Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

15 hours ago, satyanash said:

Brewster may not be at A&M anymore, but his tweets are as tone-deaf as ever.

Not a smart Tweet...... Brewster, GettingTrolled for previous UNC Scandal......

https://www.foxnews.com/us/massive-cheating-scandal-at-unc-included-athletes-fake-classes-and-automatic-grades

Published October 23, 2014
Last Update January 8, 2015

Massive cheating scandal at UNC included athletes, fake classes and automatic grades

Interested to see what happens with Tech 2019.... McIvor may Re-Commit Tech??  Hogan may get a shot at aggie.....  Haven't heard where Parker might end up.

Texas Tech 2019 Football Decommits

Edited by LTtxfan

28 minutes ago, Doc Sam Beckett said:

Yeah Michigan fans are fired up over this one. Seeing a lot of talk about the bagmen game. 

Meh.  He comes from a solid nuclear family, and both parents are very involved with his recruitment.  I'm not sure momma would put up with some sleazebag trying to buy her son.  (Also, in case people didn't know this is Justice Hill's brother.)

12 minutes ago, ClubWhatever said:

Meh.  He comes from a solid nuclear family, and both parents are very involved with his recruitment.  I'm not sure momma would put up with some sleazebag trying to buy her son.  (Also, in case people didn't know this is Justice Hill's brother.)

Yeah I don't think the bagmen talk is directed at Dax, I just think losing him was the straw that broke the camel's back. A lot of talk about Bama's class as a whole.... 

Article on Football Scoop today about Dan Mullen, with the tag "Dan Mullen and Florida have a new way to impress parents on visits"

Spoiler

During my time coaching at the small college level, I remember one of the first recruiting lessons that I learned was to “identify the decision maker.” A lot of times, that happens to be the mother of father, and once you figure that out, you realize who you need to get on board with the prospect’s decision.

While there are a number of different ways to do that, it looks like Dan Mullen and Florida may have uncovered a new approach. Most schools like to get kids to put on their uniform to have them get a feel for what it would be like to play for them. Some go all out and deck them out head-to-toe in gear, and the ones that really go above and beyond create a nice little graphic for the kid when they’re done.

…but how about getting dads to join their kids in full uniform for that special photo op? Decked out top to bottom.

That’s what Mullen and the Gators did with 2019 prospect Lyle Summerall III, a four-star prospect that specializes in coming off the edge as a weakside defensive end / outside linebacke, and his father.

It’s kind of funny to see the dad decked out head to toe in Jordan Gator gear and loving every second of it. Maybe this is a recruiting trend we’ll see catch on.

If it does, you can count on a run down of the best ones right here when the latest recruiting cycle ends.

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

Article on Football Scoop today about Dan Mullen, with the tag "Dan Mullen and Florida have a new way to impress parents on visits"

Hide contents

During my time coaching at the small college level, I remember one of the first recruiting lessons that I learned was to “identify the decision maker.” A lot of times, that happens to be the mother of father, and once you figure that out, you realize who you need to get on board with the prospect’s decision.

While there are a number of different ways to do that, it looks like Dan Mullen and Florida may have uncovered a new approach. Most schools like to get kids to put on their uniform to have them get a feel for what it would be like to play for them. Some go all out and deck them out head-to-toe in gear, and the ones that really go above and beyond create a nice little graphic for the kid when they’re done.

…but how about getting dads to join their kids in full uniform for that special photo op? Decked out top to bottom.

That’s what Mullen and the Gators did with 2019 prospect Lyle Summerall III, a four-star prospect that specializes in coming off the edge as a weakside defensive end / outside linebacke, and his father.

It’s kind of funny to see the dad decked out head to toe in Jordan Gator gear and loving every second of it. Maybe this is a recruiting trend we’ll see catch on.

If it does, you can count on a run down of the best ones right here when the latest recruiting cycle ends.

Good Lord, just when I didn't think recruiting could get any worse....well, it can.

• Like 1

Spoiler During my time coaching at the small college level, I remember one of the first recruiting lessons that I learned was to “identify the decision maker.” A lot of times, that happens to be the mother of father, and once you figure that out, you realize who you need to get on board with the prospect’s decision.

This is the dumbest thing I’ve ever seen. It will be wildly successful.

13 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

Interested to see what happens with Tech 2019.... McIvor may Re-Commit Tech??  Hogan may get a shot at aggie.....  Haven't heard where Parker might end up.

Texas Tech 2019 Football Decommits

Hogan--as Machinator mentioned, he recommitted

Steven Parker-- visited TCU this past week end, seeing TT coaches Wed., visiting TT this week end

Maverick McIvor--recommitted, will visit TT this week end

Keeyon Stewart--widely expected to recommit, hasn't done so yet

Markel Reed-- jury still out

Brandon Joseph-- jury still out

Trevor Roberson-- described as 50/50 after reports of Ark & Missouri visits the last 2 week ends.  Ark source fwiw says he's staying.

Gilbert Ibeneme-- the fairly highly recruited DE reaffirmed commitment

Some informal reports of a couple of new commits as well, one a flip from another Big 12 school (not Powell).  We'll see.

1 minute ago, pigmeat markham said:

Steven Parker-- visited TCU this past week end, seeing TT coaches Wed., visiting TT this week end

Trevor Roberson-- described as 50/50 after reports of Ark & Missouri visits the last 2 week ends.  Ark source fwiw says he's staying.

Some informal reports of a couple of new commits as well, one a flip from another Big 12 school (not Powell).  We'll see.

Landon Peterson.

13 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

So far impressed at how Wells and new TT Staff has handled 2019 Recruiting Class.....

8 hours ago, LTtxfan said:

So far impressed at how Wells and new TT Staff has handled 2019 Recruiting Class.....

I wanted Kliff fired, but was not particularly fond of the Wells hire.  Fact is, I initially hated it.   Have to say though, this far he's done a really nice job with this class under trying circumstances.

This week end could be pretty interesting as well.

I don't mean this as a criticism of Tech but Kliff wasn't a very recruiter and I'm sure that will help Tech with this transition class. 

A lot of lower ranked recruits don't have committable offers from the big boys which makes it easier to hold on to recruits. Tech is likely the best committable offer for most of their current commits outside of a few. 

The good news for schools like Tech, K-State and Kansas is their recruiting classes weren't very good under the previous coaching staffs so there isn't much chance a huge dip in the recruiting rankings. Even if you lose a couple lower ranked recruits you can probably replace them with similar caliber recruits. 

Edited by texasstrong12

8 hours ago, texasstrong12 said:

I don't mean this as a criticism of Tech but Kliff wasn't a very recruiter and I'm sure that will help Tech with this transition class. 

A lot of lower ranked recruits don't have committable offers from the big boys which makes it easier to hold on to recruits. Tech is likely the best committable offer for most of their current commits outside of a few. 

The good news for schools like Tech, K-State and Kansas is their recruiting classes weren't very good under the previous coaching staffs so there isn't much chance a huge dip in the recruiting rankings. Even if you lose a couple lower ranked recruits you can probably replace them with similar caliber recruits. 

Agree, KK was an absolutely awful recruiter.  Also agree the lower ranked guys can be replaced fairly easily.

While as you suggest a goodly number of the year's class didn't have offers from the big boys, quite a few did have offers from comparable, at times even better programs (a notch above the KU's of the world) which at this late date aren't always easy to replace. Don't recall 247, but Rivals had the class ranked something like 35th or so before KK's departure--not bad by Kliff standards.

That's by and large what I was alluding to when suggesting he had done a pretty good job.  Keeping those types.  Had 19 commits, all but a kicker and 2 guys they offered early on at least 3 stars.

4 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

Not a good night for Wells,   The Shenault decommitment was no surprise as he's got a decent number of options.  I had expected Shenault to do so even before KK left.  Brother goes to Col, he had visited and they were pushing hard.  Other schools are in the mix as well.

Appears Steven Parker could end up at KU of all places.  Miles announced today the hiring of recently departed TT WR coach, Emmett Jones.  Parker has had a very lengthy relationship with Jones as have many of the Dallas inner city kids.  They're tight.  Parker at this point still supposed to visit TT this week end.

11 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

I wanted Kliff fired, but was not particularly fond of the Wells hire.  Fact is, I initially hated it.   Have to say though, this far he's done a really nice job with this class under trying circumstances.

This week end could be pretty interesting as well.

2 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Not a good night for Wells,   The Shenault decommitment was no surprise as he's got a decent number of options.  I had expected Shenault to do so even before KK left.  Brother goes to Col, he had visited and they were pushing hard.  Other schools are in the mix as well.

Appears Steven Parker could end up at KU of all places.  Miles announced today the hiring of recently departed TT WR coach, Emmett Jones.  Parker has had a very lengthy relationship with Jones as have many of the Dallas inner city kids.  They're tight.  Parker at this point still supposed to visit TT this week end.

Life comes at you fast.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2018 at 1:48 PM, Tree Fidy said:

Good Lord, just when I didn't think recruiting could get any worse....well, it can.

Yeah, I have been wondering if the kid was getting suited up and the dad was like "I used to play, I scored 6 touchdowns...., you got something in my size?"   And the staff is like "aaaaaa yeah?, ok...ok, sure"

Either way, if it makes the kid and family happy, I'm for it.  /nofreehousejobcar

On 12/10/2018 at 8:34 AM, Fud said:

Clay Webb is announcing today, seems to be Bama vs Georgia

SIAP.....Georgia beat BAMA on Webb

Clay Webb
Clay Webb
  • OC
  • 6-3
  • HIGH SCHOOLOxford
  • HOME TOWNOxford, AL
  • CLASS19

• 4649605.png?fit=bounds&crop=50:50,offset-y0.50&width=50&height=50
    HARDCOMMIT 12/10/2018
    Hard Commit 12/10/18
  •  
Edited by LTtxfan

The Tide have blown away the field in 2019 recruiting. Georgia, A&M, LSU, Clemson, Texas, and Oregon are jockeying behind them.

Let’s not create drama where there is none. Alabama is going to sign the No. 1 recruiting class for the 2019 cycle. A year after finishing fifth to end a seven-year streak of No. 1 classes, the Tide has rolled back to the top spot.

So this piece is more about detailing how it will happen and how the composition of Alabama’s class will help decide who finishes second and third. The Early Signing Period runs Dec. 19-21, and regular National Signing Day is Feb. 6.

Alabama’s already effectively secured the No. 1 class. The Tide could run up the score even more.

As of Tuesday morning, Alabama has 24 commitments, and 23 are rated four- or five-stars. Alabama’s only non-blue-chip commitment is a kicker.

Ten of the top 100 nationally on the 247Sports Composite are committed to the Tide. That’s ridiculous. The entire Pac-12 combined has eight top-100 commits.

Recent commitments like five-star safety Daxton Hill, of Tulsa (Okla.), who turned down the home-state Sooners and flipped from longtime favorite Michigan to pick Alabama. Alabama also has the No. 1 player in New Jersey in five-star defensive lineman Antonio Alfano. The No. 2 player in Alabama, offensive tackle Pierce Quick, is also in the fold.

Outside the top 100, I am a huge fan of Baton Rouge (La.) linebacker Christian Harris, who can cover, hit, and do it all.

But Alabama is still in the mix for a number of elite prospects. Just out of the country’s nine highest-rated uncommitted players, I have three more five-stars picking Alabama: OT Evan Neal, RB Trey Sanders, and LB Nakobe Dean.

The Tide are also in it to varying degrees on five-stars like DE Kayvon Thibodeaux, DT Ishmael Sophser, and OT Darnell Wright. Four-star DT Siaki Ika also remains a possibility, as does Marcus Banks. a four-star CB. They are considered a lock to land four-star LB Henry To’oto’o.

And the flips might not be done. Four-star safety Jordan Battle (currently committed to Ohio State) and or five-star CB Akeem Dent (Florida State) remain possible for the Tide.

Alabama has done this with a new, invigorated staff. After a slightly off cycle in 2018, Nick Saban went out and hired a team of killers on the recruiting trail. Together, they’ve been able to combat negative recruiting tied to rumors of his retirement.

The battle for second could be tight, but Georgia’s the favorite.

As of Tuesday morning, the six teams slotted No. 2 to 7 on the Composite are within 25 ratings points of each other. In theory, those teams could finish in any order.

Despite Oregon being the likely favorite for five-star Kayvon Thibodeaux, it seems unlikely the Ducks get enough other prospects to make the jump from No. 7 to No. 2.

Current No. 6 Texas is in a similar boat. The Longhorns have a strong chance to sign a top-5 class, but getting to No. 2 seems impossible.

Kirby Smart’s Bulldogs have several things working in their favor. For one, they have the lead currently in the non-Bama department. For two, they have only 19 commitments, which gives them an opportunity to add more. The prized commitment so far is Nolan Smith, an edge rusher some believe is the top player in the entire nation. Defensive lineman Travon Walker is also a star, as is interior line prospect Clay Webb.

The Bulldogs are in the running for players like Dean, Neal, and Smith, all of whom I have penciled in for the Tide. They’re a contender for Darnell Wright, the five-star OT from West Virginia.

They could regain a commitment from in-state five-star receiver Jadon Haselwood, whom I have as the top receiver in the nation. They’re also squarely in the running for elite cornerback Tyrique Stevenson. Miami is seen as the top threat for both.

If Georgia can land just three of the above-mentioned uncommitted players, it will have a strong shot of keeping the No. 2 class, giving the Bulldogs finishes of second, first, and third in the last three cycles.

If Georgia falters, Texas A&M, Clemson, or LSU could make a move.

The Aggies have 22 commitments, including 12 four- and five-stars. Offensive tackle Kenyon Green is a star in the making, tight end Baylor Cupp could be special, and cornerback Erick Young is extremely physical.

A&M could pick up four-star cornerback Marcus Banks and will have a shot at four-star defensive end Marcus Stripling. If they get both and Georgia falters, the Aggies could end up with the No. 2 class. Regardless, Texas A&M fans have to be happy with this class.

Clemson currently has 24 commitments, including 11 blue-chippers. Receivers Frank Ladson and Joe Ngata are as good a pair as any in the nation. And cornerback due Sheridan Jones and Andrew Booth are hard to beat.

And while Clemson usually takes smaller classes due to its low attrition rate, the Tigers are able to expand and take several more prospects this year. They could finish second if they get the right players. Those would be elite athlete Quavaris Crouch, four-star guard Will Putnam, four-star guard Tyler Davis, and maybe even Ole Miss running back commit Jerrion Ealy.

LSU will also have a shot. The Tigers have 20 commitments and 12 blue-chippers within that group. Many believe cornerback commit Derek Stingley is the best player in the nation, regardless of position. Running back John Emery Jr. might be the nation’s best runner, and guard Kardell Thomas is an elite offensive lineman.

And yet, the Tigers could add to the haul with some big pieces. Ishmael Sopsher, the top DT in the nation, is considered a heavy LSU lean. So are receiver Devonta Lee and cornerback Jay Ward. If the Tigers add that trio, and maybe a few other pieces, they could leap over Texas A&M and Georgia and hold off Clemson.

Wonder how this 2019 Bama Recruiting Class will rank against their last 10-15 years of Classes??

Anybody know which Coaches are considered Bama's best Recruiters??

Tosh Lupoi is definitely one.......The Rivals Recruiter of the Year in 2010, 

Edited by LTtxfan

Pretty nice get this afternoon for Tech's Wells.  OT Trevor Roberson announces for Tech.  Huge kid whose profile shows offers from Ga, ND, USC, A&M, Oregon, TCU, etc.

Never had publically announced his decommitment but was entirely butt hurt over KK's firing and had taken visits the last two weeks.  Many assumed he was gone.

1 hour ago, pigmeat markham said:

Pretty nice get this afternoon for Tech's Wells.  OT Trevor Roberson announces for Tech.  Huge kid whose profile shows offers from Ga, ND, USC, A&M, Oregon, TCU, etc.

Never had publically announced his decommitment but was entirely butt hurt over KK's firing and had taken visits the last two weeks.  Many assumed he was gone.

Huge Kid??   Try 6ft 11"

Trevor Roberson   OT   6-11    355lbs

https://247sports.com/Player/Trevor-Roberson-84126/

7 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

0% chance those Georgia, ND, USC, aggy offers are commit-able.

Not likely now.  He had been committed to TT for quite a while before Kliff's departure.  Visited Ark and Missouri the last 2 weeks. Came down to Ark and TT.  Fwiw, Rivals has Ark's class at number 11 nationally.

21 hours ago, Hiphopopotamos said:

0% chance those Georgia, ND, USC, aggy offers are commit-able.

Fwiw, would have agreed, but happened to hear today from a prominent resident of Wellington who frequently talks with Trevor Roberson and he allowed as how OU, Ark, Bama, LSU as well as others are all still "trying real hard" with TR.

There's  a coach on the Wellington staff that went to high school with Wells.