Texas opens as a 7 point favorite v Oklahoma State

TexasMan

2 things

It's awesome that this game is sold out and our crowds are looking to be dynamic and a part of the games this season. Refreshing given that I'm almost positive I'd piss people off as a student ('10-13) for yelling as loud as I possibly could. When students are more "whine and cheese" than the ones who pay the bills on the other side of DKR, it makes cheering for Texas feel like you're a dirty peasant, infecting those around you with your commoner type ways. 

What's the deal with Overshown? Anyone else looking at Chris Brown's performance as bittersweet (in this and only this regard) thus far? I love how CB is playing and it's a testament to the staff's development and training. 

1 minute ago, BigHorn'13 said:

2 things

It's awesome that this game is sold out and our crowds are looking to be dynamic and a part of the games this season. Refreshing given that I'm almost positive I'd piss people off as a student ('10-13) for yelling as loud as I possibly could. When students are more "whine and cheese" than the ones who pay the bills on the other side of DKR, it makes cheering for Texas feel like you're a dirty peasant, infecting those around you with your commoner type ways. 

What's the deal with Overshown? Anyone else looking at Chris Brown's performance as bittersweet (in this and only this regard) thus far? I love how CB is playing and it's a testament to the staff's development and training. 

He's hurt, back injury. Kid's made of glass, which probably isn't optimal when your hallmark is running into people very very hard.

Edited by texifornia

Picks Texas over Okie Lite.  

Pretty funny 20:38 mark...  RJ discusses possible Gundy vs Herman cage match, and picks Matt Campbell as winner of a cage match between all B12 coaches.  His partner say Miles might win cause he'll bring a gun and a knife to the fight... 😄😄😄

Mentions interesting point on strategy Belicheck used to stop Le'Veon Bell... defenders don't run up field towards LB, but rather contain him with numbers -- no running lanes.  Thinks Orlando should use similar approach to stop Spencer from running and dare OSU QB to beat Texas throwing the ball.

Edited by LTtxfan
messed up

10 minutes ago, LTtxfan said:

Pretty funny 20:38 mark...  RJ discusses possible Gundy vs Herman cage match, and picks Matt Campbell as winner of a cage match between all B12 coaches.  His partner say Miles might win cause he'll bring a gun and a knife to the fight... 😄😄😄

Mentions interesting point on strategy Belicheck used to stop Le'Veon Bell... defenders don't run up field towards LB, but rather contain him with numbers -- no running lanes.  Thinks Orlando should use similar approach to stop Spencer from running and dare OSU QB to beat Texas throwing the ball.

I hope Tom doesn’t bring a sledgehammer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LTtxfan said:

LOL reminds me of that bit on Seinfeld when Jerry and George were arguing about who would win in a fight....

Jerry: Elaine, who do you think would win in a fight between me and George.

Elaine: (no hesitation) George

Jerry: Why?

Elaine: George fights dirty.

Jerry: What would you do?

George: Pull hair...poke eyes...groin stuff...whatever I gotta do.

Les Miles would totally fight dirty, lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, 'stache said:

He wasn't even a bad linebacker. Played a few years on the full time (i.e., not practice squad) roster for the Steelers. 

Oh yeah agreed.

But even Hall-of-famers get posterized sometimes.... vis a vis Patrick Ewing on every single poster of Micheal Jordan dunking on someone in the 90s.... :D

(Scipio Tex) Oklahoma State Cowboys Football Preview

I don't need to sell y'all on the importance of winning this Big 12 home opener against a dangerous Cowboy football team with a first rate offense and some really good offensive coaches. Though Texas leads the overall series 24-9, Texas hasn't won since 2014 and the Cowboys have won a remarkable 7 out of their last 9. By the way, that 2014 Texas win was when Mike Gundy was saddled with Dax Garman as his starting QB. I won't get into the 2015 loss in Austin as I'm not Blame It On The Refs Guy, but I'm getting pissed off just thinking about it and I'm white knuckling and about to punch an object really, really hard.

But I did notice this...did you see that the NFL officials blew another Saints-Rams call last Sunday? A ref whistled a play dead that would have been a 89 yard Saints fumble recovery TD by Cam Jordan despite specific preseason instructions from the league to stop whistling plays dead and just let replay sort it out. Who was that ref that decided to take charge and impose his will on the game? Walt Anderson. Former Big 12 head of officials. Yes, that Walt Anderson. Who reviewed that famous 2015 Texas-OSU Vegas parlay game and pronounced that it was pretty well officiated overall. In the postgame press conference, Saint DL Cam Jordan called Walt Anderson a FootLocker employee.

If the shoe fits, Walt.

Cowboy Offense

Okie State has a loaded offense and while a schedule of Oregon State, McNeese and Tulsa isn't so daunting, 49 points per game is real and Oklahoma State hasn't unloaded all of their schematic barrels yet. They're waiting on bigger game - like Longhorns. New OC Sean Gleeson is the latest Gundy wunderkind (Yurcich got money-whipped to Ohio State) and the former Princeton OC is a creative coach with a real knack for scheming up the running game and finding favorable one-shot looks in the passing game. There are some broad Harsin parallels in how he uses formation to suggest one thing, mess up D assignments, and do something entirely unexpected, but Gleeson gets there differently. Gundy has a terrific nose for young coaching talent and a lot of that has to do with his trust in himself over perception (most Texas fans would tantrum if Herman hired Div III coordinators or Ivy Leaguers) and the fact that he knows exactly what good looks like on the offensive side of the ball.

The fact that Gleeson looks 14 years old only adds to his mystique as Sean McVay/Joe Brady young offensive guru hiring practices only increase the appeal of 19 year old offensive coordinators who have repped out millions of scenarios on their Madden Football set-up.

Hey, the same technologies revolutionized poker.

RB Chuba Hubbard is the best RB in the Big 12 and among the best in the country. He's the #1 leading rusher in FBS and has notched a pair of 200+ yard games already. He has finishing speed, will run inside with abandon despite a medium frame, has terrific cutback ability and great hands. That last trait is something I expect OSU to feature on some screens, wheel routes and check downs. Specifically, some stuff they've yet to show. Really good player, continuing a long line of Cowboy excellence at the position. Tackling is crucial, as Hubbard's acceleration is something to behold once he gets going.

Tylan Wallace is probably the best WR in the league unless your tastes run more to Lamb. He's good at everything: hands, route running, speed, quickness, ball skills. If you can see a weakness in his game, I'm all ears. He already has six touchdowns on the season (OSU has 7 total passing touchdowns, hmm, who shall we double?) and he's averaging over 26 yards per catch. He dropped Kris Boyd's draft stock about two rounds in Stillwater last year on the way to a 10-222-2 td stat line and a 38-35 shootout win. IF ONLY WE COULD HAVE PREDICTED THAT OSU WOULD THROW TO THEIR #1 RECEIVER. The rest of the Cowboy receiving corps isn't particularly notable outside of Dillon Stoner, an experienced receiver with much better speed than his possession receiver-ish characteristics suggest.

Spencer Sanders will embrace his first real big game environment in Austin. The redshirt freshman has regained his dual threat ability (he blew out both knees, but has already notched a >100 yard rushing effort this year) but unlike most young dual threats, he's been calm in the pocket and showed good command. His constraint threat to our defense in complement to Chuba Hubbard as both runner and passer is a problem, particularly if Orlando gets all call-matchy and OSU shrugs at our "looks" and just attacks open space and positional discipline. I'd prefer to see if Texas can find honest pressure up front, take away easy reads with coverage and make Sanders stand strong in the pocket and go through some progressions. Speed him up, slow him down. Speed him up, slow him down. Sanders is averaging over 10 yards per attempt and completing 67% of his passes, but he hasn't yet had a 30+ attempt game. How will he hold up if the burden of the game is placed on his shoulders?

The Oklahoma State OL is veteran and, to my viewing, underrated. Every single one of them redshirted. Four of them are 4th or 5th year players. Really solid bunch and they get after it in the running game. Have they faced personnel like Texas yet? Nope. Not on their schedule and certainly not in practice. The Texas brain trust needs to scheme ways to make them feel the DL upgrade in opposition.

It's worth noting that Todd Orlando's terrific performance against the 2017 Cowboy offense came with 3 and 4 man rushes where Texas played heavy coverage and was willing to allow some Justice Hill chain moving in exchange for shaking up Mason Rudolph, forcing turnovers, and playing some terrific red zone defense. Different personnel, different QB for OSU, but it is worth noting.

If you don't think OSU comes out running tempo on a script, you're not paying attention. Anticipate the script and what those single read confidence-instilling plays might be and make some calculated adjustments.

Cowboy Defense

The DL isn't very good. They try to fill space and play the run while OSU gets pressure from LB Amen Ogbongbemiga, whose name I was able to successfully pronounce on the Everyone Gets a Trophy podcast by some miracle of God. Amen, y'all! Amen is smallish and fast, but he can bring it on interior stunts and already has 3.5 sacks on the season. He's the star of their front 6 or 7. Everyone else is...FBS adequate. They're also a bit small once you get past the DL.

The premier players on the OSU defense are the corners - AJ Green and Rodarius Williams. They man them up more than any cornerback duo in the league and they live with the feast/famine that produces when DC Jim Knowles brings his (often excessive) pressure packages. He has toned it down a bit this year, so we'll see what happens in Austin. I think Knowles learned some hard lessons in Big 12 play last year and they're doing less better.

That CB duo gave LJH and CJ problems in Stillwater and cost the Texas offense several wasted possessions (OSU led 31-14 as six Texas possessions yielded less than 10 yards) before the staff adjusted to secondary and tertiary passing options and started rolling late with touchdowns on 3 of our last 4 possessions. Too little, too late.

Herman and Beck understand what happened and will scheme accordingly. This Texas receiving corps has much better distributed talent than last year and more players that can hurt the Cowboy defense. So even if we concede that AJ and Ro win more battles than they lose with Collin Johnson and, say, Devin Duvernay (which I'm not willing to concede for Dev), what are they going to do with Eagles and Smith? Or Ingram and Johnson as pass catchers? How will they deal with Sam Ehlinger's refined command of the offense and his ability to throw into pressure with plucky aplomb?

Oklahoma State's entire goal will be to unload their defensive guns early, pray for a sluggish Texas offensive effort, get a lead, and create a reprise of last year's shootout win. Once they shoot those bullets, only the Texas offense can stop itself.

Final thoughts

I don't fully trust our defensive staff right now, but I do trust the Longhorn offense. Actually, don't trust is harsh. I just don't know what to expect from them.

Nonetheless, I like Texas to win in a shootout this Saturday, but I'd stay away from those Vegas lines.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

That's a strategy tailor-made for Le'Veon because he just stands there and waits and waits and waits until someone overpursues, and then takes the space created from that. I'm not sure it's the best strategy for Hubbard. I watched some of the Tulsa game, and the run blocking by the OSU O line on many of the runs was absolutely incredible - holes sometimes looked wide enough to drive a car through. Our d line needs to hold their own and disrupt plays when possible.

Correct me if I'm wrong on some of these:

They have several players who are/were supposed to be starters who it isn't clear whether or not they'll play, including defensive tackles Sione Asi and Brendon Evers, and linebacker Devin Harper; I don't think Gundy is going to telegraph their availability before the game

Defensive end Israel Antwine is a transfer still dealing with some sort of administrative issues (presumably transcripts), and linebacker Calvin Bundage are still expected to be out.

This should give some clarity for why their DL looked so unimpressive against Tulsa. 

If you watch the Oregon State game, they were missing three more guys in that game who are back and played against Tulsa; linebackers Malcolm Rodriguez and Kevin Henry, and DL Jayden Jernigan.

Stud true freshman TE Grayson Boomer tore his ACL a few weeks ago. 

54 minutes ago, Fud said:

Correct me if I'm wrong on some of these:

They have several players who are/were supposed to be starters who it isn't clear whether or not they'll play, including defensive tackles Sione Asi and Brendon Evers, and linebacker Devin Harper; I don't think Gundy is going to telegraph their availability before the game

Defensive end Israel Antwine is a transfer still dealing with some sort of administrative issues (presumably transcripts), and linebacker Calvin Bundage are still expected to be out.

This should give some clarity for why their DL looked so unimpressive against Tulsa. 

If you watch the Oregon State game, they were missing three more guys in that game who are back and played against Tulsa; linebackers Malcolm Rodriguez and Kevin Henry, and DL Jayden Jernigan.

Stud true freshman TE Grayson Boomer tore his ACL a few weeks ago. 

In my experience it seems that neither rain, sleet, academic fraud, failed drug tests or rape allegations keep other team's players out vs Texas. Somehow they always get enough horse cortisone shot into them to manage to play vs the 'Horns.

16 hours ago, Machinator said:

(Scipio Tex) Oklahoma State Cowboys Football Preview

Hide contents

I don't need to sell y'all on the importance of winning this Big 12 home opener against a dangerous Cowboy football team with a first rate offense and some really good offensive coaches. Though Texas leads the overall series 24-9, Texas hasn't won since 2014 and the Cowboys have won a remarkable 7 out of their last 9. By the way, that 2014 Texas win was when Mike Gundy was saddled with Dax Garman as his starting QB. I won't get into the 2015 loss in Austin as I'm not Blame It On The Refs Guy, but I'm getting pissed off just thinking about it and I'm white knuckling and about to punch an object really, really hard.

But I did notice this...did you see that the NFL officials blew another Saints-Rams call last Sunday? A ref whistled a play dead that would have been a 89 yard Saints fumble recovery TD by Cam Jordan despite specific preseason instructions from the league to stop whistling plays dead and just let replay sort it out. Who was that ref that decided to take charge and impose his will on the game? Walt Anderson. Former Big 12 head of officials. Yes, that Walt Anderson. Who reviewed that famous 2015 Texas-OSU Vegas parlay game and pronounced that it was pretty well officiated overall. In the postgame press conference, Saint DL Cam Jordan called Walt Anderson a FootLocker employee.

If the shoe fits, Walt.

Cowboy Offense

Okie State has a loaded offense and while a schedule of Oregon State, McNeese and Tulsa isn't so daunting, 49 points per game is real and Oklahoma State hasn't unloaded all of their schematic barrels yet. They're waiting on bigger game - like Longhorns. New OC Sean Gleeson is the latest Gundy wunderkind (Yurcich got money-whipped to Ohio State) and the former Princeton OC is a creative coach with a real knack for scheming up the running game and finding favorable one-shot looks in the passing game. There are some broad Harsin parallels in how he uses formation to suggest one thing, mess up D assignments, and do something entirely unexpected, but Gleeson gets there differently. Gundy has a terrific nose for young coaching talent and a lot of that has to do with his trust in himself over perception (most Texas fans would tantrum if Herman hired Div III coordinators or Ivy Leaguers) and the fact that he knows exactly what good looks like on the offensive side of the ball.

The fact that Gleeson looks 14 years old only adds to his mystique as Sean McVay/Joe Brady young offensive guru hiring practices only increase the appeal of 19 year old offensive coordinators who have repped out millions of scenarios on their Madden Football set-up.

Hey, the same technologies revolutionized poker.

RB Chuba Hubbard is the best RB in the Big 12 and among the best in the country. He's the #1 leading rusher in FBS and has notched a pair of 200+ yard games already. He has finishing speed, will run inside with abandon despite a medium frame, has terrific cutback ability and great hands. That last trait is something I expect OSU to feature on some screens, wheel routes and check downs. Specifically, some stuff they've yet to show. Really good player, continuing a long line of Cowboy excellence at the position. Tackling is crucial, as Hubbard's acceleration is something to behold once he gets going.

Tylan Wallace is probably the best WR in the league unless your tastes run more to Lamb. He's good at everything: hands, route running, speed, quickness, ball skills. If you can see a weakness in his game, I'm all ears. He already has six touchdowns on the season (OSU has 7 total passing touchdowns, hmm, who shall we double?) and he's averaging over 26 yards per catch. He dropped Kris Boyd's draft stock about two rounds in Stillwater last year on the way to a 10-222-2 td stat line and a 38-35 shootout win. IF ONLY WE COULD HAVE PREDICTED THAT OSU WOULD THROW TO THEIR #1 RECEIVER. The rest of the Cowboy receiving corps isn't particularly notable outside of Dillon Stoner, an experienced receiver with much better speed than his possession receiver-ish characteristics suggest.

Spencer Sanders will embrace his first real big game environment in Austin. The redshirt freshman has regained his dual threat ability (he blew out both knees, but has already notched a >100 yard rushing effort this year) but unlike most young dual threats, he's been calm in the pocket and showed good command. His constraint threat to our defense in complement to Chuba Hubbard as both runner and passer is a problem, particularly if Orlando gets all call-matchy and OSU shrugs at our "looks" and just attacks open space and positional discipline. I'd prefer to see if Texas can find honest pressure up front, take away easy reads with coverage and make Sanders stand strong in the pocket and go through some progressions. Speed him up, slow him down. Speed him up, slow him down. Sanders is averaging over 10 yards per attempt and completing 67% of his passes, but he hasn't yet had a 30+ attempt game. How will he hold up if the burden of the game is placed on his shoulders?

The Oklahoma State OL is veteran and, to my viewing, underrated. Every single one of them redshirted. Four of them are 4th or 5th year players. Really solid bunch and they get after it in the running game. Have they faced personnel like Texas yet? Nope. Not on their schedule and certainly not in practice. The Texas brain trust needs to scheme ways to make them feel the DL upgrade in opposition.

It's worth noting that Todd Orlando's terrific performance against the 2017 Cowboy offense came with 3 and 4 man rushes where Texas played heavy coverage and was willing to allow some Justice Hill chain moving in exchange for shaking up Mason Rudolph, forcing turnovers, and playing some terrific red zone defense. Different personnel, different QB for OSU, but it is worth noting.

If you don't think OSU comes out running tempo on a script, you're not paying attention. Anticipate the script and what those single read confidence-instilling plays might be and make some calculated adjustments.

Cowboy Defense

The DL isn't very good. They try to fill space and play the run while OSU gets pressure from LB Amen Ogbongbemiga, whose name I was able to successfully pronounce on the Everyone Gets a Trophy podcast by some miracle of God. Amen, y'all! Amen is smallish and fast, but he can bring it on interior stunts and already has 3.5 sacks on the season. He's the star of their front 6 or 7. Everyone else is...FBS adequate. They're also a bit small once you get past the DL.

The premier players on the OSU defense are the corners - AJ Green and Rodarius Williams. They man them up more than any cornerback duo in the league and they live with the feast/famine that produces when DC Jim Knowles brings his (often excessive) pressure packages. He has toned it down a bit this year, so we'll see what happens in Austin. I think Knowles learned some hard lessons in Big 12 play last year and they're doing less better.

That CB duo gave LJH and CJ problems in Stillwater and cost the Texas offense several wasted possessions (OSU led 31-14 as six Texas possessions yielded less than 10 yards) before the staff adjusted to secondary and tertiary passing options and started rolling late with touchdowns on 3 of our last 4 possessions. Too little, too late.

Herman and Beck understand what happened and will scheme accordingly. This Texas receiving corps has much better distributed talent than last year and more players that can hurt the Cowboy defense. So even if we concede that AJ and Ro win more battles than they lose with Collin Johnson and, say, Devin Duvernay (which I'm not willing to concede for Dev), what are they going to do with Eagles and Smith? Or Ingram and Johnson as pass catchers? How will they deal with Sam Ehlinger's refined command of the offense and his ability to throw into pressure with plucky aplomb?

Oklahoma State's entire goal will be to unload their defensive guns early, pray for a sluggish Texas offensive effort, get a lead, and create a reprise of last year's shootout win. Once they shoot those bullets, only the Texas offense can stop itself.

Final thoughts

I don't fully trust our defensive staff right now, but I do trust the Longhorn offense. Actually, don't trust is harsh. I just don't know what to expect from them.

Nonetheless, I like Texas to win in a shootout this Saturday, but I'd stay away from those Vegas lines.

Excellent breakdown right here.  Can't disagree with any of it, including the prediction.

The only additional note I would make is that one early impact player on defense that wasn't noted was Trace Ford.  He's a true freshman DE who has been getting more and more playing time because he's been too good to keep off the field.

He's an edge rusher with a similar frame as former OSU DE Jordan Brailford. Obviously being a true freshman, he's not as disruptive as Brailford was, but the kid will be a really nice player and may cause some disruption in the passing game.

12 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

The only additional note I would make is that one early impact player on defense that wasn't noted was Trace Ford.  He's a true freshman DE who has been getting more and more playing time because he's been too good to keep off the field.

I was a big fan of Trace Ford when he was a recruit. Not surprised to hear he's doing well early.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Vertigo said:

I really want to see Texas take over this game on the ground. I honestly don't know if we are willing to game plan that way due to our RB depth, but we do have the bye week coming up. 

With Okie Life's strength at CB and safety, Texas has to attack the Osu defense with Duvernay and Jake Smith.  With a lot of depth at WR, the Horns should run several go routes early in the game to wear out the Osu CB's and safeties.  

I also expect the Texas RB's and TE's to be more involved in the passing game.  Horns may be more aggressive in 1st half play calling by using their passing game on early downs to set up their running game. 🤘  

Edited by LTtxfan
typo

56 minutes ago, oSuJeff97 said:

Excellent breakdown right here.  Can't disagree with any of it, including the prediction.

He's an edge rusher with a similar frame as former OSU DE Jordan Brailford. Obviously being a true freshman, he's not as disruptive as Brailford was, but the kid will be a really nice player and may cause some disruption in the passing game.

Any clarity on whether or not Asi,  Evers, and Harper are expected to play?

12 minutes ago, Fud said:

Any clarity on whether or not Asi,  Evers, and Harper are expected to play?

Not really. The only think I've heard is that Harper will "probably" be back. Bundage is the other LB who has been out all year.... not expected to play against Texas.

Not sure on the DL guys.  Nobody has heard anything. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Vertigo said:

I really want to see Texas take over this game on the ground. I honestly don't know if we are willing to game plan that way due to our RB depth, but we do have the bye week coming up. 

It is the last game that Roschon Johnson can play and still keep his redshirt. 

2 minutes ago, UDontKnow said:

It is the last game that Roschon Johnson can play and still keep his redshirt. 

That shirt is as good as gone for this year. 

Optimistically, he could redshirt next year since Sam and Casey will still be QB1 and QB2, but I wouldn't count on it. 

Edited by Eggo

6 minutes ago, Eggo said:

That shirt is as good as gone for this year. 

Optimistically, he could redshirt next year since Sam and Casey will still be QB1 and QB2, but I wouldn't count on it. 

Depends on various undetermined factors, including how well he’s passing the ball after working on his mechanics