Texas opens as a 7 point favorite v Oklahoma State

TexasMan

You want to dig up old demons? I think the English word you're looking for is "exorcise"

Having said that, mullet man doesn't really scare me this year, the '19 horns seem like a team on a mission. Remains to be seen what sort of mission, but missionary nonetheless..

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Domedriver said:

I was just pulling a number out of my ass.  I just know when we play the okiepokes it is always Cray.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

There’s no way the o/u is 42. That’ll be the winnings teams points.

Jesus read the thread.  It’s like I’m on next door....dome driver has already stated he pulled the number out his ass

Edited by Teddyballgame

IT

On the injury front, we expect the offensive guys back. Collin Johnson will play and Zach Shackelford will at least try. Shack will likely be considered questionable but we think he'll push through and then take advantage of the bye week.

On defense, we're not expecting either BJ Foster or DeMarvion Overshown back, with Overshown likely out for an extended period of time.

The person many are most curious about, Joseph Ossai, is still an unknown to us. He should find out today if he'll need shoulder surgery and if so he'll obviously miss some time. I'm sure Herman will mention him in the press conference. Having Foster, Overshown, and Ossai out versus Oklahoma State would not be ideal. That significantly hurts both nickel and dime personnel. I wouldn't be surprised if we saw a 4-2-5.

The biggest revelation of the Rice game, if there was one (one source put the game as "a waste of time"), was the emergence of linebacker Juwan Mitchell. We've been posting positives about him since his arrival. He's always sounded to be ahead of schedule, especially considering he's transitioning from Juco to the big time. Rice isn't the big time, but Mitchell is a thumper with a nose for the ball who can run. If he assumed first team Mac in the coming weeks it wouldn't surprise anyone.

Another positive was Keaontay Ingram. We see it asked in the game threads if he's healthy. I'm not sure how it's unknown that he's been battling injuries. We write it often. He was at about 75% for a couple of weeks but is getting better and is closer to 100%. Hopefully he can stay healthy for a prolonged period of time so he can definitively show the world what everybody behind the scenes knows: he's a baller.

After the dropped touchdown versus LSU, the team made a point to love on him. This is a close-knit group with sound leadership. While that helps, first and foremost is for him to be healthy. His game is reliant on lateral agility and if that's hampered he's only average.

Of course helping Ingram carry the load, and maybe even provide Ingram extra motivation, is Roschon Johnson. In the summer I received a message regarding Roschon and it essentially said, "not sure if Roschon is a quarterback, but he's something." I knew he was struggling with mechanics and just figured it would get ironed out with more time but the team needed him at running back. We're all amazed by his willingness to initiate contact. We also like that initial burst. What makes him special, though, is his mental maturity and preparation. He has fully immersed himself in the position and is always asking his reads and assignments. The old cliche of "give me 11 guys like him" certainly applies to his mental approach.

One player who didn't play that we thought we'd see is Kenyatta Watson. With corners struggling we thought for sure he'd get some snaps. It sounds like they're going to red-shirt him after all, though he'll still play in the four allotted games. Perhaps they think he'll add more value playing down the stretch.

Up next is Oklahoma State. Their defensive backs gave UT's wide receivers trouble last year and everyone is looking for a do-over. To say the offense is confident is an understatement. Ehlinger has full control and has a good offensive line in front of him. He was already on the same page with Collin Johnson and Devin Duvernay, but you can add Jake Smith to that now too.

On the other side of the ball, the defensive backs know they have to do a much better job on Tylan Wallace. I'll be interested to hear what the staff cooks up, especially given the injury situation.

We've caught wind of a likely transfer. We'll go into more detail at the right time if the name hits the portal.

Herman mentioned good OL play for Okie Lite this year.  Their new OL coach is a stud.

For 2019, Okie Lite hired the Purple Wizard's OL coach Charlie Dickey -- a guy that Gundy previously tried to hire away from K-State before but Dickey was too loyal to Coach Snyder.

Aggy hired away Okie Lite's previous OL coach Henson.  The funny part of all of this is that Okie Lite now has a better OL coach than Aggy.  And Aggy fans are now complaining about how terrible a recruiter Henson is...

HaHaHaHaHaHaHaHa HaHaHaHa HaHaHaHa

http://themercury.com/k_state_sports/charlie-dickey-no-longer-part-of-k-state-staff/article_7f423d36-0bca-11e9-9242-8793270ca169.html

https://www.theeagle.com/aggie_sports/texas-a-m-hires-new-offensive-coach-josh-henson-from/article_80ae4482-2c2a-11e9-bd38-bbce9bb3bb56.html

Edited by LTtxfan
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, LTtxfan said:

Herman mentioned good OL play for Okie Lite this year.

For 2019, Okie Lite hired the Purple Wizard's OL coach Charlie Dickey -- a guy that Gundy previously tried to hire away from K-State before but Dickey was too loyal to Coach Snyder.

Aggy hired away Okie Lite's previous OL coach Henson.  The funny part of all of this is that Okie Lite now has a better OL coach than Aggy.  And Aggy fans are now complaining about how terrible a recruiter Henson is...

http://themercury.com/k_state_sports/charlie-dickey-no-longer-part-of-k-state-staff/article_7f423d36-0bca-11e9-9242-8793270ca169.html

joe_wickline_texas.jpg?itok=Km16zTER&w=1

24 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Herman mentioned good OL play for Okie Lite this year.  Their new OL coach is a stud.

Another article on Dickey:

"Charlie Dickey Bringing Old-School Offensive Line Play to Oklahoma State"

OSU’s new OL coach seems to be a perfect fit.

July 18, 2019  by  Marshall Scott 

ARLINGTON, Texas — The Cowboys are on their third offensive line coach since 2016, but early returns on Charlie Dickey are quite positive.  Dickey comes to Stillwater from Kansas State, where he started in 2009. Those K-State teams didn’t always conform to the typical Big 12 offensive style of spreading the field and working quickly. Those Wildcats’ squads often relied more on physicality than pure speed.

“I tried to hire Charlie a few times before, got close,” Gundy said Monday. “He had great loyalty to Coach (Bill) Snyder at Kansas State for all the right reasons. The timing worked out perfect for us and for Charlie.  “I’ve said this, when (Josh Henson) left I picked the phone up and about five minutes later and asked Charlie, and he said he would take the job. We didn’t have any other discussions, and he showed up. It’s been great for Coach and great for Oklahoma State.”

Dickey’s old-school style fits in well with his redshirt senior center Johnny Wilson, who according to Gundy, Wilson “likes to play football, and he likes heavy-metal music.” Wilson has played in 28 games thus far in his OSU career. He is on his third O-line coach, but Dickey might be Wilson’s best fit.  “I love the old-school play,” Wilson said. “That’s how I was raised. My dad was West Texas football back in the day. That’s old-school football, man. That’s how I was raised, and that’s how Coach Dickey wants it done. And that’s how I’ll do it. It’s awesome.”

After the open spring practice, Wilson said he wanted to get nastier with his inside zone blocking over the summer. Through player-led workouts, he said he’s getting there, even if it is going against his defensive linemen teammates.  “It worked,” Wilson said. “Me and (Brendon) Evers get into it every once in a while in the player-led practices. I think that I’ve accomplished almost what I want. I’m almost there.”

https://pistolsfiringblog.com/charlie-dickey-bringing-old-school-offensive-line-play-to-oklahoma-state/

Edited by LTtxfan

http://pistolsfiringblog.com/oklahoma-state-a-6-5-point-underdog-vs-texas-in-big-12-opener/

Oklahoma State a 6.5-Point Underdog vs. Texas in Big 12 Opener

OSU is an underdog for the first time this season.

September 16.   By Kyle Boone 

Oklahoma State will open conference play on Saturday as nearly touchdown underdogs against No. 12 Texas.  After opening the season with consecutive double digit win, openings odds from VegasInsider.com have the Cowboys (3-0) as 6.5 point road underdogs against the Longhorns (2-1). Texas’ lone loss came in a 45-38 loss to then-No. 6 LSU.

Here’s a good note from DougD in The Chamber: 

"I find it interesting that the oddsmakers have apparently been more impressed (compared to expectations) by OSU’s season than by Texas’s. The summer time line on OSU-Texas was 9.5. It opened at 6.5 last night.  According to SP+, OSU has beaten the 94th and 96th-best teams in the country, along with McNeese. Texas has beaten teams 91 and 128. Pretty much a wash, except Texas’s victories were more convincing."

OSU has been solid against the spread this season, covering in all three games according to TeamRankings.com. This will be the first time OSU is an underdog this season. Texas, meanwhile, has covered as a favorite in the two games it was favored vs. Louisiana Tech and vs. Rice this weekend.

OSU is 14-16 in the Mike Gundy era in covering the spread as an away underdog.  OSU-Texas kicks off at 6:30 p.m. on Saturday night and will be carried on ABC.

• Like 1

Edited by LTtxfan

22 hours ago, Tom Chairman said:

My head is telling me this line is accurate and is what I was expecting tbh. Gundy is the master of death by a thousand paper cuts.

On the other hand, fuck the CFB world at large for the constant disrespect. We are the motherfucking #12 team in the nation playing at home in front of 100k on prime time at night against an unranked Okie lite and we're only a touchdown favorite? Are you fucking kidding me?? Fuck this noise. Herman will use this to motivate the troops to fucking blast these annoying cunts into oblivion.

Sure, but you know the only reason we aren't ranked is because we weren't ranked in the preseason poll, which is basically just guesses once you get past the top 5-10 teams.

If you look at power rankings that actually take just games played this year into account, the line makes sense.  Sagarin has us at #14 and S&P+ has us at #20.

Just now, oSuJeff97 said:

Sure, but you know the only reason we aren't ranked is because we weren't ranked in the preseason poll, which is basically just guesses once you get past the top 5-10 teams.

If you look at power rankings that actually take just games played this year into account, the line makes sense.  Sagarin has us at #14 and S&P+ has us at #20.

Looking at the teams in the top 10, I'd say plenty of guessing also goes into picking those teams.

Thanks, Jeffrey.

20 minutes ago, The Hot Dog Buffet said:

Looking at the teams in the top 10, I'd say plenty of guessing also goes into picking those teams.

Oh for sure.

But generally (not always of course) the teams that are preseason top 5-10 are deserving of being ranked.  Once you get to about 15 and below, it's almost a complete crap shoot just based on what teams did last year, how strong of a "brand" they have, etc.

7 minutes ago, USNALonghorn said:

A better question: how would OSU fare against LSU?

Who cares, the question that needs to be answered this week is whether Texas defense can stop a competent offense. If they can then we can have a very good year. The offense has shown that it can move the ball on anyone.

1 hour ago, 'stache said:

Lazy bettors probably looked up last year's game. We played flawlessly that game, very bizarre. Doubtful we can pull it off again on the road with a freshman qb and injured d.

If you are betting on Texas then just come out and say it. You are among friends. 

source.gif

21 hours ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Also, in case you haven't noticed, neither team is in the SEC!  This would be a Top 25 matchup if that were the case - call it #7 Texas versus #18 Okie State.  

• Like 1