:

Obviously, but even those three plus Ossai wouldn’t generate enough of a rush. Orlando would rush only 4 more often if it worked, like he did at UH. He and Aranda run almost identical defenses and Aranda brought 4 most plays because he could get better pressure with his superior personnel. I don’t think Orlando’s ideal scheme is what he did yesterday, but he’s limited in what he can do by our personnel deficiencies.

Like i said, Orlando definitely has some scheme/playcalling issues, but when your team doesn’t have personnel to get consistent rush with 4 and you don’t have corners that can hold up in man, then it’s tough to find a whole lot of great options. 

Well, part of the problem is he often rushes only 3.  There are so few elite pass rushing tackles

1 minute ago, David Dennison said:

LSU might win the SEC.

have to beat Bama @ their house , after losing 29-0 last year at lsu. It'll be closer but i doubt it.   LSU also has Aggy at home.  LSU will beat Auburn. So 11-1 is very possible for them. Bama will beat GA again in the SECCCG. 

the 2 national semis are Peach (Atlanta) and Fiesta (Phoenix) with the title game in NOLA. Now where will UT end up if not the CFP ? Rose, Cotton or Sugar again? If they win the Big12 and not in the CFP, they have to go to Sugar vs. GA right?

18 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

I'm willing to wager, whatever amount you like on 2.5 o/u losses for LSU's regular season.

We will use a 3rd party betting company.

3 regular season losses = not great team

Either place a bet with me, or STFU.

Well they only have Ole Miss, Mississppi State, Vanderbilt and Bama on the road. Their two remaining OOC games are Utah State and Northwestern State....

Nah I don't think so. I am not all that familiar with the other teams on their schedule and it is not like I closely follow LSU. Also, looking at their history they usually lose three games.

But if you want me to STFU you can post someplace else, I talk UT Sports here. I just didn't get WTF you were saying. 

I will say this: if the season ends and Texas is not playing in that Big 12 title game then yeah I agree they failed this year. I am pretty confident we are playing in that game though. We'll see.

Edited by Valmy77
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, tbone_ said:

Fair point.

I think the main thing he is saying is we are not going to get any better under Tom, that this is basically what we can always expect. Winning 8 or 9 games and not winning any titles. Our Sumlin, basically.

Edited by Valmy77

Just now, Valmy77 said:

I think the main thing he is saying is we are not going to get any better under Tom, that this is basically what we can always expect. Winning 8 or 9 games and not winning any titles.

Yet we hit 10 wins and played for the conference title in year two of TH’s tenure. He seems delusional.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Valmy77 said:

I think the main thing he is saying is we are not going to get any better under Tom, that this is basically what we can always expect. Winning 8 or 9 games and not winning any titles. Our Sumlin, basically.

And that's an asinine take.

We got a ton better from year 1 to year 2.

If year 3 looks a lot like year 2, while we're breaking in an almost entirely new set of personnel on defense, is that a good reason to assume that we'll never improve again under Herman?

Of course not.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Burt Macklin said:

Under that logic, the only great team is Clemson. Maybe Bama and tOSU fit that definition later in the season, but you’re using a pretty limited definition of great at that point. 

At this point in the season no one has proven their “greatness “, it’s a season attribute, anything else is stuff and nonsense.

58 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

Lulz, no I have no lack of confidence that we aren't winning National Championship under Tom Herman. Ever

LSU will drop 3 games.

Want to bet on that?

I’ll take the bet. Show me 3 losses for them. Bama - sure. After that is it Florida (no), aggy (lol), Auburn (maybe)? So basically it all has to break against LSU for them to hit 3.

Burrow is a great qb for their new offense and there defense will continue to full of elite speed and hard hitters. 

$100.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

1) Every year Tom Herman has been a head coach he has lost a game he shouldn't

2) LSU is a team we should not have lost to this year. They are not a great team.

3) We lost due to poor coaching choices. See #1

4) Sam, despite being a very lovable guy doesn't have a good long ball. If he did we could have thrown over the top, often. On the goal line stand where we ran it 4 times we had single coverage on the outside on Johnson. Throw the fucking fade. Sam has a very low number of long passes completed. Most of the long passes are YAC. See Duverney for evidence in the 2 games.

5) Given these I have no reason to believe we have a good coaching staff.

All these points are wrong.  

7 minutes ago, BurntEyes said:

1) Every year Tom Herman has been a head coach he has lost a game he shouldn't

2) LSU is a team we should not have lost to this year. They are not a great team.

3) We lost due to poor coaching choices. See #1

4) Sam, despite being a very lovable guy doesn't have a good long ball. If he did we could have thrown over the top, often. On the goal line stand where we ran it 4 times we had single coverage on the outside on Johnson. Throw the fucking fade. Sam has a very low number of long passes completed. Most of the long passes are YAC. See Duverney for evidence in the 2 games.

5) Given these I have no reason to believe we have a good coaching staff.

1.  Opinion

2.  Opinion 

3. Opinion 

4. Arm chair OC opinion 

5.  Opinion 

No facts needed.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

There's some pretty shitty ass fucking takes in here wow.   Our QB tossed 401 yards passing and 88 yards rushing.  117 teams in teh country would jerk off on south austins mom for that production.  Our featured running back is a 3rd string QB who was in high school civics class this time last year and we replaced our entire defense with kids who had never played prior and we are a dropped wide open td pass that any douchebag here could have caught away from beating the top 2nd or 3rd shittyEC team and some of you fucks are blaming sam or saying we wont win shit under herman.   dude is polishing a turd and put lipstick on this pig,  LSU didnt win that game  we fucking lost it on ourselves.   12-1 11-2 at best this year.  fuck your own faces

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Let's say we had scored those first 2 touchdowns like we should have and won 52-45, I can promise no one on Surly would be talking doom and gloom or saying OMG our defense is horrid. College football is Points and yards and the only defense you really need is when you need it the most(see ou) and last night we didn't step up when we needed to the most. If we go 9-3 or 8-4 I will panic that Tom can't get it done but losing to LSU who could possibly win the SEC this year I am not gonna panic.

We are young in the secondary blah blah blah, just get better and step up.

Serious Question, Why does it feel like Orlando defenses always take 2-3 games before they get good? didn't our Defense have super slow starts the last 2 years under Orlando but ended the year looking pretty badass?