Texas opens as a 7 point favorite v Oklahoma State

TexasMan

40 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Update - Evers and Asi are good to go; also Antwine's paperwork finally cleared and will paly.

Harper still "probable" but not for sure; I imagine even if he does play it will be limited until he gets back into game shape.

Bundage out.

- Lee Fedora is a one-time successful Mike Gundy offensive coordinator. Is there any value to Herman there? "I'm sure they've had some talks on over-arching management type things but it was a long time ago.

Just saw this... I had no idea Fedora was at Texas now! I always liked him.

That said - yeah I don't know any intel that Fedora could provide. As noted, it was quite a while ago, and our offense is totally different now. Fedora brought the zone-read/pistol spread that we were running back then with Zac Robinson, Kendall Hunter, etc. 

We scrapped that in 2010 when Holgorsen came on board and we switched to his Air Raid variant, which we've been running (with lots of tweaks) since.

Hmm, imagine that

20 hours ago, texifornia said:

Where'd that come from?

20 hours ago, Reynolds Woodcock said:

While I was on the treadmill today, I unfortunately was forced to watch the last 5 minutes of last year's OSU game on ESPNU. He was definitely embarrassing and hard to root for at times.

I was subjected to the same replay as Woodcock. Massive addition by subtraction.

3 minutes ago, BERT said:

Hmm, imagine that

You think they *wanted* his first game to be against Texas?

Our DL was already ridiculously thin. I can assure you that everyone involved would have preferred he play in all of our games so far.

Like it matters anyway.  Our defense is shit.  One spare DL won't make a goddamn bit of difference.  Y'all are stil gonna score 40+

54 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

- Lee Fedora is a one-time successful Mike Gundy offensive coordinator. Is there any value to Herman there? "I'm sure they've had some talks on over-arching management type things but it was a long time ago.

Just saw this... I had no idea Fedora was at Texas now! I always liked him.

That said - yeah I don't know any intel that Fedora could provide. As noted, it was quite a while ago, and our offense is totally different now. Fedora brought the zone-read/pistol spread that we were running back then

Larry Fedora is at Texas. His brother Lee is not. You’d think the $9.95ers would know the difference, but I guess I shouldn’t be surprised. 

Edited by Tex Pete

14 hours ago, TXs said:

If there's one team I want Herman to run up the score on and not let off the gas is Gundy's mullet-headed ass.

Therm never again has to "call off the dogs" in the league or p5noncon.  The concept of "running up the score" against quality opposition is irrelevant in 2019 until:

1. There are less than 5 minutes on the clock

2. The lead is less than 5 scores (i.e. 40 points)

All-time, we've scored 50 points in 101 games.  For simplicity i'm going to choose the arrival of Royal, 1957, and also wash out the very few scrubs on our list below.

The big surprise looking at this list, is that it looks like half the games were Mack's.

Dear Mr. Parcells, i am not insinuating by posting this list that we are anything other than 2-10 at this point.

2            W          11-16-1974        81          Texas Christian 16          Fort Worth, TX          

7            W          10-01-1977        72          Rice (TX)             15          Austin, TX              

8            W          10-05-1996        71          Oklahoma St.     14          Austin, TX              

10          W          12-03-2005        70          Colorado            3            Houston, TX

12          W          09-04-1999        69          Stanford (CA)     17          Austin, TX              

13          W          11-15-1969        69          Texas Christian 7            Austin, TX              

15          W          09-17-1977        68          Virginia               0            Austin, TX              

16          W          08-31-2003        66          New Mexico St.               7               Austin, TX          

17          W          11-12-2005        66          Kansas 14          Austin, TX          

18          W          09-05-1998        66          New Mexico St.               36               Austin, TX          

19          W          09-15-2012        66          Mississippi         31          Oxford, MS              

22          W          09-04-2004        65          North Texas       0            Austin, TX              

24          W          09-26-2009        64          Texas-El Paso     7            Austin, TX              

26          W          10-14-2006        63          Baylor (TX)         31          Austin, TX              

27          W          11-24-1994        63          Baylor (TX)         35          Waco, TX              

29          W          09-27-2003        63          Tulane (LA)         18          Austin, TX              

30          W          11-05-2005        62          Baylor (TX)         0            Waco, TX              

31          W          09-25-1999        62          Baylor (TX)         0            Waco, TX              

32          W          09-26-1987        61          Oregon St.          16          Austin, TX              

33          W          10-04-1975        61          Utah St.              7            Austin, TX              

35          W          09-03-2005        60          Louisiana-Lafayette        3               Austin, TX          

36          W          11-10-2007        59          Texas Tech         43          Austin, TX              

38          W          09-05-2009        59          Louisiana-Monroe          20               Austin, TX          

39          W          11-07-2015        59          Kansas 20          Austin, TX

40          W          11-10-2001        59          Kansas 0            Austin, TX          

41          W          09-26-1998        59          Rice (TX)             21          Austin, TX              

43          W          11-13-1999        58          Texas Tech         7            Austin, TX              

44          W          11-14-1970        58          Texas Christian 0            Fort Worth, TX          

45          W          09-22-2007        58          Rice (TX)             14          Austin, TX              

47          W          11-26-1977        57          Texas A&M        28          College Station, TX         

50          W          09-19-1970        56          California            15          Austin, TX              

51          W          10-04-1969        56          Navy (MD)          17          Austin, TX              

52          W          10-20-2012        56          Baylor (TX)         50          Austin, TX              

53          W          10-13-2007        56          Iowa St.               3            Ames, IA              

55          W          09-30-2006        56          Sam Houston St. (TX)      3               Austin, TX          

56          W          11-08-1969        56          Baylor (TX)         14          Austin, TX              

57          W          08-31-2013        56          New Mexico St.               7               Austin, TX          

59          W          10-25-2003        56          Baylor (TX)         0            Waco, TX              

60          W          10-18-2008        56          Missouri             31          Austin, TX              

61          W          11-06-2004        56          Oklahoma St.     35          Austin, TX              

62          W          09-02-2006        56          North Texas       7            Austin, TX              

63          W          11-08-2003        55          Oklahoma St.     16          Stillwater, OK        

64          W          10-02-1993        55          Rice (TX)             38          Austin, TX              

65          W          10-27-1973        55          Rice (TX)             13          Austin, TX              

69          W          10-03-1998        54          Iowa St.               33          Austin, TX              

73          W          09-22-2001        53          Houston (TX)     26          Houston, TX         

74          W          11-25-1982        53          Texas A&M        16          Austin, TX              

75          W          11-26-1970        52          Texas A&M        14          Austin, TX              

76          W          12-27-2007        52          Arizona St.          34          San Diego, CA          Holiday Bowl (1)

77          W          11-05-2011        52          Texas Tech         20          Austin, TX              

79          W          11-11-1995        52          Houston (TX)     20          Houston, TX         

80          W          09-20-2008        52          Rice (TX)             10          Austin, TX              

81          W          09-09-2000        52          Louisiana-Lafayette        10               Austin, TX          

82          W          09-27-2008        52          Arkansas             10          Austin, TX              

83          W          10-22-2005        52          Texas Tech         17          Austin, TX              

84          W          10-27-1990        52          Southern Methodist (TX)             3               Austin, TX          

85          W          11-17-1973        52          Texas Christian 7            Austin, TX              

86          W          09-16-2006        52          Rice (TX)             7            Houston, TX         

87          W          08-30-2008        52          Florida Atlantic 10          Austin, TX              

88          W          09-14-2002        52          North Carolina   21          Chapel Hill, NC        

90          W          11-20-2010        51          Florida Atlantic 17          Austin, TX              

91          W          09-17-2005        51          Rice (TX)             10          Austin, TX              

92          W          11-29-1996        51          Texas A&M        15          Austin, TX              

93          W          11-21-2009        51          Kansas 20          Austin, TX          

94          W          10-23-2004        51          Texas Tech         21          Lubbock, TX         

95          W          10-01-2005        51          Missouri             20          Columbia, MO       

97          W          11-15-1980        51          Texas Christian 26          Fort Worth, TX          

98          W          11-11-2000        51          Kansas 16          Lawrence, KS    

99          W          9/4/2016            50          Notre Dame (IN) 47 Austin, TX

100        W          11-06-1982        50          Houston (TX)     0            Austin, TX              

101        W          11-29-2002        50          Texas A&M        20          Austin, TX

https://247sports.com/college/texas/Article/Texas-Longhorns-vs-Oklahoma-State-Cowboys-predictions-Sam-Ehlinger-Mike-Gundy-Tom-Herman-Tylan-Wallace-Chuba-Hubbard-135802019/

Bobby Burton, Publisher

The O-State D-line has been much maligned. But the Cowboys still have solid talent on that side of the ball, especially in the secondary. On offense, Texas will have to pick its spots and hopefully establish the run game, even if quick bubbles screens and passes to the flat are more of what we see in that regard. For the Texas defense, Mike Gundy tends to do very well in the red zone against Texas. He always seems to have a trick or two up his sleeve for big-play opportunities in plus territory. For that reason, Texas needs touchdowns not field goals. Remember that. And the Horns have to limit turnovers, too. We all remember how the last time the Cowboys visited Austin ended. Perhaps that will give Sam Ehlinger extra motivation on Saturday.

Texas 38, Oklahoma State 33

Chip Brown, Columnist

Games like this are won by the team with the best quarterback. Texas has Sam Ehlinger in his third season as a starter while Oklahoma State has the incredibly talented, dual-threat redshirt freshman Spencer Sanders, who has three college starts - period.

Tom Herman will work his dink and dunk magic with Ehlinger to keep the clock moving and keep OSU's super explosive offense, led by the nation's leading rusher Chuba Hubbard and nation's leading receiver Tylan Wallace, off the field. And, even with injuries keeping B.J. Foster and DeMarvion Overshown out, the Texas defense will force a couple turnovers that prove to be the difference.

More D'Shawn Jamison on the field, please, whether it be on defense or — for sure — on special teams in the return game.

Texas 41, Oklahoma State 31

Jeff Howe, Senior Writer

Who’s got the most trustworthy head coach?

Which team has the better quarterback?

Who’s got the home-field advantage?

In a close game, figuring out those three things usually determines the winner. Playing a game at Royal-Memorial Stadium is now a home-field advantage for the Longhorns: Tom Herman’s last four home losses (Texas is 9-5 in home games under his watch) have been dealt to his squads by an average 3.75 points per game. The home crowd has helped tip the scales in favor of the home team going back to the USC game last season.

The debate between Herman and Mike Gundy features a few different interesting layers. Herman is one of the nation’s best big-game coaches and Gundy might be the best coach in the Big 12 when it comes to putting together a game plan to keep his bunch competitive on a weekly basis.

What gives Texas the edge in this one, from an overall standpoint, is Sam Ehlinger over Spencer Sanders.

The ball is in the court of Todd Orlando to throw things at the redshirt freshman he’s yet to see and force him to make throws he might not be comfortable making on this stage at this point in his young career in hopes of getting the stop or two that could make all of the difference at the end of the night. Ehlinger is in such a zone right now (he’s got the third-longest stretch in school history with 139 consecutive pass attempts without an interception, putting him 169 attempts away from tying his own school record) and has displayed such exceptional control of the pro-spread offense that he should get the benefit of the doubt of being the better quarterback in a duel considering what he’s done in his last 16 games (67.5-percent completion rate, 249.1 passing yard per game, 34 touchdown passes, three interceptions, 573 rushing yards, 17 rushing touchdowns).

If one of the quarterbacks is going to make a mistake, it’s more likely to be the redshirt freshman in his first Big 12 road start than the veteran eyeing a conference title. With two of the three big indicators in their favor, I’ll take the Longhorns in a high-scoring affair.

Texas 45, Oklahoma State 41

Taylor Estes, Managing Editor

This game is going to come down to the team with the best quarterback, and in this situation, that’s Texas. Sam Ehlinger has the offense rolling right now, and it’s tough to imagine a scenario where that will change, especially when facing an Oklahoma State defense that has questions up front. What the Longhorns will need to do is help extend drives to keep Oklahoma State’s offense — with the nation’s leading rusher Chuba Hubbard, along with one of the most dynamic receivers in the country, Tylan Wallace — off the field. I think Texas wins this one and ends the home losing streak in a high-scoring ball game.

Texas 45, Oklahoma State 38

Mike Roach, Recruiting Analyst

With the total in Vegas at 73, I think it’s a good idea to probably bet the over. Oklahoma State’s explosive offense will be a tough test for an up and down Texas defense. The Longhorns haven’t won over the Pokes at home since 2008, and a loss would represent a step back for the program in what should be a next step type of year. The Texas offense looks capable of dueling it out in a high scoring battle, and it should be a thriller.

Texas 44, Oklahoma State 42

Clint Buckley, Recruiting Reporter

It’s hard to believe Oklahoma State has won five straight in Austin. With that said, there exists a real possibility that Texas loses its sixth straight at DKR to OSU on Saturday.

The trio of Spencer Sanders, Chuba Hubbard and Tylan Wallace is as good as any Texas will see this season. Texas’ young secondary will be tested once again, and it will be interesting to see how much progress has been made, in particular with the corners, since the LSU game.

18COMMENTS

I expect a ton of points.

Texas 49, Oklahoma State 45

The DB's will be Chris Brown at Joker, Caden Sterns at boundary safety, Montrell Estell at field safety, and Brandon Jones at nickel. I think there's some belief that Jones is the steadiest in the back-end, and there's a ton of usefulness to that this week with Tylan Wallace waiting to strike deep, but he provides too much versus the run at nickel. There is a lot of trust in Estell's ability. He could eventually have the breakout we're seeing from Chris Brown. Do not sleep on the value of development.

i was thinking they may do this. i tend to agree against an O like OSU. you stop the run. they will get theirs passing anyway. jones in the box is getting your best open field tacklers closer to the box. replacing foster. estell is teh wildcard here

50 minutes ago, The Earl of Texas said:

Hopefully that means general money went against us and the sharps hopped on it when it went low enough for them.

I'm just hoping this means the favorite will hold true, but will we win by 4 or 8.

I know the saying is "good teams win, great teams cover", but I just want the W dammit.