austin radio stuff

hayden_horn

On 9/18/2023 at 9:40 PM, AUS-97HORN said:

that group must have been fed a whole lot of bs about how many folks in austin wanted to listen to them. 

according to this site:  104.9 was getting around 43k unique listeners per day who listened at least 15 mins a day.  even 1300zone was getting 18k users. 

On 9/20/2023 at 7:51 PM, chainsaw said:

I'm curious what their target is. I've never run a YouTube channel so I don't know. It looks like they have a few sponsors which I would think is better than not having them.

Given the lower costs, I’m assuming if they got to 30k subscribers they’d probably be making enough to survive.  Not looking good.  

1 minute ago, Snake Diggity said:

Given the lower costs, I’m assuming if they got to 30k subscribers they’d probably be making enough to survive.  Not looking good.  

No better time to grow than the college football season, so I agree they need to pick it up. It looks like whoever runs it has a lot of connections, though, which is one of many things that other YouTubers don't have and can't use. Looks like Ricky Williams has some kind of astrology app he's promoting on the channel.

5 hours ago, Snake Diggity said:

YouTube pays just a little under $0.02 per view.  They're not making enough from YouTube revenue to support themselves.  Their highest viewed video is 5K views ($100), but most are < 1K.  They do have a bunch of sponsors in their streams, so I have no idea how much those folks are paying.

I believe they post the recorded episodes to Spotify, Apple Podcasts, and their own app. So I’m sure some people go that route instead of YouTube, but I highly doubt that’s a large enough number to sustain them. Pretty much all of them except BK have full-time jobs outside of this though. I don’t know how he’s making ends meet and paying Austin rent with this being his full-time gig.

23 hours ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

YouTube pays just a little under $0.02 per view.  They're not making enough from YouTube revenue to support themselves.  Their highest viewed video is 5K views ($100), but most are < 1K.  They do have a bunch of sponsors in their streams, so I have no idea how much those folks are paying.

I assume they see it as some kind of long term investment. It's a good YouTube channel to leave on during the work day since there's very few commercial breaks and they don't toss to some national blowhard like Jim Rome in the middle of the day who's not going to talk about UT football or Texas pro teams. Sometimes there's discussion of MLB that I don't care much for but I guess others do. Other than that, the channel has helped get me hyped about the games when I don't have the time to constantly refresh the Football threads here.

• 3 weeks later...

is it just my account, or is no one else able to stream 101.9 on alexa anymore?

Note, I realize I can stream it through their website.

i took my usual week off after a loss listening to the radio, and started trying to listen on Monday, and alexa keeps saying 101.9 isnt available.

now that has happened in the past for small time period (10-30 mins) but never 4 days straight.  

Ive reset the app, and the alexa itself, and that hasnt helped.  and like 90% of Austin, I cant get their signal over the air anymore, despite me living near the domain.

I'm beginning to think 101.9 is a pirate radio station being run out of a boat on the middle of Lake Buchanan. 

Even their streaming is spotty. Everything else streams just fine. The Horn? Not so much. Stream hangs several times a minute. 

• Hook 'Em 1
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

i took my usual week off after a loss listening to the radio, and started trying to listen on Monday, and alexa keeps saying 101.9 isnt available.

now that has happened in the past for small time period (10-30 mins) but never 4 days straight.  

Ive reset the app, and the alexa itself, and that hasnt helped.  and like 90% of Austin, I cant get their signal over the air anymore, despite me living near the domain.

Not just you. I haven’t been able to stream it in over a week. I’ve contacted them via email and text line with no response so far. 

• Hook 'Em 1

Yeah AFAIC the station doesn't exist. Not sure how on earth they're going to pay these guys - it probably folds within a year and then we officially have no local sports radio.

I tried to listen to 102.7 the other morning and it was just total garbage. 

12 hours ago, AUS-97HORN said:

Not just you. I had to listen on TuneIn in the car because their signal is horribad, and last week it stopped streaming there. 

• 1 month later...

I actually listen to Bobby Burton's OnTexas youtube videos a lot in the car for my UT sports radio now. They are short (20-30 min), on a particular topic, and his "co-hosts" (e.g., Rod B, Gerry Hamilton, Scipio Tex) are quite knowledgeable.  The BK and crew YouTube videos are too long, meandering, and there's too much meaningless bloviating from Bucky, Chad, etc.  101.9 is out because the signal is so shit.  

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, JesusSweatDuck said:

E Hogan and Rod are still on 101.9 and 1260.  There's another local show from 4-6 now as well.  Perhaps UT being good revives it?

101.9 is unlistenable. There's effectively no local FM sports radio in Austin. 

Edited by ztejas

3 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

I actually listen to Bobby Burton's OnTexas youtube videos a lot in the car for my UT sports radio now. They are short (20-30 min), on a particular topic, and his "co-hosts" (e.g., Rod B, Gerry Hamilton, Scipio Tex) are quite knowledgeable.  The BK and crew YouTube videos are too long, meandering, and there's too much meaningless bloviating from Bucky, Chad, etc.  101.9 is out because the signal is so shit.  

Yeah I dropped Texas Sports Unfiltered after listening to BK talk about watching a hobo shit in a red solo cup on a Texas-OU pregame show. Totally pointless drivel most of the time.

• Haha 1

36 minutes ago, bschoolprof said:

1260 comes in better than 101.9.  It actually works in most of Austin.

I've been listening to bits and pieces of Jeff Ward's show (and the Jeff & Ed show) over the last month.

Jeff has gotten stupid.  His views on the college football playoff at this point are remarkably ignorant.  Maybe the last divorce scrambled his brain, but he is as obnoxious as ever yet almost never makes a salient point.

58 minutes ago, jimmyjazz said:

I've been listening to bits and pieces of Jeff Ward's show (and the Jeff & Ed show) over the last month.

Jeff has gotten stupid.  His views on the college football playoff at this point are remarkably ignorant.  Maybe the last divorce scrambled his brain, but he is as obnoxious as ever yet almost never makes a salient point.

Didn't realize he got divorced again. Is that two ex-wives? And like 5 kids? Fucking ouch.