9.9.19 Coach Herman press conference Noon

bigup2dahorns

4 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Yep.

Ehlinger got a bit of Chase Shugart in him.  Misses wide open guy one second and the next throws a laser through the eye of a needle for a TD.

He's gotta get better at hitting guys in the right spot and in stride.

Just now, WhatTheBuck said:

If you'd had more success in the last decade or so before he got there, this loss wouldn't hurt so much. Is that what he's saying?

Roughly. And he isn't wrong. A lot of people here are worried every time we lose everything is going to fall down like a house of cards and the team will quit. That hasn't happened under Herman at all. We looked damn good, albeit sloppy at times against a team that is playoff worthy. Make that early catch on 4th down and the game is tied. Plenty of other examples of easy plays that became execution errors that were unforced that can and will be tuned up. We are young but talented and by the end of the year I think we'll win the Big XII with a 10-2 record.

• Like 6

1 minute ago, TheFlyingBoat said:

Roughly. And he isn't wrong. A lot of people here are worried every time we lose everything is going to fall down like a house of cards and the team will quit. That hasn't happened under Herman at all. We looked damn good, albeit sloppy at times against a team that is playoff worthy. Make that early catch on 4th down and the game is tied. Plenty of other examples of easy plays that became execution errors that were unforced that can and will be tuned up. We are young but talented and by the end of the year I think we'll win the Big XII with a 10-2 record.

Well said, and I agree. We have a solid program now.

27 minutes ago, Machinator said:

Absolutely this. We only dropped 4 places in the rankings and playing them this early will make us a better team. The playoff committee says they want teams to schedule these types of games.  Plus these are games recruits say they want to play in. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

If you'd had more success in the last decade or so before he got there, this loss wouldn't hurt so much. Is that what he's saying?

Coach was pissy and our media gave him a break today.

If okie lite puts it on our defense, our media should double click on TO. This is not Utah State or cougar high, success raises the bar.

Edited by Goodman

8 minutes ago, WhatTheBuck said:

He's saying that repeatedly getting sold a bill of goods and then having our nuts kicked in from 2010-2017 has made us extremely (over)reactionary and quick to judge and blame.

Which is totally ridiculous, obviously.   I mean, look at this place, for example.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Did anyone ask him why Sam, at 230+ was in shotgun from the 1/2 yard line?  

We don't really line up under center ever, and frankly I don't think traditional QB sneaks play to Sam's strengths. He has good vision as a runner and is load to bring down when he has momentum.  

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That question from Curt trying to bait Tom into talking about LSU's "fake" injuries was some of his worst work yet.

Curt should write his story and call the sec/espn and lsu out but he is looking for Coach to give him ammo. What a puss. Write your story and call it how you see it, never stopped him from pissing on us in the past.

37 minutes ago, bigup2dahorns said:

Kurt asks about the LSU fake injuries. Herman has to correct his assertion in the question, of course.

35 minutes ago, mdmost said:

Kurt always trying to get that fiery quote to make a name for himself. Oh yes, Herman is going to call out LSU for faking injuries on a day when the heat index on the field was 110+

20 minutes ago, Machinator said:

That question from Curt trying to bait Tom into talking about LSU's "fake" injuries was some of his worst work yet.

16 minutes ago, Liquor and Poker said:

I just don't get that guy.  Does he think being a elementary-school-level hater is "edgy" or does he really just still miss Mack Brown this much?

This is where MensaTom needs to channel some Saban. Bowels asks that shithead question, look him in the eye and say something like "Well, Kurt, it's within the rules, so there's not much else you can say about it... so I have no idea why you'd ask a dumbass question like that."

4 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

We don't really line up under center ever, and frankly I don't think traditional QB sneaks play to Sam's strengths. He has good vision as a runner and is load to bring down when he has momentum.  

The dude squats 550...you don't think leg drive is a strength?  Especially when you consider we'd have a couple of backs pushing him from behind.  

If we don't think we can run a QB sneak from the 1/2 yard line on 3rd down, then we need some new coaches. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, DixonHur said:

Did anyone ask him why Sam, at 230+ was in shotgun from the 1/2 yard line?  

Is this really a question that still needs to be asked?

An integral part of Herman's philosophy is using the QB run from the shotgun in order to create a numbers advantage in the box. Sam converted on 76% of 3rd/4th and <5 runs last year.

He's not going to change one of the things that we do best just because... I can't even think of a reason to consider the change. Maybe to avoid snarky questions if it doesn't work? 

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Dahobbs said:

Yebbut... a little misdirection wouldn't hurt - or at least a change in what the oppo expects. With Sam's size and leg strength, I wouldn't have any problem at all putting him under center and  calling "10 Wedge" - or whatever the QB sneak is preferedly nomenclatured this century. Besides, with the new rules that allow pushing, wrap the tackles around behind him, add the big backs to the pile and shove it right on through. 

1 minute ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

Is this really a question that still needs to be asked?

Yes, yes it does.

2 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

An integral part of Herman's philosophy is using the QB run from the shotgun in order to create a numbers advantage in the box.

That shit don't work from the 1/2 yard line.  The idea of shotgun is that the DB's and LB's have to respect the pass.  That respect decreased exponentially the closer you are the the goal line because the amount of field you have to work in gets smaller.  

As for philosophy, who cares what is main philosophy is?  Being inflexible isn't a winning strategy. 

5 minutes ago, Bodacious Bevo said:

He's not going to change one of the things that we do best just because... I can't even think of a reason to consider the change.

Apparently someone has never heard of the phrase "situational football"

12 minutes ago, Tex Long said:

This is where MensaTom needs to channel some Saban. Bowels asks that shithead question, look him in the eye and say something like "Well, Kurt, it's within the rules, so there's not much else you can say about it... so I have no idea why you'd ask a dumbass question like that."

Would love to see this. He should also end every answer from a Bohl's question with "aren't you the hometown guy that got to watch every one of Vince Young's games in 2005 and then didn't vote for him for the Heisman?" 

• Like 4

Apparently someone has never heard of the phrase "situational football"

while I almost agree...

You have to feel confident your OL (C/G) can push their DL (NG/DT)... it's probably better to give Sam the option to find a spot that looks like we're winning (or tying) and let him operate.

It usually works. this time it didn't.

You're not wrong... but if the team almost never operates from under center, that's more uncertainty, etc.

situational texas football says qb power right there...