The Lincoln Project

bolverk

8 minutes ago, StassneyHorn said:

When the Country Club/Rockefeller republicans win back their party Steve Schmidt and the rest of those guys will go back to their lake houses with those assholes, and tell stories about how they blew all that D money.

When the Trumpists win possession and are a third party, Country Club Republicans will hire Steve Schmidt and go back to their lake houses and boats and he’ll blow through their money.

Steve Schmidt has a lake house? Or, he had one but doesn’t now because of the Lincoln Project? But he’ll be able to move back again when the establishment Republicans take back control of their party?

Remind us about the last time a former Republican was forgiven for their disloyalty to the party. 

• Hook 'Em 1

1 hour ago, WhatTheBuck said:

The Republicans are kicking Liz Fucking Cheney out. You think they’ll ever welcome Steve Schmidt back? The Lincoln Project crew burned their bridges. There’s no going back.

Yeah, early on I was thinking they were hoping to wreck the GOP, drive out the crazy Trumpists, and then fill the power vacuum.

But that ain't happening.  Lincoln Project members won't be forgiven.

They were Beavis off to the side stirring shit up and yelling "FIRE FIRE"

but they've evolved.  I hope they fully embrace it

giphy.webp

Yeah, early on I was thinking they were hoping to wreck the GOP, drive out the crazy Trumpists, and then fill the power vacuum.
But that ain't happening.  Lincoln Project members won't be forgiven.
They were Beavis off to the side stirring shit up and yelling "FIRE FIRE"
but they've evolved.  I hope they fully embrace it
giphy.webp

I think that was their plan.

But I don’t think even they realized how far gone the GOP actually is - I think they assumed, like many of us assumed, that once Trump lost that the rest of the party would be thrilled to have him gone.

But they aren’t pretending like Trump never happened like many of us predicted - they’re doubling down on being all in.

If the Republicans had treated Trump like yesterday’s news after he lost - like they did with Bush I and Dole and McCain and Romney - then I think TLP would have 100% returned to the fold.

But they’ve gone all in on crazy.
  • Hook 'Em 1

8 hours ago, Bama Chick said:

I think that was their plan.

But I don’t think even they realized how far gone the GOP actually is - I think they assumed, like many of us assumed, that once Trump lost that the rest of the party would be thrilled to have him gone.

But they aren’t pretending like Trump never happened like many of us predicted - they’re doubling down on being all in.

If the Republicans had treated Trump like yesterday’s news after he lost - like they did with Bush I and Dole and McCain and Romney - then I think TLP would have 100% returned to the fold.

But they’ve gone all in on crazy.

Yep, LP isn’t slowing down.  The dominant second party in our country may soon be something else all together as the R become the fringe nationalist party.  Once the money hungry part of the R party that doesn’t like nationalist BS has something viable it will get interesting.  

• 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, Ted Lange said:

That seems inconsistent with the AP report.  I read the AP report as 1/3 went to airtime purchases.  But I think we know that LP didn't use a conventional broadcast media approach, so it makes sense that airtime purchases might be considerably lower than other PACs.

That seems to indicate that about half the $90M went to/against specific candidates.

Still plenty of room for grift and I'm sure there was plenty of it.  Just like I'm pretty sure there's grift or self-dealing in just about all PACs.  #bothsides

Edited by TwiceHorn

1 hour ago, TwiceHorn said:

That seems inconsistent with the AP report.  I read the AP report as 1/3 went to airtime purchases.  But I think we know that LP didn't use a conventional broadcast media approach, so it makes sense that airtime purchases might be considerably lower than other PACs.

That seems to indicate that about half the $90M went to/against specific candidates.

Still plenty of room for grift and I'm sure there was plenty of it.  Just like I'm pretty sure there's grift or self-dealing in just about all PACs.  #bothsides

Sort by their spend against candidates, their record is not good. 80% of their spend was on losses.  They also barely spent any money supporting candidates.  While I laughed at some of the ads they made, these guys were always just a bunch of grifting swift boaters.  Rick Wilson is a pretty sharp and witty guy, but again, he’s just an opportunist who used the hate of trump to grift money.   If the GOP would’ve paid more, he’d have been making anti-Biden ads.  

• 4 weeks later...

More insider tidbits from the unraveling of the Lincoln Project, this time from the NYT:

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/03/08/us/politics/lincoln-project-weaver.html

I was a regular listener of their podcast, and always preferred the ones where it was mainly Steslow and Madrid.  Schmidt and Wilson were just too damn smarmy - and that intuition as a listener seems to have turned out to be accurate.

I'm glad Steslow and Madrid have been able to keep the podcast feed and rebrand it as their own. 

• 1 year later...