Non-Texas Recruiting Notes and Highlights: 2019 Edition

Machinator

1 minute ago, Tired of Lurking said:

Another CB today, 3-star Markel Reed. Jeez, these guys really wanted to play for KK's defense. (wut?)

KK's DC, Gibbs, was actually quite good - they improved dramatically this year. And Wells' most proven hire was his OC, Yost. Dude's gotta build the defensive side quick.

16 hours ago, texifornia said:

KK's DC, Gibbs, was actually quite good - they improved dramatically this year. And Wells' most proven hire was his OC, Yost. Dude's gotta build the defensive side quick.

Gibbs is apparently headed back to UH.  Here's a video I posted earlier on the football board with the two new TT coordinators.  Patterson, the DC, has had some decent experience serving as DC at Pitt, WV, and Arizona State. He's on the 2nd half of the video and has some interesting comments about how defense should be looked at and measured differently  now than it was not all that long ago.

2 minutes ago, Alex Karev said:

QB from San Angelo Central Maverick McIver is headed to USC for a visit after he was contacted byKK. Maverick is the son of former Longhorn QB Rick McIver.

He had been offered by Texas Tech.

Who's the guy on the board that said he's a quintessential small-town kid that didn't want a big city - maybe @pigmeat markham? LA would be a shift for him.

12 hours ago, RabidM said:

hehe... I hope they don't think they're going to come in and start taking recruits away from other schools.  The new coach bump usually takes place in the first full cycle... and at schools not located in fucking Lubbock.  

Granted, I'm a TT fan, but truly I don't say this in a biased, rah rah, go team sense, but objectively, many folk tend to make far too much of the whole Lubbock location/recruiting issue.  Folk like Tim Tadlock (3 cws in last 5 years and tied for most MLB draftees in the country last year),  Marsha Sharp (national women's hoops title),  and regularly nationally ranked track team coach Wes Kittley have clearly demonstrated that.  Chris Beard is killing it on the recruiting trail.

The fact that TT had eight teams or some such finish in the country's top 8 last year seems to very much fly in the face of the can't recruit to Lubbock mantra.  Perhaps, not your own personal cup of tea, I understand completely, but it's honestly not the barrier so many believe.

Really wasn't a big fan of the Wells hire.  I'll spare you the details, but what he's done from a recruiting standpoint thus far is pretty impressive.  Will it continue to work out nicely, who knows? 

Btw, what the hell is Peyton Powell up to?  I certainly don't expect him to flip, but visiting Baylor this week end and meeting with the new TT staff (per Orangebloods)?  Just bored or what?

• Like 2

5 hours ago, texifornia said:

Who's the guy on the board that said he's a quintessential small-town kid that didn't want a big city - maybe @pigmeat markham? LA would be a shift for him.

Don't believe it was me, but LA would definitely be a shift for him and seemingly inconsistent with his past non football interests and hobbies as I understand them.  That said, there are those who have suggested he was far more committed to Kliff than he was the school.

He does seem to have a pretty strong Tech ties though.  His mom, with whom he's close  (parents are divorced), is a TT grad. Grandfather and uncle are huge TT fans, and grads,  has 2 cousins currently at Tech, talked about having TT wallpaper in his room as a kid that sort of thing, so beats me.

Supposed to meet with the new staff Monday I believe it is, so unless USC just blows him away this week end and he commits, the new staff will at least get a shot at getting him back in the fold.  Wouldn't necessarily be the tragedy it would have been pre Wells in that they're recruiting another kid who seems to have as good or better an offer list than McIvor and is far more mobile.  Plus, his knee injury was really bad.

McIvor also chatting it up with a number of other coaches including Richt at Miami.

2 hours ago, pigmeat markham said:

Granted, I'm a TT fan, but truly I don't say this in a biased, rah rah, go team sense, but objectively, many folk tend to make far too much of the whole Lubbock location/recruiting issue.  Folk like Tim Tadlock (3 cws in last 5 years and tied for most MLB draftees in the country last year),  Marsha Sharp (national women's hoops title),  and regularly nationally ranked track team coach Wes Kittley have clearly demonstrated that.  Chris Beard is killing it on the recruiting trail.

The fact that TT had eight teams or some such finish in the country's top 8 last year seems to very much fly in the face of the can't recruit to Lubbock mantra.  Perhaps, not your own personal cup of tea, I understand completely, but it's honestly not the barrier so many believe.

Really wasn't a big fan of the Wells hire.  I'll spare you the details, but what he's done from a recruiting standpoint thus far is pretty impressive.  Will it continue to work out nicely, who knows? 

Btw, what the hell is Peyton Powell up to?  I certainly don't expect him to flip, but visiting Baylor this week end and meeting with the new TT staff (per Orangebloods)?  Just bored or what?

That's right.  

I think the two most overrated things about recruiting are HS coaches influence on the kids and the city the college is in.  I love us being able to sell what ATX has to offer,  but if a kid loves the coaches,  facilities and program at another school better than UT,  they aren't coming here because there are better clubs in Austin.

I talk to HS coaches from schools that send kids to D1 programs every year and they agree the HS coach for the most part isn't the deciding factor in where the kid goes.  They all say  the program,  coaches and facilities at the colleges are the biggest factor,  and that social media is a huge factor also. They also say the kids are very aware of the depth chart at the schools they are interested in.    

33 minutes ago, Horny Bull said:

Daxton Hill has flipped his commitment from Michigan to Alabama.

Dude is legit. He's like the second coming of Caden Sterns. Even with their defense, I would be shocked if he wasn't a starter. He's THAT good. I got to meet him at my best friend's sons game (they play on the same team), and he was insane. Met him, and he's a good kid. Doesn't like ou, which makes him even better. 

7 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

I think Bama is looking to get two more DBs. They’re going to have a big class this year, supposedly around 28.

19 minutes ago, cafe society said:

Does this affect Carter flipping to Bama?

Plus Hill is a safety and Carter is a corner.

14 minutes ago, rickyspub said:

Plus Hill is a safety and Carter is a corner.

It might come down to a pure numbers thing at the end.  They have a ton of options so another DB spot might end up getting allocated somewhere else down the line.  If Carter wants in, he better jump in now.  

3 hours ago, Horny Bull said:

Daxton Hill has flipped his commitment from Michigan to Alabama.

Michigan 's Top Recruit..... Now BAMA's

https://247sports.com/Player/Daxton-Hill-46039864/

https://www.freep.com/story/sports/college/university-michigan/wolverines/2018/12/08/daxton-hill-decommits-michigan-alabama/2253807002/

Edited by LTtxfan