Texas AD Chris Del Conte

Machinator

Not really trying to argue - just pointing out he has a narrow view that focuses on those who have money at the expense of those that don't. You rightly mentioned attendance is down everywhere. Thats pretty much true. Texas isn't the only school that has made the mistake of ignoring the development of a fan base for the future in order to maximize profits today. Its amazing to surf this message board and see people in meltdown over the coaches and outraged at the cost of games, but get incensed when someone points out some of the underlying problems. Personally, I won't ever be at another game at Memorial stadium. Introducing alcohol was part of it, but the lousy planning of the stadium improvements has completely erased any breeze for those in the lower stands. When they complete the south end that will make it even worse. I would hate to think whatever UT does must use Aggy as a barometer...

And the change in student seating policy (stream lining entry and first come first serve) was that for the benefit of the wealthy? How is Bevo Blvd which will be open to everyone benefitting the wealthy? The misters were a fans idea tweeted out to CDC. The stadium expansion, which will be paid fully through donations is shockingly adding nicer amenities instead of additional seats. What else would you have them do? What’s your master plan for the stadium? Leave it as is and lose the college football arm race without even a whimper? Lastly, if improving the stadium and some more people drinking at a college event keeps you away, I’m not too worried about losing out on your “fandom” at games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

3 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

Maybe...but Patterson has been gone for a few years and Herman coming in with all his fanfare didn't change the direction of things. BTW - that period after Patterson was an example of what happens when the alums choose one of their own to run things.

lol. Without that period we do not get a top 3 AD. Also, not sure you understand how Patterson got this job in the first place.

You obviously do not follow the history of our administration to understand why we continued to flick our own dicks.

Our future is brighter than ever with CDC. The process and systems he is implementing are scalable, if he gets hit by a bus we will not crumble. That is news.

CDC also took down the signs in front of Occupy Left Field (no real benefit to anyone in the University but the players, who have some noisy fans out there) , in addition to lowering concession prices in DKR. This guy is on the right track as much as any AD at Texas can be, IMO.

28 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

The high water mark was spending four million on a field drainage system that was used for one year before being gutted so more lower level seats could be created and the track eliminated...brilliant. In my book that kind of largesse, disregard for all constituencies needed to support the program and creating an atmosphere of partying that runs off older people and those who don't consider it cool to sit around getting drunk in the shade is prima facie evidence of true "assholishness"...but, hey, knock yourself out.

Yeah!  Fuck CDC for this happening a zillion years ago!  How dare he let this happen on [not] his watch!?  Who does the fuck does he think he is?

1 minute ago, Caver60 said:

CDC also took down the signs in front of Occupy Left Field (no real benefit to anyone in the University but the players, who have some noisy fans out there) , in addition to lowering concession prices in DKR. This guy is on the right track as much as any AD at Texas can be, IMO.

Yeah, but we had a four million dollar drainage system for one year decades ago and now sell beer, so your argument is irrelevant.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1
  • Fuck You 1

24 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

No...In the Big 12, Texas experienced the biggest drop in attendance last year. I guess the "fan day experience" just isn't what it use to be...https://www.diehards.com/texas/texas-longhorns-college-football-attendance-big-12-2017

In addition, despite Herman being the new messiah in waiting, the game against Maryland didn't even draw 90,000

I think it was the lack of jet packs.

• Like 2

Not really trying to argue - just pointing out he has a narrow view that focuses on those who have money at the expense of those that don't. You rightly mentioned attendance is down everywhere. Thats pretty much true. Texas isn't the only school that has made the mistake of ignoring the development of a fan base for the future in order to maximize profits today. Its amazing to surf this message board and see people in meltdown over the coaches and outraged at the cost of games, but get incensed when someone points out some of the underlying problems. Personally, I won't ever be at another game at Memorial stadium. Introducing alcohol was part of it, but the lousy planning of the stadium improvements has completely erased any breeze for those in the lower stands. When they complete the south end that will make it even worse. I would hate to think whatever UT does must use Aggy as a barometer...
As a longtime lurker, I tend to just stay in the shadows here and refrain from making any comments but holy hell, this was the post crazy enough to wake me from my hibernation. Your takes are awful. You do realize he slashed prices on almost every in-stadium item and also introduced cheaper pregame beer prices outside of the stadium, right? Was that done with the wealthy people in mind as well? Although I guess the beer price thing wouldn't impact you consider you're one of the 3 people in the country who don't like alcohol mixed with their college football.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Wally Banger said:

And the change in student seating policy (stream lining entry and first come first serve) was that for the benefit of the wealthy? How is Bevo Blvd which will be open to everyone benefitting the wealthy? The misters were a fans idea tweeted out to CDC. The stadium expansion, which will be paid fully through donations is shockingly adding nicer amenities instead of additional seats. What else would you have them do? What’s your master plan for the stadium? Leave it as is and lose the college football arm race without even a whimper? Lastly, if improving the stadium and some more people drinking at a college event keeps you away, I’m not too worried about losing out on your “fandom” at games.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Correcting a mistake is great... Tell us now about the 175 million dollars being spent to build more space for the wealthy folks who don't want to sit in the sun. I guess thats okey dokey with you? The entire campus tailgating party is a farce and has been since it started. It is literally full of drunks who wander in and are not even going to the game. I guess in your book the people paying to get inside should have to run the gauntlet of AA rejects to get to the gates and then to their seats? As for your contention things will all be paid for by donors, I suggest you get educated about what a bond is and who has to underwrite it. ( https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/dkr-stadium-could-get-175m-for-additions-to-south-end-zone/1356547626 ) My master plan for the stadium would been to have included a healthy _ 16 - 20 foot breezeway through the north end seating so air could get through. The same would be in the south end zone. I would have zero luxury seating for anyone and have more seats for the regular people who pay to see games. I would quire the school fully punish their guidelines for ticket sales and ensure there is equity built into the system instead of giving the same wealthy alums the same seats every year as if they owned some personal seat license. Lose the arms race? What will any stadium improvement do to help with this fictional "arms race" you write about? Seriously, attendance is already down.The last thing that would ever surprise me is someone like yourself showing concern for other people. Next question?

• Fuck You 7

20 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

No...In the Big 12, Texas experienced the biggest drop in attendance last year. I guess the "fan day experience" just isn't what it use to be...https://www.diehards.com/texas/texas-longhorns-college-football-attendance-big-12-2017

In addition, despite Herman being the new messiah in waiting, the game against Maryland didn't even draw 90,000

Actual analysis would say that Texas Tech's drop was larger because percentage is what matters. The real reason it dropped as much as it did (on top of 3 straight losing seasons) wasn't gameday design, it was losing to Maryland after having a day game against Maryland instead of a night game against Notre Dame for the season opener. Here's a game-by-game comparison

2016 - att - 2017 - att

Notre Dame 9/4 6:30pm - 102,315 - Maryland 9/2 11:00am - 88,396
UTEP 9/10 6:00pm - 92,863 - San Jose State 9/9 2:30pm - 88,117
Iowa State 10/15 6:00pm - 96,851 - Kansas State 10/7 6:00pm - 90,462
Baylor 10/29 6:45pm - 97,822 - Oklahoma State 10/21 11:00am - 92,506
West Virginia 11/12 11:00am - 98,367 - Kansas 11/11 5:00pm - 96,557
TCU 11/25 2:30pm - 99,065 - Texas Tech 11/24 7:00pm - 100,629

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Goodman said:

lol. Without that period we do not get a top 3 AD. Also, not sure you understand how Patterson got this job in the first place.

You obviously do not follow the history of our administration to understand why we continued to flick our own dicks.

Our future is brighter than ever with CDC. The process and systems he is implementing are scalable, if he gets hit by a bus we will not crumble. That is news.

Lets see...you are obviously proud of the administration...Got it...Me - I think two conference titles in 21 years is a little low for the wealthiest program in the country...if money was the ticket to success UT would have succeeded... 

• Fuck You 5

2 minutes ago, Huckleberry said:

Actual analysis would say that Texas Tech's drop was larger because percentage is what matters. The real reason it dropped as much as it did (on top of 3 straight losing seasons) wasn't gameday design, it was losing to Maryland after having a day game against Maryland instead of a night game against Notre Dame for the season opener. Here's a game-by-game comparison

2016 - att - 2017 - att

Notre Dame 9/4 6:30pm - 102,315 - Maryland 9/2 11:00am - 88,396
UTEP 9/10 6:00pm - 92,863 - San Jose State 9/9 2:30pm - 88,117
Iowa State 10/15 6:00pm - 96,851 - Kansas State 10/7 6:00pm - 90,462
Baylor 10/29 6:45pm - 97,822 - Oklahoma State 10/21 11:00am - 92,506
West Virginia 11/12 11:00am - 98,367 - Kansas 11/11 5:00pm - 96,557
TCU 11/25 2:30pm - 99,065 - Texas Tech 11/24 7:00pm - 100,629

Thanks for making my point...Texas has lost more people in the seats than any other program. As long as the school focuses on two types of fans (those that like to party before the game and wealthy alums) it will be at the expense of other types of fans...bad decision.

• Fuck You 5

1 minute ago, Artie Fatso said:

Lets see...you are obviously proud of the administration...Got it...Me - I think two conference titles in 21 years is a little low for the wealthiest program in the country...if money was the ticket to success UT would have succeeded... 

I don't understand how any of what happened under Dodds or Patterson impacts whether CDC is going to be successful.

57 minutes ago, Goodman said:

What a bunch of whiny bitches y'all are, on the eve of our season opener no less.

CDC makes more of an effort to keep us peasants informed than any fuckstick we've had in Belmont, ever. The guy holds his department accountable on twitter, get him a coop statue asap. I don't care about the shade of orange, if someone spends cash, time and effort to represent the 40 - applaud them. 

FCB.

One guy is whining about CDC. Everyone else is perfectly fine to mock clown shoes being pawned off as burnt orange boots, I don't care who is wearing them.

6 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

I realize that you're rolling here, but in reality, CDC is not responsible for the sins of the past. Not even last season. He was hired in December of 2017 and damn near everything he's done since he got here is benefiting the Texas brand, which, as an alum, is what I want to see from the athletics program at Texas. What Dodds, Patterson and Perrin did is on them. I've got no issues ranting about them or their behaviors, but projecting it onto CDC is bizarre. This almost looks like some of elaborate troll job. But feel free to work yourself up further before you go have your afternoon nap.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Bill Lumbergh said:

I don't understand how any of what happened under Dodds or Patterson impacts whether CDC is going to be successful.

Dodds, Patterson, the interim and now CDC...they are all about advancing the idea wealthy people will have their interests advanced ahead of other people. The university under CDC is going to double down on the party lifestyle that has driven off many fans who don't care to be in the middle of that at a public college football game. He advances closing in the south end of the end zone, largely for the benefit of wealthy alums. He throws bones to the masses and everyone is doing the happy dance...in my book that is not a good thing for state funded higher education. Its like those here that assert the money is coming from private donors. Fifty million of it is coming through bonds that taxpayers underwrite. How has Texas improved over the past 21 years (since the addition of the second deck on the east side)? Two conference titles? Royal had eleven in 20 years and never made more than $58000 as the coach. John Mackovic had three titles during his short tenure. My point is not to beat the drum for the good old days, its simply to point out the millions spent the past two decades didn't move the needle much in terms of on the field success. Why should anyone believe more money and improvements are the answer? Clemson has won four conference titles in 21 years. FSU has won 10, lowly okie has won 11, Alabama has won 6, Stanford has won 4 and Oregon has won 6. Texas problem is wealthy alumni meddling in the process and the obsession with making money. Hopefully the horns will do much better going forward but it won't be because of the AD or the alums he answers to...

• Fuck You 6

14 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

One guy is whining about CDC. Everyone else is perfectly fine to mock clown shoes being pawned off as burnt orange boots, I don't care who is wearing them.

I realize that you're rolling here, but in reality, CDC is not responsible for the sins of the past. Not even last season. He was hired in December of 2017 and damn near everything he's done since he got here is benefiting the Texas brand, which, as an alum, is what I want to see from the athletics program at Texas. What Dodds, Patterson and Perrin did is on them. I've got no issues ranting about them or their behaviors, but projecting it onto CDC is bizarre. This almost looks like some of elaborate troll job. But feel free to work yourself up further before you go have your afternoon nap.

I got it - you have no response to the full texts to what I wrote and explained. You side with the fans who are happy with underachievement and making sure the structure and leadership of the athletic program remain essentially as it was under Deloss Dodds - feed the hungry alums what they want - an air conditioned seat to swirl scotch and think about who they should hire to replace Herman and his group if they don't produce. No problem. Nothing like paying more for less.

• Fuck You 3

6 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

Dodds, Patterson, the interim and now CDC...they are all about advancing the idea wealthy people will have their interests advanced ahead of other people. The university under CDC is going to double down on the party lifestyle that has driven off many fans who don't care to be in the middle of that at a public college football game.

You've got some deep-seated issues relating to wealthy people and alcohol use.  You might want to spend some time making sure you're okay before continuing to post.  Maybe take some "me" time, bud.  Go on a hike or a walk.  Get some fresh air.  It's all going to be okay.

Edited by Katfid54
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

Correcting a mistake is great... Tell us now about the 175 million dollars being spent to build more space for the wealthy folks who don't want to sit in the sun. I guess thats okey dokey with you? The entire campus tailgating party is a farce and has been since it started. It is literally full of drunks who wander in and are not even going to the game. I guess in your book the people paying to get inside should have to run the gauntlet of AA rejects to get to the gates and then to their seats? As for your contention things will all be paid for by donors, I suggest you get educated about what a bond is and who has to underwrite it. ( https://www.kxan.com/news/local/austin/dkr-stadium-could-get-175m-for-additions-to-south-end-zone/1356547626 ) My master plan for the stadium would been to have included a healthy _ 16 - 20 foot breezeway through the north end seating so air could get through. The same would be in the south end zone. I would have zero luxury seating for anyone and have more seats for the regular people who pay to see games. I would quire the school fully punish their guidelines for ticket sales and ensure there is equity built into the system instead of giving the same wealthy alums the same seats every year as if they owned some personal seat license. Lose the arms race? What will any stadium improvement do to help with this fictional "arms race" you write about? Seriously, attendance is already down.The last thing that would ever surprise me is someone like yourself showing concern for other people. Next question?

First, thanks for pointing out that part of the renovations will be financed through RFS.  I didn't realize that.  Also $50 million in bonds through RFS is nominal relative to how many other schools have financed athletic department expenditures.

My next question would be, why zero luxury seating?  If someone wants to pay $10M for a 10-year lease on a luxury box, what does that matter to you?  The suite most certainly did not actually cost $10M to construct and it will continue to generate revenue after the initial term is up.  If you genuinely think that $175M is going to be spent solely on luxury seating, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't know what to tell you about drunks at games.  I would venture to say that in general, college football games are not a place teetotallers would feel at home and never have been.  

The college football arms race I referenced has been written about ad nauseum for the last 20 years.  Facilities matter.  Gameday atmosphere matters.  Your writing on these subjects leads me to believe you are either trolling or not quite the football fan you claim to be.

5 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

Dodds, Patterson, the interim and now CDC...they are all about advancing the idea wealthy people will have their interests advanced ahead of other people. The university under CDC is going to double down on the party lifestyle that has driven off many fans who don't care to be in the middle of that at a public college football game. He advances closing in the south end of the end zone, largely for the benefit of wealthy alums. He throws bones to the masses and everyone is doing the happy dance...in my book that is not a good thing for state funded higher education. Its like those here that assert the money is coming from private donors. Fifty million of it is coming through bonds that taxpayers underwrite. How has Texas improved over the past 21 years (since the addition of the second deck on the east side)? Two conference titles? Royal had eleven in 20 years and never made more than $58000 as the coach. John Mackovic had three titles during his short tenure. My point is not to beat the drum for the good old days, its simply to point out the millions spent the past two decades didn't move the needle much in terms of on the field success. Why should anyone believe more money and improvements are the answer? Clemson has won four conference titles in 21 years. FSU has won 10, lowly okie has won 11, Alabama has won 6, Stanford has won 4 and Oregon has won 6. Texas problem is wealthy alumni meddling in the process and the obsession with making money. Hopefully the horns will do much better going forward but it won't be because of the AD or the alums he answers to...

I think the problem is no one knows what your ultimate point is.  You are suggesting that spending all of this money on coaches and stadium expansion has hurt Texas' results on the field, but it is not clear how you think Texas should improve those results.  Are you suggesting that removing the upper deck and paying less for the coaching staff is more likely to lead to better on-field results?  

1 minute ago, Texas Wahoo said:

I think the problem is no one knows what your ultimate point is.  You are suggesting that spending all of this money on coaches and stadium expansion has hurt Texas' results on the field, but it is not clear how you think Texas should improve those results.  Are you suggesting that removing the upper deck and paying less for the coaching staff is more likely to lead to better on-field results?  

Oh, he said he wants ZERO luxury seating.  Guess he's sick of Scrooge McDuck swimming around in his luxury box full of gold coins.  We need 108,000 stone cold sober people sitting on steal bleachers with no backs, to be the fair public institution we are supposed to be.

• Like 2

Just now, Wally Banger said:

First, thanks for pointing out that part of the renovations will be financed through RFS.  I didn't realize that.  Also $50 million in bonds through RFS is nominal relative to how many other schools have financed athletic department expenditures.

My next question would be, why zero luxury seating?  If someone wants to pay $10M for a 10-year lease on a luxury box, what does that matter to you?  The suite most certainly did not actually cost $10M to construct and it will continue to generate revenue after the initial term is up.  If you genuinely think that $175M is going to be spent solely on luxury seating, I don't know what to tell you.

I don't know what to tell you about drunks at games.  I would venture to say that in general, college football games are not a place teetotallers would feel at home and never have been.  

The college football arms race I referenced has been written about ad nauseum for the last 20 years.  Facilities matter.  Gameday atmosphere matters.  Your writing on these subjects leads me to believe you are either trolling or not quite the football fan you claim to be.

You ask good questions...No luxury seating because the University of Texas is a public enterprise owned by the citizens of Texas. Its a very big issues to me because I don think college football at public universities should be a minor league sport controlled by an oligarchy of wealthy alumni. Why should they be able to pony up ten million and have any oe right than I do or Joe Schmoo? UT games did very well for over a hundred years without tailgate parties and booze in the stadium. Your inference is money is the deciding factor. Clearly at Texas it has been a non-factor since the east side stadium expansion in the late 90's. Have you ever been to Stanford and seen their facilities? FSU? Miami? I have been to all those schools and seen their facilities...they are nothing to write home about and all those schools do at least as well as Texas. My point is stop thinking about money and start thinking about what college football is suppose to be about. Texas is ten times the school of anyone it plays (with the rare exception of when they play Stanford)... they can do much better and their facilities are just fine the way they are. Jesus, they are getting ready to bulldoze their basketball arena and its in excellent condition. 

• Fuck You 7

1 minute ago, Wally Banger said:

Oh, he said he wants ZERO luxury seating.  Guess he's sick of Scrooge McDuck swimming around in his luxury box full of gold coins.  We need 108,000 stone cold sober people sitting on steal bleachers with no backs, to be the fair public institution we are supposed to be.

And Herman needs to agree to reduce his salary to $57,999, because surely he doesn't think he should make as much as or more than the legendary DKR did, right?!?!

I got it - you have no response to the full texts to what I wrote and explained. You side with the fans who are happy with underachievement and making sure the structure and leadership of the athletic program remain essentially as it was under Deloss Dodds - feed the hungry alums what they want - an air conditioned seat to swirl scotch and think about who they should hire to replace Herman and his group if they don't produce. No problem. Nothing like paying more for less.

One piece of that tenured "structure and leadership" has been Polonsky.  And I say "leadership" only if your definition includes cancerous.  Del Conte is phasing her out.  Say whatever you want about him but pushing that tumor out of Bellmont is, in itself, one of the biggest and most important moves any AD at Texas could make.  Too bad it's about 20+ years overdue. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Artie Fatso said:

You're a stupid fucking idiot or an inept troll. Either way, I hope you get enough downvotes to get your ass banned. Also, Patterson/Perrin introduced the Booze, not CDC. You do realize this will be his first football season as Texas AD, right? (Narrator: The Troll did not). 

Go fuck yourself you fucking idiot. Take your fucking socialist whining over to the politics board, or better yet, go get hit by a bus. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Fuck You 1

16 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

I like to think that I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, and then I attempt to follow something like the diatribe you're unfolding here on this thread and it becomes clear to me that sometimes, I just can't keep up. I'll be blunt - I don't know what in the fuck is happening here with your posts. It feels like performance art or something.

Reading your apeshit text blobs is going to drive me to drinking earlier than normal on a Friday afternoon. By drinking, I mean alcohol, and by alcohol, I mean margaritas, and by margaritas, I mean I'm going to pound like 5 of them, then mock you as I piss into a latrine at a texmex joint. Judge me if you must, Bernie Sandershorn. If your head doesn't explode from carrying the blood pressure of the Incredible Hulk, I hope you get to enjoy the win tomorrow, in between bitter rampages screamed at the late morning sun, of course.

It's rare for me to offer this to someone, but you may want to ponder lightening up for a bit. You've landed on this thread like a human hand grenade.

Edited by closetojumping
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

5 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

Jesus, they are getting ready to bulldoze their basketball arena and its in excellent condition. 

You know the reason they are bulldozing the basketball arena has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with the Medical School, right?  It's not like they are buldozing it to make room for a giant luxury swimming pool full of scotch.

Just now, Katfid54 said:

And Herman needs to agree to reduce his salary to $57,999, because surely he doesn't think he should make as much as or more than the legendary DKR did, right?!?!

People like you went along with paying Mack Brown around fifty to sixty million over 16 years. For that you got 2 conference titles. How many titles ave you gotten in basketball the past twenty years? Have you compared those results to other schools like OU and Kansas? My point is at UT there is zero correlation between money spent and team achievement. Hell, Mack's conference winning percentage (at the time of his firing) was the worst since Chevingny in the 1930's... Go ahead, make your case that money makes a difference. 

• Fuck You 4

1 minute ago, closetojumping said:

I like to think that I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, and then I attempt to follow something like the diatribe your unfolding here on this thread and it becomes clear to me that sometimes, I just can't keep up. I'll be blunt - I don't know what in the fuck is happening here with your posts. It feels like performance art or something.

Reading your apeshit text blobs is going to drive me to drinking earlier than normal on a Friday afternoon. By drinking, I mean alcohol, and by alcohol, I mean margaritas, and by margaritas, I mean I'm going to pound like 5 of them, then mock you as I piss into a latrine at a texmex joint. Judge me if you must, Bernie Sandershorn. If your head doesn't explode from carrying the blood pressure of the Incredible Hulk, I hope you get to enjoy the win tomorrow, in between bitter rampages screamed at the late morning sun, of course.

It's rare for me to offer this to someone, but you may want to ponder lightening up for a bit. You've landed on this thread like a human hand grenade.

Maybe your not?

2 minutes ago, Texas Wahoo said:

You know the reason they are bulldozing the basketball arena has nothing to do with sports and everything to do with the Medical School, right?  It's not like they are buldozing it to make room for a giant luxury swimming pool full of scotch.

Oh I get it - athletics wasn't involved...you might consider they did not bulldoze Memorial stadium 

• Fuck You 2

2 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

You ask good questions...No luxury seating because the University of Texas is a public enterprise owned by the citizens of Texas. Its a very big issues to me because I don think college football at public universities should be a minor league sport controlled by an oligarchy of wealthy alumni. Why should they be able to pony up ten million and have any oe right than I do or Joe Schmoo? UT games did very well for over a hundred years without tailgate parties and booze in the stadium. Your inference is money is the deciding factor. Clearly at Texas it has been a non-factor since the east side stadium expansion in the late 90's. Have you ever been to Stanford and seen their facilities? FSU? Miami? I have been to all those schools and seen their facilities...they are nothing to write home about and all those schools do at least as well as Texas. My point is stop thinking about money and start thinking about what college football is suppose to be about. Texas is ten times the school of anyone it plays (with the rare exception of when they play Stanford)... they can do much better and their facilities are just fine the way they are. Jesus, they are getting ready to bulldoze their basketball arena and its in excellent condition. 

Dude. 

From May of this year:

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/sports/college/fsu/football/2018/05/17/fsu-still-exploring-all-options-football-facility-upgrades/618468002/

"Florida State is in the middle of the planning process to catch its football program up in the facilities arms race."

Also, Stanford tore its 84-year old stadium to the ground and built a $90M stadium in its place in 2006.  And I bet they are already planning renovations to that.

When the UT System issues bonds, it's not placing any real risk on tax payers.  Its actually managing its enormous coffers responsibly.  When the University of Texas builds luxury seating at the behest of wealthy individual donors, it's not putting the average citizen out, it's providing a service in return for revenue it would not otherwise realize.  You're not basing your view of college football in reality, you're attacking an athletic director and his department for making changes that don't fit your worldview of how college athletics should be run since the beginning of time.  Good luck tilting at that windmill, comrade.  I'm done.

Just now, closetojumping said:

I already caught it and added the edit, dickhead.

5 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

I like to think that I'm a reasonably intelligent guy, and then I attempt to follow something like the diatribe you're unfolding here on this thread and it becomes clear to me that sometimes, I just can't keep up. I'll be blunt - I don't know what in the fuck is happening here with your posts. It feels like performance art or something.

It's rare for me to offer this to someone, but you may want to ponder lightening up for a bit, dickhead. You've landed on this thread like a human hand grenade.

People like you went along with paying Mack Brown around fifty to sixty million over 16 years. For that you got 2 conference titles. How many titles ave you gotten in basketball the past twenty years? Have you compared those results to other schools like OU and Kansas? My point is at UT there is zero correlation between money spent and team achievement. Hell, Mack's conference winning percentage (at the time of his firing) was the worst since Chevingny in the 1930's... Go ahead, make your case that money makes a difference. 

OU was able to pay Bob Stoops in bushels of dicks. Don't you think that if Texas could have gotten off that cheaply with Mack Brown, they would have?

Jesus man, it's too bad you're such a wet blanket....you of all people need a damn drink man.  I'm glad you don't have season tickets because you sound like a horror to be seated next to.  If you don't want any part of anything that can be considered "rowdy", just stay the fuck at home and keep your mouth shut.  This is college football man.  If you really think money doesn't matter in college sports, you have achieved a whole new level of idiocy.  I'm starting to think you must be a shitty troll because the level of stupidity is beyond what I previously thought was humanly possible

You have backed yourself into some really weird corners on this thread.  As examples, you think:

• There should be no luxury seating options at DKR, because rich people should not have any "rights" that "Joe Fan" does not.
  • There should be no alcohol sold at DKR because "some people" don't like to "hang out with drunks"
  • There should be no tailgating before DKR games because UT did well "for 100 years" before tailgates existed.  [This statement is almost certainly false.]
  • We should not pay coaches millions of dollars (and, presumably, they should work for free, right?), because we paid Mack a lot of money and he only won two conference titles.

Any more hot takes, Friedrich Engels?

3 minutes ago, closetojumping said:

OU was able to pay Bob Stoops in bushels of dicks. Don't you think that if Texas could have gotten off that cheaply with Mack Brown, they would have?

LOL...I get it, this is the best defense you have for paying 50 - 60 million for two conference titles. No wonder things have gotten worse after Mack...hopefully Herman will get it turned around, but if he does it won't be because of the Texas athletics master plan

• Fuck You 8

1 minute ago, gurt said:

We've been doing it all wrong!  Instead of more money, less wins, why haven't we been doing less money, more wins?!

I am willing to bet you and anyone on this board could have won two conference titles at Texas over 16 years at a considerable savings to the school...but, hey, its important not to point the finger in the direction of those who made frustration the norm.

• Fuck You 7

2 minutes ago, Katfid54 said:

You have backed yourself into some really weird corners on this thread.  As examples, you think:

• There should be no luxury seating options at DKR, because rich people should not have any "rights" that "Joe Fan" does not.
  • There should be no alcohol sold at DKR because "some people" don't like to "hang out with drunks"
  • There should be no tailgating before DKR games because UT did well "for 100 years" before tailgates existed.  [This statement is almost certainly false.]
  • We should not pay coaches millions of dollars (and, presumably, they should work for free, right?), because we paid Mack a lot of money and he only won two conference titles.

Any more hot takes, Friedrich Engels?

He also wants a cool breeze and a glass of un-sweetened ice tea.

I mean, what's with all the sweeteners at DKR these days? That stuff will kill you.

Just now, Artie Fatso said:

I am willing to bet you and anyone on this board could have won two conference titles at Texas over 16 years at a considerable savings to the school...but, hey, its important not to point the finger in the direction of those who made frustration the norm.

Since you're obviously not rich and are just "Joe Fan," I am extremely confident that you can't actually pull off the execution of this bet.  Nevertheless, I hereby accept your bet.  Please name your price.

23 minutes ago, Artie Fatso said:

main-qimg-c334d6f3482061c3a1749a1264cdd0

Sorry, could you repeat that?

In all seriousness, I finally follow where you're coming from.

I think you're horribly wrong, and that following your preferred plan would result in our program a) falling disastrously behind the trend of where cfb is heading and b) failing to deliver what most fans and players want/expect today, but I do understand. 

LOL...I get it, this is the best defense you have for paying 50 - 60 million for two conference titles. No wonder things have gotten worse after Mack...hopefully Herman will get it turned around, but if he does it won't be because of the Texas athletics master plan

You have me pegged. I'm a sycophant for Belmont and you've uncovered it for all to see.